HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Official Penguins Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-17-2013, 02:58 AM
  #76
clefty
What a nice fella
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Eh, he's got a lot of holes in his game. I actually think he's about average as a prospect.

clefty is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 04:20 AM
  #77
Alesle
Registered User
 
Alesle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Zlobin might end up being the steal of that draft for us.
I remember when people said that about Caputi and CPZ

Alesle is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 06:59 AM
  #78
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
Eh, he's got a lot of holes in his game. I actually think he's about average as a prospect.
But he's Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
I remember when people said that about Caputi and CPZ
The "steals" of the draft almost always bust because there is a reason they dropped so far. A guy who is a "steal", IMO, will typically be that guy who dropped from a 1st round grade to a 2nd round grade because he had a down year.

Our "steal" is Scott Harrington, even though at the time, no one wanted to admit it. He went from having a 1st round grade, to dropping all the way down the 2nd round, to becoming one of the best junior defenseman in Canada. I think what gets lost with him is how much hockey he has played since being drafted, and then factoring in that his play really hasn't slipped. The guy is tuned up to play 25 mins a night when he fully develops his strength.

I have little faith that Marcantuoni or Zlobin will pan out and be saviors like some have said here. Like you've said, I think they both will be closer to Caputi and CPZ in terms of development.


Last edited by JTG: 02-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.
JTG is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 08:23 AM
  #79
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 67,713
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Zlobin - Malkin - Neal

One day perhaps... Would be awesome.
With Kulemin on the other wing. Russian triumvirate.

Shrimper is online now  
Old
02-17-2013, 09:33 AM
  #80
ComplianceBuyout
Registered User
 
ComplianceBuyout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Brazil
Posts: 826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
With Kulemin on the other wing. Russian triumvirate.
Laziest line in the whole nhl

ComplianceBuyout is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 09:49 AM
  #81
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
But he's Russian



The "steals" of the draft almost always bust because there is a reason they dropped so far. A guy who is a "steal", IMO, will typically be that guy who dropped from a 1st round grade to a 2nd round grade because he had a down year.

Our "steal" is Scott Harrington, even though at the time, no one wanted to admit it. He went from having a 1st round grade, to dropping all the way down the 2nd round, to becoming one of the best junior defenseman in Canada. I think what gets lost with him is how much hockey he has played since being drafted, and then factoring in that his play really hasn't slipped. The guy is tuned up to play 25 mins a night when he fully develops his strength.

I have little faith that Marcantuoni or Zlobin will pan out and be saviors like some have said here. Like you've said, I think they both will be closer to Caputi and CPZ in terms of development.
Ya, hopefully people don't get too excited about Zlobin or Mac.

Mac is an unreal skater and strong as hell, but he seems to lack hockey sense. He has a ton of tools, but something is missing. He is a guy you watch and wonder why he isn't dominating, but he is invisible way too much.

Zlobin actually has good hockey sense, but he isn't overly skilled. I'm not sure where his career will take him, but he isn't a guy to be excited about I feel.

I'm not saying we should write these guys off, but don't get your hopes up.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:11 AM
  #82
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
I've never even seen the guy play more than a couple of games, so could you maybe describe what the holes in his game are?

He is certainly putting up numbers, but I do understand there are those Caputi and CPZ cases out there.

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
  #83
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I've never even seen the guy play more than a couple of games, so could you maybe describe what the holes in his game are?

He is certainly putting up numbers, but I do understand there are those Caputi and CPZ cases out there.
Its just one of those cases where you don't get blown away watching Zlobin.

Its sort of like Talbot in the Q. He put up the numbers, but you could tell he wasn't going to be a big impact player in the NHL. There was a lot of hype around Talbot back in the day, but I felt he would be a bottom six guy and said that at the time... and warned people back then that he wasn't going to be a big scorer at the NHL level.

Like with Talbot, there is just something with his skating and the way he handles the puck that gives you that feeling.

I think I learned a big lesson with guys like Kraft and Beech that if you have sub par skating and only decent stickhandling, its tough to be a top six guy in this league.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
  #84
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Its just one of those cases where you don't get blown away watching Zlobin.

Its sort of like Talbot in the Q. He put up the numbers, but you could tell he wasn't going to be a big impact player in the NHL. There was a lot of hype around Talbot back in the day, but I felt he would be a bottom six guy and said that at the time... and warned people back then that he wasn't going to be a big scorer at the NHL level.

Like with Talbot, there is just something with his skating and the way he handles the puck that gives you that feeling.
That's unfortunate. So he's not a Dustin Jeffrey type case then?

MrBurgundy* is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 02:13 PM
  #85
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,806
vCash: 500
unlike CPZ, I think Zlobin's scoring ability has a decent chance of translating to at least the AHL level. But like Caputi, I have my doubts that it'll carry over into the NHL.

I like Zlobin though.. he's not big but he's pretty feisty and goes to the dirty areas to score goals.

It's worth mentioning that he's 8th in the Q in points.. two guys ahead of him are expected to go in the top 5 in the upcoming draft, and three others are overagers.


Last edited by Jacob: 02-17-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Jacob is online now  
Old
02-17-2013, 05:25 PM
  #86
deakka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 500
Zlobin with 4 new points tonight in a 5-4 victory 1g+3a. Hes been on fire lately!

deakka is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 11:12 PM
  #87
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Portland Winterhawk's coach confirms that Pouliot will be out for another 1 to 3 weeks with a lower body injury.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...sson-baby-pens

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 02:38 AM
  #88
deakka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Portland Winterhawk's coach confirms that Pouliot will be out for another 1 to 3 weeks with a lower body injury.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...sson-baby-pens
*siiiiiigh*
season wasted for out pick that was a bit of a head-scratcher to start with. Not good

deakka is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 03:38 AM
  #89
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Am I missing something about Pouliot and Maatta? On the trade proposal threads, apparently these two aren't worth that much.

What have I missed about them this season? Have they regressed to an insane degree or what?

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 03:39 AM
  #90
Honour Over Glory
Registered User
 
Honour Over Glory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North America
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
unlike CPZ, I think Zlobin's scoring ability has a decent chance of translating to at least the AHL level. But like Caputi, I have my doubts that it'll carry over into the NHL.

I like Zlobin though.. he's not big but he's pretty feisty and goes to the dirty areas to score goals.

It's worth mentioning that he's 8th in the Q in points.. two guys ahead of him are expected to go in the top 5 in the upcoming draft, and three others are overagers.
CPZ stayed an extra year in the BCHL and then the WHL, his skating was so bad and it wasn't really improving. I see improvements in Zlobin's game from last year. The kid has the determination that Caputi and CPZ lacked, imo. If those guys were as driven as Zlobin is, maybe they might have made it, or in CPZ's case, kept his wife off twitter while improving his game.

Honour Over Glory is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:23 AM
  #91
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
*siiiiiigh*
season wasted for out pick that was a bit of a head-scratcher to start with. Not good
Whatever. He started the season and was performing at a much better level than he was last season, to the point that he got invited to the Team Canada WJC winter camp, even though he wasn't invited in the summer. Then he sustained 2 separate, and perhaps fluke, injuries. The Pens and Winerhawks are obviously being a little extra cautious with his return, because they want him back for their important time: the latter part of the season and the playoffs.

Anyway, missing a little bit of time being injured isn't necessarily a problem for a young player. Look at Beau Bennett. Or Morgan Rielly or Alex Galchenyuk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Am I missing something about Pouliot and Maatta? On the trade proposal threads, apparently these two aren't worth that much.

What have I missed about them this season? Have they regressed to an insane degree or what?

If there's one idea you can take to the bank, it's that random people on these boards neither dictate nor represent the value of these prospects to any significant degree associated with reality. It doesn't matter what people on these boards think, it matters what NHL scouts and GMs think when it comes to player/prospect value.

jmelm is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:34 AM
  #92
SprootsMasterFlex
Snooki for President
 
SprootsMasterFlex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
*siiiiiigh*
season wasted for out pick that was a bit of a head-scratcher to start with. Not good
I actually have faith in Pouliot reaching his potential. I wish they chose a talented forward instead but irregardless, what's done is done and the cards have already been dealt. Go Pens Go! Get Well Derrick & kick some butt.

SprootsMasterFlex is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:49 AM
  #93
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
I actually have faith in Pouliot reaching his potential. I wish they chose a talented forward instead but irregardless, what's done is done and the cards have already been dealt. Go Pens Go! Get Well Derrick & kick some butt.

I do have faith in him as well, and we should feel an extra degree of confidence that he tries/wants to model his game after Drew Doughty, and not some other soft-ish pure offensive Dman. Also, if anything, I'm hoping that such injuries will just prove to Derrick and make him feel like he needs to really train hard and add some additional strength this summer. He's got all the natural gifts, like Bennett, so if he puts in the work off the ice like Beau has done, I don't see any reason why he shouldn't reach his vast potential.

jmelm is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:17 AM
  #94
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 12,282
vCash: 500
I kinda hope Pouliot and Maatta are still in GMs minds as 'tremendous value guys' and that both are traded during this season.

Very much OK with 'only' having Morrow, Dumoulin, Harrington and Samuelsson as futures on D with as young a D as we already have.

More appropriately though, I should say that I don't care which D-men are traded other than Morrow who we should hang on to, as long as we use some assets from this insane D-prospect log-jam to get ourselves some help in the top6.

Tender Rip is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:43 AM
  #95
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
That's unfortunate. So he's not a Dustin Jeffrey type case then?
I didn't have much hope for Jeffrey until he improved his skating.

They are different players, however.

He just reminds me of Eric Meloche in a variety of ways.

Zlobin is always hustling and he goes to the dirty areas a lot. He makes up for lack of elite talent with a lot of heart.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 10:58 AM
  #96
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I kinda hope Pouliot and Maatta are still in GMs minds as 'tremendous value guys' and that both are traded during this season.

Very much OK with 'only' having Morrow, Dumoulin, Harrington and Samuelsson as futures on D with as young a D as we already have.

More appropriately though, I should say that I don't care which D-men are traded other than Morrow who we should hang on to, as long as we use some assets from this insane D-prospect log-jam to get ourselves some help in the top6.

I have no problem, at all, trading Maatta if we end up retaining Despres, and I would like to retain Dumoulin, as well. But I absolutely do not want to trade Pouliot, unless we bring in another PP-QB (of which there aren't many out there, but I'll use a guy like Streit or Visnovsky as examples), because I think he fits a need that nobody else in our oganization does. The guys I really want to keep, looking at 4-5 years from now are:

Letang
Despres
Dumoulin
Harrington
Morrow
Pouliot
(and I would like to keep Bortuzzo & Engelland until all those other guys are ready, because they will be our "veterans" when Orpik, Martin & Niskanen are gone)

I don't see any reason, with the other prospects and existing players, and if we keep all of our draft picks this year and make good selections) why we should need to make much more in the way of moves. We know we'll have to trade at least one of Orpik or Martin this summer, and Niskanen could be a good candidate for a trade at some point, as well. (and it's still possible Niskanen gets re-signed beyond next season, but traded after the extension)

As much as GMs may see certain prospects as "tremendous value guys", I can promise you that unless we're pulling a Rundblad-type swap at the draft (trading a recent pick for another team's pick), the best value we will get in return is for established NHL players. So if/when we have to trade any of Martin/Orpik/Niskanen, we should expect to get really good value for those players. So I'm not convinced that we have to trade any prospects at this time, or even in the future. Our plan should be to have our young guys be ready to come into the league as we moved our more established vets out. That's how we will extract the greatest value, as well as keep our cap situation most flexible.

jmelm is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
  #97
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,385
vCash: 500
Highly doubt Shero will trade Pouliot. That seems to be coming from the fans that didn't want to take him at #8 and wanted a forward etc. Bottom line is Shero did value him enough to take him at #8 so he will likely be one of the couple hardest prospects to pry away from Shero.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 12:31 PM
  #98
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I didn't have much hope for Jeffrey until he improved his skating.

They are different players, however.

He just reminds me of Eric Meloche in a variety of ways.

Zlobin is always hustling and he goes to the dirty areas a lot. He makes up for lack of elite talent with a lot of heart.
Zlobin reminds me of a couple of former NHLers...Yuri Khmylev and Jonas Hoglund. Those guys were bigger, but they complemented top-end skill fairly well. Khmylev was better defensively, and Hoglund had a better shot. But it's this type of player.

For that reason, I think Zlobin could become a great fit for this team. Yes, it's another complementary player, but he is a skilled complementary player. SO, I have hope in his case.

Jag68Sid87 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
  #99
EVGENIMERLIN
Registered User
 
EVGENIMERLIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

Letang
Despres
Dumoulin
Harrington
Morrow
Pouliot
(and I would like to keep Bortuzzo & Engelland until all those other guys are ready, because they will be our "veterans" when Orpik, Martin & Niskanen are gone)
Man our Blue Line is going to be good 3-4 years from now.

EVGENIMERLIN is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 12:42 PM
  #100
Mr Jiggyfly
Registered User
 
Mr Jiggyfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 14,248
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
Zlobin reminds me of a couple of former NHLers...Yuri Khmylev and Jonas Hoglund. Those guys were bigger, but they complemented top-end skill fairly well. Khmylev was better defensively, and Hoglund had a better shot. But it's this type of player.

For that reason, I think Zlobin could become a great fit for this team. Yes, it's another complementary player, but he is a skilled complementary player. SO, I have hope in his case.
I never write off any decent prospects, so who knows. I'm just not counting on Zlobin doing anything.

If he turns into a player, great.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.