HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

"Off-side" or "Off-sides"

View Poll Results: Do you say "off-side" or "off-sides"? As in: "The play is off-side/off-sid
Off-side 89 80.18%
Off-sides 22 19.82%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 04:04 PM
  #1
stish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where I Am
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
"Off-side" or "Off-sides"

What do you say?

1) "The play is off-side."
2) "The play is off-sides."

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:10 PM
  #2
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
"Off-side," because that's what it is. "Off-sides" isn't a word. Even if it somehow is, the NHL rules says "off-side."

__________________
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
  #3
stish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where I Am
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
"Off-side," because that's what it is. "Off-sides" isn't a word. Even if it somehow is, the NHL rules says "off-side."
I agree. Apparently some don't.


Last edited by stish: 02-18-2013 at 04:26 PM.
stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:17 PM
  #4
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
"Off-side," because that's what it is. "Off-sides" isn't a word. Even if it somehow is, the NHL rules says "off-side."
Offsides doesn't even make sense. There's only one side a player can go off on.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:24 PM
  #5
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 45,263
vCash: 270
What?

Offside...

Izzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
  #6
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,822
vCash: 500
I've always said offsides out of habit, even though it's technically offside.

I do the same thing with the Stanley Cup Final. It's the Finals to me.

Takes too much effort to change it considering it's such a small detail.

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:26 PM
  #7
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midtown Phoenix
Country: France
Posts: 60,444
vCash: 100
Offside, because the origin of the term was from early forms of soccer where it was not permitted to be in front of the ball. A player in an illegal position was said to be "off his side", therefore the plural "offsides" makes no sense.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:27 PM
  #8
crowi
Registered Plug
 
crowi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Even as a non-english speaker I say "off-side". Who says "off-sides"?

crowi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
  #9
Crisp Breakout
Registered User
 
Crisp Breakout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,784
vCash: 500
I say offsides, but I also say "Alls you have to do..."

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
  #10
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
Even as a non-english speaker I say "off-side". Who says "off-sides"?
Apparently some Americans.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
  #11
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I've always said offsides out of habit, even though it's technically offside.

I do the same thing with the Stanley Cup Final. It's the Finals to me.

Takes too much effort to change it considering it's such a small detail.
The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:34 PM
  #12
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one
I did admit it, but I don't care to fix it because it's not a big deal. I doubt anyone even notices in conversation.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
  #13
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,824
vCash: 500
Offside.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
  #14
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I did admit it, but I don't care to fix it because it's not a big deal. I doubt anyone even notices in conversation.
I honestly notice it every time I hear/read it.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
  #15
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
I did admit it, but I don't care to fix it because it's not a big deal. I doubt anyone even notices in conversation.
I'm sure they notice and talk to you behind your back about it.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:37 PM
  #16
jeffl97
Registered User
 
jeffl97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
I can't believe this is a big deal.

jeffl97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:38 PM
  #17
stish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where I Am
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I honestly notice it every time I hear/read it.
Yup, it bugs me too. Not a big deal but it's like saying "Touchdowns! Adrian Peterson!"

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:39 PM
  #18
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
I honestly notice it every time I hear/read it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I'm sure they notice and talk to you behind your back about it.
Maybe people do notice, but do you really think they'd hold it against me?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:40 PM
  #19
MessierII
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
Yup, it bugs me too. Not a big deal but it's like saying "Touchdowns! Adrian Peterson!"
That's a good comparison. Yanks would flip on us if we started saying that.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:42 PM
  #20
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Kane One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,547
vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Maybe people do notice, but do you really think they'd hold it against me?
Well there's always one dick that will, but I always notice it but don't really care.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
  #21
Primrose Everdeen
Shake it Off
 
Primrose Everdeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midtown Phoenix
Country: France
Posts: 60,444
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
I can't believe this is a big deal.
It isn't, not to me at least. If someone says "offsides" I don't really care. Considering how many grammar/syntax errors the average English speaker (hell, it's not exclusive to English either) makes in everyday conversation, "offsides" being technically incorrect pales in comparison to all their other mistakes.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:44 PM
  #22
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker McDonald View Post
Well there's always one dick that will, but I always notice it but don't really care.
And I think most people would view it that way, that's why I've always just stuck with offsides, which for some reason, and I don't really know why, just feels more natural.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
  #23
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,594
vCash: 515
I say and type it wrong from time to time, I will admit that. Offside is the correct term, but I attach the s without thinking about it.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:46 PM
  #24
dss97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Off-side. And no, "off-sides" isn't the 'Merican way of saying it.

dss97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:47 PM
  #25
stish
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where I Am
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
And I think most people would view it that way, that's why I've always just stuck with offsides, which for some reason, and I don't really know why, just feels more natural.
You're so wrong and I hate you!

stish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.