HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
http://therinkreport.blogspot.com/20...en-out-on.html

Here is a low-quality video, but you can see the hit (not the reaction). I expected to see a much worse hit or dirty play or something, but it doesn't look anything out of the ordinary. Wonder what caused it.
i couldn't see where the hit actually took place. was it at the like 3 second mark? if so it really didn't look like much but the quality is pretty bad so i can't say for certain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
A similar experience would be when Jiri Fischer's heart stopped on the bench for the Detroit Red Wings back in 2005. Game was postponed then as well.

This doesn't sound like it was as serious from a medical perspective, but definitely concerning.
thanks. i totally forgot about that.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
that is very good news.
That is good news. When I was a season ticket holder for the Firebirds back in the 70's. I saw a guy get hit and his head hit the ice. He swallowed his tongue went into a fetal position and started to go into convulsions. The trainers jumped on the ice and saved his life but I tell you that sight still sticks with me.

Old
02-17-2013, 05:54 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
That is good news. When I was a season ticket holder for the Firebirds back in the 70's. I saw a guy get hit and his head hit the ice. He swallowed his tongue went into a fetal position and started to go into convulsions. The trainers jumped on the ice and saved his life but I tell you that sight still sticks with me.
When I played soccer in HS, an opponent took a ball in the chest from close range and collapsed. Turned out he went into cardiac arrest. Ambulance arrived, revived him and took him to the hospital with the word being he'd be ok. Finished the game, then found out the next morning he had died. 17 years old, went to play a soccer game, and it's all over. Shook me up for quite a while.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Stolarz finished with 40 of 41 saves.

First Star of the Game.... as if there were doubt
Hope Stolarz gets the start tomorrow against Erie would be great if he took over as the #1 goalie.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:02 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Quote:
Murray said all reports as they left the building were "everything seems to be on path here (for MacLeod) to be real good here by tonight."
http://twitter.com/MCSaratogian

Old
02-17-2013, 06:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
im sure he will be out until they figured what caused the collapse.

hope everything checks out good with the kid.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Hope Stolarz gets the start tomorrow against Erie would be great if he took over as the #1 goalie.
The commentators suggested at the end of the game that he is taking over the job based upon performance, but we'll see if the coach feels the same way.

This is probably the first Flyers G prospect I've truly been excited about. Ridiculous size, world class athleticism for the position, and the best work ethic that multiple coaches have seen from a goalie... all things you cannot coach. That said, goaltending is the hardest NHL position to project. If we can see the kind of growth we've seen since the draft continue for the next 1-2 years, we'll be looking at the heir apparent.

Old
02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
That's good to hear that he's stepping up. I may be wrong, but wasn't it supposed to be him piggybacking one of the better teams in the CHL, meaning he wouldn't face this sort of challenge? Either way, I'm excited to see how he develops.
It wasn't that at all. The Hunters had wanted Stolarz for quite some time because they felt he was a goaltender who could carry them to win one Memorial Cup, maybe two. They loved his high end talent and they loved his compete factor. As I mentioned in a few other posts, Bill Dark, the London Knights goaltending coach, has called Stolarz the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever had to work with. His work ethic is off the chart and he's a workout and practice warrior who is first to arrive and last to leave.

I know Stolarz hasn't played as much as I was hoping he would play, but at the same time, he never had a training camp with the Knights and came in during the middle of the season and he's finally becoming acclimated with his teammates. I'm willing to bet that once the Knights hit the final stretch and then their playoff run, Stolarz will be the top dog.

Old
02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It wasn't that at all. The Hunters had wanted Stolarz for quite some time because they felt he was a goaltender who could carry them to win one Memorial Cup, maybe two. They loved his high end talent and they loved his compete factor. As I mentioned in a few other posts, Bill Dark, the London Knights goaltending coach, has called Stolarz the most athletically gifted goaltender he's ever had to work with. His work ethic is off the chart and he's a workout and practice warrior who is first to arrive and last to leave.

I know Stolarz hasn't played as much as I was hoping he would play, but at the same time, he never had a training camp with the Knights and came in during the middle of the season and he's finally becoming acclimated with his teammates. I'm willing to bet that once the Knights hit the final stretch and then their playoff run, Stolarz will be the top dog.
I really like your report on Stolarz and hope the young man continues to improve. Boy is he a big one to! Thanks

Old
02-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-the-ccha-wcha

1. Dan DeKeyser, Junior, Defense, Western Michigan
2. Andrej Sustr, Junior, Defense, Nebraska-Omaha
3. Nate Schmidt, Junior, Defense, Minnesota
4. Eriah Hayes, Senior, Forward, Minnesota State
5. Ryan Walters, Junior, Forward, Nebraska-Omaha
6. Shayne Taker, Junior, Defense, Notre Dame
7. Austin Czarnik, Sophomore, Forward, Miami
8. Alex Krushelnyski, Senior, Forward, Colorado College
9. Drew Leblanc, Senior, Forward, St. Cloud
10. Kellen Lain, Junior, Forward, Lake Superior
11. Rylan Schwartz, Senior, Forward, Colorado College
12. Kenney Morrison, Freshman, Defense, Western Michigan
13. Chris Casto, Sophomore, Defense, Minnesota-Duluth
14. Wade Epp, Junior, Defense, Northern Michigan
15. Mike Boivin,Senior, Defense, Colorado College

Any chance we pursue any of them with a good chance of signing some?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
FlyersFan61290

I think there's a good chance we pursue some of them (Flyers always do) but i don't think we'll actually land any. this is based on nothing mind you other then the fact that the flyers haven't been able to get several high(er) profile FA's in recent years.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Prongo
Beer

IF the Flyers continue to struggle, those NCAA free agents could see us as a better potential landing spot than contenders. We would be able to let them play and burn a year off their ELC. Which most agents would recommend their players to do haha. Also if they prove their worth, they will be with a team with a rich tradition of making the playoffs and contending.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:04 AM
FLYguy3911

JVR's brother is having a good year at UNH.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I think there's a good chance we pursue some of them (Flyers always do) but i don't think we'll actually land any. this is based on nothing mind you other then the fact that the flyers haven't been able to get several high(er) profile FA's in recent years.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Erik Gustafsson and Mike Testwuide were two of the top NCAA free agents when they were on the market. Same with Mangene and Holmstrom. In most cases, the free agents just look for the easiest route to get to the NHL and if you're a forward, Philadelphia is probably the last place you want to go because it's incredibly tough cracking the forwards.

The other issue is that the Flyers always seem to max out their contracts. This might be the year that they let a lot of guys walk in order to free up valuable contract space. When they do, players will come. Defensemen will probably be the priority and it won't surprise me if Sustr and DeKeyser are the targets.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:49 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say that. Erik Gustafsson and Mike Testwuide were two of the top NCAA free agents when they were on the market. Same with Mangene and Holmstrom. In most cases, the free agents just look for the easiest route to get to the NHL and if you're a forward, Philadelphia is probably the last place you want to go because it's incredibly tough cracking the forwards.

The other issue is that the Flyers always seem to max out their contracts. This might be the year that they let a lot of guys walk in order to free up valuable contract space. When they do, players will come. Defensemen will probably be the priority and it won't surprise me if Sustr and DeKeyser are the targets.
You might be right, but I think the only one with "high" want value was Testwuide who was listed as like #7 best FA. The other three were unknowns, BUT that doesnt mean anything. If anything the Flyers have done a very good job at scouting the FA market for college UFAs. Matt Read was an unknown to everyone. Gustafsson who I still think can be an NHL player, Im fairly confident he wasnt noticed by most teams. This is one section where I do have faith in the team based off of their results.

There are 9 spots opening up. They will most likely sign Holmstrom (injured this past season but undoubly the Phantoms captain), Lauridsen, Harper, and Wellwood. This leaves 5 spots which I think 2-3 will go after college FAs while the other 2 veteran AHL players.

EDIT: The one guy Id be interested in after Sustr and DeKeyser is Nate Schmidt. If what they saying is true that he is improving defensively, his offensive skillset as a defender is very good. Could use a project PP QB.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 12:08 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
There are 9 spots opening up. They will most likely sign Holmstrom (injured this past season but undoubly the Phantoms captain), Lauridsen, Harper, and Wellwood. This leaves 5 spots which I think 2-3 will go after college FAs while the other 2 veteran AHL players.
Suellentrop is still unsigned. I'm not as convinced as others that he will be signed. I guess it depends on who they get in the FA route.

Gostisbehere could be signed, but I'm less convinced than I was last month he will.

I imagine another goalie will be signed.

The Flyers have also liked to go the CHL overager route the last couple of years.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:39 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Suellentrop is still unsigned. I'm not as convinced as others that he will be signed. I guess it depends on who they get in the FA route.

Gostisbehere could be signed, but I'm less convinced than I was last month he will.

I imagine another goalie will be signed.

The Flyers have also liked to go the CHL overager route the last couple of years.
Ghost has still been very good by most accounts even though he isnt getting the points atm. Still plays a **** ton of minutes in all situations. Has a few really nice chances that he creates every game. Im of the belief though that he stays one more year.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ghost has still been very good by most accounts even though he isnt getting the points atm. Still plays a **** ton of minutes in all situations. Has a few really nice chances that he creates every game. Im of the belief though that he stays one more year.
Yeah, there's no rush to sign Ghost. He's got another two years of eligibility and I'm sure that the Flyers are not wanting to rush him. He's rather light and the goal will be adding some much needed muscle and weight to his frame.

As for Sullentrop, he'll be signed. DJ Smith was exactly the coach that Sullentrop needed to help him put his game together. Smith has also been a great influence on Scott Laughton and I'd imagine the Flyers would want Smith to work another year with Laughton as well.

I'm expecting that players like Testwuide, Lilja, Bordson, Laliberte, Harper, Brown, Eddy, Ford, Roe and Dimmen won't be back or they'll be signed to contracts with the Phantoms and won't count as contracts against the Flyers. So, that's 10 players right there. That doesn't include the guys in the ECHL and other junior players who probably won't be signed. So, there's contract spaces opening up. Hopefully Holmgren will be smart and manage the contract limit much better than he currently has.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:56 PM
RussianRocket10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-the-ccha-wcha

1. Dan DeKeyser, Junior, Defense, Western Michigan
2. Andrej Sustr, Junior, Defense, Nebraska-Omaha
3. Nate Schmidt, Junior, Defense, Minnesota
4. Eriah Hayes, Senior, Forward, Minnesota State
5. Ryan Walters, Junior, Forward, Nebraska-Omaha
6. Shayne Taker, Junior, Defense, Notre Dame
7. Austin Czarnik, Sophomore, Forward, Miami
8. Alex Krushelnyski, Senior, Forward, Colorado College
9. Drew Leblanc, Senior, Forward, St. Cloud
10. Kellen Lain, Junior, Forward, Lake Superior
11. Rylan Schwartz, Senior, Forward, Colorado College
12. Kenney Morrison, Freshman, Defense, Western Michigan
13. Chris Casto, Sophomore, Defense, Minnesota-Duluth
14. Wade Epp, Junior, Defense, Northern Michigan
15. Mike Boivin,Senior, Defense, Colorado College

Any chance we pursue any of them with a good chance of signing some?
I wish we would try for DeKeyser and Sustr. I'm sure many other teams would too though.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRocket10 View Post
I wish we would try for DeKeyser and Sustr. I'm sure many other teams would too though.
DeKeyser has some personal connections with the Detroit organization (I think he played with Jim Nills son among other things) so I think it would be a monumental upset to get him signed. Sustr, Schmidt, or anybody at this point would be good. Throw as much crap against the wall and see what sticks.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:35 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Yeah, there's no rush to sign Ghost. He's got another two years of eligibility and I'm sure that the Flyers are not wanting to rush him. He's rather light and the goal will be adding some much needed muscle and weight to his frame.
I never quite got this argument. Playing in the AHL is only going to help his physical development. They play a lot of weekend games, leaving plenty of time to get a proper training routine during the week. No offense to Union College, but I highly doubt he'll get as good a training as he would in a professional organization.

The ultimate decision should be whether he can continue to develop his on-ice game at Union. A couple months ago, it appeared he was on pace to be a near PPG player in the ECAC in which case I was leaning towards him signing after this season. He looked good in the few games he played top 4 minutes in the WJCs and he played well for a good stretch after the WJCs. It appears he has hit a rut the past couple of weeks and how he finishes the season will be critical in whether he's ready for professional hockey or if he needs another year. As I said earlier, I think he'll probably spend another year at Union.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:38 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
DeKeyser has some personal connections with the Detroit organization (I think he played with Jim Nills son among other things) so I think it would be a monumental upset to get him signed. Sustr, Schmidt, or anybody at this point would be good. Throw as much crap against the wall and see what sticks.
It comes down to how quickly he thinks he can crack the NHL lineup in Detroit. Detroit is notorious for keeping prospects in the minors until they are absolutely ready, and then some. I have to imagine he'll get a shot to play in some teams top 6 next year.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

http://www.sootoday.com/content/spor...ls.asp?c=53559

Cousins takes OHL player of the week honours..

Old
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Another win for Stolarz today he wasnt tested much only 24 shots London blew away Erie 8-1 and Stolarz also with a assist.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:34 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Another win for Stolarz today he wasnt tested much only 24 shots London blew away Erie 8-1 and Stolarz also with a assist.
That's not a fair matchup

Closed Thread