HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending discussion thread (edit: Markstrom called up)

Old
02-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Erick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
the trolls timing is convenient - as Markstrom's save % has been higher than DGM's all season up until this week. ignore him.

i'd honestly even be willing to give DGM a shot. that's how bad our goaltending has been. why not? if he stinks at the NHL level, it'll be no different than what we've had so far anyway...especially clemmensen. and sometimes all goalies need is a chance - look at Fasth in Anaheim.

promoting DGM would just be "throwing **** up against a wall and hoping something sticks" type of logic, but considering the **** we've thrown against the wall this year hasn't stuck, why not try someone else? anyone else?

not saying DGM should be promoted over Markstrom obviously, but at this point, if they're intent on babying Marky, then try something else. DGM's numbers have been very good in the AHL. maybe it will translate - maybe not. what would we have to lose? can't be worse than clemmensen.

I was hoping before the year that that would happen actually. I said it when Clemmensen signed that I bet DGM isn't much worse than him (if at all), and it was probably just a waste of money.

Worst-case scenario, DGM would've struggled like Clemmensen is currently struggling, and we would've just called up Markstrom without the pressure of paying Clemmer's cap hit the rest of the way.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:00 PM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Feeding markstrom to the wolves like this is ENORMOUS pressure for a 23 year old goalie. I dont call him up in this situation. I think the Panthers should just go with what they have unless some upgrade came along.

Ciao! The things has heaten up pretty much since last time i visit!

Markstrom played 3 games when he was 19 years old at the Wc for men! He has waited long enough to get his chance and now when the other 2 goalies plays crappy, he doesnt get a call!

Strange message to send, when hes Rfa and everything in the summer!

Khabby and a second pick for Markstrom

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Ciao! The things has heaten up pretty much since last time i visit!

Markstrom played 3 games when he was 19 years old at the Wc for men! He has waited long enough to get his chance and now when the other 2 goalies plays crappy, he doesnt get a call!

Strange message to send, when hes Rfa and everything in the summer!

Khabby and a second pick for Markstrom
Not a chance

02-17-2013, 07:31 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Not a chance
But he makes the point the kids an rfa soon and there are people who still want to baby him...

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
But he makes the point the kids an rfa soon and there are people who still want to baby him...
Well dammit, he's got me then! Lol

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Well dammit, he's got me then! Lol
Rofl.

Old
02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
it's actually shocking to me how much people want to baby a 23 year-old...especially a guy who people have been calling the best goalie outside of the nhl for the last 2-3 years. it's getting ridiculous

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:14 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
it's actually shocking to me how much people want to baby a 23 year-old...especially a guy who people have been calling the best goalie outside of the nhl for the last 2-3 years. it's getting ridiculous
The RFA situation is not a concern for anyone who is being reasonable. Tallon will sign him.

And it's not about babying him. Issue number one is money which we've gone over. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. But another issue is that we didn't have a proper training camp where Markstrom could have earned/stolen/proven the job should go to him and Tallon could make arrangements to move Clemmer/theo. He also was coming back from a knee injury so he was likely spending time in the AHL anyway. anyone who knows how you develop players knows his time down there has been nothing but a good experience for fine tuning his game. For once we've started developing prospects the way you're supposed to. He's really only NHL ready very recently, not 2/3 years. Nobody is babying him.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 09:29 PM
Benched

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
The RFA situation is not a concern for anyone who is being reasonable. Tallon will sign him.

And it's not about babying him. Issue number one is money which we've gone over. I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. But another issue is that we didn't have a proper training camp where Markstrom could have earned/stolen/proven the job should go to him and Tallon could make arrangements to move Clemmer/theo. He also was coming back from a knee injury so he was likely spending time in the AHL anyway. anyone who knows how you develop players knows his time down there has been nothing but a good experience for fine tuning his game. For once we've started developing prospects the way you're supposed to. He's really only NHL ready very recently, not 2/3 years. Nobody is babying him.
I agree with you that he hasn't been babied. Maybe if he hadn't had the knee injury and still didn't get the first shot at at least backing up this year, yeah. But like you said, since he was likely spending time down there anyways and with the money we had locked up with Clem, it made sense at the beginning of the year. Theo/Clem led us to the playoffs last year. With an injured Markstrom, that was the only proper thing to do.

