HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Omark/Filatov

Old
02-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
This trade would be pointless for Edmonton

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:37 AM
Nacho
Special

vCash: 500
Truth is, most Edmonton fans knows that Omark got slew footed by his own coach... And are scared about what Linus will do when he actually gets to play, for another team that is...

Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Truth is, most Edmonton fans knows that Omark got slew footed by his own coach... And are scared about what Linus will do when he actually gets to play, for another team that is...
I like how people think his numbers in Europe increase his value. It's what you've done in the NHL that matters, not elsewhere and GM's have a short term memory.

Keaton Ellerby went for a 5th rounder. A lot of young players went for late picks, I suspect Linus goes for a mid to late pick as well if the Oilers ever decide to let him go or if he becomes a UFA or whatever.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:42 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
This trade would be pointless for Edmonton
How so? Omark isn't even playing for the Oilers affiliate. Trading him for Filatov, if he comes over, is just a change of scenery for two players that need it. Omark might get a better shot in Ottawa, hell he might even want to come back if he gets traded there. I doubt he comes back to Edmonton at this point.

Let's not pretend he's some highly sought after player either, Steve couldn't trade him this summer to anyone. Now that he's playing better, you might as well get him for something or do whatever is next for a player you qualified just to keep around.

Sauce.
Quote:
Trade rumors swirled about Omark for months. A restricted free agent this past summer, the Oilers qualified his rights rather than risk losing him for nothing via free agency. GM Steve Tambellini shopped him throughout the summer, but couldn't find any takers.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ade-stock.html

Old
02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

I just want to point out, for those who think his Swiss-A stats will translate into anything at the NHL level (and I'm not pointing fingers here - I'm just preempting this argument before it is brought up)...

When was the last time, outside of Brunner this year, that a guy in the top-20 in Swiss-A scoring had any impact whatsoever at the NHL level(3rd line or higher) after leaving the Swiss league (in a non-lockout year, of course: Joe Thornton doesn't count, haha)?

Answer:
Oleg Petrov, 1999. 14 years ago.

Wes Walz also managed to revive his career in the Swiss leagues before his surprising return to the Minnesota wild as a depth 3rd liner.

Michael Nylander spent a year in the Swiss leagues in 1996, but that was over a contract dispute, not because he couldn't find a roster spot on the flames (he'd put up 55 points the previous year)

I went back all the way to 1987. That's it: Brenner, Petrov, Wes Walz as a reclamation project, and Nylander for one season in a contract dispute.

I'm not saying Omark can't come back and play in the NHL. Far from it. I want to make that clear.
What I AM saying, however, is not to trust Swiss League stats as holding any weight as proof of anything.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
I just want to point out, for those who think his Swiss-A stats will translate into anything at the NHL level (and I'm not pointing fingers here - I'm just preempting this argument before it is brought up)...

When was the last time, outside of Brunner this year, that a guy in the top-20 in Swiss-A scoring had any impact whatsoever at the NHL level(3rd line or higher) after leaving the Swiss league (in a non-lockout year, of course: Joe Thornton doesn't count, haha)?

Answer:

Wes Walz also managed to revive his career in the Swiss leagues before his surprising return to the Minnesota wild as a depth 3rd liner.

Michael Nylander spent a year in the Swiss leagues in 1996, but that was over a contract dispute, not because he couldn't find a roster spot on the flames (he'd put up 55 points the previous year)

I went back all the way to 1987. That's it: Brenner, Petrov, Wes Walz as a reclamation project, and Nylander for one season in a contract dispute.

I'm not saying Omark can't come back and play in the NHL. Far from it. I want to make that clear.
What I AM saying, however, is not to trust Swiss League stats as holding any weight as proof of anything.
Glen Metropolit has 62pts in that league...nuff said.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Glen Metropolit has 62pts in that league...nuff said.
Right, I shuld have included him too, that's my oversight. He did have a couple of 20-ish point seasons upon returning to the NHL, I guess? Bounced around the league every year, it seemed. 5 NHL teams in 4 years after his first Swiss-A stint.

Like you said, though: If you're using Glen Metropolit as an example of the high-end skill in your league, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:34 AM
shogun99

If Filatov was willing to play in the AHL I'd make the trade.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
With the amount of injuries piling up I don't think he would have to. And it would give Edmonton more leverage to make a trade with other pieces if he played well.

Aceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:46 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post

Answer:

Your whole argument is flawed though. Brunner played his whole career in the swiss league. Omark has played in the SEL, AHL, KHL, and NHL with decent success in all of them, before going to the Swiss league

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:51 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Your whole argument is flawed though. Brunner played his whole career in the swiss league. Omark has played in the SEL, AHL, KHL, and NHL with decent success in all of them, before going to the Swiss league
My argument is "Don't trust Swiss League numbers", and my evidence is 25 years of Swiss League numbers.

Please explain how I am wrong.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Linus should be torching that league up, not beating Glen Metropolit by 3pts.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:17 AM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
I guess being first isn't enough for some people... Omark is averaging 2 points per game, that is after the guys who people say carried him left...

Old
02-18-2013, 04:28 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
But...what about Tavares, Thornton, Eriksson and others? Shouldnt they have had more points than Metropolit and Omark when they all played there? Im just using your logic here

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:39 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
omark will never a top 6 player on any team in the nhl

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:42 AM
ViCiieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owned View Post
So from those links Silfverberg outperformed Omark in the AHL, Elitserien, International-Jr, SuperElit, and WJC-20.
But overall they have fairly similar stats.
I wonder how do you get it that Silfverberg outperformed Omark in the AHL?
Omark had 47 points in 46 games.
Silfverberg had 29 points in 34 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall04 View Post
Why argue with someone who probably is 10 years old.
I'd rather have Silfverburg over Omar 10/10 times and I'm an Oiler fan. Don't get me wrong Omark is pretty good, but Silfverburg is simply better. I'd do the filatov trade, I'd be happy to see Omark get another shot in the NHL.
And you haven't even seen the two players I guess.
Also you are calling Silfverberg for Silfverburg, says it all really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensation View Post
One's in the NHL, the other isn't. Give it a rest.
I bet you said that about Datsyuk and Brunner too..

I also like to point out that Omark is a playmaker while Silfverberg is a sniper.
And I've seen Ottawa quite alot this year and the three players that even can be called playmakers is Spezza, Karlsson and Alfredsson. And two of them is out.
Apart from those three its a classic shoot first team that can't even make two passes in the offensive zone.

I bet having Omark on the same line as Silfverberg would boost his game enormously.
For seriously, is Greening a playmaker? No

ViCiieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:20 AM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
omark will never a top 6 player on any team in the nhl
Edmonton being pressured to perform had nothing to do with that? Let's be real here, Edmonton hasn't been playing good hockey for a long time. And management are to scared to not use their #1 drafts instead of a guy like omark, who doesn't play the normal type of hockey...

Old
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
A91

Your the only guy on the whole boards suggesting Omark is better then Silfverberg, maybe you haven't seen the 2 play ? What makes you think I haven't seen the 2 play ? I'd really like to know .
Maybe somebodys just a little angry that I called them 10.

And jeez I spelt his last name wrong ... By one letter. I obviously have never seen him play
(On my bb, dont know how to quote)

A91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
ViCiieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall04 View Post

Your the only guy on the whole boards suggesting Omark is better then Silfverberg, maybe you haven't seen the 2 play ? What makes you think I haven't seen the 2 play ? I'd really like to know .
Maybe somebodys just a little angry that I called them 10.

And jeez I spelt his last name wrong ... By one letter. I obviously have never seen him play
(On my bb, dont know how to quote)
They have two different playstyles. They have equal stats.
I just think Omark can be an impact player just the way you think Silfverberg can be an impact player.

Some quotes from Ottawa GDT;
"I am wholly underwhelmed by Silfverburg's play. I get that same feeling I got when watching Rundblad thinking "he will not translate well to the NHL."
"Silf is terrible."

ViCiieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Gryba for Omark.
NO!! We wont give any assets for Omark.... Most likely will never see the NHL again, unless a team have a top six shallow enough to fit him in there

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesome View Post
I think this trade needs to be sweetened some. Oilers also send one free tank of gas a month for year. Sens said over one federal government favor.
Well, the Oilers can afford that, because as we all know, the Oilers have lots of tank....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
If Filatov was willing to play in the AHL, the Sens wouldn't entertain trading him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCiieux View Post
Some quotes from Ottawa GDT;
"I am wholly underwhelmed by Silfverburg's play. I get that same feeling I got when watching Rundblad thinking "he will not translate well to the NHL."
"Silf is terrible."
Right, because fans never overreact or have knee-jerk reactions in GDT threads...

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Kaen

How did this become a pissing contest over who is better between Omark and Silfverburg? The proposal was Omark for Filatov, two guys that seem unlikely to be in the plans of their current teams going forward and whether or not a swap might work out for both teams.

Kaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Jimbo7200

I would still love to have Filatov in Detroit. If Babcock would give him a solid run with Pavel, you'd see the best that kid has to offer.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:13 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I would still love to have Filatov in Detroit. If Babcock would give him a solid run with Pavel, you'd see the best that kid has to offer.
As long as you don't make him go after rebounds. Filly don't do rebounds.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS 39 Gripen View Post
But...what about Tavares, Thornton, Eriksson and others? Shouldnt they have had more points than Metropolit and Omark when they all played there? Im just using your logic here
Guys using that league to stay sharp and in shape aren't going to go full tilt there, Omark is because he's got no job elsewhere. They have nothing to prove to anyone besides staying in shape and not just spending time in the gym, as you well know (if you ever played), the more time you spend away from the ice and train, the more out of game shape you get. They were staying in game shape there. Omark is trying to show he's not someone to be looked over, if that's his intention and it very well should be, he should be just burning that league down with his skills. Instead, Glen Metropolit is on a similar ppg pace as he is. GLEN FREAKING METROPOLIT. Glen is 13yrs his senior.

Why would they go hard there and risk getting injured when they're all hoping the season was going to resume (and it did).

I'm just using logic, period.

The problem a lot of people have here is that they over value their own players to an insane degree. We like our teams and we like the prospects and hope the best for them, we also read stupid talent analysis and projections and hope they reach that with the team these guys are on, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. You have to live with that. Omark could succeed at the NHL level, it just won't be with the Oilers it seems.