Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Antoine Roussel-Remember Him

Old
02-18-2013, 12:30 PM
bizman

vCash: 500
Antoine Roussel-Remember Him

He's popped in 3 goals already since his call-up for Dallas and gave Iginla a run for his money in a nice scrap. I was really impressed by him during the rookie games last year. First we let Matt Read get away and then this kid, yet they choose to keep some career AHLers on the P-Bruins. The talent evaluators for the franchise need to recognize the diamonds in the rough. I understand the Bruins lineup is very stable but thy seem to be too complacent. A little injection of youth and spirit can re-energize a team.

bizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

When did we ever have Matt Read ?

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:34 PM
bizman

We brought him in for a tryout with Providence but didn't sign him.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizman View Post
He's popped in 3 goals already since his call-up for Dallas and gave Iginla a run for his money in a nice scrap. I was really impressed by him during the rookie games last year. First we let Matt Read get away and then this kid, yet they choose to keep some career AHLers on the P-Bruins. The talent evaluators for the franchise need to recognize the diamonds in the rough. I understand the Bruins lineup is very stable but thy seem to be too complacent. A little injection of youth and spirit can re-energize a team.
I look at guys like Bergeron, lucic, krejci, and marchand and say they're doing pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough. I wish I could say the same for the bruins 1st round choices (outside of gifts like Seguin & Hamilton).

You win some, you lose some.

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Shaun

Matt Read wasn't going to sign with us early and give up his college eligibility.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Deal Law
S corps suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
I look at guys like Bergeron, lucic, krejci, and marchand and say they're doing pretty good at finding diamonds in the rough. I wish I could say the same for the bruins 1st round choices (outside of gifts like Seguin & Hamilton).

You win some, you lose some.
This is exactly it. The Bs have done a pretty decent job at finding talent, as noted above, and I don't thinking letting a guy walk who was a fringe AHLer at the time is necessarily a bad move. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Regardless, the guy has three goals, and three points, in eight games and is a minus 2. Remember Fabian Brunstrom's early run with the Stars? If Roussel ends up popping in 20-25 then I'll question the move to let him go, but there is absolutely nothing in his professional hockey history to suggest he is capable of such a feat.

Deal Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
NotedToughGuyDKrejci

vCash: 1563
Quote:
Roussel has 13 goals in 146 career AHL games. I think we can say the 3 goals in 8 games in the NHL is more an aberration that a sign that he's going to be a 30 goals scorer. The only time the kid has scored even 20 goals in a season was as an 20 year old in the QMJHL. He's also a minus this season and pretty much every season of his career. Sure, it's always nice to have depth of tough players who can play, but I don't really think the Bruins are missing much by not having Roussel.

NotedToughGuyDKrejci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
SPB2776

Roussel has been brought up to the NHL from the AHL twice in three weeks. Great that he's scored a couple, but I'd hardly call him "The one who got away."

SPB2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:55 PM
mashmont

mashmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:02 PM
bizman

Never intended to portray him as a superstar but he's an energy player that would be useful in the organization if ever called upon. The kid has spunk something the B's have been sorely lacking lately.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Never intended to portray him as a superstar but he's an energy player that would be useful in the organization if ever called upon. The kid has spunk something the B's have been sorely lacking lately.
This board has officially lost its mind.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:22 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I've watched enough AHL hockey to know that sometimes, it takes a guy a few years and maybe a couple jumps in organizations to either find his way as a pro player or be relegated to the dreaded "career minor leaguer" role. There was absolutely nothing in Antoine Roussel's game when he was in Providence that stood out to me, and he got a good long look here. Good for him that he found a way to make it, or a coach got to him to turn it around. You win some and you lose some. We won with Johnny Boychuk, who was another guy that looked like nothing more than an AHL'er at one time.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote