HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Kings @ Oilers Feb 19 2013

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Oiled up*

vCash: 500
Kings @ Oilers Feb 19 2013

I think we should do these more often tbh, idk maybe that's just me.

Can the Oilers keep the momentum from that last game against the Avs? Or will the Oilers fold up like a cheap tent after they played their best game of this short season. Will we see some more Yakupov magic? Or will they lay an egg against the underachieving... ever so big and mighty Kings. Too many questions, too many answers... Thoughts on tomorrows game?

Old
02-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

vCash: 50
We won't be able to cycle as easy as last game , that's for sure

Old
02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
We won't be able to cycle as easy as last game , that's for sure
This team is so bi-polar that you are most likely right, not to the extent vs the Avs but iirc our top line cycled the puck against the humongous Sharks line and held their own pretty fine, we just couldn't score. I just don't know what to expect from this team right now but the last 2 games they seem to be simplifying everything... Which resulted in us outplaying out opposition.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
longtimeoilfan

vCash: 118
It will be a test... despite the Oil being ahead of the Kings in the standings, they shouldn't be able to play like they did last game - at least, not yet. If they do, I may even get caught up in the hype (I still won't agree with Gagner as 'our' 2nd line center though ). I am not sure if I feel this way because the Kings are a more formidable club than Colorado, or if seeing the Oil maintain the momentum would be a glorious - and somewhat surprising - thing indeed.

My guess is: the roller coaster ride that comes with being a fan of a young and promising NHL team continues... and if the Oil lose, there will be a lot of individuals on HF calling for new lines, Kreuger's head, and suggesting that the 'old ways' are dead and that the Oil need three scoring lines; which will quickly turn into an argument for the return of Omark, perhaps the signing of Cheechoo, and who knows what else... for the record, Schremp sits at almost 1.4 ppg, same as Omark. Imagine the powerplay with Omark and Schremp .

...in case it isn't clear, I am being facetious. Omark has no place on the Oil .

Hoping for a win, but as I wrote earlier, it will likely be a much bigger challenge... if, for no other reason, it will be harder to gain and maintain offense in the King's end.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Dirty beating. For who? Who knows? Tune in on Tuesday.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

We seem to lay an egg after big games. Hopefully that's not the case this time!

Old
02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Oiled up*

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimeoilfan View Post
It will be a test... despite the Oil being ahead of the Kings in the standings, they shouldn't be able to play like they did last game - at least, not yet. If they do, I may even get caught up in the hype (I still won't agree with Gagner as 'our' 2nd line center though ). I am not sure if I feel this way because the Kings are a more formidable club than Colorado, or if seeing the Oil maintain the momentum would be a glorious - and somewhat surprising - thing indeed.

My guess is: the roller coaster ride that comes with being a fan of a young and promising NHL team continues... and if the Oil lose, there will be a lot of individuals on HF calling for new lines, Kreuger's head, and suggesting that the 'old ways' are dead and that the Oil need three scoring lines; which will quickly turn into an argument for the return of Omark, perhaps the signing of Cheechoo, and who knows what else... for the record, Schremp sits at almost 1.4 ppg, same as Omark. Imagine the powerplay with Omark and Schremp .

...in case it isn't clear, I am being facetious. Omark has no place on the Oil .

Hoping for a win, but as I wrote earlier, it will likely be a much bigger challenge... if, for no other reason, it will be harder to gain and maintain offense in the King's end.
It will be a humongous challenge and my eyes will be glued on the TV to see how we respond.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:35 AM
SerbianEagle

This is a huge game. Kings are a tough tough team to play against and beat. Hemsky in his rookie year scored 4 goals against the Kings.

I expect a huge night from him, and an Oilers win. Its a huge homestand.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
I expect a violent and exciting game. This rivalry's been gaining momentum, brewing, and bubbling over the last few years and it will only get better as our team does. Big games from Hall and Doughty who seem to not like each other, and Hemsky continues to flash his mojo. I think he likes playing on a team that seems like it might go somewhere.

I'm going to say there will be a hard-fought 3-2 win (Hall, Yakupov, Smyth), and a conversation between arch rivals Lombardi and Tambellini over the merits of a Penner for Whitney swap.

In other news my older brother who, like me, has lived in Calgary most of his life but has been brought up an Oilers fan is up in Edmonton for training right now and this will be his first Oilers game at Rexall. So we're all hoping it's as intense as the last one. But hopefully not much more, he's got an angry streak and I'm sure if he was in the building last game he would have jumped on the ice and beat the refs senseless.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

EdmontonOilers
#Oilers line combos at practice: 4-93-14, 91-89-83, 94-20-64, 55-54-56.

Magnum gets a promotion, Yakupov stays RW with the vets.

Jones taking spins on the 4th line. Still likely he doesn't play till they hit the road.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:16 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
EdmontonOilers
#Oilers line combos at practice: 4-93-14, 91-89-83, 94-20-64, 55-54-56.

Magnum gets a promotion, Yakupov stays RW with the vets.

Jones taking spins on the 4th line. Still likely he doesn't play till they hit the road.
VERY interesting that Yak is back off #2. It's clear there was nothing there with him and Smyth and Belanger. You don't dismantle a nuke and toss it in with some AK-47s.

That said, Yakupov's passes haven't been at 2nd line skill so far. Sure, he's scored some big goals (some even garbage), but puck movement and cycling at NHL level hasn't been there yet. Maybe that's also what Krueger's seeing, but imo, you let him develop it rather than attach trainig wheels.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:23 PM
HopelessOilFan

I just hope yakupov can get a little more comfortable and find his place soon. He just seems to tentative and nervous whenever he has the puck on his stick. His passes are like rockets though, if anyone on the team ever learns to receive those like gagner did last game on the setup to eberles goal, we could be dangerous.

I also like have Yakupov with Eberle on the PP. As much as nuge and ebs look good together, nuge is in a funk where the only pp play he will make is a cross crease pass to ebs which they keep blocking. This forces them to change it up a bit.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
It's nice to see Pajaarvi getting rewarded, but I'm not confident that those lines will be the same for the whole game.

I expect Yak and Pajaarvi to switch places again.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
VERY interesting that Yak is back off #2. It's clear there was nothing there with him and Smyth and Belanger. You don't dismantle a nuke and toss it in with some AK-47s.

That said, Yakupov's passes haven't been at 2nd line skill so far. Sure, he's scored some big goals (some even garbage), but puck movement and cycling at NHL level hasn't been there yet. Maybe that's also what Krueger's seeing, but imo, you let him develop it rather than attach trainig wheels.
Yak has been less dynamic recently but I don't think that's why he's on the 3rd line. I think Paajarvii is on the second line because he earned it and because the Oilers want some size on that line against a big Kings team. I've been hoping they try him there for a while now.

It's nice to see the coaching staff reward guys who are performing and sit guys who aren't. Smytty sat out and came back in and performed better. Hopefully this trend continues with players responding and upping their game after they sit. With Jones back soon players are gonna have to earn their place in the lineup.

I like the look of that fourth line. Lots of size. Hopefully they can wear down the Kings cycling the puck down low and not be too much of a liability in the defensive zone.

Any word on Petrell?

Old
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
I just hope yakupov can get a little more comfortable and find his place soon. He just seems to tentative and nervous whenever he has the puck on his stick. His passes are like rockets though, if anyone on the team ever learns to receive those like gagner did last game on the setup to eberles goal, we could be dangerous.

I also like have Yakupov with Eberle on the PP. As much as nuge and ebs look good together, nuge is in a funk where the only pp play he will make is a cross crease pass to ebs which they keep blocking. This forces them to change it up a bit.
I liked the PP units last game. They were much less predictable.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
lakai17

All LA need to do is bring their physical play.

All Edmonton can do for a win is to skate 60 minutes and attempt to play along the boards if they want a chance to win.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:49 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Yak has been less dynamic recently but I don't think that's why he's on the 3rd line. I think Paajarvii is on the second line because he earned it and because the Oilers want some size on that line against a big Kings team. I've been hoping they try him there for a while now.

It's nice to see the coaching staff reward guys who are performing and sit guys who aren't. Smytty sat out and came back in and performed better. Hopefully this trend continues with players responding and upping their game after they sit. With Jones back soon players are gonna have to earn their place in the lineup.

I like the look of that fourth line. Lots of size. Hopefully they can wear down the Kings cycling the puck down low and not be too much of a liability in the defensive zone.

Any word on Petrell?
True enough. I'm all for rewarding a player's effort and system buy-in. But I don't see much wrong with MPS developing as a 3rd liner. Maybe this is where he is ideally suited? The size is there, but the hands and finishing - so far - haven't been. It's not as though he'll be wasted on the 3rd. Ralphie likes to roll lines, so he'll get his ice time.

In the meantime, we have Yakupov, skilled as ever, who could benefit from working out the kinks with Gags and Hemmer. THAT'S a guy you have higher expectations from. He isn't going to the farm, so he's here for the year. I saw nothing from him while with Smyth and Belanger. And right or wrong, I worry about the response he has to the "demotion".

If Hartikainen's shoulder is good for the bump and grind, I love the 4th line too.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:52 PM
IV XIV XCI

I think we need to get the first goal.

First period scoring has been a bit lacking. Play in front and build on leads.

I hope we can get 30+ shots again. It will show that they are committed to working this new system of blasting pucks on net from everywhere.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
It's nice to see Pajaarvi getting rewarded, but I'm not confident that those lines will be the same for the whole game.

I expect Yak and Pajaarvi to switch places again.
Obviously you don't believe in the Mega New Age Awesome System of Destiny.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Obviously you don't believe in the Mega New Age Awesome System of Destiny.
When he scores a hat-trick, I'll believe it.

And this time, not pre-season against Tampa Bay.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dookers9 View Post
True enough. I'm all for rewarding a player's effort and system buy-in. But I don't see much wrong with MPS developing as a 3rd liner. Maybe this is where he is ideally suited? The size is there, but the hands and finishing - so far - haven't been. It's not as though he'll be wasted on the 3rd. Ralphie likes to roll lines, so he'll get his ice time.

In the meantime, we have Yakupov, skilled as ever, who could benefit from working out the kinks with Gags and Hemmer. THAT'S a guy you have higher expectations from. He isn't going to the farm, so he's here for the year. I saw nothing from him while with Smyth and Belanger. And right or wrong, I worry about the response he has to the "demotion".

If Hartikainen's shoulder is good for the bump and grind, I love the 4th line too.
I think with the way Yakupov has been playing lately that if he's on the 2nd line that line gets eaten up in the defensive and neutral zones against the kings. Paajarvii will be better at winning battles and keeping defensive position in the D zone and will be better at puck retrieval for that line in the offensive zone.

Yakupov's still feeling his way into things at the NHL level. Some time on the 3rd line won't kill him, he won't be there the whole year. He'll still get his PP time.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
What were the PP units last game?

RNH-Hall-Hemsky-Schultz-Paajarvi
Gagner-Eberle-Yakupov-Smyth-Whitney

I think... can't remember.

Yakupov didn't look good or very comfortable last game until he was put back with Hemsky and Gagner on the LW. Think that's where he'll end up again tomorrow.

It's weird going 2 and 3 days between games when it's been every other day for the first month.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
What were the PP units last game?

RNH-Hall-Hemsky-Schultz-Paajarvi
Gagner-Eberle-Yakupov-Smyth-Whitney

I think... can't remember.

Yakupov didn't look good or very comfortable last game until he was put back with Hemsky and Gagner on the LW. Think that's where he'll end up again tomorrow.

It's weird going 2 and 3 days between games when it's been every other day for the first month.
I think those were it.

It seemed that Eberle and Gagner has some good chemistry.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:39 PM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

I want to see a line up of:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky
Hartikainen-RNH-Eberle
MPS-Belanger-Yakupov

Old
02-18-2013, 02:59 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Was last game our breakout game offensively? Are we going to start scoring more than 1-2 goals per game?

Kruger has FINALLY gotten through to the team about getting pucks to the net. We've now had two back-to-back performances where we clearly dominated the other team. If we can play like that against a very defensive minded team in LA and score more than 3 goals against them, then I think this team will officially be over their offensive woes.

Closed Thread