HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumor and Proposals Thread Vol. 3: The one where the Oilers win every trade

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 07:42 PM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Kulemin is 6'1" and 225lbs. He is hardly small.
You see I didn't know that, When I see Kulemin on the ice he looks no where near 6'1" and 225lbs, but still Hemsky is head and shoulders above Kulemin while only 3 years older.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:43 PM
ZugNugget

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Sometimes Oiler fans need to actually watch the games of the teams they want to acquire players from.

Kulemin has been mediocre or bad this season in many of the games. He hasn't done much at all.

Bailey since his return has done nothing significant, him and Okposo are both struggling.
I have watched Kulemin. He's 0.5ppg. He's a big body that wins battles. He's pretty great defensively. He's matched up against opponents' top offensive players at home.

He's a top-6 LWer, too. Something we have 1 of on the Oilers. Why not trade one of our 3 Top-6 RWers for him?

Old
02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
I have watched Kulemin. He's 0.5ppg. He's a big body that wins battles. He's pretty great defensively. He's matched up against opponents' top offensive players at home.

He's a top-6 LWer, too. Something we have 1 of on the Oilers. Why not trade one of our 3 Top-6 RWers for him?
because our 3 RW are elite and Kulemin would not be an improvent over playing one of them at LW. All our RWs are .5 ppg+

What do you mean he "wins battles"
If he won "battles" he'd've scored way more points by now.
Since when is -2 great defensively...

Old
02-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:

Kulemin has been invisible, lets be honest. So far watching the Leafs forwards, most of the chances have been JVR/Kessel/Bozak. Komarov has been hitting, Kadri has made some interesting passing plays, and Orr/McLaren have been hitting and fighting (and scoring lately lol). McClement has recently played well defensively. The invisible forwards are the ones that are being rumored as available, other than Grabovski, who has been inconsistent. Being:
MacArthur and Kulemin.

Recently, he's shown he's a 3rd line LW. Hemsky has and is definitely better than Kulemin. I would never make that swap. MacArthur was a possibility but he has 3 measly points and seems to have lost a bit of the form he had two years ago as a lankier physical scorer.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Shanahanigans

Gagner's an RFA after this season. Do we resign him? In my opinion, we should try and go after Tyler Bozak. You probably won't get a 6'4 220 pound 2nd line centre through free agency, and as much as I like Gagner, I think a player like Bozak fits our top 6 more. 6'1 200 pounds, very good defensively and on the faceoff dot, good along the boards and had 117 hits last year.

Thoughts?

Old
02-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
Gagner's an RFA after this season. Do we resign him? In my opinion, we should try and go after Tyler Bozak. You probably won't get a 6'4 220 pound 2nd line centre through free agency, and as much as I like Gagner, I think a player like Bozak fits our top 6 more. 6'1 200 pounds, very good defensively and on the faceoff dot, good along the boards and had 117 hits last year.

Thoughts?
Gagner is equal to or better than Bozak, I also wouldn't say "very" good defensively, he has his moments but nothing that truly stands out.

Gagner is good. If we upgrade on Gagner, it's going to have to be a guy developed in our system who is bigger than just 6'1 or much more skilled. The following players are the clear upgrades on Gagner we need (and likely unattainable)
Bergeron
J.Staal
O'Reilly
M. Richards
Plekanec
Zajac (which would have brought some debate)
Lecavalier
Kesler

There are other guys who would bring debate (think Hanzal, Nielsen, Bozak, Weiss, Filppula etc.) but really, Gagner isn't a bad No.2 C when you really think about it. I think the better issue to bring up is how to improve on Horcoff. If we amnesty Horcoff, a lot of those guys we debate about would be great third line C's, such as:
Bolland
Umberger
Legwand
Nielsen
Couturier
Hanzal
Bozak
Weiss would be more of a 2A

Old
02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
I'll take a 6'1 centre over a 5'11 centre anyday of the week. Not to mention reuniting Bailey and Hall together with Eberle.
Oh god, this is silly.
In what world is Bailey a better option than Gagner except for the fact that he's a little bigger?

First i see one poster saying that Eberle has a long ways to go to get to Hemsky's level and now Bailey is a better option than Gagner? Is this Crazy Sunday at HFOil?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:08 PM
DousedInOil

Trade our leading scorer for a guy with 1 point his year. How could I say no?

Old
02-17-2013, 10:17 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
I'll take a 6'1 centre over a 5'11 centre anyday of the week. Not to mention reuniting Bailey and Hall together with Eberle.
Colin Fraser > Gagner

Old
02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Agreed. Bailey is terrible - not sure why anyone would think he's a useful addition to our top 6. Gagner is far better.

And yes, Hemmer is much better than Nino (at least at the moment). But I'd still take Nino in a package deal that would send Hemmer the other way. We need to start addressing some of the deficiencies on this team. And a legit power forward that can own the boards and go hard to the net is a big hole. This team needs to get bigger and meaner and harder to play against. That's going to happen at the expense of Gagner or Hemsky.
The whole idea of making a trade is to improve the team. Trading Hemsky for Niederreiter (even Nino +) doesn't make us a better team. There's a very real chance Nino never comes close to being the player Hemsky is today. I'd be all for aquiring him, but certainly not at the cost of Gagner or Hemsky. Both of those players would be available in the right deal, but a Nino package certainly isn't that IMO. Neiderreiter is a minor league player at the moment who has already asked for a trade once this year. If we really wanted to get him, I doubt it would take Hemsky to make it happen. And is Niederreiter that much of an upgrade on Hartikainen to make trading our leading goal scorer and best player for almost a decade for?

Quote:
Reuniting Bailey and Hall is a much better situation for Bailey than it is for Hall or the Oilers. Bailey and Hall played one season together. Hall has just as much "built-in" chemistry with Bailey as he does with Horcoff.

02-17-2013, 10:23 PM
ZugNugget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Kulemin has been invisible, lets be honest. So far watching the Leafs forwards, most of the chances have been JVR/Kessel/Bozak. Komarov has been hitting, Kadri has made some interesting passing plays, and Orr/McLaren have been hitting and fighting (and scoring lately lol). McClement has recently played well defensively. The invisible forwards are the ones that are being rumored as available, other than Grabovski, who has been inconsistent. Being:
MacArthur and Kulemin.

Recently, he's shown he's a 3rd line LW. Hemsky has and is definitely better than Kulemin. I would never make that swap. MacArthur was a possibility but he has 3 measly points and seems to have lost a bit of the form he had two years ago as a lankier physical scorer.
He's been good in four of the six Leafs games I've watched this season and in many more the past few seasons. Just because he's been inconsistent for 15 games doesn't mean he's not a good option. A bigger second liner putting up 0.5ppg while being responsible defensively is a perfect fit for this team.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:30 PM
SDig14

I still think rolling with these lines would be a big upgrade:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov

Now, who on the Oilers knows Clowe personally and can actually convince him to come? Lol.

It's too bad every free agent didn't hold meetings like Schultz, we could send Ralph and the kids to convince a bunch of guys...

Old
02-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
He's been good in four of the six Leafs games I've watched this season and in many more the past few seasons. Just because he's been inconsistent for 15 games doesn't mean he's not a good option. A bigger second liner putting up 0.5ppg while being responsible defensively is a perfect fit for this team.
A 41 point player is better than a 60 point player?

Unless the defensive qualities are vast in difference, which they aren't, I disagree.

We need guys that are better defensively and more responsible but that isn't the right trade for us. You actually could make the argument that Paajarvi could develop into a .5 PPG player that's defensively responsible, so we may already have that asset.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
I still think rolling with these lines would be a big upgrade:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov

Now, who on the Oilers knows Clowe personally and can actually convince him to come? Lol.

It's too bad every free agent didn't hold meetings like Schultz, we could send Ralph and the kids to convince a bunch of guys...
With the latest Sharks woes Clowe is on the list of players the fans want to run out of town. Wilson, however, probably has more patience than an arm chair GM.

Nonetheless, Clowe has been playing more of a set-up role than goal scorer the past two seasons. Although this is not what the Sharks value as much in Clowe, a big bodied playmaker on LW could compliment Yakupov and Gagner well.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
ejams

I really hope we can sign Clowe off the FA. Trade one of Eberle/Yakupov/Hemsky for a big bad top 4 defenceman.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

I really thing moving are leading scorer and our top goal scorer right now will be a bad mistake. This team needs all the offence it can get, and if we push close to a playoff spot or hopefully be in one fa will start signing here imo.Moving those 2 with out getting similar offence back will definately send us back down the standings.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:26 PM
Paralyzer008

I do really want Ryane Clowe, he is the offseason target for us in my mind.

I wouldn't mind signing these four guys:
Clowe
Streit
Weiss
Garon (welcome back!)

You amnesty Horcoff and then you can deal Hemsky or Yakupov (probably Hemsky but you never know. definitely not Eberle) for a d-man. Bogosian is an interesting guy who is an RFA in the summer, and although I did make fun of the chances earlier, the Blues have both Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk as RFA's next year, so maybe Shattenkirk could be had, but they have cap room and lots of it. OEL is an RFA, but I think Phoenix can still afford Yandle despite that.

