HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings lines changed again today

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 04:14 PM
  #51
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Going on 46 years for me...and I do understand it.

What I don't understand is every time we lose these fans have to complain. I am wondering now if Canadian fan complained like a little b when they lost each of 8 times in 1976-77 (60-8-12)?

Probably.

Certain fans will never be satisfied.
I've been a hockey fan/Kings fan for 23 years (since I was 10 years old) and you have to realize that EVERY fan of ANY sport complains after a loss when their team looks like they don't care or they've never played together in their lives the first two periods of a game. The players in interviews before the game were talking about how big the game was, how they were going to step up to the challenge against the #1 team in the league. I saw no such thing. They only decided to wake up when they were down by three goals and didn't want to be embarrassed on NBC.

I worry about the veterns of this team like Kopi, Brown, Williams and Quick who aren't playing up to half of their ability.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
  #52
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: staples center
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 16,404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Going on 46 years for me...and I do understand it.

What I don't understand is every time we lose these fans have to complain. I am wondering now if Canadian fan complained like a little b when they lost each of 8 times in 1976-77 (60-8-12)?

Probably.

Certain fans will never be satisfied.
Sorry we aren't one dimensional, I'm sure you'd feel more at ease if we were like you, but I'm not, this team sucks balls every regular season and for once I don't want them too. If you can't handle that everyone isn't mellow like you then just don't visit the thread.

Also, the system could be better, our talented forwards shouldn't be grinding to make plays, they should be able to skate through the blue line in a formation and make slick passes not dump in and chase it and cycle for a minute and get worn out then lose the puck. Average teams should grind not talented ones.


Last edited by KingKopitar11*: 02-18-2013 at 05:14 PM.
KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:58 PM
  #53
moosehead81
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,014
vCash: 500
Looks to me like Kopitar's a little hurt- last year he was a work horse pretty well the whole season. Brown is playing typically like last year (remember the "trade Brown" opinions). Richards is coming up to speed while I think Carter's been a pleasant surprise so far. Williams is blah, as usual, Penner's done pretty well nothing, don't know what's wrong with Stoll and King and Nolan aren't the guys who seemed to rejuvenate the team when they came on last season. Lastly, so far, Quick isn't having the year he had last year but that was a remarkable year and hard to duplicate. But even so, give them time and some home ice and I think they'll be still around after game 48.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:10 PM
  #54
deeshamrock
Registered User
 
deeshamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 3,532
vCash: 500
Losing 3 key Dmen and Quick being rusty has given the team a whole different shape, and the forwards in some cases are tryingt to compensate and that affects the flow and rhythm.
However, other than Carter , there is no legit consistant sniping winger on the top 2 lines. That is something (hopefully) DL will correct in the offseason. Gagne and Penner will go away and maybe even Willams. Toffoli is just about a lock to make the team and Pearson will get a shot in camp. But that also leaves DL with an option to realize how much that's needed, esp when he's seen what a differnce Carter makes coming over that blue line. He's fast and deadly.
I'm hoping thru either free agency or contract buyouts that he gets that guy, because Kopi deserves that.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that Richards and carter continue to produce and that somehow, the first line gets going.
I'm not sure about Penner, I'd love to see him do something on the 3rdl line with Stoll and Lewis.
You wouldnt think that 3.5 goals a game would be alot to ask, but that's all Sutter is asking and hopefully, the team will turn the corner over the next week. A nice string of W's would be great.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
  #55
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year
 
kingsholygrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Derpifornia
Country: United States
Posts: 50,445
vCash: 500
Read a great article on my phone about Quick.

To paraphrase one part regarding his numbers..

Quote:
In January 2011, Quick had hit what was his lowest point in his career to date. He had gone just 2-7, with a save percentage of .869 and a goals against average of 3.29. In his next ten appearances, he was 8-1-1 with a .933 save percentage and a 1.84 goals against average. The second number is the Quick we're used t from playoffs past. Of course, in the ten games *after* that he averaged out again.
Essentially the article was showing how his career numbers continue to steadily improve, but looking at his game in segments of 10 games or less and it looks wildlyy inconsistent. But that's really no different than any other goalie.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:35 PM
  #56
JT8888
Registered User
 
JT8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Going on 46 years for me...and I do understand it.

What I don't understand is every time we lose these fans have to complain. I am wondering now if Canadian fan complained like a little b when they lost each of 8 times in 1976-77 (60-8-12)?

Probably.

Certain fans will never be satisfied.
Amen

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:05 PM
  #57
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
Going on 46 years for me...and I do understand it.

What I don't understand is every time we lose these fans have to complain. I am wondering now if Canadian fan complained like a little b when they lost each of 8 times in 1976-77 (60-8-12)?

Probably.

Certain fans will never be satisfied.
So I take it you are ok with where the kings stand? You are ok when players don't show up?

People calling players out for not performing are now whining? Give me a break.

If you are happy with half the lineup not scoring more power to you. I guess its expected to have been a fan for as long as you have to be used to all the suckage.

Last year we got a taste of what a good hockey team was. I didn't expect them to perform on the same level, but I did expect to see them play quality hockey.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:09 PM
  #58
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,170
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post

Also, the system could be better, our talented forwards shouldn't be grinding to make plays, they should be able to skate through the blue line in a formation and make slick passes not dump in and chase it and cycle for a minute and get worn out then lose the puck. Average teams should grind not talented ones.
this is exactly my thoughts, well said

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:12 PM
  #59
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
I'll wait till all 48 games + playoff's(if there are any) are played, then decide if I am upset or happy.

It's a sports Team, not my 401k or Retire fund.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:23 PM
  #60
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Sutter does this like many other coaches. He puts players who are struggling (he has done this with Stoll often this season) with players who are clicking. Could be just trying to get King back on track, could be other reasons.

EIther way I don't think these are written in stone.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:27 PM
  #61
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Sutter does this like many other coaches. He puts players who are struggling (he has done this with Stoll often this season) with players who are clicking. Could be just trying to get King back on track, could be other reasons.

EIther way I don't think these are written in stone.
Bingo.

Sutter has to try something, you have to get these roster players going.

It's not easy to just trade a guy or waive a guy like everyone around here thinks it is.

Also after letting Hickey walk, then half the D going down to injuries weeks later.....Dean doesn't want to lose anymore players to waivers.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:33 PM
  #62
Scottkmlps
Moderator
 
Scottkmlps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ladysmith, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,918
vCash: 500
Lol. Another case of what have you done for me lately. Nobody was complaining about King during the playoffs, especially the Western Conference finals. I guess some people really do have short memories. He's basically in his sophmore season, a season where many players struggle. Patience.

Scottkmlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
  #63
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Lol. Another case of what have you done for me lately. Nobody was complaining about King during the playoffs, especially the Western Conference finals. He's basically in his sophmore season, a season where many players struggle. Patience.
I agree. The kid just needs time. I don't even see him in a sophomore slump as much as he is just struggling. He is never going to be much more than a serviceable utility forward who can pop in 15 to 20 (on a very good year) goals and use his size to make room for people. This is what the guy is. I think we could get him a 20 goal season every year if we were to give him top line minutes but that would be a waste of his abilities to me.

3rd line LW who can produce bottom 6 points while wearing down our opponents, that is what DK does best.

He will be fine and I like DS giving him a bit of a jump start when he can.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
  #64
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
So I take it you are ok with where the kings stand? You are ok when players don't show up?

People calling players out for not performing are now whining? Give me a break.

If you are happy with half the lineup not scoring more power to you. I guess its expected to have been a fan for as long as you have to be used to all the suckage.

Last year we got a taste of what a good hockey team was. I didn't expect them to perform on the same level, but I did expect to see them play quality hockey.
We have three starting D men out due to injuries, what is so hard for you to understand? Of course we can't be at the level we were last season because (1) the injuries, and (2) that historic run won't be repeated.

I am patient, that near half-century has taught me patience. It's a long season, even if its only slightly longer than half as usual. We still have 3/4 of the way to go. Why don't you go ahead and take a Xanax and relax?

__________________
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:42 PM
  #65
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Sorry we aren't one dimensional, I'm sure you'd feel more at ease if we were like you, but I'm not, this team sucks balls every regular season and for once I don't want them too. If you can't handle that everyone isn't mellow like you then just don't visit the thread.

Also, the system could be better, our talented forwards shouldn't be grinding to make plays, they should be able to skate through the blue line in a formation and make slick passes not dump in and chase it and cycle for a minute and get worn out then lose the puck. Average teams should grind not talented ones.
You, in particular, are tilted on the other side of the ice. Only a fool would call me one-dimensional, you don't know me. So they "suck balls" every regular season? Perhaps the injuries to our top 3 D-men have something to do with it? Perhaps, just perhaps, we have a huge ****ing bulls-eye on our back every ****ing night because the we are the defending champs?

Get a clue and take it easy. It's a long season. I for one am getting tired of all the negativity on this board, it just wears me out.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:44 PM
  #66
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You, in particular, are tilted on the other side of the ice. Only a fool would call me one-dimensional, you don't know me. So they "suck balls" every regular season? Perhaps the injuries to our top 3 D-men have something to do with it? Perhaps, just perhaps, we have a huge ****ing bulls-eye on our back every ****ing night because the we are the defending champs?

Get a clue and take it easy. It's a long season. I for one am getting tired of all the negativity on this board, it just wears me out.
That is one underrated aspect, the target on the Kings back.

I think one team so far has played the Kings bad....The Blues.

Everyone else has brought their A game. Even Columbus, didn't amount to much; but the two games against the Kings were two of their better games.

Well PHX really didn't play well ether...So two teams.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:45 PM
  #67
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I've been a hockey fan/Kings fan for 23 years (since I was 10 years old) and you have to realize that EVERY fan of ANY sport complains after a loss when their team looks like they don't care or they've never played together in their lives the first two periods of a game. The players in interviews before the game were talking about how big the game was, how they were going to step up to the challenge against the #1 team in the league. I saw no such thing. They only decided to wake up when they were down by three goals and didn't want to be embarrassed on NBC.

I worry about the veterns of this team like Kopi, Brown, Williams and Quick who aren't playing up to half of their ability.
See, I look it at differently than you.

Yes, they were badly outplayed the first 30 minutes of the game. But I am going to give some credit to Chicago for this. They were all over the Kings, I commented to my son that it appears they always six men on the ice. Sound familiar?

The Kings displayed that extreme dogged style throughout the playoffs.

I don't think the comeback was fueled by any possible "embarrassment" on national TV. This isn't about how you look. I think the Kings picked up their play with about 6 minutes to go in the second period, and the momentum sustained itself through to the end of the game. The Hawks were kind of lucky to escape that with a regulation win.

It's not just YOUR team is doing out there on the ice. It's what the opponent is able to do as well.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:45 PM
  #68
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 34,841
vCash: 500
Not too concerned about the line adjustments as others have stated, this is normal for a team that is struggling. Hell, some coaches even make changes on the fly even if they're winning, Scotty Bowman and Mike Keenan were notorious for doing that.

I would also like to add that I would hope that the players (and coaches) don't keep looking back at the players' stats and lack of production and just focus on what they're going to be able to do and provide in the next game. Although Simon Gagne isn't producing, I think he's played well and is creating some opportunities for his linemates with his aggressive forecheck. He's very good at anticipating where the puck is going and is usually at the right spot to pick up the puck.

One thing I would like to see more of is for the Kings to generate plays from behind the goal line. Right now they are too dependent on working the walls. If they're going to do that, work it low and bring the puck from the goal line to the net. It's a lot closer than trying to get the puck from the half wall to a scoring position. Those are low percentage shots that are going to end up going wide or will be an easy stop for the goalie (or more often than not, a blocked shot, which tends to happen a lot with this team).

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:48 PM
  #69
damacles1156
Moderator
 
damacles1156's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 15,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not too concerned about the line adjustments as others have stated, this is normal for a team that is struggling. Hell, some coaches even make changes on the fly even if they're winning, Scotty Bowman and Mike Keenan were notorious for doing that.

I would also like to add that I would hope that the players (and coaches) don't keep looking back at the players' stats and lack of production and just focus on what they're going to be able to do and provide in the next game. Although Simon Gagne isn't producing, I think he's played well and is creating some opportunities for his linemates with his aggressive forecheck. He's very good at anticipating where the puck is going and is usually at the right spot to pick up the puck.

One thing I would like to see more of is for the Kings to generate plays from behind the goal line. Right now they are too dependent on working the walls. If they're going to do that, work it low and bring the puck from the goal line to the net. It's a lot closer than trying to get the puck from the half wall to a scoring position. Those are low percentage shots that are going to end up going wide or will be an easy stop for the goalie (or more often than not, a blocked shot, which tends to happen a lot with this team).
Agree, get the puck Deeper. Make Defenders turn around.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:57 PM
  #70
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
We have three starting D men out due to injuries, what is so hard for you to understand? Of course we can't be at the level we were last season because (1) the injuries, and (2) that historic run won't be repeated.

I am patient, that near half-century has taught me patience. It's a long season, even if its only slightly longer than half as usual. We still have 3/4 of the way to go. Why don't you go ahead and take a Xanax and relax?


I understand what winger is saying in that sometimes people get really frustrated and vent. That said, you hit the nail on the head pretty much. I don't support xanax (never had it) but I do support the idea of venting and then relaxing. Faith is a good thing.

This is the team that we all cheered all the way to the cup. The same coaches and GM that got us a cup. Most of the exact same players or players who are filling in for those players who got us a cup. This team has proven that it can do what it takes to win the cup.

Its ok to get frustrated but it is sad to lose faith in the team especially this early or when the team is doing everything it can to try and cover the absence of three (now) of its top performers. I mean we built this team from the net out.

Goalie first.

D second and whatever forwards we needed last. (MR Carter Gags etc).

We built our system around our G and D system that everyone has to be playing in order for us to be successful. We now are having to play without two or three of those guys and it is A, going to take time for the rookies to adjust to the NHL game and B, they can only do what they can do and that isn't going to be as good as the guys they are replacing, at least not this early in their careers.

So it is going to be a bumpy ride but I still see us playing much better hockey all the time and as our kid D get better/more accustomed to our game we will continue to do better.

While all of this is going on we have DL and co trying to A, figure out if we actually need to replace WM and MG for the rest of the season, B, how best to do that if we do and C, always trying to improve the rest of our team while they are at it.

They got us to the cup last year and I can't see why they can't get us ready to play for it again.

Ron is bang on when he says that time has taught the long suffering fans patients. I would only add that winning has taught us that it is alright to trust the people in charge of this team to do their jobs and the players to continue putting everything together until the very day that we either win the cup again or are without a doubt eliminated from a shot at it this year though I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Faith = good thing to have. Makes watching the game more fun.

I believe in the team from GM to the rookies in our line-up and in the fact that they are all giving every last thing that they possibly have right now to bring the cup back this year (and for as long as they can).

Losing sucks but it is temporary. We have already proven that we know how to win it all and that is forever. We all want to win. We know we can do it. Now its time to have a little faith and give the team all the support that we can until we win the cup again.

We are asking the team and co to give their all, we need to do the same and I believe we do. All of us.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:14 PM
  #71
Nose of Sutter
Registered User
 
Nose of Sutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,629
vCash: 500
Yeah don't like King on the 2nd line at all over Gagne, hopefully he won't bring down Carter and Richards. If these don't work I wouldn't be surprised to see Sutter change it up again during the game.

Nose of Sutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:21 PM
  #72
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nose of Sutter View Post
Yeah don't like King on the 2nd line at all over Gagne, hopefully he won't bring down Carter and Richards. If these don't work I wouldn't be surprised to see Sutter change it up again during the game.
I would be surprised if Sutter *doesn't* change it up during the game even if it is working. This doesn't seem like a permanent change, more like a shot at getting the kid (DK) going or give him a shot at looking good.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:53 PM
  #73
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
We have three starting D men out due to injuries, what is so hard for you to understand? Of course we can't be at the level we were last season because (1) the injuries, and (2) that historic run won't be repeated.

I am patient, that near half-century has taught me patience. It's a long season, even if its only slightly longer than half as usual. We still have 3/4 of the way to go. Why don't you go ahead and take a Xanax and relax?
You still don't get it, and not worth getting into it....

Thanks for educating me though on how two defensive dmen is the reason the kings can't generate many scoring chances when carter isn't on the ice.

It's ok though as it sounds like you are suggesting xanax from personal experience.

Edit: for The record I'm not asking for a rebuild or any nonsense like that. Im asking for accountability for The crappy play by a number of guys. Penner takes a lot me heat but he is not the only one not performing.


Last edited by Winger23: 02-18-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:58 PM
  #74
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967
 
Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brea, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
You still don't get it, and not worth getting into it....

Thanks for educating me though on how two defensive dmen is the reason the kings can't generate many scoring chances when carter isn't on the ice.

It's ok though as it sounds like you are suggesting xanax from personal experience.
No, sorry, but you are the one who just doesn't get it. As TS stated, we are built from the goalie out...which means the broken link in all of this is the defense...which moves the puck up to...repeat with me now...our forwards! Yes, that's it!

Hockey 101 is now in session to those who...who just don't get it.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:09 AM
  #75
Winger23
Registered User
 
Winger23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
No, sorry, but you are the one who just doesn't get it. As TS stated, we are built from the goalie out...which means the broken link in all of this is the defense...which moves the puck up to...repeat with me now...our forwards! Yes, that's it!

Hockey 101 is now in session to those who...who just don't get it.
Whatever dude you are clueless. Losing our defensive guys will lead to breakdowns in the defensive zone and stop a few breakouts but please to sit there like you know it all cause you don't.

Even with Mitchell and Greene this team did not score on the rush much as they get very few odd man rushes.

Thanks for The hockey 101 lesson, the class was as good as Lewis' goals this year.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.