HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is Robert Reichel considered a disappointment?

Old
02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Sticks and Pucks

vCash: 500
Is Robert Reichel considered a disappointment?

He made the NHL at 19 and was getting compared to Jagr before he even came to North America. He even had some pretty good seasons with Calgary before the '94 lockout but seemed to dry up after that. Looking over his entire career, would Reichel be considered a disappointment considering the expectations he had coming into the NHL?

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 03:02 PM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
He made the NHL at 19 and was getting compared to Jagr before he even came to North America. He even had some pretty good seasons with Calgary before the '94 lockout but seemed to dry up after that. Looking over his entire career, would Reichel be considered a disappointment considering the expectations he had coming into the NHL?
Yes. I truly believe he was a dissapointment. He was a classic underacheiver.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Big Phil

Wasn't the biggest breath of fresh air when he came to Toronto either, although his reputation wasn't of a potential star anymore. Yeah, he could have been better.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Grinder89

In Roenicks book he mentioned that one year Reichel requested to have his exit physical before a game seven when they played together in Phoenix. Says a lot about his drive and passion for the game.

Normally the players will have these done once all games are fully completed.

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
RECsGuy*

If this is all he's remembered for, then his career was a success...

RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
I don't think so. Like a lot of players in the early 90s coming over from Europe (Renberg is another name I think of), he had an insane first few seasons and then fell off the side of the Earth when the league became much more tight checking and goalies ballooned to ridiculous levels.

Reichel had some decent skills, but he was never an overly talented player. I'd put him in the level of, say, Nylander or, in modern days, Stajan or Booth. Some raw talent, but nothing eye-poppingly good.

I think the fact that he spent a couple of his prime seasons because of contract disputes playing in Europe also makes his numbers look worse than his apparent talent should have allowed.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
I don't think so. Like a lot of players in the early 90s coming over from Europe (Renberg is another name I think of), he had an insane first few seasons and then fell off the side of the Earth when the league became much more tight checking and goalies ballooned to ridiculous levels.

Reichel had some decent skills, but he was never an overly talented player. I'd put him in the level of, say, Nylander or, in modern days, Stajan or Booth. Some raw talent, but nothing eye-poppingly good.

I think the fact that he spent a couple of his prime seasons because of contract disputes playing in Europe also makes his numbers look worse than his apparent talent should have allowed.
the thing about reichel is that he was an excellent talent, but was a guy who didn't necessarily have the take charge mentality to make things happen by himself. he was at his best when he played with an elite winger. at the WJC, he was a monster with jagr (and holik), and outscored both guys. his best offensive years were in calgary with fleury. then later he had some decent years with palffy in long island.

in toronto, mogilny played with sundin so reichel was stuck with renberg and, i think, roberts?

i would say he was definitely a bigger talent than nylander, and easily guys like stajan or booth. i'd compare him more to someone like petr nedved. with a different mental makeup, both those guys could have been annual (mid-season) all-stars.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
the thing about reichel is that he was an excellent talent, but was a guy who didn't necessarily have the take charge mentality to make things happen by himself. he was at his best when he played with an elite winger. at the WJC, he was a monster with jagr (and holik), and outscored both guys. his best offensive years were in calgary with fleury. then later he had some decent years with palffy in long island.
I don't really agree that he was an excellent talent. He had okay vision, but he wasn't a great skater, his shot was poor and he didn't have the greatest hands, either. I really don't think he was ever a good talent to begin with.

AFAIC, Reichel was purely a product of his wingers, not the reason for the success of the lines he was on. When he played with nobodies after leaving Calgary, his numbers suffered.

Quote:
in toronto, mogilny played with sundin so reichel was stuck with renberg and, i think, roberts?
When Sundin was playing with Mogilny, it was generally Reichel and Renberg with Corson or Antropov, while Roberts was playing with Corson/Green and Tucker.

Most of those years, though, it was Hoglund-Sundin-Renberg, Corson-Reichel-Mogilny, Roberts-Green-Tucker and Valk-McCauley-Domi. When Hoglund left, Roberts played with Mats, Corson played with Green and Tucker and Antropov played with Reichel and Mogilny.

Quote:
i would say he was definitely a bigger talent than nylander, and easily guys like stajan or booth. i'd compare him more to someone like petr nedved. with a different mental makeup, both those guys could have been annual (mid-season) all-stars.
I disagree. Nylander wasn't a strong skater but had similar vision to Reichel. Nylander probably had a better shot, though, and might have been a little better at stickhandling.

I think Stajan and Booth have a similar talent level, though they're probably not in the same level versus their peers.

Nedved meanwhile, had size and a nasty shot to go along with everything else. Both might have been equally uninterested in playing when games got tough, but I think Nedved was more of a pure talent than Reichel.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:16 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

His penalty shot in the playoffs against Cechmanek was dissapointing.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:38 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Yes, if only because National Team Reichel was a star performer.

02-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Stephen

I don't remember Robert Reichel ever being that 'skilled' of a hockey player. His skating was kind of choppy from what I remember, it looked like he tried to run on the ice, I think he had a really accurate but not that powerful shot, but I might be remembering wrong, his puckhandling was okay, and he was really small, so I think the Jagr comparisons might have been superficial 'countrymen' comments, since they had nothing in common.

I don't think of him as a classic hockey sense kind of guy, but he was smart which allowed him to be kind of shifty and effective on the dump and cycle game in Toronto with Mikael Renberg, and he did have a lot of chemistry with Zigmund Palffy on the Island, which suggests he could keep up with a much more talented player.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:08 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Wasn't the biggest breath of fresh air when he came to Toronto either, although his reputation wasn't of a potential star anymore. Yeah, he could have been better.
Are you thinking of Reichel or Renberg?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:21 AM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
When he figures this one out, he should go tell Pat Quinn.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:17 PM
ChiTownPhilly

Send a message via AIM to ChiTownPhilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Say what?

Renberg stopped being the player he previously was after he had his lower abdomen sliced open as part of a surgical procedure...

Manifestly unfair to analogize him to Reichel.

ChiTownPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
hehe, yeah, both really.

I will say one thing, if I could play devil's advocate here I have to wonder just how different things could have been for Reichel had he scored on that yawning cage against McLean in Game 7 in 1994. We all know the big save McLean did, but not everyone knows that it was Reichel who got that lovely pass from Fleury and nearly won it. It sounds strange, but Reichel was coming off a nice 93 point season in 1994 and that goal would have put Calgary into the second round and they were a good enough team to go all the way to the final that year. If Reichel scores that goal you have to wonder what that does for his confidence. Is he part of a deep playoff run? He was part of a couple decent playoff runs with Toronto and did squat but in 1994 we are talking about a prime Reichel here.

Who knows, it probably doesn't change a lot, he had 31 points in 70 playoff games anyway but he never had a season as good as 1994. And what a way to get in the good books of Flames fans.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote