Goalies

Old
07-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Goalies

Are you guys happy with the Turco-Smith tandem we've got going into the season?

I think trading Turco was an enticing option, one that would have brought us back a really solid winger, but then we would've had to downgrade in net through UFA or trade. So until next year's playoffs, I'm fine with Turco remaining the main man in Dallas. And I'm looking forward to Smith stepping up and taking part in the Stars regular season....hopefully he performs well and there isn't a rotating door goalie situation between Iowa and Dallas.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2006, 11:15 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
I like Smith. I don't know much about him but the Iowa fans seemed to like him a lot so thats why I do LOL. Granted the AHL and NHL are very different but still I think we can expect some good things from him.

Everyone pretty much knows what I think of Turco...but I'm willing to give him one more shot...not like I have a choice.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Stars-Preds

I'm fine with the Turco-Smith tandem. It was time to give Smith a shot and since this seems to be a re-loading (not rebuilding say the Stars) type of season might as well see what he can do.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 09:23 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
i'd go with Turco-Ellis....Smith needs some playing time down in Iowa and he wouldn't see really much of it in Dallas...

Walzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:19 AM
oozer

I can't see why so many people think that Smith should be the backup. Yes he got 3 assists in one game last year but he didn't tear up the league in wins. As a matter of fact he finished at 500 even though he was what, 4th in the league in goals against. If you played San Antonio 6 times last season then your stats were pretty good. His save % in shootouts got as high as 69 after many tries. Handling the puck more than you should doesn't make you a good puck handler, it just ups the chances that you will get an assist when there is a goal. A goaltender's first job is to stop the pucks that are shot on net, not to worry about getting creative in the corners.

oozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Dr GLU

Smith has the inside track in being the backup for the same reason Hedberg was brought in last year: while his style is not identical to Turco's, it's similar enough that the team won't have to vastly alter playing style whenever he's in.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:47 AM
Starsdude

Agree with Glu. Ellis's stickhandling is not real good. He freezes the puck a bunch and too me looks jumpy at times and small in the net although I have to say I did not see him last year. Ellis is also 2 years older. I assume the stars want to see what Smith can do, stephan could also be a factor later in the year if he has success. Ellis looks to be an AHL goalie to me.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
oozer

Think about what you are saying GLU - it's like saying that the goalie has to play the puck more because he and the coaching staff don't have the confidence in the defense to get the job done. So what if the defense has to skate 2 or 3 more strides to get back for the puck. The undisputable fact is, goalies who think they are puckhandlers just aren't getting the job done in the net because too much of their focus is on playing the puck. Hedberg wasn't a big stickhandler so the Dallas defense had to play differently when he was in the net. I don't think they really care as long as they pull on a win for their efforts. The only tender who struck a healthy balance between puck handling and making stops was Brodeur. He used common sense as to when to play the puck and when not to and rarely gave up bad goals because of overplaying the puck.

Old
07-11-2006, 11:52 AM
oozer

Also, here's a question for you - why in 4 years has Dallas never put Smith in net for a season game? What's up with that? He was up in Dallas last season and they could have put him in for one but didn't.

Old
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
oozer

I think that if Marty sat down and talked to Dr. Phil about his puckhandling style that Dr. Phil would ask him "And how is that working for you?" I think that some goalies who go out to play the puck often are ones who aren't very confident about making the stop if/when it gets to the net. Sure a great pass from a goalie can speed up the offense and create an odd man rush but when a goalie relies on this strategy constantly then he is not working on stopping the puck and therefore loses confidence in his ability to do so. Flopping around aka. Hasek and depending on your size only to make saves does not create a positional goaltender. Shooters aka. Rob Brind Amour - feast on the goalies who don't develp puckhandling discretion. In regard to a goalie freezing a puck, would you rather he gave out a big fat juicy rebound?

Old
07-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Dr GLU

The big problem with Ellis has always been rebound control. In the years he's been a pro, I've always come away from camp thinking that if he could control his rebounds he could be a solid goalie. But he's never been able to get a handle on it. That worrys me more than a guy that will overplay the puck.

I don't know which games you were watching because Hedberg handled the puck quite a bit. He may not have been making tape-to-tape passes, but he was quick to jump out and flip the puck out of the zone. He cut down the touches the D had to make.

And I'm not saying that the defense can't handle it. But when you've got a goalie who starts the breakout as opposed to one that sits in net, the team as a whole often times can have trouble adjusting positioning. Go back to the season before the lockout and the Turco-Tugnutt tandem. Those games with Tugnutt in net were often ugly as the Stars tried to find how exactly they had to play with a different style goalie around.

Why in 4 years has Smith not been in net in the NHL? Simple. It's called development. He came out of the OHL a marginal prospect and has tuned his game significantly to the point where he's just now ready to get a shot at the NHL. Ellis, on the other hand, came out of college seen as a guy who could possibly play soon and well but hasn't really progressed at all. Seeing as how they're basically even in their ability to stop the puck, I'll take the guy that's made strides whether he overplays the puck or not. He at least has shown some indication that he will get better.

Old
07-11-2006, 01:05 PM
oozer

Yes Hedberg played the puck, as does Ellis but neither one of them makes it the basis of their game. Ellis had assists last year too. Ellis is excellent at putting rebounds away from the play. No pro scouting report has ever stated that he has rebound control. Ellis rose to the occasion no matter where Dallas chose to put him. ECHL - went in and won a championship in his first year of pro and was MVP of the playoffs. That was the same year as a 23 year old that Dallas played him against LA and they won. In Hamilton, as Smith was in Houston, he played on a team with poor defense and when the team started to turn around defensively Hamilton played their prospect instead. In Iowa Ellis had 2 winning streaks to Smith's one, he finished 3rd in the league in shootout save % showing again that whenever he was given the team to run with they did great. Oh yes and Ellis finished the season above 500. One more thing about Ellis - you never saw him having a cow on the ice breaking sticks and going after referees. You can call that passion but I call it showboating. aka. mohawk Ellis is the only Dallas goalie that has taken a team to a championship and won. He has jumped through more hoops and had more success in his 3 years of pro than Smith has had in 4. We'll never know how Ellis could have done had coach Allison put him in against Milwaukee will we?

Old
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by oozer View Post
No pro scouting report has ever stated that he has rebound control.
I'm sure you have access to pro scouting reports. I'm going by my own eyes.

I'll grant that Ellis has done more leading a team the Smith in past, but he's still not a better goalie than Smith at the moment. The stats last year and who was in net down the stretch for Iowa bear that out. At best, they're a wash.

I don't like using shootout stats as an indicator either. If that's the case, then Mike Morrison (.846) is a better goalie than Martin Brodeur (.611) in the NHL.

You're letting things get a little personal. You may not like the prospect of Smith being the backup, but there's no need to start getting hostile and aggressive about these things, especially since we have no control over it. Hell, Stephan might beat them both out.

Old
07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
oozer

I'm not getting hostile and aggressive. I'm not trying to get personal. I just want people to look at the facts and not make decisions based on emotions. The new NHL is all about shootouts so you better have goaltenders who can make those saves. Scouting reports on players are available online by the way. We'll just have to see what Dallas wants in their backup. One thing for sure, Smith and Ellis are different as night and day in many respects. Team chemistry will also no doubt play a role in their decision.

Old
07-11-2006, 07:00 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oozer View Post
Also, here's a question for you - why in 4 years has Dallas never put Smith in net for a season game? What's up with that? He was up in Dallas last season and they could have put him in for one but didn't.
....Ellis only play one game in the past 4 years for Dallas also. Smith was a back up for one game last season.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote