HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm-Ott

Old
02-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Oil need a new coach. I mean, clearly they have all the best players in the world, yet they're still the worst team in the league every year?? Must be the coach.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
SoulPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Down to business.

No. That wasn't trollish. That was supposed to be funny. Yes, I'm eccentric. Haha.

To Ottawa:
2013 2nd rounder
Ryan Whitney

To Edmonton:
1st rounder in 2013 or 2014 (Ottawa has the choice at the draft table)
Mark Stone

The crazy and hilarious idea to poke jokes at is that if Spezza and Karlsson were healthy, the Sens would be in great shape. Chances are they won't make the playoffs this year. Yes. I'm sorry. I'm a pessimist.

I don't even think that Whitney would be the difference for making the playoffs, but he might be good enough to keep them competitive enough so that they sell significantly more tickets than they might otherwise be selling a month from now. If things go horribly bad, at least they can choose to hold onto the lottery pick.

Next year will be different. Ottawa has tons of young blood which will be more mature and ready to make a bigger impact. I refuse to believe they'll be looking at coughing up another lottery pick next year.
Such a bad deal. You basically took the OP and have Ottawa adding a 1st round pick to it . We are not giving up a top 10 pick to acquire Ryan ****ing Whitney. We are not buyers and we are not selling picks/prospects for struggling players with the hope of plugging holes and finishing 9th. The bolded paragraph is especially hilarious. Basically stating "Ryan Whitney won't help you make the playoffs, but he may help you sell more tickets". At least you give us the choice in what year you can bend us over though (2013 or 2014) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
Why do you even care?
. Agreed, We get it already. Oiler fans don't think Stone is worth much, so we'll hold on to him then rather than dump him away. Thanks for trying to "help" us though.

Last edited by SoulPatch: 02-18-2013 at 09:49 AM.
SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:43 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
...Must be the coach.
Who else who bench Whitney, none of the fans here think it was right, clearly must be the coach.

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:48 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stedman49 View Post
To Ottawa:

Ryan Whitney

To Edmonton:

Mark Stone
LOL

A salary dump and a guy that is a healthy scratch on one of the worst teams (and defences) in the league for a great prospect, who also happens to be the only sniping winger prospect (HM to Puempel) that we have, which is probably our biggest need.

Not a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
To Ottawa:
2013 2nd rounder
Ryan Whitney

To Edmonton:
1st rounder in 2013 or 2014 (Ottawa has the choice at the draft table)
Mark Stone
1st > 2nd
Stone > Whitney

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-18-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: not needed
internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
LOL

A salary dump and a guy that is a healthy scratch on one of the worst teams (and defences) in the league for a great prospect, who also happens to be the only sniping winger prospect (HM to Puempel) that we have, which is probably our biggest need.

Not a chance in h-e-double hockey sticks.

1st > 2nd
Stone > Whitney
Whitney > Ottawa 1st and stone.

Imho Whitney is more proven and is in a slump that I'm sure he will fix.

You just don't trade players in a slump for things of lesser value. That's why Edmonton doesn't make this trade.

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-18-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: qdp
Oiled up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
alpine4life

we have no need for Whitney, especially for a player that can no longer skate... I would have done that 3yrs ago though

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Godberle View Post

You just don't trade players in a slump for things of lesser value. That's why Edmonton doesn't make this trade.
Wait: so Whitney, a guy who has been a healthy scratch on numerous occasions and has been the Oilers worst player all season is worth a 1st round pick and Stone, yet in the Alfredsson thread, you say that Alfie has the following value, and I quote:
Quote:
2nd round pick and a B level prospect. He's getting old and would be a decent piece for any cup contender.
So let me get this straight: Your worst defenceman is worth a 1st round pick and an A- (B+, whatever) prospect, but Daniel Alfredsson, making a bargain basement $1mil, is worth at most a 2nd and a B prospect?

I have one thing to say to you, sir:

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-18-2013 at 01:58 PM. Reason: qmep
BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
officeglen

Quote:
... Whitney > Ottawa 1st and stone ...
How many other Oil fans agree with this?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
It's funny because from any other fanbase this is an obvious troll but it's just impossible to tell here.
I just have an opinion... Just like 7+ billion people in this world. I fully believe Whitney will get back to being the player he once was or atleast a useful player in the top 6, is that an issue? I don't see anything wrong with that what so ever in having confidence that your player will get back to form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Wait: so Whitney, a guy who has been a healthy scratch on numerous occasions and has been the Oilers worst player all season is worth a 1st round pick and Stone, yet in the Alfredsson thread, you say that Alfie has the following value, and I quote:

So let me get this straight: Your worst defenceman is worth a 1st round pick and an A- (B+, whatever) prospect, but Daniel Alfredsson, making a bargain basement $1mil, is worth at most a 2nd and a B prospect?

I have one thing to say to you, sir:
Alfredsson is in the peak of his career... That is fact, why would anyone pay a premium for an aging player? Alfredsson imo shouldn't even be traded but if you were to trade him I think you would be better off getting picks for him. Whitney who is younger (which is more valuable believe it or not) although has injury problems... imo is worth more than a mid 1st and a prospect as he can still get his **** together.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:25 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:

LOLWUT?

Stone has improved immensely, and has been playing like a first round pick, and has greatly improved the only weakness in his game, that being his skating.

Ottawa's 1st will likely be top 10, maybe top 5 in the strongest draft in years.

And you are telling me you wouldn't trade a salary dump who can't even make a very below average D corps and is a healthy scratch for either (or maybe you even mean BOTH!).

Last edited by spiny norman: 02-18-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: qmep
Old
02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Alfredsson is in the peak of his career... That is fact, why would anyone pay a premium for an aging player?
Because as you said, Alfie is in the peak of his career.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Oiled up*

Should have said "peak in his career".
The dude doesn't even know if he will be playing next year.. 2 draft picks in this coming draft is a good return imo. He's a rental player right now and they don't exactly fetch much iirc.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:42 AM
officeglen

Quote:
The dude doesn't even know if he will be playing next year.. 2 draft picks in this coming draft is a good return imo. He's a rental player right now and they don't exactly fetch much iirc.
Like Gaustad didn't fetch much, like that?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
You may wanna read the following two about Whitney...

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1348395

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415856

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
Classless Chaps

vCash: 50
Quote:
Whitney doesn't even know if he's going to be playing this year. You're a great troll though, well done.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
He's a rental player right now and they don't exactly fetch much iirc.
And a bad rental (Whitney) will fetch less than a 3rd round pick, great role player (Chris Kelly) will fetch a 2nd round pick, a good player (Alfie) will fetch a 1st and maybe more.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeglen View Post
Like Gaustad didn't fetch much, like that?
Late 1st < 2nd + 3rd imo.

Doug weight didn't fetch much as a rental and he was a fine player.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
spartachris

Ottawa could use a whitney .......just not Ryan, Ray maybe. Ottawa can not score goals right now there defence is sound to stay the course..Edmonton fans are about as bad as leaf and hab fans.(dreamers)

spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Whitney doesn't even know if he's going to be playing this year. You're a great troll though, well done.
You may not like what I have to say and that's too bad tbh. I gave my reasonable explanations for the proposals I put forth and have defended them because I think they are reasonable. Its unfortunate that in this day and age that someone who disagrees with someone else's opinion is considered trolling.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:14 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
I just have an opinion... Just like 7+ billion people in this world. I fully believe Whitney will get back to being the player he once was or atleast a useful player in the top 6, is that an issue? I don't see anything wrong with that what so ever in having confidence that your player will get back to form.

Alfredsson is in the peak of his career... That is fact, why would anyone pay a premium for an aging player? Alfredsson imo shouldn't even be traded but if you were to trade him I think you would be better off getting picks for him. Whitney who is younger (which is more valuable believe it or not) although has injury problems... imo is worth more than a mid 1st and a prospect as he can still get his **** together.
Wow, I just don't even know what to say to you anymore....

And by the way, a bottom pairing Dman is still a top 6 Dman, since there are only 6 (sometimes 7 on rare occasions) that are in the lineup at any one time.

But if you really think Whitney > (not even equal mind you, but GREATER THAN) a great prospect in Stone and a likely top 5 pick in a stupidly deep draft, then heaven help you...

Old
02-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Wow, I just don't even know what to say to you anymore....

And by the way, a bottom pairing Dman is still a top 6 Dman, since there are only 6 (sometimes 7 on rare occasions) that are in the lineup at any one time.

But if you really think Whitney > (not even equal mind you, but GREATER THAN) a great prospect in Stone and a likely top 5 pick in a stupidly deep draft, then heaven help you...
U mad bro? If Whitney gets back to form I have no doubt in my mind that hs is worth more than a mid 1st and a prospect. Imo the senz are a bubble playoff team still, and that 15 overall pick is <<<< a top 5 pick.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Mozesmadness
OIL KINGS

vCash: 116
Sens fans are overvaluing Stone, he has not proven anything at the pro level from what I have seen of him his skating is a major problem. So to think that they can trade him for a former 60 point deafence man is ridiculous. Whitney will attract plenty of interest and will be dealt for more than a maybe NHL caliber prospect like Stone.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
Sens fans are overvaluing Stone, he has not proven anything at the pro level from what I have seen of him his skating is a major problem. So to think that they can trade him for a former 60 point deafence man is ridiculous. Whitney will attract plenty of interest and will be dealt for more than a maybe NHL caliber prospect like Stone.
Exactly my point.... If teams need D they will have no problem in taking Whitney. Whitney is more proven and whether Whitney gets back to where he was a couple years ago is up to him and the team taking the risk him. It's not a stretch to assume that he will get his **** together.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:28 AM
officeglen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
... from what I have seen of him his skating ...
When have you last seen him skate?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:33 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Quote:
U mad bro? If Whitney gets back to form I have no doubt in my mind that hs is worth more than a mid 1st and a prospect. Imo the senz are a bubble playoff team still, and that 15 overall pick is <<<< a top 5 pick.
The Sens were a bubble playoff team WITH Karlsson in the lineup... without him, we are an anchor. Our chances of making the playoffs are slim and none, and Slim is dead. Our pick is essentially a lock for top 10, and likely top 5. Consider that we are missing our top center, the defending Norris winner, another top pairing D in Cowen, and guys like Latendresse, Michalek, Regin, etc have all missed time, and most of our lineup has less than 30 NHL games experience. Its like we're back in the expansion years, aside from Alfie, who at 40, cannot do it all himself. And you are saying that pick PLUS a great prospect in an area we have none like him are worth less than a guy regularly watching from the press box. If you still don't get it, I give up.

Quote:
Instead of trolling.... please tell me how my explanations are not reasonable? I think they are not that far fetched.
Look at what similar calibre players (Tangradi (yes, a F not a D, but same calibre of player) ) have went for recently. A frequent healthy scratch on one of the league's worst teams will not fetch more than that.