HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 13: Kings vs. Blackhawks - 2/17/13 - Another Regulation Loss...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 12:06 AM
  #126
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 32,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
It's bad when Sniper Rob Scuderi (1), has just as many or more goals than:

Simon Gagne (0)
Drew Doughty(0)
Colin Fraser(0)
Dustin Penner(0)
Trevor Lewis(0)
Dwight King(0)
Justin Williams(1) - Shooting % is a whopping 2.3%
Jake Muzzin(1)
Jordan Nolan(1)

Simply put, the Kings are not going to win many hockey games with this many guys unable to score. It's about time to stop using the excuse the season is just starting and not in hockey shape yada yada. 12 games....let that sink in..12 games.

Today was another example, zero offense generated outside all the PP time in the 3rd. Only reason kings were able to get going somewhat is chicago backed off the forecheck as they were protecting a 3-0 lead.
The name on that list that disappoints me the most is Williams. He is constantly making bad decisions with the puck, something you wouldn't expect from a veteran winger whose been around the game for a long time.

Dwight King has also been a big disappointment and is looking like the second incarnation of Chris Kontos. It's a classic example of the old saying -- "every dog has his day." Hell, John Druce looked like a superstar sniper during the 1990 playoffs with 14 goals in 15 games, numbers he was never able to replicate again. Unfortunately he's looking like a flash in the pan.

I think many of us were expecting more from Trevor Lewis this season. While nobody expects him to be an offensive juggernaut, what we saw from Lewis during the playoffs was an assertive winger who would be the first to the puck, with strong defensive plays who could force turnovers with his speed. Now we're seeing a reincarnation of Craig Johnson: aimless speed.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:10 AM
  #127
Reclamation Project
What will we do?
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,573
vCash: 500
Richards: 13GP - 4G - 5A. He's getting better every game. Love it.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 AM
  #128
Reaper45
Registered User
 
Reaper45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 30,857
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Your a pessimist. Why even be a fan? This is not the kings of the 80's we don't have to tear everything down, just get healthy and maybe a little tweak.
I fail to see the connection that because I don't see the Kings as a contender this year I shouldn't be a fan. We're not scoring. In a shortened season if you're not scoring you're not going to make the playoffs. So again, how does me calling for a re-load, which is moving expiring contracts (and that doesn't mean all of them) and dead weight for picks and long term solutions mean I shouldn't be a fan?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:34 AM
  #129
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
The name on that list that disappoints me the most is Williams. He is constantly making bad decisions with the puck, something you wouldn't expect from a veteran winger whose been around the game for a long time.

Dwight King has also been a big disappointment and is looking like the second incarnation of Chris Kontos. It's a classic example of the old saying -- "every dog has his day." Hell, John Druce looked like a superstar sniper during the 1990 playoffs with 14 goals in 15 games, numbers he was never able to replicate again. Unfortunately he's looking like a flash in the pan.

I think many of us were expecting more from Trevor Lewis this season. While nobody expects him to be an offensive juggernaut, what we saw from Lewis during the playoffs was an assertive winger who would be the first to the puck, with strong defensive plays who could force turnovers with his speed. Now we're seeing a reincarnation of Craig Johnson: aimless speed.
None of the guys you just mentioned are paid 7 Million Dollars to score.

One name on that list is. With Plenty of time on the PP.

Everyone loves to pick on Stoll, Williams, ETC.

But are these guys responsible for carrying the Kings ? .....Not even close.

Williams should be the least of people's concerns..

Kopitar and Drew right now, are down right frightening.
I don't even recognize the guy in Kopitar's jersey.

Need to put up a picture of Kopitar on a milk carton, did he even play the game in Chicago ?

Like there is some scrub skating around in his jersey; call the cops Kopitar has been kidnapped.

Including last year, it's now been 31 games since Gagne last scored a goal.....

31 GAMES. How does that even happen.


Last edited by damacles1156: 02-18-2013 at 12:48 AM.
damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:59 AM
  #130
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 45,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
None of the guys you just mentioned are paid 7 Million Dollars to score.

One name on that list is. With Plenty of time on the PP.

Everyone loves to pick on Stoll, Williams, ETC.

But are these guys responsible for carrying the Kings ? .....Not even close.

Williams should be the least of people's concerns..

Kopitar and Drew right now, are down right frightening.
I don't even recognize the guy in Kopitar's jersey.

Need to put up a picture of Kopitar on a milk carton, did he even play the game in Chicago ?

Like there is some scrub skating around in his jersey; call the cops Kopitar has been kidnapped.

Including last year, it's now been 31 games since Gagne last scored a goal.....

31 GAMES. How does that even happen.
Well...There's a website dedicated to such a player.

http://didgomezscore.com/

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:03 AM
  #131
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I fail to see the connection that because I don't see the Kings as a contender this year I shouldn't be a fan. We're not scoring. In a shortened season if you're not scoring you're not going to make the playoffs. So again, how does me calling for a re-load, which is moving expiring contracts (and that doesn't mean all of them) and dead weight for picks and long term solutions mean I shouldn't be a fan?
did you see the kings as a contender last year?

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:05 AM
  #132
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 500
I think reload is a key word. I am not ready to throw this season away. But there should be some flexibility for DL this summer.

Penner, Richardson and Gagne are for sure gone, that is 8 million off the books. Stoll should be moved for anyone willing to give a 4th or 5th. No way you can justify paying a #4 center who only does one thing relatively well that much money. That is another 3+ mill freed up. That is about 10 million in space, two of those spots can filled by younger players and that gives the Kings plenty of room to upgrade some of these bottom line spots and possibly get another scorer. The Kings will be strong down the middle, which is a good start.

Brown - Kopitar - ???
??? - Carter - Williams
Clifford - Richards - ???
Nolan - ???? - ????

Lots of holes, assume one of the top 6 is filled by Toffoli and the other by UFA. Lewis and King will have to compete to keep their jobs. The Kings should be in the market for another solid 3rd line player to play with Clifford and Richards which has the makings of being an excellent 3rd line.

Kings have a solid foundation, just way to many guys playing terribly and possibly playing their way out of LA (Stoll, Lewis, King, Penner, Gagne)

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:51 AM
  #133
Reclamation Project
What will we do?
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 20,573
vCash: 500
Perry would look good next to Kopitar. The elite winger we need.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:16 AM
  #134
Live in the Now
YNWA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,774
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Perry would look good next to Kopitar. The elite winger we need.
He is, but unless you want Brown to walk after next season he's not the cap hit we need. IMO it's going to be very difficult to improve the team this offseason without getting rid of Stoll. Then take into account we're also going to be giving raises to Clifford, Voynov, and Martinez plus Scuds is leaving. I think we might need to trade Alec, keep Scuderi. Stoll leaving is something that absolutely has to happen but I just can't see Dean doing it.

Trading Stoll wouldn't be that hard because there are lots of teams that could use somebody like him. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fetch a 2nd or even a good bottom sixer that could fit in.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:31 AM
  #135
Monarchist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Considering who might realistically be available ... what about trading for Milan Michalek, and maybe Alfredson too? Ottawa is not making the playoffs without Spezza and Karlsson, so they are sellers.

Not sure what kind of futures they'd want in return. Young players like Dwight King, prospects, and draft picks?

Monarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:45 AM
  #136
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,465
vCash: 500
Dean's loyalty and love of Stoll is a bit strange to say the least. He has failed in every role he has ever been given in LA, then they go out and ink him to a borderline insane contract extension. But as much as Dean loves him, there is no way he can justify spending as much as he is on Stoll, the ROI is among the worst in the NHL when it comes to Stoll. And if the lineup stays the same the Kings are looking at over 20 million a year in cap space just on centers.

The money freed up from the three underachieving players paid like second liners (Gagne, Penner, Stoll) could go a long way in filling the holes on the roster.

Probably also time to turn the page on Brad Richardson. Another 1.2 mill in cap space for a spot the Kings could be paying someone close to the league minimum to occupy.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:13 AM
  #137
CowMix
Go Kings Go!
 
CowMix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tustin, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Dean's loyalty and love of Stoll is a bit strange to say the least. He has failed in every role he has ever been given in LA, then they go out and ink him to a borderline insane contract extension. But as much as Dean loves him, there is no way he can justify spending as much as he is on Stoll, the ROI is among the worst in the NHL when it comes to Stoll. And if the lineup stays the same the Kings are looking at over 20 million a year in cap space just on centers.

The money freed up from the three underachieving players paid like second liners (Gagne, Penner, Stoll) could go a long way in filling the holes on the roster.

Probably also time to turn the page on Brad Richardson. Another 1.2 mill in cap space for a spot the Kings could be paying someone close to the league minimum to occupy.
Why hasn't Richardson been playing anyway? Has he been that bad in practice to not give him a chance?

CowMix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:34 AM
  #138
I Am Ziggy Palffy
Registered User
 
I Am Ziggy Palffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
It's bad when Sniper Rob Scuderi (1), has just as many or more goals than:

Simon Gagne (0)
Drew Doughty(0)
Colin Fraser(0)
Dustin Penner(0)
Trevor Lewis(0)
Dwight King(0)
Justin Williams(1) - Shooting % is a whopping 2.3%
Jake Muzzin(1)
Jordan Nolan(1)
.
I was losing my mind watching Kopitar play today. Every season the guy has to be reminded that he needs to shoot the puck to be effective. He had 0 shots on goal today and has had 7 shots in the last 8 games.

Not sure if it's the knee, but Kopitar looks like shell of his former self out there

I Am Ziggy Palffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:01 AM
  #139
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
I was losing my mind watching Kopitar play today. Every season the guy has to be reminded that he needs to shoot the puck to be effective. He had 0 shots on goal today and has had 7 shots in the last 8 games.

Not sure if it's the knee, but Kopitar looks like shell of his former self out there
It's not his knee maybe the first game or so, but this long. He just doesn't give a **** and you can tell by the way he plays. It's so frustrating to have such an inconsistent player

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:02 AM
  #140
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy View Post
I was losing my mind watching Kopitar play today. Every season the guy has to be reminded that he needs to shoot the puck to be effective. He had 0 shots on goal today and has had 7 shots in the last 8 games.

Not sure if it's the knee, but Kopitar looks like shell of his former self out there
To be honest he didn't look good during his stint in Sweden and that was before he got injured and against weaker opposition. WTF is wrong with him wright now.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:08 AM
  #141
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
All in all, we have too much dead weight on the bottom 6/scratched players as well. We need to sell the abundance in a package get a nice top 6, insert Toffoli, and have the remainders play, maybe trade for a good 3rd liner. Whatever happens happens. Justgotta get rid of the dead weight and try some of our top 6 kids make some trades and we'd be good to go. Unless Kopitar is Still playing like **** then we still won't make it lol .

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:09 AM
  #142
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
To be honest he didn't look good during his stint in Sweden and that was before he got injured and against weaker opposition. WTF is wrong with him wright now.
As Lucic said, you lose passion after you win, and Kopitar is showing that on ice.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:12 AM
  #143
markisonfire
Registered User
 
markisonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 3,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
As Lucic said, you lose passion after you win, and Kopitar is showing that on ice.
Kopitar is notorious for disappearing for months at a time. He always has a strong October, disappears from November to January, and emerges in mid-late February as a top-10 center. We've been saying this for three years now: When will Kopitar break out?! I'm starting to think that he never will. He is what he is and we have no reason to believe otherwise. I think he'll turn his game on near March and we'll be looking back and saying, "Why the **** didn't he show us this all season?"

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:08 AM
  #144
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Kopitar is notorious for disappearing for months at a time. He always has a strong October, disappears from November to January, and emerges in mid-late February as a top-10 center. We've been saying this for three years now: When will Kopitar break out?! I'm starting to think that he never will. He is what he is and we have no reason to believe otherwise. I think he'll turn his game on near March and we'll be looking back and saying, "Why the **** didn't he show us this all season?"
Another Brown in the making, Every year we think "this is the year Brown stays consistent with his game"..

Every year it never happens.

Brown will have one month (probably April) that he hits everything in sight, and every puck he puts on net goes in.

Looks like Kopitar is the same.

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:11 AM
  #145
damacles1156
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13,384
vCash: 500
The next two games are winnable. So the Kings do have that.

Win the next two, forget about this stinker.

The Kings better get at least 3 points out of this back to back.

Or they are in trouble.

If they only manage 2,1 or Zero....They would have to go on an unreal tear in March (just to climb back into the race).

damacles1156 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:26 AM
  #146
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter
 
alpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden and Slovenia
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Another Brown in the making, Every year we think "this is the year Brown stays consistent with his game"..

Every year it never happens.

Brown will have one month (probably April) that he hits everything in sight, and every puck he puts on net goes in.

Looks like Kopitar is the same.
As long as it happens in playoffs..fine. But getting there. Hmm?

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:42 AM
  #147
Inner Turbulence
Registered User
 
Inner Turbulence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Country: Denmark
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
As Lucic said, you lose passion after you win, and Kopitar is showing that on ice.
That seems harsh. Very harsh. I am not saying that Kopi is playing well right now, but he seems to be at least trying to throw his body around more ... so I think he's trying to make an effort.

But the offence isn't coming together. Kopi isn't the kind of superstar that does it all on his own. And since the whole offense basically is dysfunctional (with slight signs of improvement) he is struggling there. I am not absolving him from blame, he isn't playing well, but it's a team thing.

Personally, I am lot less impressed by the Captain Dustin Brown. He's not playing physical. Not like he used to. He's not doing much. IMO.

Inner Turbulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:04 AM
  #148
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I think reload is a key word. I am not ready to throw this season away. But there should be some flexibility for DL this summer.

Penner, Richardson and Gagne are for sure gone, that is 8 million off the books. Stoll should be moved for anyone willing to give a 4th or 5th. No way you can justify paying a #4 center who only does one thing relatively well that much money. That is another 3+ mill freed up. That is about 10 million in space, two of those spots can filled by younger players and that gives the Kings plenty of room to upgrade some of these bottom line spots and possibly get another scorer. The Kings will be strong down the middle, which is a good start.

Brown - Kopitar - ???
??? - Carter - Williams
Clifford - Richards - ???
Nolan - ???? - ????

Lots of holes, assume one of the top 6 is filled by Toffoli and the other by UFA. Lewis and King will have to compete to keep their jobs. The Kings should be in the market for another solid 3rd line player to play with Clifford and Richards which has the makings of being an excellent 3rd line.

Kings have a solid foundation, just way to many guys playing terribly and possibly playing their way out of LA (Stoll, Lewis, King, Penner, Gagne)
Richards will be back on the second line. Putting him on the third line for a couple of games doesn't make it permanent and it makes no sense since they can't give him wingers that are up to his level.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:00 AM
  #149
SoulAssassin
Registered User
 
SoulAssassin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Guelph, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Shake-up is a scary word. I would like to add a guy like Grabner from NYI. Plays both sides of center with speed and good hands. Help Kopitar push the defense back

Would also like Clutterbuck on the bottom 6 to bring the body and still add some offense.

Also need a veteran on D. I would check the availability of Hamrlik in Washington.

Clutterbuck and Hamrlik are not high ticket guys, yes they would cost a bit,maybe we sacrific a guy like King, Richardson, Fraser, Lewis, Penner, etc plus a low pick.

I would love to see Grabner develop on Kopitars wing. Signed this year plus 3 more at 3 mil a year. Would take over Gagne's spot and salary commitment. Scored 54 goals the last 2 years and is only 24
Love this thought process. Clutterbuck definitely a guy I would love to see in LA. I think he'd be a perfect fit on RW with Stoll or Richards, whoever our 3rd line center is. Has 15 goal, 30pt capabilities.

Grabner would add speed and a scoring touch our team sorely lacks. Im thinking it would take a Bernier type to pry him away from NY though and we might need to add.

SoulAssassin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:30 AM
  #150
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Richards will be back on the second line. Putting him on the third line for a couple of games doesn't make it permanent and it makes no sense since they can't give him wingers that are up to his level.
You're wasting your ink here. That is Herby's thoughts on what he'd do if he was the coach. He feels the need to type that Richards should be on the 3rd line at least once a day.
Sutter stated why he temporarily moved Richards down for a few games and already moved him back w/Carter for most of the game yesterday and it paid off. That was the best line. The Kings need wins, they need goals and Richards and Carter together will do that, esp since the 1st line has been struggling most of the year.
I wonder if Sutter will kmove Williams back there and slot Gagne with MR and JC?

I'm curious to see later today what the lines are at practice.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.