HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Panthers “Club Red” Section is a Joke (MOD: Great perks, empty seats)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 03:56 PM
jol

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
So each one of those sold seats brings in about 10k to the bottom line ( 2/3 of the 16.5 or 100℅ of the 9500) times 600 seats ( assuming most are sold) that's 6 million in her about. Not too bad.
Yes, but they replaced certain number of seats, not sure what the price was, $50-$100 per game? Plus wining and dining, but definetely they are making money on those. 70% of them are sold?

JOL

Old
02-18-2013, 07:36 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
and yet Quebec coming off their best season was sold and moved ... hmm
You do know why they moved, don't you?

HINT: heres the Nords attendance throughout the years in a 15200 seats arena:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=7584

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 02-18-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Here's an honest question. How come, whenever it's mentioned that Canadian teams were in trouble or moved in the 90's, it's all because of the Canadian economy back then. Yet, it's rarely mentioned that America has been in one of its worst recessions in history over the last 5 years?

Old
02-18-2013, 08:36 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

It have to do with the canadian dollar at the time. It was 86 US cents but is now at parity. This brought problems for canadian teams as they had to pay players in US dollars.

Also, Win and Qc had small arenas and couldnt complete process for bigger arenas at that time.

I think it roughly sums it up.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:43 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
It have to do with the canadian dollar at the time. It was 86 US cents but is now at parity. This brought problems for canadian teams as they had to pay players in US dollars.

Also, Win and Qc had small arenas and couldnt complete process for bigger arenas at that time.

And I don't debate any of that. Facts are facts (actually, wasn't the Canadian dollar as low as $0.65 at one point?), but when it comes to certain markets struggling now, all we get is "move them!" Most of America has been struggling since October 2008 and we're currently dangerously close to a double dip recession. Just seems odd to me.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:

At one point it went to 60 cents.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:57 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
And I don't debate any of that. Facts are facts (actually, wasn't the Canadian dollar as low as $0.65 at one point?), but when it comes to certain markets struggling now, all we get is "move them!" Most of America has been struggling since October 2008 and we're currently dangerously close to a double dip recession. Just seems odd to me.
Well its more then the economy there. There just isnt an hockey tradition there. Bad ''hockey'' market there.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:09 AM
berklon

Quote:
Here's an honest question. How come, whenever it's mentioned that Canadian teams were in trouble or moved in the 90's, it's all because of the Canadian economy back then. Yet, it's rarely mentioned that America has been in one of its worst recessions in history over the last 5 years?
The teams struggling in the US pre-dates this latest recession. And Canada has gone through the same recession in the last 5 years, yet hockey is generally unaffected.

Winnipeg and Quebec needed a new arena desperately and the Canadian dollar was horrible. That combined with the NHL wanting badly to move those teams to "grow the game" was the reason they moved.

The Jets 2.0 is the type of success that proves the Jets/Nordiques 1.0 were temporary problems. You'll see the exact same response when the Nordiques 2.0 arrive.
I'm sure we can't say the same thing if the Thrashers 2.0 comes about.

It's all about what sport the market prefers. Canadians love hockey - it's as simple as that. You really can't compare the two. During the recession the Falcons did well attandance-wise... so it's not just about the economy, it's about preference.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:11 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

After a short research, found out the rate was .73 US cents in 1995, so I was wrong with my .86 US cents.

Yeah it went down to .60 cents at a certain time.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:16 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
When you look at that post 2008 era, lots of US markets are doing pretty good, lemme add surprisingly good. (Ana, SJ, Nash, TB) while some are so so (CLB, FLA, Dal?), but not desperate.

Of course revenue sharing helps, thats the way pro sports are doing. TOR needs teams to play against and no owner wants to get back to 21 teams. League belongs to the owners, not the fans..

Like I posted couple weeks ago, the sunbelt move was risky, the league knew it, and knew some teams would not last. They're not that dumb.

The PHX case is in this category, the weaker link in the sunbelt. At this time, I don't have any secret info on the team status ( of course...) or on anything Qc related, but we'll see.

Gary Bettman was hired to increase the league revenues. He said "lemme expand to the south". Nobody can say he failed, to the contrary, like him or not, he was very successfull in that matter. PS I don't like him ;-)

Last edited by QcBlizzard: 02-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 09:36 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
When you look at that post 2008 era, lots of US markets are doing pretty good, lemme add surprisingly good. (Ana, SJ, Nash, TB) while some are so so (CLB, FLA, Dal?), but not desperate.

Of course revenue sharing helps, thats the way pro sports are doing. TOR needs teams to play against and no owner wants to get back to 21 teams. League belongs to the owners, not the fans..

Like I posted couple weeks ago, the sunbelt move was risky, the league knew it, and knew some teams would not last. They're not that dumb.

The PHX case is in this category, the weaker link in the sunbelt. At this time, I don't have any secret info on the team status ( of course...) or on anything Qc related, but we'll see.

Gary Bettman was hired to increase the league revenues. He said "lemme expand to the south". Nobody can say he failed, to the contrary, like him or not, he was very successfull in that matter. PS I don't like him ;-)
I guess my thing is the theory based on moving teams around will fix the league. I just think it's sad that some hockey fans want nothing more than to move teams from city to city. I really wish they'd just look at the state of certain franchises (currently very strong ones) in the 90's and even early 2000's. Whether it's economy related or not, things change. It's just silly to me to just want to move teams around constantly.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:47 AM
QcBlizzard
Regis-tered fan

Quote:
I guess my thing is the theory based on moving teams around will fix the league. I just think it's sad that some hockey fans want nothing more than to move teams from city to city. I really wish they'd just look at the state of certain franchises (currently very strong ones) in the 90's and even early 2000's. Whether it's economy related or not, things change. It's just silly to me to just want to move teams around constantly.
I truly believe Bettman when he say the league don't like to move teams. When an owner want to sell his team and doesnt find a local buyer, theres no other solution.

Its certainly the ultimate decision to make. We, little hockey fans, cannot decide the faith of a sport franchise else then attending games.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
Legionnaire11

Gary Bettman did not implement the southern expansion strategy, he also has never hand picked expansion cities. There is a bidding process and BoG voting/approval before expansion teams can be awarded.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I truly believe Bettman when he say the league don't like to move teams. When an owner want to sell his team and doesnt find a local buyer, theres no other solution.

Its certainly the ultimate decision to make. We, little hockey fans, cannot decide the faith of a sport franchise else then attending games.
That's true, but that's not changing the minds of many posters.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:46 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

This has evolved into a QC mega thread, way OT.

Closed.

Closed Thread