HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Rumor Thread III: "Trade 40 goal scorer for picks= Cup contenders" edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 05:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

vCash: 500
McKenzie just said "the New York Rangers would love to get O'Reilly but they have McDonagh coming up, Stepan coming up..."

Old
02-18-2013, 05:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bob McKenzie was a guest on NHL Live. He was asked about Ryan O'Reilly. Bob said the Rangers would love to get O'Reilly. He pointed to the cap being set at $64.3M next season and the Rangers own group IIs as reasons why its a tough trade to make. The Avs want a roster player plus a top prospect. Getting and wanting are two different things. O'Reilly may or may not have been asked to be traded.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:48 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

The Rangers cannot afford RoR with McDonagh and Stepan due for new contracts. It just can't happen. You could make the argument for trading Gaborik or buying out Richards but that doesn't really solve your problem because those players have to be replaced. You certainly don't have another gaborik in the minor leagues. Kreider and Miller are not ready to replace Gaborik/Richards. And whatever is on the free agent market is going to want similar money to what you were paying richards and gaborik anyways. The move for RoR does not make sense.

Sit tight and go get a veteran at the deadline who has an expiring contract.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bob McKenzie was a guest on NHL Live. He was asked about Ryan O'Reilly. Bob said the Rangers would love to get O'Reilly. He pointed to the cap being set at $64.3M next season and the Rangers own group IIs as reasons why its a tough trade to make. The Avs want a roster player plus a top prospect. Getting and wanting are two different things. O'Reilly may or may not have been asked to be traded.
Not saying in favor of but saying wondering if a creative way of getting around that would be trading Stepan + pick for Oreilly.

Thats the only way I really see this working.

Aside from that, with Nash helping immensely with Step's confidence and performance these last few games, as well as the team chemistry it would disrupt if we traded someone like Stepan (if not himself), would it even be worth it?

I love how we're always rumored for guys but i think a far more pressing position is our 6th d-man.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:55 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I still don't think Torts is all that fond of Gaborik. Hence why I feel he will be traded over the off-season.
Doesn't he have a NMC?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:00 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Jeff Gorton LOVES Chris Kreider.

The Rangers have to make a decision. Play Kreider with good offensive players or send him to the AHL. He needs to play. Chicago has Saad with Toews and Hossa.

Not saying it will take 3 years but it took Pacioretty 3 years to figure it out.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:00 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post

Rangers have a policy of not signing any of its own players to long term deals out of ELC, Staal was an exception but he gave up arbitration years and a UFA year at 5.4M.

Henrik signed a bridge deal, Cally, Dubi, Girardi, Anisimov, Sauer, Del Zotto and the latter of whom played ball like a team player, not holding out, where as ROR has. Trading a core guy after signing the way he did will cause issues with McD, Step, and Hagelin.

Oh by the way, this heart and soul player signed a 2 yr deal in the KHL with no out clause to force COL's hand into a trade, and Canadian media has reported that this has the makings of a Turris type situation, where a player demands an obscene contract to force a trade. For those clamoring to get him, please understand what has already taken place before arguing semantics, and what COL's leverage truly is.
Not necessarily. If we trade for ROR and he signs a reasonable contract I don't see it being an issue. You said it yourself, he might be demanding a crazy contract as a way of getting out of Colorado. If he comes here and follows the precedent set by signing a reasonable bridge deal, I would have no problems with acquiring him.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:01 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
Doesn't he have a NMC?
Limited no trade clause.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jeff Gorton LOVES Chris Kreider.

The Rangers have to make a decision. Play Kreider with good offensive players or send him to the AHL. He needs to play. Chicago has Saad with Toews and Hossa.

Not saying it will take 3 years but it took Pacioretty 3 years to figure it out.
He's terribly inconsistent. I pulled my hair out for his final 2 years here at BC. He'd disappear for 1/3 of the games he played in.

He's a difference maker but Torts is justified in trying his method to try and motivate him. I think he undoubtedly makes an impact when he plays, but I think the way that the Rangers view him and that Torts views him is someone with Rick Nash potential (in terms of being that big of a difference maker on the ice every shift) and they want a consistent level of effort from him every shift, which he doesnt necessarily offer.

Clearly he has needed to be on a better line the entire season, but I think that Torts wants him to show the effort needed before he rewards him with that role.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:06 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Not necessarily. If we trade for ROR and he signs a reasonable contract I don't see it being an issue. You said it yourself, he might be demanding a crazy contract as a way of getting out of Colorado. If he comes here and follows the precedent set by signing a reasonable bridge deal, I would have no problems with acquiring him.
2 big ifs, which are the crux of the issue with RoR.
If the pieces going back in the trade are reasonable and he signs a reasonable contract, who would have a problem with it?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
If the pieces going back in the trade are reasonable and he signs a reasonable contract, who would have a problem with it?
I'm assuming that if Sather and co. trade for ROR, it's not to welcome him with the fat contract Colorado wouldn't give him. This organization is not going to trade for a RFA and dole out a big contract.

99% sure this trade doesn't happen, but if it does, I'm sure the contract would be fine.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
And say the price doesn't include a core guy, then yes, I like the player, and I think he'd fit in well here, but only to add to the core. No team builds a core and breaks it down without a few runs at the cup, and ROR isn't the need Nash was, or even the player, but anyone would want this guy under the right conditions.

No one is arguing the on ice product that is ROR, its everything surrounding it, and this is what this discussion is really about. This is both a credit to the player ROR is, and the mess that COL finds themselves in.

I'm with the guy that says we need a 6th defenseman as a bigger need. Take a look at how the minutes are doled out in the third period with or without a lead. Lets count how many shifts the no 6 defenseman plays, and versus whom during crunch time.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
No one. Come on Glen, do what you do best. Nervous GM with a job on the line, a malcontent holdout, and a team that will bleed money without playoff gates you say?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
No one. Come on Glen, do what you do best. Nervous GM with a job on the line, a malcontent holdout, and a team that will bleed money without playoff gates you say?
I have no doubt that Sather could pull off a trade beneficial to the Rangers.

The problem here is O'Reilly's demands and what it would do to our cap situation going forward.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I still don't think Torts is all that fond of Gaborik. Hence why I feel he will be traded over the off-season.
If we do, and I think we should if the right deal is there, we should try to get Max Pacioretty. He may not score 40 like Gaborik, but I believe he could have a bigger overall impact. Has a nice contract as well. Not sure how this works for MTL though, are they willing to give up MaxPac's all-around play and big body for the extra goals Gabby brings?

The problem is that if we want a fair return for Gabby, the team we trade him to must be able to sign him to an extension immediately and have the cap space to do it. Ex: The Brent Burns trade.

Asset management.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

The problem here is O'Reilly's demands and what it would do to our cap situation going forward.
Which only reiterates what some of us have been saying for the past few days. I look at the structure of the new Subban deal, and Callahan's as the Max second year salary, and it still won't work without ROR taking ~60% less than his current demands.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:

Isn't the current consensus that ROR has turned this into a Turris situation where he gives outrageous demands to COL, but would be willing to take a lesser deal from another team?

Who is to say that he wouldn't take a 2-year $5.2M ($2.6M AAV) from the Rangers?

In any case, if ROR is traded anywhere COL and the other team will agree on a deal that is stipulated on that ROR and his new team agrees to a contract before the deal is put through. That's what happened with Turris IIRC.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Lost on a lot.

02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Isn't the current consensus that ROR has turned this into a Turris situation where he gives outrageous demands to COL, but would be willing to take a lesser deal from another team?

Who is to say that he wouldn't take a 2-year $5.2M ($2.6M AAV) from the Rangers?

In any case, if ROR is traded anywhere COL and the other team will agree on a deal that is stipulated on that ROR and his new team agrees to a contract before the deal is put through. That's what happened with Turris IIRC.
I dont think thats the consensus at all. I mean, unless you want to sugarcoat the situation.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:48 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Quote:
Although much of the recent rumors have centered around the Rangers offering Michael Del Zotto, it sounds like the Florida Panthers may also be one of the favorites.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...7#.USLLP9ko6Cg

If true, that is quite interesting

Old
02-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
I dont think thats the consensus at all. I mean, unless you want to sugarcoat the situation.
It's the most logical conclusion isn't it?

ROR and COL mgmt has fallen out and ROR has started to make outrageous demands, even rejecting a carbon copy of Duchene's contract. Duchene who had proven a lot more, and came with greater pedigree.

Everyone said Turris had his head in the clouds, but he just wanted out.

If ROR really thinks he can get the contracts he supposedly wants, he'll stay in the KHL until he comes around because noone should pay him that much at this point in his career.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
It's the most logical conclusion isn't it?

ROR and COL mgmt has fallen out and ROR has started to make outrageous demands, even rejecting a carbon copy of Duchene's contract. Duchene who had proven a lot more, and came with greater pedigree.

Everyone said Turris had his head in the clouds, but he just wanted out.

If ROR really thinks he can get the contracts he supposedly wants, he'll stay in the KHL until he comes around because noone should pay him that much at this point in his career.
I dont understand why O'Reilly would want out with the chance to play with Landeskog every night, which would only pump his value higher going forward.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
I dont understand why O'Reilly would want out with the chance to play with Landeskog every night, which would only pump his value higher going forward.
I think I read something about ROR taking offence to Shermans negotiating, using stats to show ROR that he isn't as good a player as he thinks. This might have set off the entire thing.

Think is the operative word though, I know nothing at all.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Dorado*

Piles should offer El Niņo and Hamonic . Would have ridiculous Forward depth .

Old
02-18-2013, 07:23 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Piles should offer El Niņo and Hamonic . Would have ridiculous Forward depth .
A team with a ****** defense giving up their best defenseman?

Closed Thread