Lets say you do something around moving Hemsky for Bogosian. BTW we probably also have to re-sign Smid here.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Weiss-Hartikainen
Smyth-Belanger-Eager

J.Schultz-Bogosian
Smid-Petry
Streit-N.Schultz
Potter/Klefbom

Dubnyk
Garon

That lineup is awesome and solid. Of course, you're always pipe dreaming when you have 4 or 5 prominent new faces in your next lineup but this is pretty good. If we can somehow offload Potter, then I would rather have Fistric as the No.7 D-man if he wanted that role. Also sucks to not have Ryan Jones back but I don't see us having the room based on this lineup. I'd prefer my 4th line as Eager-Belanger-Jones but we all know it is impossible for us to get rid of Smyth, he's here for the rest of his career whether we like it or not.

PP Units would be sick. Unit 1:
Hall/RNH/Eberle/Streit/Schultz
Unit 2: Clowe/Gagner/Weiss/Bogosian/Yakupov

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 02-17-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 11:41 PM
TowMater14

This thread is unreadable. I can't believe some of the things I am seeing on here! Rediculous.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:50 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Free agents I want to target this offseason:

Horton - I think he's just what we need in the top 6. Although he has concussion problems, he's played in the playoffs quite a bit in his career and can add some veteran presence. I have a feeling he could be the odd man out in Boston. 3 years at 4.5 per.

Or

Ryane Clowe - similar to Horton, he would add size and depth and experience to the top 9. He's not as good as Horton, but he would make a good consolation prize. 3 years at 2.5 per.

And

Jaromir Jagr - some people tossed this idea around a few years ago, he has a great relationship with Hemsky and could slot in anywhere, help be power play and help the young guys. We need some good veterans and hes one of the best all time, he would be the perfect guy. 1 year at 3 mil.

And

Rod Scuderi - I know we need top pairing defenseman, but Scuderi is a massive upgrade over Whitney and Potter on the third pairing. Him, Smid and N Schultz would be a great group of shut down guys to play against others teams top lines. He's another veteran guy with playoff experience. He also adds D depth to the roster so that we don't need to rush Klefbom in. 2 years at 2.5 mil.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post

Horton - I think he's just what we need in the top 6. Although he has concussion problems, he's played in the playoffs quite a bit in his career and can add some veteran presence. I have a feeling he could be the odd man out in Boston. 3 years at 4.5 per.

Or

Ryane Clowe - similar to Horton, he would add size and depth and experience to the top 9. He's not as good as Horton, but he would make a good consolation prize. 3 years at 2.5 per.

And

Jaromir Jagr - some people tossed this idea around a few years ago, he has a great relationship with Hemsky and could slot in anywhere, help be power play and help the young guys. We need some good veterans and hes one of the best all time, he would be the perfect guy. 1 year at 3 mil.

And

Rod Scuderi - I know we need top pairing defenseman, but Scuderi is a massive upgrade over Whitney and Potter on the third pairing. Him, Smid and N Schultz would be a great group of shut down guys to play against others teams top lines. He's another veteran guy with playoff experience. He also adds D depth to the roster so that we don't need to rush Klefbom in. 2 years at 2.5 mil.
Good list .

Old
02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Good list .
Thanks, I think if we add two of those guys it would make us a playoff team.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:

Or

And

And

Not a bad list, but on the open market:
Clowe gets 4M or more
Jagr gets 3.5M or more
Scuderi gets 3M or more

Just a pre warning

Old
02-18-2013, 12:08 AM
gooilgo
Fehr is a reptile

Quote:

Or

And

And

Horton and Clowe would both be a great fit on this team. I do think that Clowe would cost more than 2.5 million though.

I firmly believe that Mark Streit will be the defenseman we target if he makes it to free agency.

We will also be in the market for a backup goaltender.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:10 AM
HockeyOrDie
Hockey Hockey Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Good list .
Quote:
Thanks, I think if we add two of those guys it would make us a playoff team.
I think that's a good list too. Horton's concussion history really scares me though, one big hit and he could be done. And with the Oilers track record for injuries, I wouldn't wanna bet on that one not happening.

And simply because Bob has been mentioning him so often you have to think that it's coming from somewhere, but I don't mind the idea of Streit being added to that list either.

The Oilers won't have as much problem attracting free agents anymore, with the buzz around this team and now the new arena, so it's not unreasonable to think they could land some of these players.

And because I don't like the way he's handled the whole healthy scratch situation, I'd hope that Whitney picks up his play enough to create some demand on the market and then deal him for whatever i can get at the deadline.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
Psychoil

Not sure why I'm hearing yakupov trades, that's the dumbest thing we can do. This guy is going to be a bonafide goal scorer, u guys want to get rid of him?

Joke. Thats the definition of a joke

Closed Thread