HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 NHL Entry Draft

View Poll Results: What type of player should we draft?
Powerforward [Centre/Winger] 10 5.92%
Two-Way Forward 1 0.59%
Playmaking Centre 8 4.73%
Goalscoring Winger 64 37.87%
Defensive-Defenseman 16 9.47%
Offensive-Defenseman 10 5.92%
Two-Way Defenseman 47 27.81%
Goaler 0 0%
Trade our 1st for an upgrade 4 2.37%
Other [Smallish Character Centres] 9 5.33%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2013, 02:32 PM
henchman24
If and if...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
If the Avs don't have a top-5, I don't mind them trading down a bit. I really like Hagg and Nichushkin.
Agreed, but I'm not sure many teams will want to trade up. 6-~15 looks to all be about the same level.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Speaking in terms of need and not BPA:

Even though I dislike MacKinnon, I think I prefer him on our team than Drouin. I still think Drouin is probably more talented, but MacKinnon's toughness, speed, and size is something we need on this team. Overall MacKinnon is more of a physical beast while Drouin is more talented, but smaller.

Old
02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
finds71

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxA78Ck7f5A

Pause at 17:06 if you want to see Seth Jones in an Avs jersey as a kid

Old
02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finds71 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxA78Ck7f5A

Pause at 17:06 if you want to see Seth Jones in an Avs jersey as a kid
Gotta believe if Jones is there when the Avs pick they will take him.

Would be a pretty safe bet to say Duchene and Jones would be life time Avs. And they would be easy to market together.

Old
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Speaking in terms of need and not BPA:

Even though I dislike MacKinnon, I think I prefer him on our team than Drouin. I still think Drouin is probably more talented, but MacKinnon's toughness, speed, and size is something we need on this team. Overall MacKinnon is more of a physical beast while Drouin is more talented, but smaller.
Any idea if McKinnon has focused a lot more on his overall game this season, possibly leading to the lower than expected point totals?

Old
02-12-2013, 03:57 PM
TatteredTornNFrayed
ocelot spleens, ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Nope, now you can finish as high as 9th in your conference and still draft 1st overall.
If you reread my question, I think you are actually saying "yes" to the part about the restriction on moving up only 4 spaces now being removed?

And that part I was fairly sure of, but still wondering if anyone has seen anything on what are the odds of being the "winner" for each finishing position (.i.e. number of balls or whatever), and if that has changed at all from recent years.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredTornNFrayed View Post
If you reread my question, I think you are actually saying "yes" to the part about the restriction on moving up only 4 spaces now being removed?

And that part I was fairly sure of, but still wondering if anyone has seen anything on what are the odds of being the "winner" for each finishing position (.i.e. number of balls or whatever), and if that has changed at all from recent years.
I forget where I heard it (hotstove maybe) but they haven't yet decided on the odds. I'm pretty sure they said the league may get together with the PA at some point, and make the odds heavier in favor of the losing teams, since any non playoff team can get the 1st overall.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatteredTornNFrayed View Post

Yeah, I did an awesome job answering your question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_Entry_Draft

Here, it says the same weighting system but removes the rule where a team can only move up 4 spots.

Old
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Quote:
If the Avs don't have a top-5, I don't mind them trading down a bit. I really like Hagg and Nichushkin.
He seems like a good fit on this team, but how does his KHL contract play in to his value/risk?

Old
02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Any idea if McKinnon has focused a lot more on his overall game this season, possibly leading to the lower than expected point totals?
Probably better asking a Q guy for this info, but the games I have seen I do admit he has been better away from the puck. That said, I still think he is a useless player without the puck.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Probably better asking a Q guy for this info, but the games I have seen I do admit he has been better away from the puck. That said, I still think he is a useless player without the puck.
I have seen three games this season, I was always more impressed with Drouin. But, the last one he got injured in he was playing very well at both ends of the rink, even made a nice steal defensively, rushed it up ice and made a nice pass for a goal.

Last edited by Lonewolfe2015: 02-12-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
I know he worked quite a bit on his faceoffs and they got substantially better. From everything I've read (and seen, albeit limited) he definitely seems to have been working on his overall game. One of the reasons I prefer MacKinnon over Drouin is that he already plays a very NHL-style game, he engages physically and is getting better using his speed/skating.

If the Avs end up with the top pick, I'll be torn between Jones and MacKinnon.

Old
02-12-2013, 05:53 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I have seen three games this season, I was always more impressed with Drouin. But, the last one he got injured in he was playing very well at both ends of the rink, even made a nice steal defensively, rushed it up nice and made a nice pass for a goal.
Oh yeah Drouin is just a fun player to watch with this stickhandling and movs, seems like the type of guy Avs love to draft.

Quote:
I know he worked quite a bit on his faceoffs and they got substantially better. From everything I've read (and seen, albeit limited) he definitely seems to have been working on his overall game. One of the reasons I prefer MacKinnon over Drouin is that he already plays a very NHL-style game, he engages physically and is getting better using his speed/skating.

If the Avs end up with the top pick, I'll be torn between Jones and MacKinnon.
Jones is by far my clear cut number one choice, but I even said that I think MacKinnon would fit our team much better than Drouin.

I still have Barkov as my 2nd choice and then two Mooseheads. Even though I think Drouin is Avs "favourite", Barkov would do wonders for our team.

Old
02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

Future av player.

Drouin-Duchene-PAP
Landy-burmi-Jones
Mcginn-mitchel-Downie.

Carlson-EJ
Trouba-Hejda
Barrie-Wilson.

Varly
JS

Coach Laviolette.

Shhh let me dream.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
22 years!!!

Looks like Drouin is pulling away from Mackinnon in terms of points, 16 with 1 less game played. He's 4 points away from the league lead with nearly 20 less games. I think he should go 1st overall, kids beasting it.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:19 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIufJ...ayer_embedded#!

Old
02-18-2013, 09:58 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Looks like Drouin is pulling away from Mackinnon in terms of points, 16 with 1 less game played. He's 4 points away from the league lead with nearly 20 less games. I think he should go 1st overall, kids beasting it.
Not if we get the 1st overall pick.

Last edited by S E P H: 02-18-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroHabitant View Post
Love that drive to the net. He's exactly what the Avs are lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
He seems like a good fit on this team, but how does his KHL contract play in to his value/risk?
I'm sure Varlamov could convince Nichushkin to stay.

Quote:
Jones is by far my clear cut number one choice, but I even said that I think MacKinnon would fit our team much better than Drouin.
Seth doesn't help the Avs need of having to find a partner for EJ Johnson... he's a righty too... not to mention the confusion McNab/Rycroft will have with 2 Jones

Old
02-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Flow

What would you guys think of trying for Nic Petan in the second round? (If he would even be available). Or is his size too much of an issue?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
ficohok*
Mrzim Kanadu !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
Love that drive to the net. He's exactly what the Avs are lacking.

And let's not forget he is still 17, will turn 18 later this month. I will follow him closely in upcoming KHL playoffs.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
AslanRH
Guenin Get Out

vCash: 354
Opinions on Monahan? seems to be slowly working up the mock draft boards into the top 6 or 7. With the Avs ability to get healthy before this year is over, I see it highly possible them ending up in the 4-8 range.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Nzap
Insert clever phrase

Quote:
Opinions on Monahan? seems to be slowly working up the mock draft boards into the top 6 or 7. With the Avs ability to get healthy before this year is over, I see it highly possible them ending up in the 4-8 range.
If the Avs pick in range of 4-8 I think Monahan is a strong possibility considering that the Avs haven't really picked any high draft choices outside North America for a long time. Pulock is another one.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:51 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Picture a hybrid between Tyler Seguin and Jordan Staal with great passing ability, that is what Monahan is.

If Barkov hasn't been chosen @ #4 then it definitely him.

I would take Sean somewhere between 5-10, but I prefer Nichushkin overall. Only problem is he's signed for a long deal with his KHL/VHL team, so that will make him drop, but damn I want Valeri!

Old
02-18-2013, 10:54 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
What would you guys think of trying for Nic Petan in the second round? (If he would even be available). Or is his size too much of an issue?
I have him ranked as a 1st rounder right now but I have a hard time figuring out how NHL teams might rank him. I think he could be picked anywhere from 20-75...which is a huge range.

Would love to see us snag him. He's actually a similar player to Joey Hishon. Smaller, dynamic guys with good work ethics.

Quote:
Not crazy about him. Loved him when I saw him as a 16 year old, but since then I just haven't been crazy about his game when I've seen him play. with that being said, I've never seen him live and have only seen him 3-4 times since he was 16 years old. If we get a top 5 pick I want one of the following:

- Jones
- MacKinnon
- Drouin
- Barkov
- Lindholm

Old
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
If we take a forward in the first round, I want a defenseman in the 2nd, and vise-verse of that.

Petan would be a fantastic 3rd round section, but I get a feeling a team will take him very high, somewhere in the middle of the second.

Closed Thread