HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jake Gardiner

Old
02-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Mouse21*

vCash: 500
John Mitchell+2nd

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:07 AM
haterbehatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
John Mitchell+2nd
The same John Mitchell they let go for nothing? Why would you even want Gardiner by the way you value him he's not good enough to play for your team anyways.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:10 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Absolutely brutal.

Just terrible.

Garbage + garbage + garbage for injured garbage.
Fyp. Fact is Gardiner is somewhat umproven still and I would say you are getting 3 somewhat decent pieces for Gardiner.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:13 AM
IceDaddy

1st + B level prospect

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
He is not being traded.

Probably not until we trade a defenseman or we start losing.

He was down on a conditioning assignment after his concussion, but other players have stepped up, and we now have 8 defensemen not including Gardiner that have proven to be able to play NHL minutes, and can't be sent down without losing them.

Plus we are winning.
Is Gardiner a Carlyle type of player? Carlyle like his D to play physically, and Gardiner does not play that way.

Alflives* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
pooleboy

why do we make these threads? Dreger said Gardiner is an untouchable, he isn't going anywhere... lets not fix something that aint broken..... even tho i got caught up in the ROR for gardiner mix, i doubt ROR will get that type of package just basing on the avs position and that Gardiner is a potential stud pmd, i can see him settleing into a #2-#3 Dman but he has the potential to be #1.

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:49 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
why do we make these threads? Dreger said Gardiner is an untouchable, he isn't going anywhere... lets not fix something that aint broken..... even tho i got caught up in the ROR for gardiner mix, i doubt ROR will get that type of package just basing on the avs position and that Gardiner is a potential stud pmd, i can see him settleing into a #2-#3 Dman but he has the potential to be #1.
Whether Dreger says Gardiner is untouchable or not, it has nothing to do with anything as these threads are made for discussion as I'm sure you know...... this is a hockey discussion board.

Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
pooleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Is Gardiner a Carlyle type of player? Carlyle like his D to play physically, and Gardiner does not play that way.
lmao, Carlyle likes big tough D, but was Scott Neidermayer? is Cam Fowler a tough pysical D?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Crisp Breakout

I think that St. Louis deal is an overpayment considering Gardiner had a concussion and still isn't back in the NHL. Toronto fans value Gardiner like he's Niedermayer, but the reality of it is he isn't even playing in the NHL right now.

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
pooleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post
Whether Dreger says Gardiner is untouchable or not, it has nothing to do with anything as these threads are made for discussion as I'm sure you know...... this is a hockey discussion board.

no but these threads just become a leaf bashing thread so why even bother?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
lmao, Carlyle likes big tough D, but was Scott Neidermayer? is Cam Fowler a tough pysical D?
Are you comparing Gardiner to Neidermayer and Fowler? Those are two players who were (are in Fowler's case) very effective without needing to be overly physical. Gardiner is not a physical player, and has yet to prove to Carlyle that he can be effective on skill alone. Consequently, he is in the AHL. He will certainly get another chance, but if he again is not able to be trusted with ice-time, he will be demoted again, or traded.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 50
Is this the thread where the Avs fans hijack it with Kobasew+2014 2nd proposals?

AslanRH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:45 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
He's still somewhat unproven and is coming off a pretty serious injury. He'll have to show he's back before you'd get value for him.
He missed two weeks with whiplash. He's been playing and playing well down in the AHL. He deserves to be here BUT he's the only one that can be sent down without waivers.

No doubt, and Nonis has stated this in a recent interview, he's untouchable.

Since no one can be sent down it's likely Nonis is trying to move out a dman and call him back up.

He was AMAZING last year. He also put up some points -- especially in the second half.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Elliott + D'agostini + Schmaltz for Gardiner.

Former Jennings winner who set records last year. Former 20 goal scorer. Former first round pick for Gardiner who has a concussion. More than fair.
You're not sneaking that one by anyone.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Badger Mayhew*

Gardiner for a young centre straight-up is the only deal that makes sense for the Leafs.

Badger Mayhew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:41 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Does Rielly or Finn?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
He missed two weeks with whiplash. He's been playing and playing well down in the AHL. He deserves to be here BUT he's the only one that can be sent down without waivers.

No doubt, and Nonis has stated this in a recent interview, he's untouchable.

Since no one can be sent down it's likely Nonis is trying to move out a dman and call him back up.

He was AMAZING last year. He also put up some points -- especially in the second half.
Actually Holzer can, but he's been playing out of his mind.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post

Well his opinion is certainly more valid and respected than yours or anyone else's on these boards. How's that for discussion?

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Alflives*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Does Rielly or Finn?
Gardiner is a young player, who is one-dimensional. His offensive up-side needs to out weigh his defensive mistakes. Until that happens, Carlyle will not want to play him.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Regina Pat
Keep Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
He is not being traded.
You are very poor at reading OPs, apparently.

I don't think Gardiner on his own gets the leafs anything they want, but in a package he nets us a great player.

Regina Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:23 PM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Gardiner is a young player, who is one-dimensional. His offensive up-side needs to out weigh his defensive mistakes. Until that happens, Carlyle will not want to play him.
Hmmm, my memory might play tricks on me but was not Gardiner one of the better defenders defensively (and offensively) last season when Carlyle took over?

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Neither does John Michael Liles; he still plays. I'd like to think that, as an NHL coach, Carlyle's not going to bench a talented offensive defensemen because he doesn't punch people in his defensive zone.

But maybe that's just the optimist in me.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
I think that St. Louis deal is an overpayment considering Gardiner had a concussion and still isn't back in the NHL. Toronto fans value Gardiner like he's Niedermayer, but the reality of it is he isn't even playing in the NHL right now.
This is one of my favorite anti-Leaf quotes I've read in some time.

You're suggesting the Leafs trade their outstanding sophomore dman for a 3rd liner, some player I've never heard of and a late first prospect a la Percy/Finn.

It's not about placing value on Gardiner that's similar to Niedermayer, it's more about how he played and skates like a young Niedermayer. His potential is through the roof.

A top 4 that could consist of Rielly and Gardiner? Count me in, he's going nowhere.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Badger Mayhew*

Quote:
Um...no. Carlyle played him up to 25 minutes a night last year when he took over.

Badger Mayhew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisp Breakout View Post
He's a 22 year old offensive minded blueliner. People need to realize under 25 d all settle into their NHL roles differently. Some can come in right away and play while others need to refine parts of their game. Gardiner is fine. He's still a top tier young player and will have a long career in the NHL.

Has anyone watched Elliott play recently? He's been horrific. If Gardiner is moved, it'll be for a player of substance. Not a sponge of mix and match parts.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote