HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jarmo might trade Jack Johnson.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
CBJWennberg10
Me when I watch CBJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
People were saying Johnson sucked defensively before he came to Columbus. In fact, that's the main reason LA traded him.
Oddly enough, once he got traded here he's been one of the better defensive players on the team, and thats with a pretty good D.

CBJWennberg10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:08 PM
a mangy Meowth
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Avs have very little interest in JJ

Especially in a situation where we'd be ADDING to ROR to get him.

I mean cmon now

a mangy Meowth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:01 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSGJ View Post
Sherman is the kind of GM who might just be incompetent enough to do it.
Think of all the marketing dollars they could get with a top pairing of Johnson & Johnson!

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:10 PM
PricerStopDaPuck
#PrayForBozon

JJ for eller plus?

PricerStopDaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by galchenyuktocollberg View Post
JJ for eller plus?
...no.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

I won't pretend to know the Jacket's needs, will a fan explain a roster weakness to be fixed?

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:38 PM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
I won't pretend to know the Jacket's needs, will a fan explain a roster weakness to be fixed?
not trading JJ is one of them

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Viqsi

Quote:
Columbus has basically no top-line forwards. The forward corps is mostly second- and third- line two-way never-say-die types. Gives us one heck of a PK, but we could use a little more 5-on-5.

Well, okay, there's one other need, but people keep seeing "we need [very specifically identified asset]" and knee-jerk responding "We can take care of that for you! We'll send you [prospect who might become such but does not actually fit the need as defined] and take Johansen or a 1st." It's kind of maddening.
Yes, I'm referring to goaltending. People keep assuming "established, proven NHL starter" somehow means "hot backup" or "big name prospect" or "guy still being developed with upside."

None of these, however, will be addressed by trading JMFJ.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin2799 View Post
So lets add MacArthur.

Percy is a fantastic prospect, he would probably be #2 in your defensive prospects.

We can work with the trade to help you, but I dont think adding the first will happen.
Look, I like Percy, I really do. I may be higher on him than any other CBJ fan.

Basically, you're not fooling me.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Byrral

Quote:
This is a fair question. The CBJ are in a rebuild. By definition that would mean to trade non performing and bad contracts for assets or cap relief. Targeting the CBJ needs would look to be at forward but who knows what way the new regime will move going forward. Time will tell. But trading assets like JJ or any of their top picks doesn't make sense unless they are adding significantly to their future core. Building this puzzle isn't going to happen overnight or with one trade.

Byrral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:12 PM
JoemAvs

Trading JJ only makes sense when Jarmo is set on drafting Jones.
And with the new lottery and the uncertainty of a short season it is impossible to plan for the #1 pick. So I could see him get traded at the draft for a top forward. A deal around ROR for JJ at the draft would make some sense depending on where both teams end up.

As an Avs fan I would not like that. Keep your dirty hands of our precious Seth! Guy was in the first row when Bourque hoisted the Cup! So just give up and win more games than we do. Please!?

Or take MacKinnon...

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:24 PM

I have no idea why this thread is still going. Has a single CBJ fan liked this idea? Johnson has been very solid and a big minute eater since going to the Jackets. No reason whatsoever to move him.

I see no real reason to speculate on this.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3074326 View Post
I have no idea why this thread is still going. Has a single CBJ fan liked this idea? Johnson has been very solid and a big minute eater since going to the Jackets. No reason whatsoever to move him.

I see no real reason to speculate on this.
Not only that, but has any CBJ fan criticized Johnson's defense since he arrived? I think it's safe to say that we run the gamut from numbers-rejecters to part-time Sabremetricians (like me), and our experiences in hockey range from simply watching for a couple years to being active in the game in some context for a long time...yet not one of us is critical of Johnson in the defensive zone. Yeah, he has his moments, but it's not like he's Phil Housley out there.

Hell, we've seen our share of defensemen who were just brutal in their own zone...Bryan Berard, Andy Delmore, Scott Lachance, Grant Clitsome, Anton Stralman, Christian Backman all come to mind. It's not like we have no idea what below-average defense looks like.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:41 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Jack Johnson is a very good defenseman for us and is an important part of the team.

I highly doubt he gets traded.
Best thing Jarmo can do is to try and get a 1st plus another pick for Johnson if he can...Then you will see him work his magic to finally turn that franchise around...If he can accumulate picks like the Blues did when the rebuild you will be a contender in 5 year.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Best thing Jarmo can do is to try and get a 1st plus another pick for Johnson if he can...Then you will see him work his magic to finally turn that franchise around...If he can accumulate picks like the Blues did when the rebuild you will be a contender in 5 year.
"We must rebuild. I insist that we start with a 26-year-old defenseman who plays 28 minutes a night and all special teams, who's signed until 2018 at a relative bargain for a player of his caliber."

Old
02-17-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

There is no reason to trade the team's best d-man. He's still young.. The Jackets have one organizational strength - defense. Trading Johnson gives them no strengths. It would be the dumbest thing Jarmo could do, in my opinion. Rebuild doesn't = trade the team's best players.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Crisp Breakout

This thread really has no business being open...

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Ceff Jarter
Registered Duster

From looking at his advanced stats they don't look that bad this year. Historically he is not stellar but Jarmo surely realizes the CBJ would sell zero tickets if they traded Johnson.

Ceff Jarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
So we can have 6 rookies on the NHL roster next year? Or what?

Because somebody has to play next year and it'd better not be worse than what we have now. You can't ship off guys like Johnson, Umberger, Brassard, etc. and expect our 1st round picks to just jump in. That's a recipe for disaster.

Better idea, keep those guys around and add young players who will EVENTUALLY take over. Don't just throw guys like Mackinnon or Jones to the wolves. Force them to start in the bottom-6 or bottom pairing and earn their minutes playing behind the Umbergers and Brassards.

Last edited by Crede777: 02-18-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:43 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Remember when he traded Anderson for Elliot lolz or when he traded Shattenkirk and Steward for EJ hahahaha
andersson for elliot got us landeskog........ how is that bad ?

and you forgot a 1 rounder in the EJ trade

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:28 AM
DesertDawg

If I was a BJ fan, I would be dreaming of a Seth Jones-Jack Johnson pairing more than what they can get for JJ...

DesertDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:43 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
JJ + for ROR +
I was gonna say this.

Ive never liked JJ, thought he's always been overrated. ROR would be a great pick up for Columbus, and IMO, losing JJ barely affects their blueline longterm.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:48 AM
Viqsi

Can we seriously stop with the ROR-for-JMFJ proposals, please? Yes, we get it; ROR's the current everybody-wants-him asset, but that's a ripoff deal for the CBJ.

We've said this. Multiple times. It is not an original idea.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:55 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Can we seriously stop with the ROR-for-JMFJ proposals, please? Yes, we get it; ROR's the current everybody-wants-him asset, but that's a ripoff deal for the CBJ.

We've said this. Multiple times. It is not an original idea.
JJ was the centrepiece in the deal for J. Carter. Just cause you dont like the deal, doesnt mean its outside of the realm of possibility.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:02 AM
Viqsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
JJ was the centrepiece in the deal for J. Carter. Just cause you dont like the deal, doesnt mean its outside of the realm of possibility.
Setting aside that that was a headcase-for-headcase deal, Jeff Carter pouting and sulking still produced more than ROR.

"But that's not ROR's skillset nor what makes him valuable!" I hear you say. To which I respond, "but scoring centers are what we really need, not more two-way guys." Defensive forwards are very much not something the Blue Jackets lack. Take a look at our PK sometime; it's very very nice.

And it's not just me personally. It's been every single Jackets fan that's commented in this thread.