Old
02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
'03 Tigers were worse.
The 2003 Tigers weren't even a pro baseball team. I'm sure there was triple A teams that would have taken them in a 7 game series.

Doctor Drej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pyatt View Post
Don't see why so many have the ChiSox finishing second. Both Royals and Tribe have made numerous improvements while the Sox were kind of stale in the offseason. It's the Tigers division to lose though.
White Sox were already ahead that's why. I don't think anybody has a lick of faith in the Indians rotation.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 08:39 PM
starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

AL
East
1. Toronto
2. Baltimore
3. New York
4. Tampa Bay
5. Boston

Central

1. Detroit
2. Chicago
3. Cleveland
4. Minnesota
5. Kansas City

West
1. Anaheim
2. Oakland
3. Texas
4. Seattle
5. Houston

NL
East
1. Washington
2. Philadelphia
3. Atlanta
4. New York
5. Miami

Central
1. Cincinnati
2. St. Louis
3. Milwaukee
4. Pittsburgh
5. Chicago

West
1. Los Angeles
2. San Francisco
3. Colorado
4. Arizona
5. San Diego

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Don't see why so many have the ChiSox finishing second. Both Royals and Tribe have made numerous improvements while the Sox were kind of stale in the offseason. It's the Tigers division to lose though.

Those two teams needed to do whatever it took. White Sox obviously didnt.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Clowe Me

Obviously not. Going 4-11 during the most crucial part of the season proves the Sox are fine and needed no improvements....

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 02:58 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Maybe that they had a rookie manager, perhaps?

Old
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
So did the Cardinals

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:08 PM
sparxx87

Quote:
I agree. If anything they got worse. The Royals got two good pitchers including an ace to bolster what was a very weak rotation. I'm not sold on Cleveland but I'll project them above the White Sox
Quote:
Or, that they just aren't very good. They're a team full of throwaways with a few exceptions. They overacheived in a weak division for most of the year before falling on their face when it came to crunch time.

Ventura did a great job with a bad team.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:13 PM
darko

Edit: NVM

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
So did the Cardinals
Who also learned under one of the greatest managers of his generation.

Ventura was doing play by play for college teams before he decided he was a MLB manager.

Apples and oranges.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Or, that they just aren't very good. They're a team full of throwaways with a few exceptions. They overacheived in a weak division for most of the year before falling on their face when it came to crunch time.

This isnt the Blue Jays, who have picked their players off of scrap heaps from others teams generosities. The White Sox are one of the two main teams in their division and have more home grown talent on their roster from excellent drafting by getting players who can help them right now instead of waiting for somebody to develop, and by actually using LA scouting to the best of its abilities. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Quote:
Ventura did a great job with a bad team.
Ventura was gift wrapped a great team for no other reason other then he was one of Jerrys favorite players.

Now, he has the experience. This is arguably the best team in the AL as od right now.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:20 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:

This isnt the Blue Jays, who have picked their players off of scrap heaps from others teams generosities. The White Sox are one of the two main teams in their division and have more home grown talent on their roster from excellent drafting by getting players who can help them right now instead of waiting for somebody to develop, and by actually using LA scouting to the best of its abilities. Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Why do you value home grown talent so much?

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:40 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Sale, Beckham, Jones, Santiago, Reed, and Morel are their only drafted, "home grown" guys on their expected roster...

Looks like they really hit it out of the park there.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:57 PM
sparxx87

Quote:

Ventura was gift wrapped a great team for no other reason other then he was one of Jerrys favorite players.

Now, he has the experience. This is arguably the best team in the AL as od right now.
Scrap heaps? I'm not sure anyone but you considers Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle or Emilio Bonifacio scraps, never mind the reigning NL Cy Young winner.

Arguably the best team in the AL? That's an argument you'll never win.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Sale, Beckham, Jones, Santiago, Reed, and Morel are their only drafted, "home grown" guys on their expected roster...

Exactly. Beyond Chris Sale, that's a group of mediocre players at best.

The White Sox were already a weak team who fell on their face in a weak division. The Tigers got better with replacing Young with Vic Martinez, the Royals improved their pitching staff significantly which was their Achilles heel, and the Indians improved their lineup a fair amount. Still not a great pitching staff, but luckily for them, they play in the same division as the Twins and White Sox and will be able to feast on a weak lineup on a pretty regular basis.

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:

You said the same thing last year, and you conveniently disappeared right when your team did.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:

Lets just forget Viciedo, Ramirez were both signed out of the DR, Jordan Danks should have a roster spot, Trayce Thompson should get a look considering the Sox just dont wait around with prospects, etc.

Hey, at least some teams put out MLB quality players thru drafting outside the top ten every year.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:04 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Scrap heaps? I'm not sure anyone but you considers Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle or Emilio Bonifacio scraps, never mind the reigning NL Cy Young winner.

I already know what Martini's going to say. Reyes is injury prone, JJ is also injury prone, Buehrle is not going to do well in AL East, Bonifacio is a back up, and Dickey had one good year.

Also, those were the players that Marlins brought to help them win which failed so he thinks it won't work out with the Blue Jays.

Then he's going to say how many 'home-grown' talents the Jays have and say how we traded away our top prospect for Dickey when he was the one who said D'Arnaud is injury prone and will never be a good player.

DennisReynolds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Obviously the respected teams did or they would still be there.
Quote:
Of course. Spring breeds enternal hope each and every year. But again, each and every year its the same teams on top of the standings.
Quote:
Exactly. Beyond Chris Sale, that's a group of mediocre players at best.
Yet, with those same mediocre players, the White Sox always seem to be in the running. Couriously.
Quote:
The White Sox were already a weak team who fell on their face in a weak division. The Tigers got better with replacing Young with Vic Martinez, the Royals improved their pitching staff significantly which was their Achilles heel, and the Indians improved their lineup a fair amount. Still not a great pitching staff, but luckily for them, they play in the same division as the Twins and White Sox and will be able to feast on a weak lineup on a pretty regular basis.
But the White Sox didnt have to re-up their team to be competitive. There in lies the honest truth.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
You said the same thing last year, and you conveniently disappeared right when your team did.
I dont remember dissapearing.

Do I know the secret to teleportation?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:15 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Lets just forget Viciedo, Ramirez were both signed out of the DR, Jordan Danks should have a roster spot, Trayce Thompson should get a look considering the Sox just dont wait around with prospects, etc.

Hey, at least some teams put out MLB quality players thru drafting outside the top ten every year.
Were Viciedo and Ramirez both home grown and drafted like I had specified? Nope.

Danks over Wise? Or both make it?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Were Viciedo and Ramirez both home grown and drafted like I had specified? Nope.
Both were "home grown" considering they didnt spend one day in another org. Drafting means nothing considering both were signed out of the DR. Home grown talent is just that, and both are.
Quote:
Danks over Wise? Or both make it?
Wise just signed a one year, will probably play 20 or so games before released and then the White Sox will pick him up again like they always seem to do. Dont see Danks not making it out of ST, but thats just my opinion, of course.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:32 PM
MurrayBannerman
Fishbulb

Quote:
Both were "home grown" considering they didnt spend one day in another org. Drafting means nothing considering both were signed out of the DR. Home grown talent is just that, and both are.
I was nit picking at their drafting, hence the specification. So, it is significant whether they were drafted or not.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
I dont remember dissapearing.

Do I know the secret to teleportation?
Well, you sure as hell weren't posting around here when the Sox's faded down the stretch.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:23 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

I seem to remember White Sox fans here claiming Martini was really a Cubs fan.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:10 AM
darko

Quote:

I'd be surprised if he was up before September.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote