HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Screw the Leafs, Let's all hate the penguins. Cooke lacerated my heart :(

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 11:54 AM
  #76
pepty
Registered User
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I never said Neil was as bad as Cooke or that they were equal in terms of dirty play. Try actually reading what I write instead of making inferences. I said IF Mario is a hypocrite, then so is Melnyk. That was my point and it is correct. Every owner is paying the salary of a goon (Cooke isn't really a goon. more of a agitator/cheapshot artist although again that is more in the past, bit I deigress) and for them to make public comments decrying one organization for employing them, while ignoring the fact that they do as well, is hypocritical.

I quoted where Melnyk said this is a league for elite players and that Cooke isn't one and therefore he shouldn't be in the league. He later went on to say "You will forget about guys like him (Cooke) in a year or two because they won't be playing in the league,". He is flat out wrong in that quote. Cooke is a good hockey player and will still be in this league in 3-4 years, assuming he is still healthy at his age. You may not like Cooke, you would be in a large majority of hockey fans, but the fact is that he is an NHL player and a good one at that. Your owner came off as unintelligent and irrational.

Anyway, we obviously won't agree on this issue and I am a visitor on your board so I don't want to push it anymore. So good day.
You said that Melnyk is a hypocrite because he employs Neil. Why would that make him a hypocrite? Neil is a valuable player and as has been mentioned, has a clean record. He is a hard hitting player but hardly a goon.

By the way it is not our owner who comes off as unintelligent or irrational as Mario did when he ripped the league after Crosby got a concussion ignoring the fact that he employed the worst of the offenders himself-or like the Pens fans who are rushing to defend the biggest cheap shot artist in the game, Matt Cooke, exactly the same way they did when he ended Savard's carer.

As you say, no need to come to our board to spout off your nonsense.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
  #77
Smash88
Registered User
 
Smash88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 500
I'm loving all the Pens fans with Matt Cooke avatars all of a sudden.. These are the same guys saying the Sens org is classless...

Smash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:07 PM
  #78
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
How one can say that after what he did to Savard is beyond me.
What about Mike Richards then?

Both hits, at the time, were legal. I did not like the hit (and they changed the rules, for the good) but it was legal, unfortunately.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
  #79
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
How one can say that after what he did to Savard is beyond me.
Tell me how this is any different than the Cooke hit.


MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:08 PM
  #80
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,217
vCash: 500
Reading the thread on the Pens board is amazing, I highly recommend you do it for the laughs. I know the majority of their fans are new, but some of the posts...

Guy saying Neil only fights guys smaller
Guy *****ing about Sutton hit on Leopold calling it a clear charge
Really ******** guy calling Alfredsson a dirty punk
Calling the coach classless

Neil still has never been suspended, that never gets old, and apparently pisses them off more than anything. They want him to be compared to Cooke so bad it's cute. Think they shed more tears than we did strangely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Tell me how this is any different than the Cooke hit.
Neil stands up for himself, doesn't wait months until the issue is forced, but Neil actually has balls so this is to be expected.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:10 PM
  #81
BringBackChara
Registered User
 
BringBackChara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Reading the thread on the Pens board is amazing, I highly recommend you do it for the laughs. I know the majority of their fans are new, but some of the posts...

Guy saying Neil only fights guys smaller
Guy *****ing about Sutton hit on Leopold calling it a clear charge
Really ******** guy calling Alfredsson a dirty punk
Calling the coach classless

Neil still has never been suspended, that never gets old, and apparently pisses them off more than anything. They want him to be compared to Cooke so bad it's cute. Think they shed more tears than we did strangely...
Someone should post a picture of Neil fighting Chara then him letting up on Chara after taking him down. The guy is fearless and will fight anyone.

BringBackChara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:11 PM
  #82
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackChara View Post
Someone should post a picture of Neil fighting Chara then him letting up on Chara after taking him down. The guy is fearless and will fight anyone.
Honestly, they already have the reputation as one of the least intelligent and logical fan bases, I think I'd prefer those posts keep up so the rest of the teams' fans can keep enjoying it.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:15 PM
  #83
18Hossa
Registered User
 
18Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
So tempting to post in their thread but i dont feel like getting an infraction/banned.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
  #84
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Reading the thread on the Pens board is amazing, I highly recommend you do it for the laughs. I know the majority of their fans are new, but some of the posts...

Guy saying Neil only fights guys smaller
Guy *****ing about Sutton hit on Leopold calling it a clear charge
Really ******** guy calling Alfredsson a dirty punk
Calling the coach classless

Neil still has never been suspended, that never gets old, and apparently pisses them off more than anything. They want him to be compared to Cooke so bad it's cute. Think they shed more tears than we did strangely...



Neil stands up for himself, doesn't wait months until the issue is forced, but Neil actually has balls so this is to be expected.
We're talking about the hit itself. Talking about standing up for yourself AFTER an incident has nothing to do with what Neil did to Drury. It was the exact same hit.

Cooke knew what he did wrong on Savard, and he basically went up to Thornton the next game, and dropped the gloves knowing he was overmatched. Not quite the same thing as having to stand up for yourself over an accident.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:18 PM
  #85
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
So tempting to post in their thread but i dont feel like getting an infraction/banned.
Don't do it, it might be contagious. We may not be the best of the bunch, but at least we can comment on hockey before 2005 without embarrassing ourselves.

Seriously, when was Vermette ever a hated player as someone cited? Hated by our fanbase for never breaking out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Cooke knew what he did wrong on Savard, and he basically went up to Thornton the next game, and dropped the gloves knowing he was overmatched.
Actually Thornton tried to get him to take off the helmet since Cooke has a visor and obviously Cooke refused. Can't even do that right or honourably.

After the Kane fight though, I don't think anyone is wondering why he wanted to keep the shield on.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:22 PM
  #86
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Don't do it, it might be contagious. We may not be the best of the bunch, but at least we can comment on hockey before 2005 without embarrassing ourselves.

Seriously, when was Vermette ever a hated player as someone cited? Hated by our fanbase for never breaking out?



Actually Thornton tried to get him to take off the helmet since Cooke has a visor and obviously Cooke refused. Can't even do that right or honourably.

After the Kane fight though, I don't think anyone is wondering why he wanted to keep the shield on.
No comment about the hit? Unfortunately for you, I'm not one of the "unintelligent" ones, so I'm still waiting.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:23 PM
  #87
18Hossa
Registered User
 
18Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
No comment about the hit? Unfortunately for you, I'm not one of the "unintelligent" ones, so I'm still waiting.
Ur avatar fits Crosby and Malkin perfect lol.

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
  #88
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
No comment about the hit? Unfortunately for you, I'm not one of the "unintelligent" ones, so I'm still waiting.
What about the hit? The Neil hit wasn't the one that brought along serious rule changes to the game.

Might be a better idea to ask the guy who actually brought up the hit. I hate Cooke for the knee on knee hit that ended Shean Donovan's career a lot more than a hit on Marc Savard, personally.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
  #89
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
What about the hit? The Neil hit wasn't the one that brought along serious rule changes to the game.

Might be a better idea to ask the guy who actually brought up the hit. I hate Cooke for the knee on knee hit that ended Shean Donovan's career a lot more than a hit on Marc Savard, personally.
But it was the exact same hit, and you're essentially confirming that by trying to skirt around the issue.

And if you're going to blast a fanbase about unintelligent posts, I want you to scroll back a few pages to the guy that said Crosby ordered Cooke to slice EK because he was stealing the limelight.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
  #90
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
But it was the exact same hit, and you're essentially confirming that by trying to skirt around the issue.
No it was not the exact same hit. I'm not skirting around anything (like you did with my most recent post, but that might also be a reading comprehension issue), I honestly don't care about either hit. They were definitely similar. When your argument is comparing one Neil hit to one Cooke hit to try and make them seem similar, a guy with 0 suspensions and a guy with countless suspensions, it says a lot about the strength of your argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And if you're going to blast a fanbase about unintelligent posts, I want you to scroll back a few pages to the guy that said Crosby ordered Cooke to slice EK because he was stealing the limelight.
What exactly does that have to do with the reputation of Pens fans? If you want to get technical, I already commented on that when I said "we're not a perfect bunch..."

Between that and your recollection that Pens fans were "calm" about the Steckel hit, I can tell you right now you're absolutely in the group I was referring to.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
  #91
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
No it was not the exact same hit. I'm not skirting around anything (like you did with my most recent post, but that might also be a reading comprehension issue), I honestly don't care about either hit. They were definitely similar. When your argument is comparing one Neil hit to one Cooke hit to try and make them seem similar, a guy with 0 suspensions and a guy with countless suspensions, it says a lot about the strength of your argument.



What exactly does that have to do with the reputation of Pens fans? If you want to get technical, I already commented on that when I said "we're not a perfect bunch..."

Between that and your recollection that Pens fans were "calm" about the Steckel hit, I can tell you right now you're absolutely in the group I was referring to.
My point in bringing up the Neil hit is the constant drone that he's "clean". He's not Cooke, but he's had his own incidents, including giving Grabovski the Steckel.

And speaking of the Steckel hit, at worse it was 50/50 within the fanbase. Nobody started a "let's hate the Caps thread". And to stay on subject, the ORGANIZATION, from the players to the coach and further on up, didn't once say the hit on Crosby was on purpose. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the Sens organization.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
  #92
The Expert
Registered Expert
 
The Expert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Jersey
Posts: 11,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
My point in bringing up the Neil hit is the constant drone that he's "clean". He's not Cooke, but he's had his own incidents, including giving Grabovski the Steckel.
Personally, he's far, far, far from clean. I say this as a guy with a Neil jersey (amongst others, but I like the guy clearly). I don't want him to be clean. If he's clean as a whistle, he becomes so much less valuable. Need a guy willing to occasionally cross the line a bit.

Where we differ is in our views on how good/bad they are at teetering on the line. That's sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And speaking of the Steckel hit, at worse it was 50/50 within the fanbase. Nobody started a "let's hate the Caps thread". And to stay on subject, the ORGANIZATION, from the players to the coach and further on up, didn't once say the hit on Crosby was on purpose. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the Sens organization.
Not buying the 50/50 split personally. It's not as if there was no animosity before the play, the Sens and Pens haven't liked each other at all since the back to back first round series'. I know between my friends and I, before the Karlsson incident the Pens were already in our top 3 hated teams, though admittedly permanently behind Toronto and Montreal.

Point is, everyone over-reacts. After the things Lemieux has said, the Pens fans *****ing about the Sens organization from top to bottom is stupid, a big dick waving competition.

Not to mention, do you think that might have anything to do with comparing Steckel and Cooke? If Steckel had half the history, actually even 1/20th the history, you can bet it would have been different. Actually, how do you think it would have been had it been Neil? That's what I thought.

Pens fans really shouldn't use the hypocrite word ever, either. Claiming they called the Steckel incident accidental and then citing the Neil bump on Grabovski as a reason he's dirty. Does that make you hypocritical hypocrites?

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:00 PM
  #93
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
My point in bringing up the Neil hit is the constant drone that he's "clean". He's not Cooke, but he's had his own incidents, including giving Grabovski the Steckel.

And speaking of the Steckel hit, at worse it was 50/50 within the fanbase. Nobody started a "let's hate the Caps thread". And to stay on subject, the ORGANIZATION, from the players to the coach and further on up, didn't once say the hit on Crosby was on purpose. Unfortunately I can't say the same thing about the Sens organization.
Good point. I don't like it when teams do that because in the end, it accomplishes absolutely nothing. Melnyk and Murray were pretty unprofessional. That's not an example to set for the fans.

I think we should realize that while Neil has never been suspended, he has had questionable plays in his career. He's obviously a much, much cleaner player than Cooke though.

I thought calling Cooke a "goon" and "dime a dozen" player was pretty outrageous. Cooke was pretty classy with his response to it. Good for him.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:07 PM
  #94
MtlPenFan
Registered User
 
MtlPenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Personally, he's far, far, far from clean. I say this as a guy with a Neil jersey (amongst others, but I like the guy clearly). I don't want him to be clean. If he's clean as a whistle, he becomes so much less valuable. Need a guy willing to occasionally cross the line a bit.

Where we differ is in our views on how good/bad they are at teetering on the line. That's sports.



Not buying the 50/50 split personally. It's not as if there was no animosity before the play, the Sens and Pens haven't liked each other at all since the back to back first round series'. I know between my friends and I, before the Karlsson incident the Pens were already in our top 3 hated teams, though admittedly permanently behind Toronto and Montreal.

Point is, everyone over-reacts. After the things Lemieux has said, the Pens fans *****ing about the Sens organization from top to bottom is stupid, a big dick waving competition.

Not to mention, do you think that might have anything to do with comparing Steckel and Cooke? If Steckel had half the history, actually even 1/20th the history, you can bet it would have been different. Actually, how do you think it would have been had it been Neil? That's what I thought.
And after what Lemieux said, like it or not they actually "rehabbed" Cooke instead of pawning him off to some other team that probably wouldn't have done the same. Like it or not, he's a different player now.

There were more than a fair share of arguments over the Steckel hit amongst ourselves. I was more of the opinion that it was "accidentally on purpose", but I never looked at it as any sort of malicious attempt to end a career.

Regardless, fans are supposed to be silly. An entire organization coming out and doing the same is another thing altogether.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:26 PM
  #95
Jorge Garcia
Registered User
 
Jorge Garcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Tell me how this is any different than the Cooke hit.

Let me count the ways.
Cooke hit was to the head, Neil on Drury was shoulder to the body. (Drury got cut on the OPPOSITE side of the face when he hit the ice.)
Cooke hit was very late. Neil hit Drury immediately after he released a shot, which hadn't even reached the goal line when Drury hit the ice.
Savard was minding his own business, hit was a gratuitous assault. Neil hit was a defensive play on a player who had the puck and a clear path to the net.
Cooke is a notorious, oft-suspended cheapshot artist. Neil has a completely empty rap sheet: a hard, mean, but clean hitter.

Jorge Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:11 PM
  #96
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev
 
SixthSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,188
vCash: 500
Pens fans, tread carefully.

Please use the report button if you feel someone is trolling.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
  #97
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity
 
Tyskie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Reading the thread on the Pens board is amazing, I highly recommend you do it for the laughs. I know the majority of their fans are new, but some of the posts...

Guy saying Neil only fights guys smaller
Guy *****ing about Sutton hit on Leopold calling it a clear charge
Really ******** guy calling Alfredsson a dirty punk
Calling the coach classless
My favorite are the people who still bring up the bike interviews from the Martin days. How was that ever an issue in the first place?

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
  #98
the doctor
Registered User
 
the doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
Quote:
"We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players," the Hockey Hall of Famer said in his statement. "We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action.

"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."
I guess the biggest hypocrite in the game is still re-thinking...

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #99
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN
 
Novak Djokovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
I guess the biggest hypocrite in the game is still re-thinking...
I remember that Ray Shero came out publicly and said that if Cooke does something like this again (his hit on McDonagh), he will be out of the team (and quite possibly the league).

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
  #100
vdB
Registered User
 
vdB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0waePHWjVGY

Look at 1:29 to 1:32, Cooke is trying to strike Wings goalie, Chris Osgood, with his skate! But, few people on here other than Sens fans think that his swipe of his skate on Karlsson was intentional?!? No chance at all, you say?
Wow that video really opened my eyes. lol 5 mins of non-stop cheap shots. I knew he was bad, but damn....

vdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.