HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
02-10-2013, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Got out to shoot for about 2 hours outside, first time in two years actually. We've had warm and crappy weather. Anyways, I shot close to 1,000 pucks, so got some good time to compare them.

Warrior Covert DT2 - Kopitar 55 flex
Just didn't feel comfortable at all with this one. Felt way too short. I've been shooting with my bottom hand lower, keeping my hands further apart, and this wasn't extended. Not really a fair test I suppose. But everything felt very off. Honestly I haven't used this stick much at all in weeks.

Miken Z9 - P14 65 flex
This one felt a bit short as well, but shots felt very solid. Left-to-right accuracy is excellent. Shots go a little lower as the loft is neutral until the toe and I shoot from the mid. A bit hard feeling, not soft, with the puck. I get the feeling the P14 is kind of a compromise curve, I like it overall and maybe more if I was playing defense, but then the blade is short and the toe tiny so it's not a great curve for board play.

Two piece, Easton SE16 75 flex + Base 4.75 lie Drury
The Easton shaft is big and boxy compared to all my intermediates, but I love how it flexes. It feels a lot like the Nexus in that it flexes all over, up top, down low, and whippier than rated. Of course the Drury just helps sling rockets. This was the longest stick I used, and I couldn't do my usual push-pull wrist shot as much but did a lot of pure snap shots, where you drive through with the bottom hand but without the wind up of a slapper. And that meant harder shots. I did so many that I got a good feel for them and think it's really going to help my game. I still need to work on them so I can fire them without thinking. But towards the end the blade got a little loose, so I switched.

Fun times shooting pucks outside, I missed it. I put a 1" longer plug in the Miken and put a 2" plug in my "old" Nexus 600 to bring it up to length. I want to play again today but there's freezing rain...so maybe I'll run to the hardware store and shore up my basement shooting tarp.

Also painted my old TPS R2 tapered shaft, converted from one piece...great kick to it but a super whippy 60 flex. Sprayed the top half black and the bottom and wood blade white. Looks like my Miken. Got my goofy wood Forsberg in it. Actually mellowed out the toe and now it's really close to a P106, maybe a bit smoother curve overall. Dunno if/when I'll shoot it though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Chadley
The Big Dirty

Recently bought the Warrior Covert DT1 (Zetterberg, 85 flex) I cut it down about 4-5 inches. This stick compared to my Nexus 1000 is alot more blade heavy. However, I love the way the puck feels with the stiffer blade. Took sometime to adjust recieving pucks, but once I got the hang of it..everything was gold. I'm more of a playmaker per say. I probably only take 1 or 2 shots a game. I do find myself shooting alot more with the DT1 than my Nexus, or X60. The way the puck comes off the blade is remarkable. Truly enjoying this stick.

Chadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Warrior blades have maybe the best feel on the market right now. Well, I haven't used a Total One NXG or Nexus 1000, but the Warriors have excellent puck feel.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
Chadley
The Big Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Warrior blades have maybe the best feel on the market right now. Well, I haven't used a Total One NXG or Nexus 1000, but the Warriors have excellent puck feel.
I'm seeing why they're considered one of the best in the market. The puck feel is night and day between my DT1, and both my Bauer sticks.

This is my first low kick stick, and I'm enjoying it so far. I do feel like I get my shots off quicker. I've even had some goalies come up to me and ask if I've been getting some coaching. I have been trying to improve my shooting mechanics, so hopefully that has something to do with it lol.

In all, I know the stick doesn't make you a better player. I just feel so confident with this twig in my hands. My shots per game has gone up since buying this stick. I've had this stick for a month. In that span I've scored the same amount of goals then all of last year (5).

Last Year: 5 Goals, 47 assists
This Year (Before DT1) 2 Goals, 28 assists
This Year (After DT1) 5 Goals, 10 assists

Chadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:00 PM
MJAYK

I'm using the CCM U+ Crazy Strong 65 flex.

I friggin' love it. It's very light and durable. My wristers and snappers are out of this world and i wont change it for anything as long as they keep making this stick.

Only minus i would give is that with the whippy 65 flex, it's sometimes a handful to receive a really hard pass without the puck bouncing off your blade.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 537
Quote:
"Flex Free" just means the stick has a really low kickpoint. Can't get around the physics of changing torque.
Flex Free in terms of the Sherwood sticks is that the advertised flex starts 2 inches down from the top of the shaft.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 07:59 PM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
I have a few Warrior Evo blades and they are fantastic. I have one in my TPS Red Lite shaft and it's great.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 07:50 PM
OpenIceHit42

I gave the Getzlaf pattern a try about a year ago and absolutely hated it. Puck was knuckling off of my blade when I'd let a shot go.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Tried the 55 flex Warrior again last night, just no can do. Love the weight and puck feel but all my shots torque off target. Same as before, high and wide. Switched to my Miken and had a goal within the first couple shifts.

Won't have any money for a long time (saving for a wedding and house down payment) but if I did it would be going up to a 77 flex Nexus 1000 or a 67-75 flex APX. Found a couple (ridiculously expensive) APX's and the flex is just perfect, just too much money.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:43 AM
MJAYK

Despite my love for the CCM U+ CS, i couldn't resist buying two Easton 85S II's.

Got them today and went to the rink to try one out. Great stick. It's quite a bit stiffer than the 65 flex CCM equivalent i have. It performed on slapshots alot better because of that. Snapshots were also great. I've heard the Easton is not a very durable stick but i rarely break sticks to begin with.

Very happy with my purchase!

Old
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMerc View Post
Flex Free in terms of the Sherwood sticks is that the advertised flex starts 2 inches down from the top of the shaft.

it just means either the stick is made two inches longer than other of the same flex, ir the flex is marked for how stiff it will be when two inches are cut off

either way it will play softer than the flex listed on the stick if you use it without modifying it

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:39 PM
MuffinMerc
Business. Numbers!

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
it just means either the stick is made two inches longer than other of the same flex, ir the flex is marked for how stiff it will be when two inches are cut off

either way it will play softer than the flex listed on the stick if you use it without modifying it
Yeah, I know that. My point being I wished more companies did that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Despite my love for the CCM U+ CS, i couldn't resist buying two Easton 85S II's.

Got them today and went to the rink to try one out. Great stick. It's quite a bit stiffer than the 65 flex CCM equivalent i have. It performed on slapshots alot better because of that. Snapshots were also great. I've heard the Easton is not a very durable stick but i rarely break sticks to begin with.

Very happy with my purchase!
The Stealth sticks always seem to break at the blade. I love my 75S II, but when it breaks I think I will switch to a cheaper 2 piece set up. I wish we had the 85S II where I live.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:39 AM
MJAYK

Quote:

The Stealth sticks always seem to break at the blade. I love my 75S II, but when it breaks I think I will switch to a cheaper 2 piece set up. I wish we had the 85S II where I live.
Good to know. Gonna keep an eye on the blade when taking the tape off. I got these sticks pretty cheap from Sweden (104.95€ per stick) when the retail price for these sticks in both Finland and Sweden is 179€.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:26 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Yeah, I know that. My point being I wished more companies did that.
or companies just mark the flex appropriately. if they are making stick with less flex mark it that was instead of calling it a "flex free" zone

Old
02-19-2013, 11:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Until there's a standardized method of measuring flex it really doesn't matter.

Old
02-19-2013, 05:12 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Until there's a standardized method of measuring flex it really doesn't matter.
no but if someone is comfortable with a certain brand's flex, it would be a start

Old
02-20-2013, 10:04 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
no but if someone is comfortable with a certain brand's flex, it would be a start
Good point; I would even extend that to stick line within a brand.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:17 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Good point; I would even extend that to stick line within a brand.
good point as well. i know with bauer 87 flex between the APX, T1 and NXG feel completely different

Old
02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got a little ice time last night. Would have been more but I left my pucks at home when I got to the rink so had to run back, and then some little kids took over the rink.

Brought the P14, P92, and the opened up Forsberg. Found the Forsberg easy to control but puck wobbled a bit while shooting, not as much power. P92 puck was wild, shots were a bit wide, a little harder to control overall. P14 was a nice compromise but I wish it was a little longer, there's almost a narrow sweet spot where it opens and curves. When the puck is in there, it's awesome for passing and shooting, very controlled, nice lift on the puck. Outside it, you flub.

It would be nice to try a less open mid curve, like the old Warrior Robitaille, but I don't know that anyone makes something like that anymore. It had a bit more curve and was a bit more open than the P88 and Kovalchuk curves.

Old
02-23-2013, 10:40 AM
special blend

I have used a ton of sticks over the years. I recently got a Sherwood T100 and I am amazed. Half the price of top end sticks and very comparable performance. Stick is light and balanced really well, has good puck feel and shooting is very impressive. I couldn't recommend this stick more for those that haven't given it a look.

special blend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by special blend View Post
I have used a ton of sticks over the years. I recently got a Sherwood T100 and I am amazed. Half the price of top end sticks and very comparable performance. Stick is light and balanced really well, has good puck feel and shooting is very impressive. I couldn't recommend this stick more for those that haven't given it a look.
Sherwood has done a really good job with both the T100 and Nexon 12 of balancing quality and price. Both are easily better than anything in that price range and both can challenge the top end sticks in performance.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I've been using a pro stock RS2 for my last few skates after predominantly using mid kick sticks. It is the best shooting stick I've ever used. The release is super quick and the puck just launches off. I usually stay away from Easton because the blades go soft but this one has remained strong through an all-night 7 game 3v3 tourney and about 5 pickups and a game. Obviously I will want it to continue to hold up, but so far so good without any signs of quitting.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Quote:
Miken Z9 - P14 65 flex
This one felt a bit short as well, but shots felt very solid. Left-to-right accuracy is excellent. Shots go a little lower as the loft is neutral until the toe and I shoot from the mid. A bit hard feeling, not soft, with the puck. I get the feeling the P14 is kind of a compromise curve, I like it overall and maybe more if I was playing defense, but then the blade is short and the toe tiny so it's not a great curve for board play.
If you remember Jarick, I picked up a Z9 P88 per your recommendation. First off, I only had a chance to shoot around with the stick and pass with a couple buddies, but I love the stick. Puck seems to fly off the stick accurately with both shots and passes.

I finally got to actually play with it today, just a 3 v 3 O-zone posts get together. I had not even noticed the blade being short and toe tiny until playing. Countless times I picked my head up and the puck just dribbled off the toe or I ended up toeing a pass or shot. Just very frustrating, but something I'm sure I will get used to the more I play with it.

Thanks again for the recommendation, just when I read your review I thought it was funny because I came here to post your exact statement.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 02-24-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
jaysoneil

Granted I've been out of the game for a while, but so far I'm loving my Z9 - BP88 70 flex. Guy from Total Hockey recommended it as it was on sale for half off. For not playing the last few years, it sure doesn't show while using this stick.

Does chip a lot though, but who cares about that?

jaysoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2013, 10:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Think I'm going to try and track down a Warrior Vanek blade again. Very little curve, gradually opens up from the heel, just a very mild toe curve on it, longer, 5-ish lie.