HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grebs back to Russia?

Old
07-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
There is a limit on how much a player can make on a 2-way contract no matter if they are a rookie or not. And there is no way in hell Grebeshkov was going to get $1 million to play in Manchester.
That was my question ... 2005-2006 was the final year of his rookie entry contract which I don't think was a 2-way contract {? he didn't fall under the new CBA rules} and he was due to be paid over $900,000, regardless if it was LA or Manchester that's what he made, now he's a RFA and doesn't want to sign a 2 way deal and risk taking less money ... Lehoux you might recall was in the same boat last year and the Kings refused to give him his 1 way deal after the injury, so he went to Russia or Switz or where ever it was, and played a couple games, until he decided to finally take the Kings 2 way deal and thus embark on his frequent flyer miles parade from LA to PHX to Manchester to PHX to ? who knows maybe we'll get Grebs back off waivers from the Islanders later this year

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:11 AM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Actually, yeah . Those two prospects might very well have landed Cloutier (especially with the Van-Tambellini connection), saving the Kings the 2nd-round pick and possibly even the conditional pick, as well.
So you think Cloutier > Sopel AND Parrish ???

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:11 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
So you think Cloutier > Sopel AND Parrish ???
If it were as ridiculously simple as that, I would've just said that.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk View Post
He was terrible on the Island, there was no way he was getting a one-way deal. I think he was easily the worst player on their team.
too much of a risk and a liability with Poti allready with the Isles for them to give Grebs a 1 year deal.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
Parrish is gone and a defenseman of Sopel's quality could've easily been signed for free; hence, it was, basically, a waste.

1st-rounders have value. Tambellini and Grebeshkov were worth as much as they were because of where they were drafted. Imagine what Lombardi might've turned them into via trade if he had them to work with.

not true. did you SEE what Corvo got? Sopel now makes less than most of the defenseman in his range... and, like Joe, Brent will NOW be playing in a contract year.

several of us tried to tell everyone at the deadline, that this was looking to be how Grebeshkov's fate would en up. he was NOT going to make the team next season.

the trade now becomes Tambellini for Brent Sopel, and it remains to be seen as to whether or not the trade worked out.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:03 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt View Post
I can sort of see Johnsson, but IMO he is SERIOUSLY overpaid at $4 mil. Sydor is looking like an old man out there now and I wouldn't pay Niinimaa $.5 mil anymore, let alone $2.5. But Malik at $2.5 mil? Really? MAREK Malik??
Sopel was pretty damn unimpressive, man.... I hope he proves me wrong this season with a healthier knee- I admit I might be a little harsh. More than that, though, I'd like to see him moved for someone better and cheaper, if possible.

jeffreyaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Guys, I don't think Grebeshkov was worth anything. That's why Mike Milbury was the one that traded for him. So, Tambellini was the guy that we could have turned into something else.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I hope that most of you now realize that Sopel is paid below market value.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I wouldn't say "below"; I'd say right about at market value (which just underscores the point that such a guy could've been signed for free instead of traded for).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 06:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofCrunk View Post
He was terrible on the Island, there was no way he was getting a one-way deal. I think he was easily the worst player on their team.

This isn't true. He was, in fact, reasonably solid for a rookie and he does figure in the Isles' long-term plans. The reality, however, was that his odds of making the team were not good because Gervais and Campoli are both ahead of him. Campoli scored close to 30 points as a rookie and Gervais outplayed both Campoli and Grebs in the final weeks of the season. The Isles can't have three dmen, who all have less than two years of experience, as regulars and Grebs was number 3 on our list. I had assumed that one of the three would get traded for that reason. But, having Grebs go to Europe for another years of seasoning is a better option.

Grebs appears to have signed a one year deal rather than report to the AHL (which was his likely destination). I assume the Isles will try to bring him back next season.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post

We live in a strange time when guys like Sopel and Corvo can make the money they make...

Think this is because during the "old" nhl people just didn't try to develop the fast smaller d-men. If you weren't and tough they didn't care. So now the game has changed and their aren't alot of d-men that can keep up with the speed....

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Grebeshkov won't be returning to North America unless he receives a one-way contract. I expect him to spend the next couple of seasons in the Super League (just as Rachunek did).

As for Tambellini, we'll see if he makes the team out of camp. The Islanders have some youngsters ahead of him, so he really needs to step it up and impress in camp.

Still, Taylor gave up two assets that could have been used in a bigger deal rather than a rental and an offensive defenseman with a broken wheel. Hopefully we can at the very least get one productive year out of Sopel.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:33 PM
wabwat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
This isn't true. He was, in fact, reasonably solid for a rookie and he does figure in the Isles' long-term plans. The reality, however, was that his odds of making the team were not good because Gervais and Campoli are both ahead of him. Campoli scored close to 30 points as a rookie and Gervais outplayed both Campoli and Grebs in the final weeks of the season. The Isles can't have three dmen, who all have less than two years of experience, as regulars and Grebs was number 3 on our list. I had assumed that one of the three would get traded for that reason. But, having Grebs go to Europe for another years of seasoning is a better option.

Grebs appears to have signed a one year deal rather than report to the AHL (which was his likely destination). I assume the Isles will try to bring him back next season.
i told you in the other thread that this would happen, Darth... the problem with Grebeshkov is the ONLY person who doesn't think he's NOT ready for the NHL, is Denis. i have my suspicions that this will be the last of Denis Grebeshkov in North America.

Old
07-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i have my suspicions that this will be the last of Denis Grebeshkov in North America.
So do I unless he gets dealt to a team with no blueline depth and they bring him over and plug him in.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:32 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat View Post
i told you in the other thread that this would happen, Darth... the problem with Grebeshkov is the ONLY person who doesn't think he's NOT ready for the NHL, is Denis. i have my suspicions that this will be the last of Denis Grebeshkov in North America.

I guess we'll see. I think he'll be back in the league next season.

I hope you guys will finally start feeling a little better about that trade though. I felt bad about it at the time because I knew that you all hated it.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:

I thought he was horrid, but in a way that it was masked. To each their own, as I am very clearly biased against him. The AHL All-Star game is what did it for me on that end.

I think he'll come back to the league eventually as a more mature player and be passable defensively. His main problem was his maturity, or lack thereof.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 02:07 AM
wabwat

Quote:
I guess we'll see. I think he'll be back in the league next season.

I hope you guys will finally start feeling a little better about that trade though. I felt bad about it at the time because I knew that you all hated it.

funny thing is... i was one of the few that didn't get bent about it. we would've been in the same contractual problem with Denis as the Islanders are, where he wouldn't have made the team, and wouldn't have excepted playing in the AHL. and as far as Jeff Tambellini is concerned, i believed it was either he or Cammalleri that was gonna be moved, and Mike conitnued to bust his a** all year. anything outside of a ridiculously miraculous training camp, Jeff wouldn't have made the Kings roster... he was beginning to run out of room and time. not development time mind you... but there is a bit bigger buffer between Cammalleri and Parse (say), then there was between Cammalleri and Tambellini.