HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2012-2013 Connecticut Whale/Greenville Road Warriors Thread (AHL, ECHL) Part II

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 01:53 AM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

vCash: 500
Really loving these updates. Thanks a lot, Beacon. Do you think McIlrath will be up with the big club later in the year?

Old
02-18-2013, 02:06 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Really loving these updates. Thanks a lot, Beacon. Do you think McIlrath will be up with the big club later in the year?

He was just terrific tonight. Not only can he play defense, he's like a textbook on defense. He sees the ice really well too, so his passes on defense are stick to stick. When two years from now we'll be debating who's our best defenseman, Staal, McDonagh or McIlrath, a lot of Undertaker-haters here will be looking really stupid.

The progress he's shown in a month is just phenomenal. If he keeps this up, he'll be in the NHL soon.

If you watched today's game without knowing who's playing and you were asked who's the #10 overall pick on the ice, you'd point out McIlrath. The team is allowing him to acclimate to the pros right now, but he should be in the NHL real soon if he doesn't regress.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:55 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Whale look like they have turned it around, despite 5 fwds injured
NICE

On paper - they would not look all bad if all injured players were back...

Hrivik - Newbury - Ferriero
Haley - Tessier - Thomas
Mashinter - Jean - Palmieri
Bourque - Yogan - Segal

Wilson, Carroll (Wiebe - out for season)

Is half decent

If all 3 new acquistions (Mashinter, Ferriero & Palmieri) are qualified/resigned and the team remains intact (except Segal, Carroll & maybe Tessier? not getting new contracts) plus Lindberg, Fast and MSC join at the end of the year plus next year, very strong pipeline of young players coming up that should be great for organization moving fwd.

However, I expect to see us lose some young players in deals for rentals as Sather will be busy at the deadline, be so sure...

Old
02-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

The forwards aren't bad on this team. The issue is more on defense. If we could have someone like Eminger replace Collins, it would be great.

The lines should be different than what you listed.

Mash - Newbury - Segal
Hrivik - Palmieri - Ferriero
Haley - Tessier - Thomas
Yogan - Jean - Bourque

This is a strong group of forwards. The problem was defense, but with Vernace going hot, Pyett playing competently, Parlett and Klassen already being good and McIlrath making huge strides, even the defense is ok now.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:49 AM
NYR Viper

Greta to hear about McIlrath! Hope he keeps it up. I am not surprised he has taken the next developmentally. Always was a monster, not flashy but got the job done. Perfect Ranger/Torts player.

You mention Klassen playing well consistently, is he a top-4 AHL d-man right now? How is his footwork? How does he handle smaller speedy forwards?

On Yogan, you say he has turned it around, I found that in juniors, he was at his best when he was driving to the net hard (ala Nash) with the puck. Has that part transitioned to the pros or was that mainly because of his size in juniors?

Thoughts on Haley or Mashinter being called up? Who would you choose?

Old
02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
SnowblindNYR

Beacon- 2 questions.

1) Do you think we might see Thomas with the Rangers at some point this year? We can use a good shot. We have only one player who has a sniper's shot on the team (Gabby).

2) If say we trade MDZ for O'Reilly and call up McIlrath for the bottom pairing. Defensively how big of a hit do you foresee us taking, if at all?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
The forwards aren't bad on this team. The issue is more on defense. If we could have someone like Eminger replace Collins, it would be great.

The lines should be different than what you listed.

Mash - Newbury - Segal
Hrivik - Palmieri - Ferriero
Haley - Tessier - Thomas
Yogan - Jean - Bourque

This is a strong group of forwards. The problem was defense, but with Vernace going hot, Pyett playing competently, Parlett and Klassen already being good and McIlrath making huge strides, even the defense is ok now.
I don't watch CT games, wish I did........but on paper they have some good call up options........to start the yr Newbury, Segal, Haley atleast had NHL experience.......Sather has done a great job adding better options in Mashinter, Ferrerio, Palmieri.............Thomas, Hrvik were always on the prospect radar while Yogan, Bourque, Jean were as well on a lesser level ..............add Fast, Lindberg once there years are done overseas(from what I read that is going to happen) and that is some good F depth

D maybe a different story BUT it is sounding like McIlrath can compete for that 6th D spot next yr.........Sauer unfortunately is not qualified and if he plays its on a two way deal to try and get back............Eminger and Gilroy are UFAs so could be both one although Gilroy is doing pretty good which is shocking to me

NYR , Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, Del Zotto , Stralman, McIlrath and the goon Bickel

Skjei will be in CT next yr no? Maybe end of this yr?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Hopefully McIlrath will be ready for next season. He missed 5 months with the knee. Surgery in July. Played in December. Can he be ready later this season? His best buddy is Travis Hamonic. They played at Moose Jaw. Work together in the summer. The Rangers will be very happy if McIlrath turns out like Hamonic. I was looking at some scouting reports on McIlrath. Top 4 D if the offense never comes. Top 2 if the offense comes. Top 4 it is. Still a right handed top 4 D is gold in the NHL.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Hopefully McIlrath will be ready for next season. He missed 5 months with the knee. Surgery in July. Played in December. Can he be ready later this season? His best buddy is Travis Hamonic. They played at Moose Jaw. Work together in the summer. The Rangers will be very happy if McIlrath turns out like Hamonic. I was looking at some scouting reports on McIlrath. Top 4 D if the offense never comes. Top 2 if the offense comes. Top 4 it is. Still a right handed top 4 D is gold in the NHL.
Unless the idea is that his defense will never be good enough to make up his offensive efficiency I don't understand why he HAS to develop his offense to be a top pairing guy. McDonagh isn't exactly Bobby Orr.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:53 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I don't watch CT games, wish I did........but on paper they have some good call up options........to start the yr Newbury, Segal, Haley atleast had NHL experience.......Sather has done a great job adding better options in Mashinter, Ferrerio, Palmieri.............Thomas, Hrvik were always on the prospect radar while Yogan, Bourque, Jean were as well on a lesser level ..............add Fast, Lindberg once there years are done overseas(from what I read that is going to happen) and that is some good F depth

D maybe a different story BUT it is sounding like McIlrath can compete for that 6th D spot next yr.........Sauer unfortunately is not qualified and if he plays its on a two way deal to try and get back............Eminger and Gilroy are UFAs so could be both one although Gilroy is doing pretty good which is shocking to me

NYR , Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, Del Zotto , Stralman, McIlrath and the goon Bickel

Skjei will be in CT next yr no? Maybe end of this yr?
Would think all three of Skjei, Nieves and Fogarty will all be in the NCAA again next year. Maybe 1 year longer after that for Nieves. Most likely even longer for Fogarty. No?

Players Myles Bell, Sustr and somebody else (unpolished diamond in the rough) would be welcome ovearge additions next year on the D. We will have some roster spots for these kind of signings as we only had 4 picks last year and 2 of those are in college and 2 in Europe. Will see what is left in the cupboard after the deadline this year first though

Old
02-18-2013, 10:01 AM
NYR Viper

The lack of "flashiness" in McIlrath's game is what make people sour on him. Fortunately the team understands that DEFENSE is a DEFENSEman's #1 job. The guy will be a stalwart on the Rangers team moving forward. He will be a fan favorite and a serious presence on this team.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:06 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
The lack of "flashiness" in McIlrath's game is what make people sour on him. Fortunately the team understands that DEFENSE is a DEFENSEman's #1 job. The guy will be a stalwart on the Rangers team moving forward. He will be a fan favorite and a serious presence on this team.
Girardi is one of the most unflashy players in the NHL. McDonagh has ridiculous skating. Staal actually "looks" pretty good on his rushes (too bad he misses the net by 5 feet every time he shoots). Girardi meanwhile plays a gritty no frills game.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarkko Immonen View Post
I really don't see him take many of those types of shots in game. I think he could certainly develop it at some point in his career though. I am fully impressed with his play this year though.
What are you seeing?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
He was just terrific tonight. Not only can he play defense, he's like a textbook on defense. He sees the ice really well too, so his passes on defense are stick to stick. When two years from now we'll be debating who's our best defenseman, Staal, McDonagh or McIlrath, a lot of Undertaker-haters here will be looking really stupid.

The progress he's shown in a month is just phenomenal. If he keeps this up, he'll be in the NHL soon.

If you watched today's game without knowing who's playing and you were asked who's the #10 overall pick on the ice, you'd point out McIlrath. The team is allowing him to acclimate to the pros right now, but he should be in the NHL real soon if he doesn't regress.
Thanks for the updates my man, I haven't seen much of the whale since the lockout ended. Have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

- Have they found a steady partner for McIlrath in Vernace?

- How much PK time is he getting? How has he looked?

- How is he taking guys out along the boards? Hip checks? Clean shoulder hits? Is he still getting his elbows up? Has he landed a submarine special on any one yet?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:30 AM
NickyFotiu

There is a Dylan hater on another board that makes me shake my head. He has told everyone that will listen that Dylan is just a big who fights. He repeatedly has told people that Dylan can not skate and is too slow for the NHL. He makes it really clear that he has never watched the kid play every time he calls him slow.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
You mention Klassen playing well consistently, is he a top-4 AHL d-man right now? How is his footwork? How does he handle smaller speedy forwards?
His original scouting report said that he can't skate to save a life, which was true when he was sent down to the ECHL. For that reason, I've paid a special attention to his skating and can tell you that the scouting reports are outdated. It is no longer true. He's a competent skater for a defensive defenseman.

Klassen is easily a top-4 AHL defenseman. He's been by far the best defensive defenseman for the Whale this year, except for McIlrath in the last few weeks. But until then, I would only feel comfortable with our defense when Klassen was on the ice because he was the only one helpful to the goalie. Early in the season, I'd watch someone make a good defensive play and think, "wait, who's this?" ... and the answer consistently turn out to be Klassen.

He's like the Sauer of the AHL - consistently good and smart on defense.

Quote:
On Yogan, you say he has turned it around, I found that in juniors, he was at his best when he was driving to the net hard (ala Nash) with the puck. Has that part transitioned to the pros or was that mainly because of his size in juniors?
Yes, that's exactly what happened. He has a hell of a set of wheels, especially for a 6-foot-3 guy. When he uses his size and speed to drive to the net, it will get you up off your seat. That's an exciting moment in the game every time.

Quote:
Thoughts on Haley or Mashinter being called up? Who would you choose?
Neither will be a difference maker at the NHL level. They are borderliners.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Even though he doesn't have many points, the Rangers are actually working on his offense. It's clear that he was told to pinch in and based on his improvement in this sphere, it's clear that they work on it in practice. He also is encouraged to take the puck deep and to shoot. I think Staal-like production of 20-25 points per season is not an unreasonable expectation for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
There is a Dylan hater on another board that makes me shake my head. He has told everyone that will listen that Dylan is just a big who fights. He repeatedly has told people that Dylan can not skate and is too slow for the NHL. He makes it really clear that he has never watched the kid play every time he calls him slow.
Utter BS. His north-south speed is better than your average NHL defenseman of merely average size. His balance is getting much, much better. He's one of the best skating 6-foot-5 defensemen I've seen in over a quarter century of watching hockey.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
McIlrath has looked very good when I've seen him. I've been impressed at how well he moves around. That OT win the other night, he even lead a rush up ice late in the game. His gap control is much better than it was a year ago, and you can tell he's really beginning to understand the nuances of the position.

Parlett has been much better lately as well. I think he'll become a decent depth defenseman at the NHL level for someone.

Mashinter, as Beacon said, is no difference maker. However his game fits our organizational identity, and he'll be a nice plug for us I think. He seemed to stagnate developmentally with San Jose, from what I read, but he looks re-energized with Hartford.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
His original scouting report said that he can't skate to save a life, which was true when he was sent down to the ECHL. For that reason, I've paid a special attention to his skating and can tell you that the scouting reports are outdated. It is no longer true. He's a competent skater for a defensive defenseman.

Klassen is easily a top-4 AHL defenseman. He's been by far the best defensive defenseman for the Whale this year, except for McIlrath in the last few weeks. But until then, I would only feel comfortable with our defense when Klassen was on the ice because he was the only one helpful to the goalie. Early in the season, I'd watch someone make a good defensive play and think, "wait, who's this?" ... and the answer consistently turn out to be Klassen.

He's like the Sauer of the AHL - consistently good and smart on defense.

Yes, that's exactly what happened. He has a hell of a set of wheels, especially for a 6-foot-3 guy. When he uses his size and speed to drive to the net, it will get you up off your seat. That's an exciting moment in the game every time.

Neither will be a difference maker at the NHL level. They are borderliners.
Thank you very much. Great to hear Yogan's play has picked up.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Thanks for the updates my man, I haven't seen much of the whale since the lockout ended. Have a few questions for you if you don't mind.

- Have they found a steady partner for McIlrath in Vernace?
This isn't a bad pairing because Vernace is good offensively and McIlrath is good defensively. Kind of like Leetch-Beukeboom. But Vernace got injured last game.

Vernace needs a quality defensive guy to cover for him as he's taking chances offensively. He can't be paired with Collins, who should be in the ECHL. That pairing, which Kenny G insisted on using for over half a season, is a disaster. Since moving away Vernace from Collins, his game has turned around.

Quote:
- How much PK time is he getting? How has he looked?
He's on our first PK team. You have a guy who's big, fast and smart, so why wouldn't he be on the PK?

Quote:
- How is he taking guys out along the boards? Hip checks? Clean shoulder hits? Is he still getting his elbows up? Has he landed a submarine special on any one yet?
I don't remember many hip checks because usually smaller, chippier guys do that (think Kasparaitis, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson - all of them 5-11 to 6-1), but his body checks are great. He finishes the checks instead of just shoving the opponent, then quickly gets back in position. It's clear that as soon as he hits a guy, he thinks about making sure he goalie gets help.

Honestly, I am having a hard time pointing to a flaw on defense by McIlrath in the last couple of weeks. He's just been dominant defensively. If he played yesterday in the NHL the same way he did in Hartford, there would be a mass celebration on this forum.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
This isn't a bad pairing because Vernace is good offensively and McIlrath is good defensively. Kind of like Leetch-Beukeboom. But Vernace got injured last game.

Vernace needs a quality defensive guy to cover for him as he's taking chances offensively. He can't be paired with Collins, who should be in the ECHL. That pairing, which Kenny G insisted on using for over half a season, is a disaster. Since moving away Vernace from Collins, his game has turned around.

He's on our first PK team. You have a guy who's big, fast and smart, so why wouldn't he be on the PK?

I don't remember many hip checks because usually smaller, chippier guys do that (think Kasparaitis, Tikkanen, Ulf Samuelsson - all of them 5-11 to 6-1), but his body checks are great. He finishes the checks instead of just shoving the opponent, then quickly gets back in position. It's clear that as soon as he hits a guy, he thinks about making sure he goalie gets help.

Honestly, I am having a hard time pointing to a flaw on defense by McIlrath in the last couple of weeks. He's just been dominant defensively. If he played yesterday in the NHL the same way he did in Hartford, there would be a mass celebration on this forum.
Where's BlueNote? He wanted some opinions from people who watch McIlrath play.

This is all great to hear. He looked good 2 years ago in Training Camp due to the same things. Smart player. Love to hear he is getting close.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Beacon, do you think that McIlrath will be ready for some NHL action this season? Even if it's just a brief call up?

Old
02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Beacon- 2 questions.

1) Do you think we might see Thomas with the Rangers at some point this year? We can use a good shot. We have only one player who has a sniper's shot on the team (Gabby).
I doubt it, but if he keeps improving, he might. He was really awful the first half a season. A lot of effort for no result. Then he was benched and I assume he was told that he's not Kovalev (stickhandler) and he's not Tkachuk (power forward), he's should use his speed and shooting. Suddenly he was firing away from everywhere and producing results. His blue line shot on the PP (he plays the point) is a real threat.

I actually think he could be another Hagelin, but with a better shot. The only problem is that being a couple inches shorter is kind of a problem for him. Everyone thinks he can only be a top-6 NHLer, but he could also be a spark plug if he uses his speed and shiftiness the right way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
2) If say we trade MDZ for O'Reilly and call up McIlrath for the bottom pairing. Defensively how big of a hit do you foresee us taking, if at all?
McIlrath is at least as good as MDZ on defense. Obviously, he's not in the same stratosphere offensively, but I am not sure how he's worse defensively. I guess he's a rookie and might panic in times when a vet would be cool, but I haven't seen that in the AHL. I don't think having McIlrath instead of MDZ makes us worse defensively.

That said, keep MDZ!

Old
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

Beacon, you probably missed, any chance you can answer my 2 questions? Here they are, thanks:

Quote:
Beacon- 2 questions.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:53 PM
SnowblindNYR

Whoops and you answered them right before I made my post.

Closed Thread