HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Sager
U talkin to me punk?

vCash: 500
First of all Jacket fans, what the hell is Letestube doing on your first line?

Anyways, I like to do some thinking from time to time about GM moves I would do for other teams. Your team is obviously the hardest to contemplate, but I've been thinking about a possible scenario and am wondering what you think about it.

Saying you end up with MacKinnon in the draft, would you also consider acquiring MacKinnon's linemate Drouin by trading your other two 1st rounders + others in order to move up? Assuming that NYR and LA end up somewhere around 14-20, I don't think that it would be impossible to imagine such a trade, especially if Drouin's stock falls to around 4th-6th overall. You might have to add a little more to entice the other team, but I think that with perhaps some deadline moves you could have a few more trading pieces to work with. Such a move would definitely give you a top-six to contend with in a few years with something like:
Drouin-MacKinnnon-XXX
Anisimov-Brassard-Dubinsky

Of course you could also just pick Jones and make all of this irrelevant. No doubt though it seems that the future of your fanchise is riding on the success of these upcoming draft picks. I wish you the best of luck with em.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:57 PM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sager View Post

Anyways, I like to do some thinking from time to time about GM moves I would do for other teams. Your team is obviously the hardest to contemplate, but I've been thinking about a possible scenario and am wondering what you think about it.

Saying you end up with MacKinnon in the draft, would you also consider acquiring MacKinnon's linemate Drouin by trading your other two 1st rounders + others in order to move up? Assuming that NYR and LA end up somewhere around 14-20, I don't think that it would be impossible to imagine such a trade, especially if Drouin's stock falls to around 4th-6th overall. You might have to add a little more to entice the other team, but I think that with perhaps some deadline moves you could have a few more trading pieces to work with. Such a move would definitely give you a top-six to contend with in a few years with something like:
Drouin-MacKinnnon-XXX

Of course you could also just pick Jones and make all of this irrelevant. No doubt though it seems that the future of your fanchise is riding on the success of these upcoming draft picks. I wish you the best of luck with em.
Letestu has been great, thats why he's on the first line. I wouldn't trade LA+NYR first to move up because at this rate the LA First is pretty high.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:11 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Dorset couldn't hack it so we had to move someone up there. Kind of goes a long way to understanding why we are 30th.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
We HAVE a first line?!?

Old
02-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
More like 4 third lines.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
More like 4 third lines.
On the positive side, tho, they're pretty badass third lines.

...that said, they're still (mostly) third lines.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Byrral

If there is one, I think the Jones vs MacKinnon debate is going to come down what the CBJ do with the trade deadline and what this team is going to look like after April 3rd.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

it would be great if we didn't have to debate...just get them both...

or even better LA and CBJ finish 29/30...Rangers JUST miss the playoffs and win the lottery

Old
02-18-2013, 12:29 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:

Drouin-MacKinnnon-XXX

No, I wouldn't make that trade. I also wouldn't have Brassard and Dubinsky on the 2nd line.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:49 AM
EspenK

Quote:

Drouin-MacKinnnon-XXX

If we could package the second two picks, assuming they are in the range you suggest (or worse) for a top 5 or 6 pick I'd probably do it assuming there is a player we really covet. It wouldn't necessarily have to be Drouin. If we picked Jones, I think it would be even more attractive to make the deal you suggest to obtain one of Monahan/Barkov/Lindhom/Drouin.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

There will be no changes to NHL draft lottery odds, for this year anyway. Only difference is team that wins lottery gets No. 1 overall pick.

In the past, lottery winner could move up only four slots. There was thought to changing odds - may happen in future but won't be this year.

Only non-playoff teams have shot at winning lottery and getting 1st overall pick. Odds of winning as follows: 30th place, 25 per cent...

29th,18.8; 28th, 14.2; 27th, 10.7; 26th, 8.1; 25th, 6.2; 24th, 4.7; 23rd, 3.6; 22nd, 2.7; 21st, 2.1; 20th, 1.5; 19th,1.1, 18th, .8; 17th, .5

Great news for us.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:01 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Only non-playoff teams have shot at winning lottery and getting 1st overall pick. Odds of winning as follows:

30th place, 25 per cent; 29th,18.8; 28th, 14.2; 27th, 10.7; 26th, 8.1; 25th, 6.2; 24th, 4.7; 23rd, 3.6; 22nd, 2.7; 21st, 2.1; 20th, 1.5; 19th,1.1, 18th, .8; 17th, .5

Great news for us.
This year's lottery has a better chance of hurting us than last year's, but it does have an outside shot of being awesome. If we finish last again, we only have a 25% chance of retaining it vs. 48.2% chance last year. However, having LAK pick could be awesome if they win the draft and put us at #1 and #2 overall.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
This year's lottery has a better chance of hurting us than last year's, but it does have an outside shot of being awesome. If we finish last again, we only have a 25% chance of retaining it vs. 48.2% chance last year. However, having LAK pick could be awesome if they win the draft and put us at #1 and #2 overall.
Yes, I'm afraid I agree. The way we are playing, we will finish at the bottom and have our odds basically cut in half by this change. But, I am a fan of this change, if only because it removes some of the incentive to not finish near the playoff line.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:58 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post

There will be no changes to NHL draft lottery odds, for this year anyway. Only difference is team that wins lottery gets No. 1 overall pick.

In the past, lottery winner could move up only four slots. There was thought to changing odds - may happen in future but won't be this year.

Only non-playoff teams have shot at winning lottery and getting 1st overall pick. Odds of winning as follows: 30th place, 25 per cent...

29th,18.8; 28th, 14.2; 27th, 10.7; 26th, 8.1; 25th, 6.2; 24th, 4.7; 23rd, 3.6; 22nd, 2.7; 21st, 2.1; 20th, 1.5; 19th,1.1, 18th, .8; 17th, .5

Great news for us.
So we are going to a style similar to the nba? Basically, all the lottery picks are up for grabs between the non-playoff teams ..... ? The 12th team could get the 8th pick, the 9th team the 5th pick and so on. Correct?

Old
02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMask View Post
So we are going to a style similar to the nba? Basically, all the lottery picks are up for grabs between the non-playoff teams ..... ? The 12th team could get the 8th pick, the 9th team the 5th pick and so on. Correct?
No. The team that wins the lottery picks #1. All other teams remain in the same order they finished. If jackets finish 30th and say LA finishes 19th,(putting them in the 12 pick spot) but LA wins the lottery they (we) draft #1 and the jackets fall to 2. All other teams 2-11 fall one spot, 13-14 stay the same. Capiche?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:10 PM
OldGoaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
No. The team that wins the lottery picks #1. All other teams remain in the same order they finished. If jackets finish 30th and say LA finishes 19th,(putting them in the 12 pick spot) but LA wins the lottery they (we) draft #1 and the jackets fall to 2. All other teams 2-11 fall one spot, 13-14 stay the same. Capiche?
I like that. So if we finish with the worst record we could only fall back one spot.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:19 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoaltender View Post
I like that. So if we finish with the worst record we could only fall back one spot.
Just like last year

Old
02-18-2013, 03:24 PM
cslebn

Doesn't this just ensure EDM will win again?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:30 PM
MattTheMask
Cbus for life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Gotcha. So really, the only pick up for grabs is #1 because everything else goes in order. Thanks for the clarification

Old
02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
RDriesenUD

Are you sure that is the way it is? I haven't read that anywhere and I asked McKenzie on twitter and he never answered me.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Bobcat110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Are you sure that is the way it is? I haven't read that anywhere and I asked McKenzie on twitter and he never answered me.
Yes. The "odds" are the same as any other year. However, any team who won the lottery in previous years could only leap frog a maximum of 4 teams. So, the only teams in previous years who had a chance at #1 overall pick were the teams who finished bottom 5 in the league.

This year, all teams who fail to make the playoffs have a chance to jump to the #1 pick. Although highly unlikely, the team who finishes 17th in the league and doesn't make the playoffs has a 0.50% chance of winning lottery and jumping all the way up to #1 overall, then everyone else moves down 1 spot.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
Yes. The "odds" are the same as any other year. However, any team who won the lottery in previous years could only leap frog a maximum of 4 teams. So, the only teams in previous years who had a chance at #1 overall pick were the teams who finished bottom 5 in the league.

This year, all teams who fail to make the playoffs have a chance to jump to the #1 pick. Although highly unlikely, the team who finishes 17th in the league and doesn't make the playoffs has a 0.50% chance of winning lottery and jumping all the way up to #1 overall, then everyone else moves down 1 spot.
I understand that, but no one has said if the lottery is just for the first pick or for all lottery picks. That is what I am asking. I haven't read where someone specifically states it is one way or the other.

Last edited by RDriesenUD: 02-18-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Added to say that I meant all lottery picks.
Old
02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
I understand that, but no one has said if the lottery is just for the first pick or for all picks. That is what I am asking. I haven't read where someone specifically states it is one way or the other.
i think BobMac said it earlier today that its a lottery for the 1st pick...the rest of the order stays same...so if CBJ and LA end up at 30 and 29, the worst we pick is 2nd and 3rd

Old
02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
I understand that, but no one has said if the lottery is just for the first pick or for all picks. That is what I am asking. I haven't read where someone specifically states it is one way or the other.
Lottery is only for the first pick. Rounds 2-7 are in order of how the teams finished.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
jacketman10

Can't wait for the draft lottery. Are we gonna get screwed out of the number 1 pick? Are the Oilers gonna somehow win again and get first pick? What team is gonna be the lucky one?

The Avalanche won it two years ago(iirc). Went from seventh to third. I like the possibility of getting a double digit,the first overall pick.

Closed Thread