However, he's healthy now. Clemmensen sucks. We're probably out of the playoffs. It's time.

Oh, and there's no doubt in my mind Tallon will sign him.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:00 AM
joe89

Saw this thread and stopped by, interesting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
Feeding markstrom to the wolves like this is ENORMOUS pressure for a 23 year old goalie. I dont call him up in this situation. I think the Panthers should just go with what they have unless some upgrade came along.
This is a guy who's played in the Ivan Hlinka final, WJC final, World Champs, and saved his SEL team's butt from getting relegated in a relegation series. All before age 20. He has played NHL games and done fine with them. I would like to think this is a guy who is used to pressure situations and can handle whatever is throwed his way.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:09 AM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

To all who dont think he is prepared for it...

The defense in SA isnt any better than FLAs defense but the goalie is better than our duo right now here!

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post

This is a guy who's played in the Ivan Hlinka final, WJC final, World Champs, and saved his SEL team's butt from getting relegated in a relegation series. All before age 20. He has played NHL games and done fine with them. I would like to think this is a guy who is used to pressure situations and can handle whatever is throwed his way.
Pretty much. It's a shame the only person who doesn't seem to think so is out GM

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Haj

Call up Robak.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:45 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
Call up Robak.
I thought you wanted the defense to get better?

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:56 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Not much can be worse than an aging Filip Kuba or Ed Jovanovski.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:08 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post

There is not a person with actual knowledge of Markstrom's experience and talent level that doesn't agree he's NHL ready.

This thread is not about anymore whether he should be brought up but the reasons why he's not, right or wrong.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:34 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Quote:
Is Robak so bad on Defense?

Old
02-18-2013, 07:29 PM
RampageNate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
Is Robak so bad on Defense?
He's not NHL ready defensively. It's his weakness.

He's a good skater, makes a great first pass, and is a good PP defenseman.

However, he is positionally unsound and a poor decision maker at times. He is often caught up the ice and has to use his go-go-gadget stick to prevent breakaways. Something that will be much harder once he's playing against NHL speed.

He's a good overall player but he is not the player I would want called up if my NHL team was needing a defensive boost.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 PM
Sticks of Fury

Season is short.

If management doesn't want to shake things up. Just go for Seth Jones.

Keep on playing like they are now.

Who cares about a winning culture or attitude!

If management doesn't care, why should the players.

Sticks of Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:29 PM
RampageNate

According to @NHLFREEAGENTS on Twitter, which tweets nothing but confirmed roster moves, Brian Foster has been assigned to San Antonio. There would be no reason for this (barring an injury to Markstrom) other than someone is getting called up, IMO.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:43 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
According to @NHLFREEAGENTS on Twitter, which tweets nothing but confirmed roster moves, Brian Foster has been assigned to San Antonio. There would be no reason for this (barring an injury to Markstrom) other than someone is getting called up, IMO.
interesting.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Nice! We shall see.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

Could be the best news I heard all day

Old
02-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
I agree with you that he hasn't been babied. Maybe if he hadn't had the knee injury and still didn't get the first shot at at least backing up this year, yeah. But like you said, since he was likely spending time down there anyways and with the money we had locked up with Clem, it made sense at the beginning of the year. Theo/Clem led us to the playoffs last year. With an injured Markstrom, that was the only proper thing to do.

However, he's healthy now. Clemmensen sucks. We're probably out of the playoffs. It's time.

Oh, and there's no doubt in my mind Tallon will sign him.
If the Canucks trade Luongo or Schneider they might offer sheet him. How much is a 2nd rounder worth? a 3 mil contract?

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

We play 3 games in 68 hours. If theyre going to give Markstrom a showing, this would be the time.

Hope he comes in and pitches a shutout. Even if he gives up 5, rather see the future do it than the past.