HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 4.0

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 11:44 PM
AmeriHab

vCash: 500
The draft gets so much hype but If we're sitting 7-13 range in the standings at the deadline, I'd rather get huge return on everyone we put on the block and write the season off. Not trying to
Tank but if we're not sitting 6th or better and after seeing our injuries last night, the returns on our vets could be incredible.
Anyone agree or disagree?

Old
02-18-2013, 12:41 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
The draft gets so much hype but If we're sitting 7-13 range in the standings at the deadline, I'd rather get huge return on everyone we put on the block and write the season off. Not trying to
Tank but if we're not sitting 6th or better and after seeing our injuries last night, the returns on our vets could be incredible.
Yup, guys like Gionta, Cole and Kaberle might look good for a playoff push.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:02 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
A player I'd like us to draft if he slips to us (because of the russian factor) is Zykov. I REALLy liked him at the WJC. The kid is strong, seems to have a NA style of play and has the skills. Could pretty well end up as a top6 ''powerfoward'' IMO.

I think that if our 1st rounder is in the 20's, he could be a good value pick, but I'm scared by the fact that he's russian.

I think we should consider him a bit more in our discussion!
That's impossible my friend. I believe he wasn't even considered for the Russian squad at the WJC, they are pretty conservative when it comes to that and the 17 year olds must be pretty darn good to make the team (see Grigorenko, Nischushkin).

Old
02-18-2013, 07:47 AM
dcal64

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Yup, guys like Gionta, Cole and Kaberle might look good for a playoff push.
With the salary cap dropping to $64 million next year, only upcoming UFA will look good to contenting teams, all three you mentioned are signed for another year, so they are not really attractive at all. Most teams will have to shed salaries (hence the amnesty buy-out clause for next 2 summers), and they will not take on more salary.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
goforit

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
That's impossible my friend. I believe he wasn't even considered for the Russian squad at the WJC, they are pretty conservative when it comes to that and the 17 year olds must be pretty darn good to make the team (see Grigorenko, Nischushkin).
Oh man! You're damn right. I was sure it was him. Maybe I mixed him up with Kosov?

Anyway, I'm deleting the previous post 'cause, as I never saw Zykov play in the Q, everything that I said may be false.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Habsolument

Quote:
Originally Posted by goforit View Post
Oh man! You're damn right. I was sure it was him. Maybe I mixed him up with Kosov?

Anyway, I'm deleting the previous post 'cause, as I never saw Zykov play in the Q, everything that I said may be false.
Hey you might have seen him in the Subway Super Series or at the Top Prospects Game.

By most accounts he seems to be a very interesting prospect and one we should look at if we're to draft 15-30th. Good combination of skills/size and you have to acknowledge the willingness to come to Baie-Comeau to play in the Q.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
Who do you think we could get a huge return on exactly? We don't have any UFA's to trade at the deadline and the veterans on this team aren't going to bring you huge returns.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:10 PM
AmeriHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Who do you think we could get a huge return on exactly? We don't have any UFA's to trade at the deadline and the veterans on this team aren't going to bring you huge returns.
Huge was probably not the right term but I mean if we're just out of playoffs and decided to sell, the players we would trade aren't exactly having big slumps other than Cole and would get a generous return because we aren't so far out of contention

Old
02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post

True. But even a 4th/5th for someone like Kaberle...with Timmins and Dudley running the show there could land us a solid prospect that can possibly be a solid NHL player in 3-5 years. It's a conservative move, but one that helps.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
True. But even a 4th/5th for someone like Kaberle...with Timmins and Dudley running the show there could land us a solid prospect that can possibly be a solid NHL player in 3-5 years. It's a conservative move, but one that helps.
But if X player gets injured we'll be happy to have a quality 7th dman like Kaberle.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument View Post
Hey you might have seen him in the Subway Super Series or at the Top Prospects Game.

By most accounts he seems to be a very interesting prospect and one we should look at if we're to draft 15-30th. Good combination of skills/size and you have to acknowledge the willingness to come to Baie-Comeau to play in the Q.

I thought he played very well in that series. And has played exceptionally well in the Q this year. Skates well, great shot, holds up well with the physical play, sometimes even initiates the physical aspect, but more of a hard worker type when fighting for possetion.

With the three 2nd rd picks we hold this year, I'd gladly use one on him. He's likely to go in the bottom 1/3rd of the 2nd rd so he is someone MTL could get....he may even slide down to our 3rd due to the "russian factor".

Old
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I thought he played very well in that series. And has played exceptionally well in the Q this year. Skates well, great shot, holds up well with the physical play, sometimes even initiates the physical aspect, but more of a hard worker type when fighting for possetion.

With the three 2nd rd picks we hold this year, I'd gladly use one on him. He's likely to go in the bottom 1/3rd of the 2nd rd so he is someone MTL could get....he may even slide down to our 3rd due to the "russian factor".
He'll go in the first.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
But if X player gets injured we'll be happy to have a quality 7th dman like Kaberle.
I can see Weber doing as good a job as Kaberle for that role. All while helping longer term with our Cap.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He'll go in the first.
I'm guessing late 2nd for Zykov.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
I'd do cartwheels if we got Zykov with our first 2nd rounder, let alone late in the 2nd.

Then again, I still haven't done the cartwheels I said I would do if we got Bozon with an early 3rd.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:56 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'd do cartwheels if we got Zykov with our first 2nd rounder, let alone late in the 2nd.

Then again, I still haven't done the cartwheels I said I would do if we got Bozon with an early 3rd.
Well, McKeens had him ranked 22nd in their December rankings so I guess it depends on how much (if any) the "Russian Factor" plays in the minds of the ones doing the drafting on draft day. I suppose it's not out of the question that he could slide into the 2nd, doubt if he'd be around in the 3rd though, but who really knows?

Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
Well, McKeens had him ranked 22nd in their December rankings so I guess it depends on how much (if any) the "Russian Factor" plays in the minds of the ones doing the drafting on draft day. I suppose it's not out of the question that he could slide into the 2nd, doubt if he'd be around in the 3rd though, but who really knows?
The guy is playing in Baie-Comeau for christ sake I think the russian factor is overblown.

I'm sorry but I can't blame more than 20 players I'd take before Zykov. He could fall a la Collberg but cmon late 2nd round is completely foolish.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument View Post

I lived in Baie-Comeau for 2 years. Man, It's a hell of a comittment to decide to play there for a Russian!!!!! )

Old
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
All i want for this draft, is a Big, tough and talented powerforward.

Thank you.
Justin Bailey is 6'3", right handed shot and the son of a linebacker. Should be able to get him with a second round pick.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:18 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
What kind of package do the Habs need ti put together ti draft top 5?

How about:

- All 2013 draft picks.
- David Desharnais
- Rene Bourque
The "All my Draft Picks" has I think only worked once in the history of the NHL.

The best way to get a first round pick from a team that could be drafting top 10 is hindsight. That's how Sam Pollock did it. You give a team what they need now for their first round pick and then tinker with their division to make sure they lose as many games as possible.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
That's why Howson has been fired.
Montreal offered all of their picks for Mario Lemieux in 84. Pittsburgh turned it down. Both teams won Two Cups anyway.

I don't recall which team actually took the all of their picks thing but it's such a dumb proposal. So Montreal gives up all their picks for Drouin. Drouin breaks his leg and becomes Kyle Chipchura 2.0 What does Montreal have to show for the draft? Nothing.

Or the team that Montreal trades with to get that top 5 pick ends up picking up a Gallagher and a Subban with the second and fifth round picks. Montreal loses the depth game.

Teams don't take these offers because at some point they might end up losing on players due to the 50 player contract rule. It's just a dumb situation and shows GM desperation.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Montreal offered all of their picks for Mario Lemieux in 84. Pittsburgh turned it down. Both teams won Two Cups anyway.

I don't recall which team actually took the all of their picks thing but it's such a dumb proposal. So Montreal gives up all their picks for Drouin. Drouin breaks his leg and becomes Kyle Chipchura 2.0 What does Montreal have to show for the draft? Nothing.

Or the team that Montreal trades with to get that top 5 pick ends up picking up a Gallagher and a Subban with the second and fifth round picks. Montreal loses the depth game.

Teams don't take these offers because at some point they might end up losing on players due to the 50 player contract rule. It's just a dumb situation and shows GM desperation.
In that draft we got Corson, Svoboda, Richer, and Roy and we couldve drafted the likes of Robitaille, Suter(G.), Ronning and Hull...

As much as I like Lemieux(He's my favortie player of all-time and I think he deserve the''best'' of all time award.) I would not do this trade at all.

Corson+Svoboda+Richer+Roy for Lemieux? Is that intelligent to do ?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

The biggest wildcard of the draft has to be Domi. He's ripping it up on a stacked team. Consistent production that usually puts prospects in the top 3 talk but he's 5'10 and that's gonna matter despite physical strength.

Right now his play without the puck is still weak imo. He floats a little too much but he's the type that improves fast and playing without the puck is a mature aspect of the game that generally comes later. He should be in the top 10 but many don't consider him there.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Undertakerqc

Holy cow, there is a 12 year old Pee-Wee player at the Québec City tournament that is 6'6''. How tall will he be at 18?

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2013/...geant-a-12-ans

Maybe the Habs will draft him... in 6 year!!

Old
02-19-2013, 12:24 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Holy cow, there is a 12 year old Pee-Wee player at the Québec City tournament that is 6'6''. How tall will he be at 18?

http://www.journaldequebec.com/2013/...geant-a-12-ans

Maybe the Habs will draft him... in 6 year!!

... and he already weights 210 pounds

Closed Thread