HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Props to Michel Frolik

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 04:08 PM
  #1
LarmerAmonteSeabrook
Registered User
 
LarmerAmonteSeabrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: City of Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Props to Michel Frolik

In seasons past, I really dogged Michel Frolik, and probably more than any other player. I even sneered when I saw him scoring at what I called an "un-Frolik clip" in Europe during the lockout. Well, I think it's time for me to start eating some crow here. Frolik has been one of our best PKers, and is one of the main reasons for our huge rise in our PK unit. He's also been solid in our bottom-6. The guy has done what he's supposed to without garnering much attention.

This thread is all about giving props to Frolik.

LarmerAmonteSeabrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
  #2
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 500
Frolik's become a great role player. He's a team-first guy and he doesn't complain. It's great to see.

It was also a great move by the coaching staff to give Frolik so much PK time, to make him feel like a big part of the team, despite only getting 4th line minutes.. and so far, without doubt, he has been a big part of the team's success.

He may never score 20 goals again.. but as long as he play like he has so far this season, he'll have a role on any NHL team.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:00 PM
  #3
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,886
vCash: 500
Would still love to trade him, for anything really. His contract doesn't fit next year, so hopefully they package him for an improvement to our bottom 6 or for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Not convinced his role on the PK cant be replicated by another player.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
  #4
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Would still love to trade him, for anything really. His contract doesn't fit next year, so hopefully they package him for an improvement to our bottom 6 or for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Not convinced his role on the PK cant be replicated by another player.
If a team is seeking a PK guy who works hard, then Frolik's value is as high as it is going to get. I agree with the above. We need to get more size on the 4th line and his contract is too high.... but yeah he is playing his role well.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:35 PM
  #5
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 500
If you don't like the way he's playing and want to trade him, that's one thing.

But to trade a contributing player on the best team in the league because you're worried about his contract (not an issue until next year) or his size (clearly hasn't hindered him) is ridiculous. You're acting like his value will be lower or his contract less tradeable in the offseason.

We want to win now. Like him or not, Frolik is helping us do that. He stays.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
  #6
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If you don't like the way he's playing and want to trade him, that's one thing.

But to trade a contributing player on the best team in the league because you're worried about his contract (not an issue until next year) or his size (clearly hasn't hindered him) is ridiculous. You're acting like his value will be lower or his contract less tradeable in the offseason.

We want to win now. Like him or not, Frolik is helping us do that. He stays.
We can win now with his replacement. Frolik isn't like Versteeg, Ladd, or Buff of 2009-10. He is replaceable, and fairly easy to replace. If you can get rid of his contract for next year, you do it.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
  #7
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
No you don't. You only trade him if he's a toss in and a valuable piece is coming back.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:56 PM
  #8
Sevanston
Moderator
 
Sevanston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
We can win now with his replacement. Frolik isn't like Versteeg, Ladd, or Buff of 2009-10. He is replaceable, and fairly easy to replace. If you can get rid of his contract for next year, you do it.
His contract can be gotten rid of in the offseason. That's what the offseason is for.

And who is this mysterious Frolik replacement you're always going on about and why aren't they already in his place?

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:44 PM
  #9
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
We can win now with his replacement. Frolik isn't like Versteeg, Ladd, or Buff of 2009-10. He is replaceable, and fairly easy to replace. If you can get rid of his contract for next year, you do it.
You don't get rid of a 4th liner that's playing as well as he's playing just because you can. You keep what's working and keep the chemistry that the 4th line is having and the PK is having. With the way this team is playing, we shouldn't be first round fodder this year and will be able to make a run in the playoffs, even if just a small one. If he keeps playing well he could gain even more trade value, especially if we make a cup run and he's still playing well and killing penalties.

If you were a GM, wouldn't you be more likely to pay a little more for a player who was just on a cup team as one of their best penalty killers and a solid 4th liner? Again, that's assuming they make the cup, which is way too early to say, but the farther they go in the playoffs, the more his value soars if he keeps producing. Based on the way the 4th line has been playing and the chemistry they seem to have, I don't see them slowing down, and if they do, they will still be a solid 4th line.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
  #10
BronYrAur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Ok, I think this is just kind of hilarious. He's the same player he was last year when he was the whipping post around here. All of a sudden the PK is having a bit of success and Kruger & Fro are heroes.

Hate to break it to you guys but the PK success is probably more luck than anything. Frolik is still a total black hole offensively and as soon as he crosses the red line he looks lost. So...good depth player, don't want him anywhere near top 3 lines.

I'm w/ Hawkaholic. Frolik is not essential to this team. His contract is way too much for what he provides here and Hawks should attempt to trade him or even give him away this offseason.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:52 PM
  #11
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!
 
TorMenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Rockford, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,833
vCash: 500
Nobody is saying don't get rid of him in the offseason, we're arguing not to get rid of him now.

TorMenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:20 PM
  #12
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 500
No one has a problem with moving him in the off-season.. but there's no sense in moving him now. Him and Kruger are both playing more confidently in the roles they've been given. It's undeniable, especially in Kruger's case. Frolik doesn't need to produce many points in his role and no one's suggesting moving him up the line-up.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:23 PM
  #13
BronYrAur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
No one has a problem with moving him in the off-season.. but there's no sense in moving him now. Him and Kruger are both playing more confidently in the roles they've been given. It's undeniable, especially in Kruger's case. Frolik doesn't need to produce many points in his role and no one's suggesting moving him up the line-up.
Yeah sure I can agree with this. Like I said...solid depth player. Just kind of bizarre how the guy can look like he has no sense at all in the offensive zone but managed to score 20 goals....twice.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:44 PM
  #14
sketch22
Registered User
 
sketch22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,248
vCash: 2893
People are also overlooking how well he has played in the post season. In 11 games so far he has 4g 4a and is a +4. It is an admittedly small sample size (and I doubt he keeps up that pace), but Frolik has been impressive in the playoffs the last 2 years. If the Hawks go on a run and Frolik plays a solid part in that run his value will only go up afterwards.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
  #15
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,373
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Ryan Johnson had no sense in the offensive zone. Our worth line is currently two defensively sound playmakers playing with a fourth line grinder. Carcillo really could bring the edge and skill they need to have us roll two third lines.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
  #16
LandofLincoln
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
If you don't like the way he's playing and want to trade him, that's one thing.

But to trade a contributing player on the best team in the league because you're worried about his contract (not an issue until next year) or his size (clearly hasn't hindered him) is ridiculous. You're acting like his value will be lower or his contract less tradeable in the offseason.

We want to win now. Like him or not, Frolik is helping us do that. He stays.
Good point. We need him this year. I'm glad he has found his spot. Next year we don't need him. I think for another team he could be a 20G guy and well worth the 2.3 million. Once the season is over we could get a high 3rd rounder for him.

LandofLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:39 AM
  #17
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,905
vCash: 500
with the way he is playing and what he has shown in the POs in the past, he is a valueable player. IF we have a deep run, his value will go up in the trade market. Could keep him on the Roster or if we need that Cap Space could package him to get more out of this Cap Space

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:43 AM
  #18
HawksTillDeath
Registered User
 
HawksTillDeath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
he's playing a 4th line role
but he's a player than can move up in case of an injury

players like that are hard to find

one of the biggest reasons for success this season (aside from shot blocking, goaltending) is being able to roll 4 lines.
Frolik is a big reason for that

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
  #19
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,412
vCash: 500
Is Frolik worth what he's being paid? No. Is he doing a good job at the roles he's been asked to do? Absolutely.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:42 AM
  #20
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 21,373
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath View Post
he's playing a 4th line role
but he's a player than can move up in case of an injury

players like that are hard to find

one of the biggest reasons for success this season (aside from shot blocking, goaltending) is being able to roll 4 lines.
Frolik is a big reason for that
I miss Kopecky. Seriously, he could play any role to some modicum of success. Which is pretty freaking special in a bottom six player.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:49 AM
  #21
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarmerAmonteSeabrook View Post
In seasons past, I really dogged Michel Frolik, and probably more than any other player. I even sneered when I saw him scoring at what I called an "un-Frolik clip" in Europe during the lockout. Well, I think it's time for me to start eating some crow here. Frolik has been one of our best PKers, and is one of the main reasons for our huge rise in our PK unit. He's also been solid in our bottom-6. The guy has done what he's supposed to without garnering much attention.

This thread is all about giving props to Frolik.
I've always liked his effort, but where I give him full credit is for realizing the type of player he is, embracing it, and excelling at it. He's not trying to be a Top 6 scoring winger anymore (and Q isn't trying to shoe-horn him there with Hossa, etc). He's a bottom 6 energy player, who plays great defense and is superb on the PK. He also has just enough talent to mesh well with his line mates and create some plays and scoring chances, which for a 4th line is great to keep the other team on their heels.

This is the version of Michael Frolik I like to see.

Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:55 AM
  #22
Recoil
Registered User
 
Recoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I miss Kopecky. Seriously, he could play any role to some modicum of success. Which is pretty freaking special in a bottom six player.
I agree, but the temptation to make Kopecky a Top 6 player was too great for Q and he always tried to shoe-horn in him in the Top 6 (like Frolik). I liked Bottom-6 ToKo, I grew to hate Top-6 ToKo. Probably best he is in Florida where Q can't be tempted anymore.


Last edited by Recoil: 02-19-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
  #23
vegasvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 44
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Frolik is still a total black hole offensively and as soon as he crosses the red line he looks lost.
+1 His stick handling in the offensive zone is brutal. That said, he works hard and I find myself rooting for him to score

vegasvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:16 PM
  #24
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
I agree, but the temptation to make Kopecky a Top 6 player was too great for Q and he always tried to shoe-horn in him in the Top 6 (like Frolik). I liked Bottom-6 ToKo, I grew to hate Top-6 ToKo. Probably best he is in Florida where Q can't be tempted anymore.
This is how I felt too. I couldn't stand Kopecky in the top-6. He took so many stupid penalties, usually in the offensive zone and despite never really looking good in the top-6, he was just shoved down our throats in that role. The guy lacked serious vision and offensive awareness.

If Kopecky remained on the 4th line and screened the goalie on the PP, I probably would have really like him (as I did in 2010).. but having him in the top-6, consistently, was frustrating to watch.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:34 PM
  #25
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
This is how I felt too. I couldn't stand Kopecky in the top-6. He took so many stupid penalties, usually in the offensive zone and despite never really looking good in the top-6, he was just shoved down our throats in that role. The guy lacked serious vision and offensive awareness.

If Kopecky remained on the 4th line and screened the goalie on the PP, I probably would have really like him (as I did in 2010).. but having him in the top-6, consistently, was frustrating to watch.
I agree. Not only was he in the top 6 but got plenty of PP time as well. The early days of our crippled PP that remains wanting to this day and needs to get corrected by playoff time.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.