HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Sat, Feb 16, 2013 | Senators at Maple Leafs | 7:00pm EST | CBC | Cripple Fight! Ed.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:25 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
So you were ok with Benoit missing the net on a 3 on 1?
That was the game killer for me.

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:32 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
games replaying here

http://nutjob.eu/njtvx2.html

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Silf had plenty more opportunity with Spezza before he got hurt than Greening & Greening still has more pts than him. Just saying.
I am aware points are obviously important, but to judge a rookie's performance on production alone isn't a fair measure of him as a player.

IMO Sens fans need to reel in their expectations just a little for the new guys, specially guys like Silf and Zib who have very little experience on the small ice let alone the NHL.

As well young guys take time to develop consistency, learn how to manage the travel schedule, the increase in the number of games played and this year a compressed schedule.

Add to this the effect the injuries have had on the lineup which has resulted in little chemistry being established, I'm not surprised the offence has gone completely south.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Gonchar and Benoit aren't that good. I'm not denying that. Phillips just sucks even more. Lundin has like 2 games under his belt? He has been stronger than Phillips anyway.
Now your bias is definitely showing, Lundin isn't even a close 3rd to Phillips.

Lundin at best is a #6 D, has played 5 games, 80:55 TOI. Playing on the 2nd pairing one might expect him to have some PK responsibility, yet in those 81 minutes he has seen 2:26 of PK time.

Phillips who you claim is the worst D, has played 291:26 in 15 games and is leading the team in PK time with 57:55.

So why is MacLean playing his worst D the most on the PK, when he has 5 or 6 D better?? What the h*** is MacLean thinking?

Well maybe he knows a few things you haven't figured out and that is why the Sens PK is 2nd in the NHL.

Like it or not, Phillips is the second best defender on the Sens D, while you might disagree, MacLean is saying otherwise.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
burf

According to this, Gonchar was on the ice for 9 of the 10 scoring chances the Leafs had this game, and only 1 ES scoring chance for the Sens (though to be fair he was on for 3 PP scoring chances for the Sens).

Meanwhile, Phillips was on for 5 Sens chances for at ES, and the only chance against that he was on for was on the PK.

Why is everyone getting on Phillips' back after this game again?

burf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 11:39 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
one player I've been really impressed with is Benoit.
He's been ok for his role. Very good in spurts and very bad in others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post
According to this, Gonchar was on the ice for 9 of the 10 scoring chances the Leafs had this game, and only 1 ES scoring chance for the Sens (though to be fair he was on for 3 PP scoring chances for the Sens).

Meanwhile, Phillips was on for 5 Sens chances for at ES, and the only chance against that he was on for was on the PK.

Not just this game.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:39 AM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by burf View Post

Because Phillips is a scapegoat.

02-18-2013, 06:05 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

It's hard to fault the D too much in a game where they score two goals on two bounces and every quality scoring chance that Ottawa has misses the net or hits Scrivens in the chest.

Yes, Benoit missed a beauty, but the fact that our forwards are so inept is problematic.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
THIS

Some here think all our prospects will be superstars dont ever mention Murray must make a deal lol...Silf hasnt been impressive but to some here hes a top 6...Is the potential there? of course but who knows..

Losing doesnt help the development of young players..Murray has to act NOW..Some here willput words in my mouth and say we dont need a quick fix or trade youth for this year i agree...But guys like ROR and PERRY and WEISS can be a fixture for many years..I understand Perry and Wiess are UFA wouldnt make a deal unless they are signed...

If you dont make a bold move trading a couple of prospects then what?

Gonchar is gone Philly and Alfie are aging.

Will silf be a top 6 next year?

Whats Zibby's offensive potential?

alot of question marks.

But wait its the second year of a rebuild...fack i hate when people say that..

Zibby
Lehner
Bishop
Noesen
Silf
Ceci
1st
puemple
Wier
Gryba

and others we have a great prospect pool...But wont be room for all we need to deal a couple for a proven player like ROR for NEXT YEAR...
Like most people on this board, I realize it's useless to spend time with you but what is it that you don't understand?

Do you really want to give Zibanejad + Greening + 1st to acquire Perry and watch him sign this summer with a team that is not afraid of spending?

Don't you realize how stupid it is for a rebuilding team to acquire UFA stars just to be out of the playoffs anyway?

Yes Murray could trade Zibanejad, our next 2 first round picks, Stone, Noesen, Lehner, Puempel... and salvage this season... but unless it's the end of the world in 2013, can you please give me 1 ****ing reason?

No problem if we acquire 1 or 2 UFAs to be for cheap but not those with a high price tag. You have no idea how madly Murray would get bashed if he traded for Perry, even if we sign him to an extension. People will say "could have waited this summer and sign him for free! Fire Murray"

I have been around long enough, I know exactly how HF works.

As for acquire RoR, yes why not? But depends on the price tag. When we got Turris, people wanted to lynch Bryan Murray, as he "overpaid" for the young center... O'Reilly is going to cost even more than Rundblad + 2nd, most likely Silfverberg + 1st, but I wouldn't give more than Silfverberg + Greening. I hope Murray agrees

Conclusion : I'm all for acquiring young rising stars, but it's not like other teams are dying for trading them in a quality for quantity deal

Wake up to reality

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post
The main point for discussion, again, is that it seems no matter where we put him now, he's at risk of getting shelled, and has been getting shelled with Bingo now, and his confidence is at risk. The question, then, is what's worse for confidence: to get shelled in the minors or to get shelled with the big club?

Contract talk aside, I worry what happens mentally if we leave him out to dry in the minors while all his teammates get a shot.
Again, it doesn't matter : our NHL goalies are healthy. Based on contracts/age/situation, Lehner is our 3rd goalie for now. Don't worry it will change fast enough

(I'm saying this as a HUGE Lehner fan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlsson95 View Post
New to the HF boards, huge sens fan. Just wondering why we would play Benoit over Wiercioch? In my opinion Benoit will either be gone next year or down in Binghamton and Wiercioch will be competing for a spot up here.
Me too, I'm not sure... Benoit plays decent but the point this season considering the situation is to develop our young players and Wiercioch could be an important part of the team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
I agree with someone who said it's an audition year. It is. Last night I was happy to see effort, the finish will come with time, maybe not this year, but it will. They fared just fine considering.

It's a shortened season, who cares. I can't wait to see this team with no injuries and the young kids with experience.
We were supposed to fight for the playoffs but with our 2 best D-men (and the best in the world) and 2 best forwards out long term, it's likely impossible. No team has what it takes to cover those losses.

Like you said, it's a shortened season and we're kinda lucky it didn't happen in a full season. Maybe a blessing in disguise as we might get a very important future player at the next draft.

So giving the context, might as well use this season to see where our prospects are in their development : auditions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden View Post
That's why I sometimes think that few fans have it harder than Sens fans. When your national media thinks it's their life's mission to take potshots at your team when they're down and undermine any success they may have, it doesn't surprise me that our fanbase is still as small as it is.
... and are also naysayers, give up so easily at the first sign of adversity and overeact so much, bipolar too. Basically, we have some kind of inferiority complex

What is the cure? A Stanley Cup I guess (or a ton more insight IMO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
My only beef is with Phillips missing the net on that slapper late in the game. That's the ONLY thing he can't do in that situation.
Impossible for Phillips to score as we were going to lose this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscBrah View Post
Come on it's not fair really judge his play so far this season. He's playing with scrubs in the best league in the world. Put him with a healthy Spezza and MM and he'd have 10-15 points so far. Remember how good Spezza made Greening look at the beginning of last season? You really think Silf couldn't outperform him?
No way he would have 10-15 points now... Means he would have been PPG if Spezza played the last 10 games.

Quote:
Add to this the effect the injuries have had on the lineup which has resulted in little chemistry being established, I'm not surprised the offence has gone completely south.
This... just too much instability in the lineup and so little NHL experience for this team to be productive offensively. It will get a bit better as the season progress but IMO, remove Spezza and you lose 0.5 goals per game oer a long span, same with Karlsson

So we went from a 3.0 goals per game to a 2.0 goals per game team.

Note : It also depends on how many games Michalek, Regin and Latendresse miss.

Interesting :

Sens outchanced other teams 200-184 in the first 12 games

http://www.the6thsens.com/2013-artic...tals-12gp.html

Some people seem to think we might have been dominated in the the following games, well think again

Outside of health, what we lack right now is puck luck and finishing. Stop hitting posts and missing open nets dudes.

Quote:
Now your bias is definitely showing, Lundin isn't even a close 3rd to Phillips.

Lundin at best is a #6 D, has played 5 games, 80:55 TOI. Playing on the 2nd pairing one might expect him to have some PK responsibility, yet in those 81 minutes he has seen 2:26 of PK time.

Phillips who you claim is the worst D, has played 291:26 in 15 games and is leading the team in PK time with 57:55.

So why is MacLean playing his worst D the most on the PK, when he has 5 or 6 D better?? What the h*** is MacLean thinking?

Well maybe he knows a few things you haven't figured out and that is why the Sens PK is 2nd in the NHL.

Like it or not, Phillips is the second best defender on the Sens D, while you might disagree, MacLean is saying otherwise.
Ouch, this post is hard to take for Phillips bashers...

But of course, it will be ignored as most people rather live in ignorance than face the reality.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 02-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Again, it doesn't matter : our NHL goalies are healthy. Based on contracts/age/situation, Lehner is our 3rd goalie for now. Don't worry it will change fast enough

(I'm saying this as a HUGE Lehner fan)

That's fair enough -- I know there are plenty of folks that follow Lehner more closely than I do, so I'll take it!

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:55 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

We need to suck it up & quit whining about what has happended to this team & start cheering for what we do have. The prospects are getting an opportunity to play, to show what they can do & they are doing well. These are all low scoring games & both Anderson & Bishop are keeping us in the games. The bounces will eventually go our way, it's just a matter of time.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote