HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Windsor Spitfires 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 8)

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Hawks3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
It was painful to sit a few rows in front of BB, WR, and 5 or 6 other scouts at the Alliance all star game and hear WR gush over Konecny.

They need a hit on that 2nd rounder. Bigtime.
Who is Konecny?

Old
02-17-2013, 09:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post

45 points is a 3rd line guy? I think Montreal would disagree. Unless you're simply comparing to the two title teams??
No I am comparing Vail to his production of last year. His goal scoring has declined. He was in the midst of a streak where he scored 2g in 27 games. That is not production of a top line guy in any league, there's no reason for a guy in his 3rd year and being given as many opportunities as he's been given to have that lack of production.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:09 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks3 View Post
Who is Konecny?
Travis Konecny with Eligin Middlesex he will be a top draft pick in the 2013 draft.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:41 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
No I am comparing Vail to his production of last year. His goal scoring has declined. He was in the midst of a streak where he scored 2g in 27 games. That is not production of a top line guy in any league, there's no reason for a guy in his 3rd year and being given as many opportunities as he's been given to have that lack of production.
He slumped, but, believe it or not, he's on almost an exact same pace for points as last year (within 0.07 or so points-per-game). I won't deny that he's struggling at times this season, but to say he's a third-line player isn't fair.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:48 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post

Especially with Michael Clarke gone, Brady had to lock down defensively.

Hell, he had to play D for a couple of games too.

Old
02-17-2013, 09:56 PM
KyGuy9

What picks do we have from this year? And from who?

Because I thought we had a pick from Niagara that can be effective.

And now the Dogs are only 2 spots ahead of us in the OHL.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyGuy9 View Post
What picks do we have from this year? And from who?

Because I thought we had a pick from Niagara that can be effective.

And now the Dogs are only 2 spots ahead of us in the OHL.
This is what I believe to be true for the 1st 7 rds

!st rd- none
2nd rd- niagaras from Erie from Sarnia
3rd- our own
4th- Saginaws from guelph
5th- Eries
6th- Peterboroughs
7th-Erie"s

Note- not sure if the 3rd rd is ours or Londons but there is 1 in the 3rd

Old
02-17-2013, 11:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
He slumped, but, believe it or not, he's on almost an exact same pace for points as last year (within 0.07 or so points-per-game). I won't deny that he's struggling at times this season, but to say he's a third-line player isn't fair.
He hasn't made that next step that's the point. He was supposed to be a guy to build off his big 11/12 season but hasn't. Boughner said the vets last night were embarrassed by the Spirit's top players and guess what he's not talking about Sanvido or Verbeek he's talking about the likes of Rychel, Khokhlachev, Vail, Johnson and the list goes on.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:53 PM
OHLTG

Who determines what that "next step" is? Not every player is going to increase in points every year. If that's what you're expecting, maybe your expectations are too high? Vail has been playing defence for the last two weeks, which no doubt has hindered his totals.

As for the Saginaw game, I'd lay the blame on guys like Koko, Murphy, Ebert, etc before Vail and Rychel. Three goals were scored because of either stupid penalties or defensive breakdowns. The offence was just fine for the most part.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Ottomatic

CHL grinders don't make it into the NHL for the most part. Non-elite CHL first liners hope to find their niche as checking line players.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:43 PM
OHLTG

Jim Parker reporting on Twitter that Verbeek suspended indefinitely. My guess...he's done for the reg season.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
hockeyboy4

do you guys think murphy will get drafted?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:42 PM
south of the border

With the benefit of hindsight, which is easy, we can conclude that the trades made [goodbye Locke] at the midway point two years ago for a final push with Ellis and Kassian, the subsequent trading of defensive players like dunnick, Posa, Trojanovich, the miss on Webermin, team left with no 93's at ALL [except Pavs] to start year, and the constant changing of the roster due to all of the moves, injuries, suspensions, etc., it is not that surprising that the team is out of the playoffs. Seiloff the only defensive defenseman left and he has been injured. Look at the 93's in the leauge and that's a big factor. Our 94's are pretty good, for 94's [Rychel, Vail, Ebert, Johnson, Marchese, Murphy,], and our 96's are pretty good for 96's[Hosang, Sanvido]. Where are the 19 year olds?

Old
02-18-2013, 05:59 PM
RayzorIsDull

DeKort in net tonight

Old
02-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Libbs

Pretty much this game is sink or swim. Pavelka hasn't shown much lately to continue being in the crease, so I think they ride the rest of the season with Dekort (win or lose).

Old
02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
RayzorIsDull

Very little jump from the team, undisciplined play, lot of players trying to be individuals instead of using teammates. Only bright spot was DeKort. Some of these boys are just playing out the string.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:38 PM
KyGuy9

Quote:
Originally Posted by south of the border View Post
With the benefit of hindsight, which is easy, we can conclude that the trades made [goodbye Locke] at the midway point two years ago for a final push with Ellis and Kassian, the subsequent trading of defensive players like dunnick, Posa, Trojanovich, the miss on Webermin, team left with no 93's at ALL [except Pavs] to start year, and the constant changing of the roster due to all of the moves, injuries, suspensions, etc., it is not that surprising that the team is out of the playoffs. Seiloff the only defensive defenseman left and he has been injured. Look at the 93's in the leauge and that's a big factor. Our 94's are pretty good, for 94's [Rychel, Vail, Ebert, Johnson, Marchese, Murphy,], and our 96's are pretty good for 96's[Hosang, Sanvido]. Where are the 19 year olds?
Remy Giftopolous.

He will be a good OA, willing to play in any oppourtunity.

Really missing Locke.

Think we can work out a trade to get a 1st rounder?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
etr102

Not a lot to say about today's game. Saginaw made it quite clear that they are deserving of the final playoff spot and Windsor made it quite clear that they are not. DeKort did play well and deserved a better fate. Hopefully he starts the majority of the remainder of the season as there's not much left to play for this year.

Is it true that missing the playoffs this year officially voids our chances of hosting the Memorial Cup next year? If so, it is a blessing in disguise as we need to start rebuilding as soon as this season ends.

I liken the priority selection to a game of craps. Some nights at the table, every single point is hitting and you just can't lose. Next thing you know, you've hit the 6 point fire bet (which pays out at 1000:1 for you non-craps players). This is what it is like when you draft Nemisz, Henrique, etc. Other nights at the table, every shooter 7's out right after establishing point and it seems like you can't win. In those situations, you need to just realize it just isn't your night and walk away rather than keep visiting the ATM, taking more money out and falling further and further behind. I think this is Rychel's biggest mistake.

Rather then 'walking away' and rebuilding when the dice aren't going his way, he keeps 'visiting the ATM' and trading away draft picks and falling further behind. When it comes to the priority selection, you win some and you lose some. Its a crapshoot.

I think that Ho Sang and Sanvido should be the corner stones you build around, but the question is, who do we keep around as leaders during the rebuild? Obviously Kerby isn't going anywhere, but what other 94's do you keep around? This offseason should be interesting.

By the way, if any of you guys see a man and a women wearing Spits gear playing Craps or Blackjack at Caesars Windsor, it's probably my wife and I, so stop by and say hi. We're usually there a few times a week.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Very little jump from the team, undisciplined play, lot of players trying to be individuals instead of using teammates. Only bright spot was DeKort. Some of these boys are just playing out the string.
I would agree little jump from most,team seems mentally spent
Dekort played very well
From here on in I would be content to start Dekort the rest of way with Kuchmey
getting 2 or 3 starts too
See what u have for next yr
I doubt Pavelka returns next yr

Old
02-18-2013, 10:58 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Is it true that missing the playoffs this year officially voids our chances of hosting the Memorial Cup next year? If so, it is a blessing in disguise as we need to start rebuilding as soon as this season ends.

There is no rule or understanding that a team cannot host the Memorial Cup if they miss the play-offs the season before. I believe you are referring to an article where Boughner was quoted as saying that you canít host the cup if you miss the play-offs the season before. He was simply trying to make the point that it was best if the Spits did make the play-offs this season, as it would give them much-needed experience in the event that the Spitfires were indeed awarded the hosting rights.

The bottom line is that missing the play-offs will hurt Windsorís bid, but it will not disqualify their bid all by itself.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:07 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I would agree little jump from most,team seems mentally spent
Dekort played very well
From here on in I would be content to start Dekort the rest of way with Kuchmey
getting 2 or 3 starts too
See what u have for next yr
I doubt Pavelka returns next yr
Need to hit on those 2 import 1st rounders, need to be forwards as well. The depth isn't there right now. I listened to Mike Miller and he said some guys are trying but Vail and Johnson just don't have the finish you need for a top tier team in this league. He also said Ho-Sang needs to use his teammates more, of course tonight Ho-Sang was with Clark and Studnicka. If you hit on those 2 import forwards you can afford to move a guy like Marchese or Johnson. This offseason coming up is the most important one Rychel has had he can't come up empty this year.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:17 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Need to hit on those 2 import 1st rounders, need to be forwards as well. The depth isn't there right now. I listened to Mike Miller and he said some guys are trying but Vail and Johnson just don't have the finish you need for a top tier team in this league. He also said Ho-Sang needs to use his teammates more, of course tonight Ho-Sang was with Clark and Studnicka. If you hit on those 2 import forwards you can afford to move a guy like Marchese or Johnson. This offseason coming up is the most important one Rychel has had he can't come up empty this year.
I would agree homeruns need to hit everywhere this offseason,euro draft,entry draft, a free agent or 2,the signing of Nick Schmaltz or Evan Allen or both,2 more O/As,clearly
define the goalie situation
A definite upgrade upfront is needed

Old
02-18-2013, 11:36 PM
OHLTG

Thoughts on tonight:

1. The Spits couldn't buy a goal. I don't think you can fault them as much as you have to give credit to Paterson. He played his butt off and deserved the win.

2. DeKort stood on his head at times and deserved a better fate. This was as good a reason to ignore W-L records as I've seen.

3. The boys look frustrated out there. You can tell they're giving it their all, but something is missing. It doesn't help when, instead of taking a shot, they look for that perfect pass or the creative play. Get the puck on net and go for the rebound. It's easier than most want to believe.

4. Bilkce dressed, but didnt play. I'd imagine he'll start seeing shifts this week or on the road this weekend.

5. I love when people around me talk about how the season is done. Last I looked, it's February 18. Sure, we've got a mountain to climb, but I'll be damned if I'm giving up. I've seen strange stuff happen in this league. My regular season ends with the home-and-home with Plymouth in March. If someone else wants to give up and say "we're done", the WFCU doors are down the concourse. Go enjoy the weird weather while I'm watching hockey.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:07 AM
big papa

i think the only positive thing to take away from is that Dekort looked solid yet again in the crease, with the product we have on the ice (not that much improved from last season) there is no way we should get the Mem Cup its time to start building a team for the next bid in 2016-2017 season. For this team to compete next season WR NEEDS to get one of Barber, Allan, Butcher, N.Schmaltz and he NEEDS to hit a home run with the picks we have in the OHL and Import Draft as are depth is bad right now. It cant all be about getting players who will help Kerby Numbers like it has been sence we got him. not trading Ellis and Kassian put us back a year at least not to mention the fines dont help to go along with not trading them

Old
02-19-2013, 12:14 AM
big papa

Quote:
Thoughts on tonight:

1. The Spits couldn't buy a goal. I don't think you can fault them as much as you have to give credit to Paterson. He played his butt off and deserved the win.

2. DeKort stood on his head at times and deserved a better fate. This was as good a reason to ignore W-L records as I've seen.

3. The boys look frustrated out there. You can tell they're giving it their all, but something is missing. It doesn't help when, instead of taking a shot, they look for that perfect pass or the creative play. Get the puck on net and go for the rebound. It's easier than most want to believe.

4. Bilkce dressed, but didnt play. I'd imagine he'll start seeing shifts this week or on the road this weekend.

5. I love when people around me talk about how the season is done. Last I looked, it's February 18. Sure, we've got a mountain to climb, but I'll be damned if I'm giving up. I've seen strange stuff happen in this league. My regular season ends with the home-and-home with Plymouth in March. If someone else wants to give up and say "we're done", the WFCU doors are down the concourse. Go enjoy the weird weather while I'm watching hockey.
Bilcke likely dressed to serve the bench minor penalties so we wouldnt be short any other guys on the bench but wouldnt be surprised if in the next 1-2 weeks he will get a shift or 2 a game. i know it didnt mean much to the score but congrats to Mitch Graham on his First OHL Goal in his last game of his 9-games im sure he wont forget scoreing in the best junior leauge in the world

Closed Thread