HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

James Neal

Old
02-18-2013, 02:03 AM
theicebox
#MonixWatch

vCash: 500
James Neal

I am simply curious what other fan-bases gauge his value to be.

theicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:56 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think some GMs would be skeptical to trade for him because of the fact his number might be inflated due to Crosby and Malkin.

That being said, he did produce when he was in Dallas on a weaker team, so maybe not.

Playing with the two best players in the NHL forces Neal into the shadows a little bit, but I think he's a recognized NHL star at this point. There aren't too many 40 goal power forwards laying around either, so he would command a huge return.

I would love him on the Oilers. I think it would cost one of the big four straight up, or a package like Hemsky + Klefbom and a 2nd.

I don't know.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 AM
nmbr_24

Whatever it is, Pens fans won't think it is enough since mostly what they talk about on the trade board is how they need another wing. They would want it to be an absolute no brainer.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:15 AM
DoktorZaius

Great cap value for the Pens w/ his contract for a number of years going forward, & given his chemistry with Malkin there's really 0 chance of him ever getting moved.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Honour Over Glory

A consistent 20 goal scorer before he joined the Penguins, then he blossomed into a 40 goal scorer and is on pace for 33 goals this season. He has been great with Malkin, but the move to RW has also allowed him to utilize his shot a little better and that's why he's scoring more often. The way he's positioned on the ice with his quick release lets him blast goals past goaltenders.

Sure his numbers are inflated a little with Malkin, but it's a mutual thing. They feed off of each other.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:01 AM
madinsomniac

The question is are you asking what is his value is talent-wise or what his value is to the Pens organization. Talent wise he probably should be viewed as a defensively responsible, 30 goal type sniper, (despite him already scoring 40, because of the Malkin factor), but since the Penguins are devoid of goal scoring wingers, both on the big club and in their system, Pens fans will overvalue him and ask for a huge overpayment.

The org itself would probably deem him untouchable outside of an absolute insane deal, since he is young and signed to a responsible contract.

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:06 AM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Without Malkin he is the 20-30 goalscorer he was before joining Pens.

With Malkin, scoring 30-40+ goals for 5M/year... Great value. Keep him.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rd View Post

With Malkin, scoring 30-40+ goals for 5M/year... Great value. Keep him.
Maybe. He's just entering the prime years of his career, though. It's tough to say what he'd be scoring on a line with someone else.

I agree that the Pens would be crazy to move him, though. I think at this point he's probably right behind Crosby, Malkin, & Letang on the least likely to be traded list.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Satan
Degausser

vCash: 50
Goligoski and Niskanen

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
SteelFish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
he's more valuable to Pittsburgh than he is to any other team so what's the point of this thread?

SteelFish87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
he's more valuable to Pittsburgh than he is to any other team so what's the point of this thread?
I think he simply wants to know the value now after the trade we made with Dallas but I agree James isn't going anywhere and he just signed a contract extension

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:40 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

I dont think he is as valuable as some pens fans might think. Great player but I think his numbers are boosted by playing with Crosby and Malkin.

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:52 AM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Maybe. He's just entering the prime years of his career, though. It's tough to say what he'd be scoring on a line with someone else.

I agree that the Pens would be crazy to move him, though. I think at this point he's probably right behind Crosby, Malkin, & Letang on the least likely to be traded list.
It's true, no-one knows for sure how he'd do with worse centers.
I do know Pens shouldn't try to found out.

But IMO from what I've seen, he looks alot like he did in Stars. That's not a bad thing, he's a quality scorer who now gets to play with Malkin.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

He's not a great one on one player but he's one of the best shooters in the league. Biggest difference between him in Dallas and Pittsburgh (aside from playing with Malkin) is that he's a dominate PP player now. He had 18 PP goals last season and 7 already this year. He was more of a 2nd unit guy in Dallas. He's also improved his defensive game and is far more consistent.

He's increased his value since his Dallas days because of those reasons but he's still worth way more to the Pens than he is in trade so it's kind of irrelevant what exactly his value is.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
trdjn18

i still have yet to understand why people call the real deal a power forward... yes, he's big, and he uses his body, but wouldn't a sniper probably be a better classification? I mean, unless you've never watched him play...

trdjn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:39 AM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Gary Oak View Post
Goligoski and Niskanen
Dang beat me to it.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Fair to say that he has more value to the Pens than any other team in the league. He's a treasure, but only so many keys can unlock the chest.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:50 AM
Steve Holt
Fire Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdjn18 View Post
i still have yet to understand why people call the real deal a power forward... yes, he's big, and he uses his body, but wouldn't a sniper probably be a better classification? I mean, unless you've never watched him play...
I would classify him as a sniper. Yes, he gets to play next to Malkin. However, there is a reason he has had so much success - the guy has a killer shot.

Steve Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

IMO on the Habs, he'd be a young 50-60 pt scoring winger, something we could use. Not quite a valuable to the Habs as Max Pacioretty, but close.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I think some GMs would be skeptical to trade for him because of the fact his number might be inflated due to Crosby and Malkin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rd View Post

With Malkin, scoring 30-40+ goals for 5M/year
So how do you think he'd do playing on the right wing for Tavares?

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post

He actually played with good centers in Dallas as well people seem to over look that Dallas had Richards and Ribeiro. Yes they are not on the levels of Malkin or Crosby bu they are pretty good centers in their own right.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:41 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by theicebox View Post
We had this thread about a week ago. My thoughts on Neal haven't changed one bit. He is worth way more to Pittsburgh than anyone else because of his chemistry with Malkin.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I would classify him as a sniper. Yes, he gets to play next to Malkin. However, there is a reason he has had so much success - the guy has a killer shot.
Granato likened it to Joe Sakic's release. Which, if you have seen any of Neal the last season and a half, is pretty dead on. The release is just insane. People saying he's benefiting from Malkin need to watch this season where Malkin has been off his game for most of the season while Neal is still trucking along on his 30+ goal pace.

He's still just 25yrs old, trains hard in the off season, and he adjusted to playing on his off wing swimmingly. When he was on Malkin's left wing, he wasn't doing all that well, it was the move to the right wing when Neal suddenly took off. People should do at least a tiny bit of research before they write him off.

Stars fans, this isn't the same player you had, he's evolved a lot since he joined the Pens. Which is all you can ask for. And yes, his value to the Pens is way higher than it is to any other team, but then again, a 25yr old that has been a consistent 20 goal scorer that has scored 40 on a very good long term contract might have a decent value as well.

Last edited by Honour Over Glory: 02-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
Granato likened it to Joe Sakic's release. Which, if you have seen any of Neal the last season and a half, is pretty dead on. The release is just insane. People saying he's benefiting from Malkin need to watch this season where Malkin has been off his game for most of the season while Neal is still trucking along on his 30+ goal pace.

He's still just 25yrs old, trains hard on in the off season, and he adjusted to playing on his off wing swimmingly. When he was on Malkin's left wing, he wasn't doing all that well, it was the move to the right wing when Neal suddenly took off. People should do at least a tiny bit of research before they write him off.

Stars fans, this isn't the same player you had, he's evolved a lot since he joined the Pens. Which is all you can ask for. And yes, his value to the Pens is way higher than it is to any other team, but then again, a 25yr old that has been a consistent 20 goal scorer that has scored 40 on a very good long term contract might have a decent value as well.
QFT. I can't stress enough the biggest reason is the move to right wing. Neal's shot is elite.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Jaded-Fan

Interesting stat, he has 11 goals and only 3 assists. He has become in one way basically what Ovechkin was stat wise back in the day. He calls them assists, we call them rebounds off the goalie. Of course that is only statistically, their play is world's apart both in style and results. But he is what he is, a sniper, meaning to make best use of him you need someone to load the proverbial gun. Malkin is a perfect fit, although I am sure he would have success wherever he would play.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote