HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Just how good exactly is Gallagher going to be?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 01:39 AM
  #76
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE
Registered User
 
LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 119
vCash: 500
Honey badger

LARGECAT DAMPHOUSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:06 AM
  #77
Alexdaman
Registered User
 
Alexdaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,219
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
****ing honey badger
I hope it won't play against him, he can't jeopardize his career at the stage he currently is, and he can't start playing scared.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:42 AM
  #78
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
Seriously.

He doesn't have any more of a chance of having a wrecked career than any other player.
Yes he does. His size is a disadvantage, as relative as it may be. It's why the list isn't that extensive when brainstorming the smallest guys to go on to long, productive careers. Not a lot to choose from after Fleury/Ronning, and then Gionta/St.Louis. We'll have to see how long guys like Marchand and Gerbe last, as two "full" seasons each so far doesn't quite prove/disprove anything yet.

But perhaps more to the point, while I understand that the "jury is out" somewhat on detailed susceptibility studies re: concussions/subsequent concussions, I hear the phrase "recurring concussion-like symptoms" (not in Gally's case in particular, of course) and understand that they're not something you just dust off and forget about. While players sustain concussions "all the time", the players that miss extended time because of them always seem affected somehow - even those as good as Crosby.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:22 AM
  #79
IceDaddy
24 and Counting
 
IceDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,853
vCash: 500
BGally is the smallest power forward in the history of the league. He is always hitting and hard on the forcheck and always goes hard to the net.


His size is a concern about injuries though....

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
  #80
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
I hope it won't play against him, he can't jeopardize his career at the stage he currently is, and he can't start playing scared.
Gallagher doesn't know how to play scared. This isn't his first concussion and there's no such thing as a time where Gallagher played with less fear. He's going to be the same player his entire career.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:35 PM
  #81
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
He can and he's 19 years old.

He did the best of our 4 fights we had in that game and was the most mismatched opponent.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:39 PM
  #82
zzoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,106
vCash: 500
Is it possible that Gallagher becomes as good as Skinner ? Or I dream in color ?

zzoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:45 PM
  #83
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Is it possible that Gallagher becomes as good as Skinner ? Or I dream in color ?
I think it's absolutely possible. Give it some time before you make the comparison though.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:54 PM
  #84
cphabs
It complels you!
 
cphabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: WNY
Country: United States
Posts: 733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He did the best of our 4 fights we had in that game and was the most mismatched opponent.
#51 looked really concerned until he was touched by an apposing team member.

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:05 PM
  #85
bib
#believe
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Don't know why, but can totally see him going to Toronto.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:10 PM
  #86
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Yes he does. His size is a disadvantage, as relative as it may be. It's why the list isn't that extensive when brainstorming the smallest guys to go on to long, productive careers. Not a lot to choose from after Fleury/Ronning, and then Gionta/St.Louis. We'll have to see how long guys like Marchand and Gerbe last, as two "full" seasons each so far doesn't quite prove/disprove anything yet.

But perhaps more to the point, while I understand that the "jury is out" somewhat on detailed susceptibility studies re: concussions/subsequent concussions, I hear the phrase "recurring concussion-like symptoms" (not in Gally's case in particular, of course) and understand that they're not something you just dust off and forget about. While players sustain concussions "all the time", the players that miss extended time because of them always seem affected somehow - even those as good as Crosby.
This a tough one to analyze. You could argue that the very small players
that are successful at the junior level, have already internalized better than
average self-protection techniques. Whether these techniques translate to
the NHL might be very individual. So with a small sample size, and more
specialized adaptions, it's difficult to reach any useful conclusion.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:13 PM
  #87
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Gallagher doesn't know how to play scared. This isn't his first concussion and there's no such thing as a time where Gallagher played with less fear. He's going to be the same player his entire career.
,,, And his carreer could be short, then...

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:14 PM
  #88
Milhouse40
Registered User
 
Milhouse40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,961
vCash: 500
Gallagher is the same size as Cammy or St-Louis.
Good sniper, great speed.

If we give this guy great linesmates with some size and playmaking skills down the middle, this kid could become a great player in the NHL....but have to stay healthy.

Still....what a steal from Timmins in 2010 5th round. More than 10 first round pick that year have yet to make it to the NHL. Gotta love it!

Milhouse40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
  #89
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Don't know why, but can totally see him going to Toronto.
Yea no chance of that happening. Bergevin isn't an idiot.

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  #90
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Now that must have been awkward to read. What I mean is that players
that are bigger that average in junior, may be more vulnerable to injuries at
the pro level. Both Lindros brothers, and Keith Primeau had major concussion
issues. Pronger as well. Players that are big and good in junior, but neither
stronger than average, or better than average, at the NHL level would then
be the most vulnerable group. Maybe someone like Benoit Poulliot is an
example of that sort of player, although I'm not commenting on his injury
history. It's obviously not specific to any one player.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:26 PM
  #91
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
His ability to find the open spots will always makes him a dangerous scorer. But his inability to protect himself adequately will make him dangerous to his own health...and I'm not ONLY saying this 'cause he got injured. He needs to realize that in this league, they won't give you any chance and they are faster at getting you if needed.
this is so true. His puck reception/control is phenomenal ... he can dangle in traffic while being so calm. His goal against the jets (jan 29th) was great I thought he waited to gain some ground on the D that probably played it too passive ... but he took advantage of it ... they left him some space, he took it all before getting a quality shot with a screen. You can certainly see how intelligent and clever he is ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJbNQkAFmYA

his goal against philly is another good example ... it took him a split second to set himself up for a shot using the D as screen and fire... there was no space for that play. I felt he made space for himself trying to sell that he was going to follow the boards ... it gave him 0.5 sec with the puck ... it seems like it was more than enough. great thinking, great play ..


THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  #92
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
Gallagher is the same size as Cammy or St-Louis.
Good sniper, great speed.

If we give this guy great linesmates with some size and playmaking skills down the middle, this kid could become a great player in the NHL....but have to stay healthy.

Still....what a steal from Timmins in 2010 5th round. More than 10 first round pick that year have yet to make it to the NHL. Gotta love it!
This draft could be what puts us over the top and could be on par with '07 or better...

Tinordi, MacMillan, Ellis, Bournival, Holland all have a good **** at the NHL and Gallagher is already making good contribution on the big team

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  #93
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
His ability to find the open spots will always makes him a dangerous scorer. But his inability to protect himself adequately will make him dangerous to his own health...and I'm not ONLY saying this 'cause he got injured. He needs to realize that in this league, they won't give you any chance and they are faster at getting you if needed.
All too true.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
  #94
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
,,, And his carreer could be short, then...
Sure it could. You could baby him and watch him become a third liner for the rest of his career because he plays it safe or you can watch him excel and have a Theo Fleury kind of career playing the game the way he plays it best. I know which result I'd want (No Theo jokes please).

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:59 PM
  #95
Canadian_Brewtality
Registered User
 
Canadian_Brewtality's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,811
vCash: 500
here we go

the fanboy in all of us love him, but relax. Some of you get so worked up.

A guy cant just be playing well, we need to compare & start expected him to reach certain levels.

Canadian_Brewtality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:03 PM
  #96
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
here we go

the fanboy in all of us love him, but relax. Some of you get so worked up.

A guy cant just be playing well, we need to compare & start expected him to reach certain levels.
He reminds me of Fleury, but not as fast. Fearlessness in the corners is a trait you're born with. You can't teach it.

He'll be top six in Montreal scoring 20-30 for sure. Concussions or not.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
  #97
hogtownhabsfan*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,727
vCash: 500
Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher

^Future first line.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
  #98
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
here we go

the fanboy in all of us love him, but relax. Some of you get so worked up.

A guy cant just be playing well, we need to compare & start expected him to reach certain levels.
Maybe people just enjoy being fans. That, after all, is why they're here.
No need for you to get annoyed about it.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:36 AM
  #99
Athlétique_Canadien
Registered User
 
Athlétique_Canadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,542
vCash: 500
Habs forwards blocked shot leaders: Prust 9, Eller 8, Moen 8, Desharnais 7, Galchenyuk 6 & Gallagher 5

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:40 AM
  #100
bdawg1989*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
I love Gallagher. Nice swag and keeps scoring and trolling the other teams.

I seriously hope his career isn't plagued by concussions and that he remains the player he was (doesn't play scared when he comes back).

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.