HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Giroux is quite possibly the worst player in the NHL

Old
02-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
He's competent defensively and a decent faceoff guy now; he was neither of those things three years ago.

Last season elevated our expectations for Giroux exponentially... and if he's not putting up points, everyone thinks he looks like he's regressed. He has started the season slowly on the offensive end, but there are positives in his all-around game; the points will come.
Agreed. Plus he has ten points in sixteen games. It's not like it's an unthinkable slump for a guy who we expected to be around a point per game (anyone expecting 94 points again was silly).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 04:43 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I thought habs fans were harsh on their players, then I came here and my eyes are now open.

So would you guys be willing to trade Giroux for Travis Moen and a 7th round pick in 2014?
Don't be greedy; they still need centres.

Desharnais + Eller for Giroux and Couturier.

Seriously though, what is up with Giroux? Bad chemistry? He lost his driving instincts? He used to be quite the hardnosed centre, he now plays it safe on the perimeter.

Btw, you had really bad breaks yesterday. Both in missed shots and literal break of sticks.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:40 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Agreed. Plus he has ten points in sixteen games. It's not like it's an unthinkable slump for a guy who we expected to be around a point per game (anyone expecting 94 points again was silly).
I don't think it is silly at all to expect 94 points again for someone called "the best player in the world" by his coach at age 24.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:38 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

He has 3 goals in 16 games. You can't discuss what's wrong with the Flyers without discussing what a dreadful performance Giroux is putting up.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:01 AM
MsWoof

I think a lot of things factor into his play. He's never been THE guy, he came up while Richards, Carter and Gagne were the main focus, then Pronger, after the big trades Jagr was brought in. Even when Jagr fell off in the second half at least he was still here. The problems started when Lavi pointedly called him the greatest player in the world, a couple of games later Giroux got himself suspended and the season ended. Next, he was on the cover of NHL 13, then given the captaincy. I thought he was strong enough for all that although I didn't want him to be named captain. Maybe he's just not ready. He's also had the benefit of strong linemates but that's not the case this year.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:06 AM
dats81

Homer should try to resign Giroux now. He'll never come that cheap any more.

dats81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I don't think it is silly at all to expect 94 points again for someone called "the best player in the world" by his coach at age 24.
well thats nonsense. Giroux was never in the conversation for best player in the world. i personally see G as an 80 pt player give or take that plays all zone and now is great at faceoffs. nothing wrong with that at all. if he had the right line-mates like a Cory Perry or Bobby Ryan I could see him breaking 90 again easily but without i'm not too sure.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:59 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

When your best player isn't playing like your best player, you will be in trouble

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
well thats nonsense. Giroux was never in the conversation for best player in the world. i personally see G as an 80 pt player give or take that plays all zone and now is great at faceoffs. nothing wrong with that at all. if he had the right line-mates like a Cory Perry or Bobby Ryan I could see him breaking 90 again easily but without i'm not too sure.
So everyone should have expected G's peak as last season??? I have never read something more idiotic on these boards.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
If whatever Laviolette said came true our team wouldn't be below .500 right now.

Quote:
So everyone should have expected G's peak as last season???
I would expect that, yea. Why should I expect him to keep getting better?

How is it insane to expect a small, high-finesse forward to have his peak scoring year at 63 points at the age of 24? That sounds pretty normal as those types of forward go. He will mos tlikely never be a better athlete than he is now.

Quote:
I have never read something more idiotic on these boards.
Yes you have. Don't be dramatic.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 02-17-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 12:10 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
When your best player isn't playing like your best player, you will be in trouble
Sounds right to me

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Ryker

Quote:
I would expect that, yea. Why should I expect him to keep getting better?
So would I. He overachieved last season, and as was mentioned he always had some other top caliber player playing with him on the line (Carter, Jagr). Now that that's not the case, I see him as a 70 to maybe 80 point scorer. Which is not bad at all.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 01:21 PM
mikedeej97

Being the Captain in hockey is probably one of the most, if not the most, overrated things in sports. OMG a star player is having a goal scoring slump? Not the first, wont be the last. He isnt even playing that bad. The assists are starting to come, not to mention his play in the defensive zone has been fine. Throw in the major improvement on faceoffs, everything will be fine. Those who question his leadership, I pray that you never have the opportunity to educate/coach any young hockey players because you clearly have no clue what youre watching.

mikedeej97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'll start worrying about Giroux when he shows he clearly doesn't give a crap.....like Mike Richards started exhibiting. Having said this..he needs to step it up and not psych himself out like he's doing. Hopefully, Hartnell coming back helps him out but G should be creating his own luck..that's what elite players are supposed to do.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedeej97 View Post
being the captain in hockey is probably one of the most, if not the most, overrated things in sports. Omg a star player is having a goal scoring slump? Not the first, wont be the last. He isnt even playing that bad. The assists are starting to come, not to mention his play in the defensive zone has been fine. Throw in the major improvement on faceoffs, everything will be fine. Those who question his leadership, i pray that you never have the opportunity to educate/coach any young hockey players because you clearly have no clue what youre watching.
qf mf t.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I'll start worrying about Giroux when he shows he clearly doesn't give a crap.....like Mike Richards started exhibiting. Having said this..he needs to step it up and not psych himself out like he's doing. Hopefully, Hartnell coming back helps him out but G should be creating his own luck..that's what elite players are supposed to do.
uhhh what?

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:52 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Don't be greedy; they still need centres.

Desharnais + Eller for Giroux and Couturier.

Seriously though, what is up with Giroux? Bad chemistry? He lost his driving instincts? He used to be quite the hardnosed centre, he now plays it safe on the perimeter.

Btw, you had really bad breaks yesterday. Both in missed shots and literal break of sticks.
I was joking there, but honestly that would probably be a steal for the habs. I'm pretty sure if we could get our hands on Giroux, Therrien would find a way to bring out the best of him. Although I suspect Giroux's problems this season may have to do with something other than just athleticism, my guess is that he may be partying a little too much. He looks and sounds like the kind of gets a little too involved after the game. Just a guess though.

Last edited by Alexdaman: 02-17-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:00 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I was joking there, but honestly that would probably be a steal for the habs.
Probably...? Are you trolling, because if so, you're doing it right.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if we could get our hands on Giroux, Therrien would find a way to bring out the best of him. Although I suspect Giroux's problems this season may have to do with something other than just athleticism
He had 93 points last season and went ******* in the play-offs. I think Laviolette's probably doing okay handling him.

Quote:
my guess is that he may be partying a little too much. He looks and sounds like the kind of guy who's the loudest and craziest after the game.
Here we go...

Old
02-18-2013, 12:14 AM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Probably...? Are you trolling, because if so, you're doing it right.

He had 93 points last season and went ******* in the play-offs. I think Laviolette's probably doing okay handling him.

Here we go...
I'll correct this, it would be a steal for the habs, but there's a slight possibility that Desharnais and Eller may turn out to be better than they currently are and a slight possibility that Giroux's last season will not be repeated.

I'm not saying Laviolette didn't coach the team and Giroux correctly last year, well maybe he did just that in the second round... But I'm saying that maybe Therrien would do a better job handling Giroux at the present moment and with the current habs lineup.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:07 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
I'll correct this, it would be a steal for the habs, but there's a slight possibility that Desharnais and Eller may turn out to be better than they currently are and a slight possibility that Giroux's last season will not be repeated.

I'm not saying Laviolette didn't coach the team and Giroux correctly last year, well maybe he did just that in the second round... But I'm saying that maybe Therrien would do a better job handling Giroux at the present moment and with the current habs lineup.
Maybe. I'm not sure we have very much to base that thinking on, but there's always a chance I guess.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:02 AM
BringBackStevens

The expectations got a little too high for giroux after last season. He's still a fantastic player but there's a bunch of factors that made it obvious that he's not going to consistently put up 90 points

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Dude's last play as a Flyer was a diving attempt to stop an empty netter in the dying seconds of a sunk playoff series.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:39 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Dude's last play as a Flyer was a diving attempt to stop an empty netter in the dying seconds of a sunk playoff series.
While playing with a wrist that needed surgery and pneumonia.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
I don't think Richards ever didn't give a crap when he was on the ice. He may have had off-ice priorities that didn't align with what you might think a Captain's priorities look like, but that is all rumor and innuendo. I never watched Richie play and thought he was dogging it at all. That being said, I think the rumor and innuendo about the locker room issues and his work ethic off the ice probably have some truth to them...how much we may never know.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
I miss Richie. It was nice to see him go into alpha-male mode yesterday and almost bring the Kings back.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote