HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Shoot Outs

Old
02-18-2013, 03:20 PM
stlweir

vCash: 500
Shoot Outs

It wasn't that long ago the Blues were a sure loss when it came to shoot outs. Times have changed.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Robb_K

Now, Berglund, Perron, Oshie and steen are significantly better than they were last season. Tarasenko has been added. McDonald is the same as before (good). Shattenkirk is better. Pietrangelo could even be used. They can go 8-9 deep with players that can score in a shootout.

On the goaltending side, Halak is okay. But Allen has looked much better (positioning, anticipation, reflexes). Of course, only one shootout isn't enough to see what will happen after opposing shooters can watch enough film to make a good book on him.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:55 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Now, Berglund, Perron, Oshie and steen are significantly better than they were last season. Tarasenko has been added. McDonald is the same as before (good). Shattenkirk is better. Pietrangelo could even be used. They can go 8-9 deep with players that can score in a shootout.

On the goaltending side, Halak is okay. But Allen has looked much better (positioning, anticipation, reflexes). Of course, only one shootout isn't enough to see what will happen after opposing shooters can watch enough film to make a good book on him.
Stewart would have been the 3rd shooter, but wasn't needed, last night. I can even think of a couple more guys to add.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Stewart would have been the 3rd shooter, but wasn't needed, last night. I can even think of a couple more guys to add.
Yeah and we don't see it a lot but Stewy has got some hands on a breakaway/shootout

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Yeah and we don't see it a lot but Stewy has got some hands on a breakaway/shootout
Yes. Stewart would have been included in my 8-9 deep statement.

Even D'Agostini and Schwartz, on the fringes of our Top 9, shouldn't be "bad" at shootouts. Both of them can stickhandle fairly well, have some moves, and have decent shots, and can vary their releases. It's a matter of getting the practise/experience, and having access to the "book" on the goalie, and developing confidence in their moves and shot.

This year's shootout team is better at scoring, but still questionable in goal.

Last edited by Robb_K: 02-18-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 06:17 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Yes. Stewart would have been included in my 8-9 deep statement.

Even D'Agostini and Schwartz, on the fringes of our Top 9, shouldn't be "bad" at shootouts. Both of them can stickhandle fairly well, have some moves, and have decent shots, and can very their releases. It's a matter of getting the practise/experience, and having access to the "book" on the goalie, and developing confidence in their moves and shot.

This year's shootout team is better at scoring, but still questionable in goal.
D'agostini is terrible at shootouts. tho. I'm pretty sure the last time he took a shot in a shootout he literally hit the goalie in the chest with a wrister from the point lmao. i bet sobotka wouldn't be bad with those quick hands of his.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
Its nice not to have an automatic loss if we dont score in overtime, I still hate shootouts though

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Oshie is a boss at shootouts.

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:23 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
D'agostini is terrible at shootouts. tho. I'm pretty sure the last time he took a shot in a shootout he literally hit the goalie in the chest with a wrister from the point lmao. i bet sobotka wouldn't be bad with those quick hands of his.
Sobotka actually reminds me a bit of Jamal Mayers. Fast, tenacious, physical, but hands of stone. i'm fairly sure Sobotka would be only be ahead of Reaves and Nichol in a shootout.

SneakerPimp82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Sobotka actually reminds me a bit of Jamal Mayers. Fast, tenacious, physical, but hands of stone. i'm fairly sure Sobotka would be only be ahead of Reaves and Nichol in a shootout.
I disagree, I've always thought Sobotka resembled a less skilled, but more physical version of Andy McDonald.

In the shootout, I think Sobotka could be a good depth shooter.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:30 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post
I disagree, I've always thought Sobotka resembled a less skilled, but more physical version of Andy McDonald.

In the shootout, I think Sobotka could be a good depth shooter.
He has some skill with the puck, can make a couple moves (can deke) and has some shooting skill. His hands are a LOT softer than Mayers'. I'd put him just after D'Agostini, before Nichol and Reaves, but not ahead of Schwartz.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Mormino

I've noticed that Oshie basically has one "move" during the shootout, he just shoots at different times. Against Vancouver, Luongo was probably expecting him to do something like this:

but instead he shot right away. He's really good at disguising his shot/deke.

Mormino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:04 AM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
He has some skill with the puck, can make a couple moves (can deke) and has some shooting skill. His hands are a LOT softer than Mayers'. I'd put him just after D'Agostini, before Nichol and Reaves, but not ahead of Schwartz.
I just don't see it. Sobotka's never had more than 7 goals while in the NHL, Mayers at least hit double digits twice, albeit on some bad Blues teams with increased ice time. It's just that anytime I see the puck on Sobotka's stick in a position to shoot, he either fumbles it or shoots it right into the goalies' chest.

Either way, hopefully we don't have to see him in the shootout, I think we can both agree on that.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:48 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
I just don't see it. Sobotka's never had more than 7 goals while in the NHL, Mayers at least hit double digits twice, albeit on some bad Blues teams with increased ice time. It's just that anytime I see the puck on Sobotka's stick in a position to shoot, he either fumbles it or shoots it right into the goalies' chest.

Either way, hopefully we don't have to see him in the shootout, I think we can both agree on that.
The difference is that Mayers had a good slapper and decent wrister, while Sobotka's shot is soft as hell and he takes forever to get it off. Sobotka has noticeably better overall hands and puck skills, but Mayers had more speed, so he could get to loose pucks around the net and beat a goalie clean with a shot.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:12 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
The difference is that Mayers had a good slapper and decent wrister, while Sobotka's shot is soft as hell and he takes forever to get it off. Sobotka has noticeably better overall hands and puck skills, but Mayers had more speed, so he could get to loose pucks around the net and beat a goalie clean with a shot.
Sobotka is like a mini-Conroy...If his hands ever catch up to his feet and energy, then look out.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:36 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
good call. hard shot with little accuracy and a soft shot that takes forever to get off(that's what she said) tend to end up the same way, right in the opposing goalies' team crest.

and now memories of mike eastwood and blair atcheynum come flooding in.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I would just hope that the SO would just "go away" myself, just saying...

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:17 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Yeah, shootouts need to die. I'd rather have a tie. It's just silly.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:00 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I would prefer a 10 min overtime or even a tie over a shootout

I just don't like them but unfortunately, there are enough casual fans out there that think they are fantastic

CitizenSnips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:11 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'm OK with keeping the shootout. Its exciting. But a shootout win should not equal a regulation win. I'd prefer a 3 point system with the loser point remaining and the OT/SO winner getting 2. But whatever.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Robb_K

I'd settle for a 7 min. overtime with no regular season shootouts.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Renard

We suffered in the shoot-outs after Brad Boyes left. He was outstanding.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote