HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXII - Kessel Run Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Really? Besides his ridiculous liquor benders in the offseason seems like an alright guy. Luo seems to like him.
Evander Kane.

Patrick Kane is fine. I'll take him on my team any day.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Really? Besides his ridiculous liquor benders in the offseason seems like an alright guy. Luo seems to like him.
The other Kane. The one that makes Shane O'Brien look like captain material.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Kane is legit psychotic and his father is more so. BF coached him in major midget.
Oh ****. Just realized we are talking about different people. My bad.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Reverend Mayhem

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Evander Kane.

Patrick Kane is fine. I'll take him on my team any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The other Kane. The one that makes Shane O'Brien look like captain material.
Yeah my bad guys. I do think some of the stigma from him is from the fact that he is black but he is definitely not someone I would like to have.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler Von Gud View Post
You're racist

Old
02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
LadyJet26
Lest We Forget

vCash: 829
Quote:
Yeah my bad guys. I do think some of the stigma from him is from the fact that he is black but he is definitely not someone I would like to have.
Only two people think he gets criticized because he's black.

Evander Kane and Gary Lawless. And Gary Lawless is the biggest culprit for criticizing Kane in the media.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Canucker

Kane is just misunderstood...if he was in the NBA he'd be unremarkable. Unfortunately for Kane, the NHL isn't the NBA...we don't like OG *******s. It's why I dislike the NBA, too many dbags.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
VanCanucks14

Kane's a Vancouver kid so I have a soft spot for him. Would take him here in a heartbeat.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Kane is legit psychotic and his father is more so. BF coached him in major midget.
No offense, but all of these second-hand stories from your boyfriend sound like sour grapes. He seems to hate every successful hockey player he's ever met, and it doesn't seem entirely reliable...

I'd take Kane in a second. Bieksa would straighten him out

Old
02-17-2013, 06:05 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
No offense, but all of these second-hand stories from your boyfriend sound like sour grapes. He seems to hate every successful hockey player he's ever met, and it doesn't seem entirely reliable...

I'd take Kane in a second. Bieksa would straighten him out
Haha. Not quite.

Kane and Benn only. And for work ethic and attitude only.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:06 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Kane is just misunderstood...if he was in the NBA he'd be unremarkable. Unfortunately for Kane, the NHL isn't the NBA...we don't like OG *******s. It's why I dislike the NBA, too many dbags.
[I'm citing Ray Ferraro on this, he spoke about it on air earlier this week] Evander Kane has been regarded as an awful teammate throughout his entire hockey career, not just NHL. He isn't a leader and is often not well liked.

No thanks, wouldn't want him here on this current team make-up.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:08 PM
thepuckmonster
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stovepipe Cup View Post
{I'm citing Ray Ferraro on this} Evander Kane has been regarded as an awful teammate throughout his entire hockey career, not just NHL. He isn't a leader and is often not well liked.

Kane's dad makes Hodgson's dad look like parent of the year.

He's got some attitude problems. Talent up the wazoo, though.

But every Canucks fan seems to think that every Vancouver born player would be a great fit for the Canucks regardless.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stovepipe Cup View Post
[I'm citing Ray Ferraro on this, he spoke about it on air earlier this week] Evander Kane has been regarded as an awful teammate throughout his entire hockey career, not just NHL. He isn't a leader and is often not well liked.

I hope I didn't give you the impression I wanted him, until I see some maturity from him...not interested.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

Younger Vancouverite checking in to say that Kane is a ******.

Met him a few times through a mutual friend, guy barely even cared to shake my hand. I remember he then spent the majority of one night trying to hit on my friend's girlfriend and even dropped the "don't you know who I am?" card a few times.

Great player but not a personable guy at all. And I'd imagine that's how he is in the locker room as well. He has an ego the size of China.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:46 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Younger Vancouverite checking in to say that Kane is a ******.

Met him a few times through a mutual friend, guy barely even cared to shake my hand. I remember he then spent the majority of one night trying to hit on my friend's girlfriend and even dropped the "don't you know who I am?" card a few times.

Great player but not a personable guy at all. And I'd imagine that's how he is in the locker room as well. He has an ego the size of China.

Yea I'm a 91 born too so I have a lot of buddies who have played hockey with or known Kane growing up and apparently he's always been and likely always will be a grade A *********. Just cocky, annoying and a mouth on him to go with it.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:23 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 50
I would take Evander Kane, the hockey player on the Canucks, as long as he left his ego and personality in Winnipeg. Being from Vancouver, I think Kane would get into more trouble than good if he were a Canuck. Evander is not a personality you want in the current Canucks dressing room. They wouldn't be able to put up with babysitting him throughout an NHL season.

Pass.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:44 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
Right through you.

I think the best thing for Gillis to do now would be to hold onto both Luongo and Schneider for the year and deal one at the draft.

Schneider + Canucks 2013 1st should get us a top 5 pick.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:46 AM
VanCanucks14

Wow, didn't know Kane was THAT big of dick either. Too bad. Maybe it'll come with age for him.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:58 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I would take Evander Kane, the hockey player on the Canucks, as long as he left his ego and personality in Winnipeg. Being from Vancouver, I think Kane would get into more trouble than good if he were a Canuck. Evander is not a personality you want in the current Canucks dressing room. They wouldn't be able to put up with babysitting him throughout an NHL season.

Pass.
Yeah. Honestly, when it's bringing home a no-nonsense 'don't rock the boat' guy like Garrison for example, that's fine.

But when it comes to a guy with pretty well documented attitude/ego/immaturity issues like Evander Kane...it's just a recipe for disaster. Not at all what this team needs to add right now. And especially so given the cost a guy like Kane will fetch if/when he is moved. You don't pay a fortune in assets for a guy just on talent alone. This isn't an NHL videogame, these players are all real people...and there are real consequences outside the game.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:53 AM
Bleach Clean

What the Canucks get comes down to what they can retain next year. I've seen and posted line-ups with where if keeping both Raymond and Higgins, the margin is razor thin. The fillers in the roster are near minimum salary. It borders on being unrealistic.

So the question becomes, what can they take on without immediately losing an equivalent or better piece due to cap restrictions? Maybe an Eller, or he too might too rich for the team. It's pretty tight.

Barring a bigger deal involving roster pieces, I don't see how they can make moves to supplement the roster. Proto mentioned trading Raymond and Ballard this year to get a better top6 winger, instead of a waiting until the offseason, and I think that might be the way to go, depending on who the target is...

If nothing major like that is available, and the bargain adds like Eller are not there, then holding on this roster seems like the best course. The objective is to put the team in the best position to retain as much as they can this offseason. That should be the priority IMO. Make sure you have enough to go deep next year too.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Alflives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
What the Canucks get comes down to what they Proto mentioned trading Raymond and Ballard this year to get a better top6 winger, instead of a waiting until the offseason, and I think that might be the way to go, depending on who the target is...

If nothing major like that is available, and the bargain adds like Eller are not there, then holding on this roster seems like the best course. The objective is to put the team in the best position to retain as much as they can this offseason. That should be the priority IMO. Make sure you have enough to go deep next year too.
You have good ideas, but do you not think the Canucks already have enough top talent up front - Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth? These are certainly top six forwards. Plus, they have Kassian and Schroeder playing in the top 9, while on ELC's. Where they need to improve is on D. They either need to buck-up and get in a number one D, who eats up big minutes - every game, or they need to acquire a young D, who can play top 4 minutes, and is still on an ELC. Tanev is really close, and if paired with the right partner, could step up to play that role. (maybe if he was partnered with Hamhuis?) The key though, is to get one D, who will play well every night. Right now it's a crap-shoot as to which player will play well, or not.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
You have good ideas, but do you not think the Canucks already have enough top talent up front - Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Booth? These are certainly top six forwards. Plus, they have Kassian and Schroeder playing in the top 9, while on ELC's. Where they need to improve is on D. They either need to buck-up and get in a number one D, who eats up big minutes - every game, or they need to acquire a young D, who can play top 4 minutes, and is still on an ELC. Tanev is really close, and if paired with the right partner, could step up to play that role. (maybe if he was partnered with Hamhuis?) The key though, is to get one D, who will play well every night. Right now it's a crap-shoot as to which player will play well, or not.

This defense is one of the strongest in the league, top to bottom. Unless you get a franchise level Dman via trade, you would be hard pressed to improve upon it. I don't see clear upgrades out there... for a reasonable price anyways.

I still think this team could use 1 more player that can move around the line-up. Preferrably a C. I think Centre ice is too static now with Malhotra gone. Other teams know the Canucks centre line-up is H.Sedin-Kesler-Schroeder-Lapierre. That can be easily matched against with good coaching and late changes. I'd like one more C in there to throw off the opposition when required.

I keep coming back to him but Lars Eller makes a lot of sense to get. It's just retaining all these pieces beyond this year that becomes the problem. Eller would probably cost you a Raymond/Higgins next year --it will be that tight to get the players re-signed.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

If we want a left handed center who is pretty good at faceoffs, there is one guy who is probably available for cheap...but he hasn't been good this season or last season...

Marty Reasoner.
He's usually around 52-53% every year.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
02-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Canadian Gold X3
It is what it is.

Patrick Kane has really changed, I'd take him, over Evander any day.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:07 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

I like Patty Kane, has and will continue for the foreseeable future, don't think we could ever get him but would love him here. For a smaller winger he doesn't disappear in the post season (actually quite the opposite) and although you get the partying and such I have heard that he's a good teammate and good in the locker room. Not a fan of what I've heard about Evander Kane (or that fact that someone is rascist if they don't like him )

Closed Thread