Notices

TNSE Looking at getting a WHL team

Old
02-18-2013, 12:11 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tntkid View Post
A WHL team is a good option for families that can't get tickets or afford to go to a Jets game.

I would prefer that they do not play at the MTS Centre as there would be hardly any days open for winter concerts or events.
There's no other arena for them to play. Is Max Bell the second biggest rink in the city?

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:13 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
There's no other arena for them to play. Is Max Bell the second biggest rink in the city?
Could the IcePlex be expanded?

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 0
Honestly, in terms of travel/rivalries, I would rather see the U of Manitoba go the route of Simon Fraser University and join the NCAA. Winnipeg/Manitoba is at a real disadvantage with regards to travel, but group them in with North Dakota and Minnesota and I'd be real happy.

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:47 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Could the IcePlex be expanded?
Do you think anyone from east or north Winnipeg would drive to Headingly to watch WHL hockey at the ice plex?

Or maybe just name a possible Winnipeg WHL team the St. James Canadians

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:50 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 800
Really don't think the WHL or CHL hockey in general is as relevent as it once was, just as many of the current NHL players are from US colleges, Canadian defenceman are becoming extinct and the CHL just doesn't produce many anymore, look at the NHL rosters for proof.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Really don't think the WHL or CHL hockey in general is as relevent as it once was, just as many of the current NHL players are from US colleges, Canadian defenceman are becoming extinct and the CHL just doesn't produce many anymore, look at the NHL rosters for proof.
Yeah just looking at most rosters or drafts list for about 2 minutes and its pretty clear your post is completely incorrect.

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Reply to everybody

I watch all the Manitoba Bisons' home games. In fact, I have a thread all about it in HF's college section:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...187551&page=11

The U of M could do a better job promoting itself. The best teams in the CW are on par with the world juniors, and well above the WHL. Most of the Bison roster is WHL grads playing on WHL scholarships.

So if you want a live hockey option, you have it already.

I watch loads of junior hockey and the Max Bell is the 2nd best arena in town, just barely ahead of the St. James Civic Centre. (The Eric Coy Arena would be 3rd.) The Ice Plex is fine but the seats don't have backs, and I would rate it 4th.

None of those venues is remotely ready for major junior. Maybe one day the U of M will get a new arena but I would guess it would be more like the ones in Portage or Selkirk (which are great but seat about 3,000) than the one in Brandon (which seats about 6,000).

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:24 PM
SCP Guy

Meh it's not for me....but if they can make money off it then go for it TNSE......

SCP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
Repoman

I'll be honest, I probably would not be a season ticket holder, but as others have mentioned I would definitely be going to check out our prospects and some of the other higher picks. Maybe a dozen games or so if I had to guess.

Repoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I watch all the Manitoba Bisons' home games. In fact, I have a thread all about it in HF's college section:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...187551&page=11

The U of M could do a better job promoting itself. The best teams in the CW are on par with the world juniors, and well above the WHL. Most of the Bison roster is WHL grads playing on WHL scholarships.

So if you want a live hockey option, you have it already.

I watch loads of junior hockey and the Max Bell is the 2nd best arena in town, just barely ahead of the St. James Civic Centre. (The Eric Coy Arena would be 3rd.) The Ice Plex is fine but the seats don't have backs, and I would rate it 4th.

None of those venues is remotely ready for major junior. Maybe one day the U of M will get a new arena but I would guess it would be more like the ones in Portage or Selkirk (which are great but seat about 3,000) than the one in Brandon (which seats about 6,000).
Bison hockey is really good hockey, its too bad our University Athletics will never compare to that of the US. I like watching the Bisons but not many others do.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Lux Aurumque*

The Oil Kings and Hitmen do fairly well. Can't see why it wouldn't work in Winnipeg.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:36 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey Rustie View Post
Honestly, in terms of travel/rivalries, I would rather see the U of Manitoba go the route of Simon Fraser University and join the NCAA. Winnipeg/Manitoba is at a real disadvantage with regards to travel, but group them in with North Dakota and Minnesota and I'd be real happy.
They'd never come close to the level of hockey the Sioux or Gophers play with. U of M hockey stinks.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
The Oil Kings and Hitmen do fairly well. Can't see why it wouldn't work in Winnipeg.
I hope they name them the Junior Jets or maybe the Jerts

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

02-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Shakey Rustie
2L

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksnWpg View Post
They'd never come close to the level of hockey the Sioux or Gophers play with. U of M hockey stinks.
Well obviously the quality would change, along with the eligibility rules to fit in with the NCAA. But much like SFU, better players are more likely to join then and be part of the NCAA, pooling players from across Canada and parts of the USA to make their roster.

Shakey Rustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:27 PM
pcanuck

I hope this is untrue. If it is true, it is sad for the fans of Winnipeg. Chipman is establishing a monopoly in the city. This begins with the non-compete clause the MTS Centre already has. Now, it's a WHL team to solidify a hockey presence in Winnipeg with all teams coming and going through the MTS Centre (their hotels, bars and I'm sure soon malls). Can you say Sam Katz? My oh my.

Perhaps TNSE should concentrate on running their new NHL franchise and its relationship with its AHL affiliate - both which are floundering.

Instead, TNSE is filling their pockets. First it was getting rid of the old JEts merchandise so they could see their own. They actually contacted the RCMP to investigate the counterfeit jerseys (I have friends in the RCMP too). They are also finding new ways to screw season ticket holders into paying to resell their tickets or giving tickets to others.

Here's a stat - Winnipeg fans pay the highest ticket prices for hockey in NORTH AMERICA (when you consider/ control for median household income). YES, this is true.

Also consider that fans like us here in Edmonton get NHL games for free, while Winnipeggers are paying $10 a month for the TSN Jets (which should be free but they are soaking fans further). So consider 300K homes that get the channel at $10 a month (where the Jets retain 70% of the net revenue; so $7 a month) at 7 months (Oct-Apr) - $49 x 300K homes. That's $14.7M a year in TV revenue for NOTHING ....

And now ... they want to soak the money out of all those people who can't afford to go to Jets games. Maybe TNSE already sees the writing on the wall and realize they need to gain a larger foothold in the city and fill the arena every night.

Mark my words Jets fans - 10 years! In 10 years, Chipman will say the team is no longer viable in Winnipeg with 15000 seats and wants taxpayers to shell out for a new arena.

TNSE disappoints me. They are so concerned with revenue they can make off the backs of fans and in turn, reward them with a 5 year rebuilding program for a 5 year commitment on season tickets.

At least I can say that the Edmonton Oilers rebuild is significant but it's fun to watch. I wish I could say the same about the Winterpeg Jets but I can't - we here in yes, WESTERN CANADA can't see any of their games b/c TNSE sold their broadcast rights to BELL CANADA who refuse to show the games in any other market for less than what they are charging Jets fans.

It's very sad to see how this sport has become simply a money grab business for these owners.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:34 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:
lol what?? U of M Bison hockey is still high level hockey. Some guys go over and play in europe when there career is done at UM. Is it as good as NCAA probably not the top teams but they could hang with most.

bigplay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
I hope this is untrue. If it is true, it is sad for the fans of Winnipeg. Chipman is establishing a monopoly in the city. This begins with the non-compete clause the MTS Centre already has. Now, it's a WHL team to solidify a hockey presence in Winnipeg with all teams coming and going through the MTS Centre (their hotels, bars and I'm sure soon malls). Can you say Sam Katz? My oh my.

Perhaps TNSE should concentrate on running their new NHL franchise and its relationship with its AHL affiliate - both which are floundering.

Instead, TNSE is filling their pockets. First it was getting rid of the old JEts merchandise so they could see their own. They actually contacted the RCMP to investigate the counterfeit jerseys (I have friends in the RCMP too). They are also finding new ways to screw season ticket holders into paying to resell their tickets or giving tickets to others.

Here's a stat - Winnipeg fans pay the highest ticket prices for hockey in NORTH AMERICA (when you consider/ control for median household income). YES, this is true.

Also consider that fans like us here in Edmonton get NHL games for free, while Winnipeggers are paying $10 a month for the TSN Jets (which should be free but they are soaking fans further). So consider 300K homes that get the channel at $10 a month (where the Jets retain 70% of the net revenue; so $7 a month) at 7 months (Oct-Apr) - $49 x 300K homes. That's $14.7M a year in TV revenue for NOTHING ....

And now ... they want to soak the money out of all those people who can't afford to go to Jets games. Maybe TNSE already sees the writing on the wall and realize they need to gain a larger foothold in the city and fill the arena every night.

Mark my words Jets fans - 10 years! In 10 years, Chipman will say the team is no longer viable in Winnipeg with 15000 seats and wants taxpayers to shell out for a new arena.

TNSE disappoints me. They are so concerned with revenue they can make off the backs of fans and in turn, reward them with a 5 year rebuilding program for a 5 year commitment on season tickets.

At least I can say that the Edmonton Oilers rebuild is significant but it's fun to watch. I wish I could say the same about the Winterpeg Jets but I can't - we here in yes, WESTERN CANADA can't see any of their games b/c TNSE sold their broadcast rights to BELL CANADA who refuse to show the games in any other market for less than what they are charging Jets fans.

It's very sad to see how this sport has become simply a money grab business for these owners.
TSN isn't free because BELL IS THE MONEY HOG! NOT TRUE NORTH! At least we get a better broadcast then the idiots that you in Edmonton get. The commentator that said ********** on live TV. Much rather have TSN then a Rogers owned Sportsnet. The disgrace of all sports networks.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:02 PM
LadyJet26
GO JETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
lol what?? U of M Bison hockey is still high level hockey. Some guys go over and play in europe when there career is done at UM. Is it as good as NCAA probably not the top teams but they could hang with most.
In a division with the Sioux and Gophers, they'd get destroyed.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Snot Rocket

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Do you think anyone from east or north Winnipeg would drive to Headingly to watch WHL hockey at the ice plex?

Or maybe just name a possible Winnipeg WHL team the St. James Canadians
30 minutes to the iceplex from just north of Inkster and Main, that was with a stop for coffee.

Not unreasonable.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
(...)

Heh. Welcome to professional sports.

TNSE, like any business, bases their decisions on what they believe the market will bear. The decision on your end is pretty simple, no? Don't give them your money.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

Quote:

All of us fans in Winnipeg thank you for your outrage. However, I for one am happy they are exploring all revenue streams. I am more than happy to pay for TSN Jets, the merch I buy, and the games I get to. I want to be a part of the NHL long term in this city, especially after going through the pain of losing a team once.

Some people don't believe that entertainment should be free. Count me amongst those.

02-19-2013, 12:11 AM
Boreal

I too am happy to support an ownership group that is committed to the NHL in Winnipeg. They provide a service that I enjoy. It is not a crime for them to want to be profitable. Additionally, there has been ample opportunity for other individuals to stick their iron in the fire so to speak if they though they could make a go of junior hockey in Winnipeg. I am very hopeful that True North can pull this off.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:18 AM
Aerial

Quote:
While managing expansion carefully is an important aspect of business, it's not like Chevy and Zinger would be running a hypothetical WHL team. TNSE employs a large number of people. The business-side people that would lead an initial WHL acquisition aren't involved with the hockey operations of the Jets or IceCaps, and then there'd be a new crew of people handling the WHL team.

Quote:
Instead, TNSE is filling their pockets. First it was getting rid of the old JEts merchandise so they could see their own. They actually contacted the RCMP to investigate the counterfeit jerseys (I have friends in the RCMP too).
Other than gear sold at Jets Gear, TNSE doesn't make any more money from the sales of Jets merch than any other league in the team makes from sales of Jets merch. The licensing fee goes to the NHL.

Also, you don't need a friend in the RCMP to know that -- the media covered the RCMP investigation of jersey frauds. The RCMP do this all the time with other brands too. Counterfeiting is illegal, and there's nothing objectionable to any business wanting to protect its brand.

Quote:
Yes, we all know this. This is in large part because we have the smallest building in the league. And beyond that, so what? Every business sells its goods for a price the market can bear. TNSE didn't buy the Jets to run a charity -- they bought the Jets to make money, and they're in a market right now that supports higher prices. Welcome to market capitalism, please enjoy your stay here.

Quote:
Also consider that fans like us here in Edmonton get NHL games for free, while Winnipeggers are paying $10 a month for the TSN Jets (which should be free but they are soaking fans further).
AFAIK that's not a TNSE issue.

Quote:
And now ... they want to soak the money out of all those people who can't afford to go to Jets games.
"Soak?" You're making it sound like they'd hold a gun to everyone's heads and force them to buy WHL tickets. I'd love to buy hypothetical WHL season tickets -- I really enjoy junior hockey, and it would be lots of fun to have a team close to home and get a chance to see all the WHL prospects without having to schlep out to Brandon. I'm not some poor pitiable soul who can't afford to go to Jets games and must be forced into handing TNSE money in some other fashion. It's a product I want to buy.

Bottom line: TNSE is a for-profit company, like every other company on the planet. They're not an evil empire and they aren't out to screw anybody. They're selling a product, and we as the public can buy it or not. They'd be a bad company if they *weren't* exploring various options to expand their holdings.

We can debate if those options make business sense based on the market and what we know of TNSE, but there's really no reason to act like it's some personal affront to the fans of Winnipeg.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:18 AM
puck stoppa

Quote:
In a division with the Sioux and Gophers, they'd get destroyed.
They lost to UND 5-3 and tied Bemidji State 3-3 this year. You have to remember they can compete with those teams mainly cause the players are much older. Bison players are 21-26 and NCAA is usually 18-24, so they would hardly get smoked.

Also, SFU does not play in Div 1 they play in a Div 2 or 3 Conference, so its tough to compare to them.

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote