HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All the President's Men" Edition - Nashville Predators @ Colorado Avalanche - 2pm

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #326
Cashville
RIP Lindback
 
Cashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 2,973
vCash: 1225
Man that was a rough loss. Back at the office and not pleased. Fluke goal off Mason's skate and a blind linesman away from 2 pts.

Cashville is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
  #327
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Holy smokes why are we complaining about offense in a 5 goal 38 shot game?

Edmonton scored 6 goals on 56 shots in Colorado's last game. Is their offensive system pathetic also?
EXACTLY- I posted the same thing about 2 posts up- and one of Edmonton's goals was an EN- so they really scored 5

drwpreds is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  #328
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
more points than weber, too. more consistent than anyone except maybe weber as well.
I'd dare to call him more consistent than Weber. Of course Weber has a tougher job, but still.

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:07 PM
  #329
drwpreds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
you guys sit here and clamor over our offense ... you will be the same ones *****ing by the end of our next 3 games. just watch. its the ****ing avalanche. our performance against Anaheim was way more impressive but that game was different because the ducks are halfway competent defensively. we still couldn't finish
Man, your posts are really hilarious- so because you can see the future and know what's going to happen you give the offense no credit today?? By your standards we could score 20 goals and you would just say, "but watch and see, we will suck again tomorrow".

5 goals scored is a good day for the offense- period

As someone else pointed out, every NHL game is filled with missed opportunities.

You praise Edmonton for their 5 goals on 56 shots but we get no credit at all for scoring the same # of goals in 20 less shots?? All righty then

Defense lost this game

drwpreds is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:11 PM
  #330
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,122
vCash: 500
I would rather score 1-2 goals and take a point or two than score 5 and lose. I am not a fan of exciting. I am a fan of winning. today sucked

token grinder is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
  #331
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
You know....I actually think we played decently today. Legwand had a rough defensive gaff, and our Dmen in general weren't their best, but honestly, I don't think this was a bad game. We deserved a better result than we got. It happens. I'm not going to freak out.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:13 PM
  #332
BourqueBourqueBork
Registered User
 
BourqueBourqueBork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
I'm going to go out on a limb and say our best defenders have been Blum + Ellis. Sure, they're not taking down the other team's top pairings...but if the name of the game is consistency, they have been it. Blum has 5 points in 9 games and is +4. Ellis has 6 points in 16 games and is also +4. When it comes to playing to their abilities, these two are actually doing rather well.

They are young, and there are certainly many aspects of the game they can improve upon, but they seem to be making mostly heady plays.

Weber certainly has the most ability, and it looks as if his offensive game is starting to warm up...but at times he has been making lazy plays, and generally doesn't look like a guy that is worth as much as he's being paid.

Klein is +4 and has contributed some offense...but Klein is notorious for making excellent plays one shift, then turning around and making bone-headed plays that someone with his experience level should be making.

Josi looks fine, but I think him and Weber are still having to work on their chemistry together, so it sort of affects both of their games (on both ends).

Gill is old. I'll give him a free pass. Most of the time he gets beat it's simply because he's old and slow. He arguably has the best stick-check on the team, though.

Hannan is the odd man out. He makes some pretty smart plays, and he's got a decent shot, but he can't seem to find a fit with anyone out there.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:15 PM
  #333
BourqueBourqueBork
Registered User
 
BourqueBourqueBork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
You know....I actually think we played decently today. Legwand had a rough defensive gaff, and our Dmen in general weren't their best, but honestly, I don't think this was a bad game. We deserved a better result than we got. It happens. I'm not going to freak out.
It was a fairly decent game if you happened to black out during the middle 5 minutes of the 2nd period.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
  #334
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'd dare to call him more consistent than Weber. Of course Weber has a tougher job, but still.
for what they are expected to do, id almost go klein. weber has struggled to get on the score sheet lately. but as you said, weber's task is much greater and his salary reflects that

NoNecksCurse is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
  #335
BourqueBourqueBork
Registered User
 
BourqueBourqueBork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,660
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
for what they are expected to do, id almost go klein. weber has struggled to get on the score sheet lately. but as you said, weber's task is much greater and his salary reflects that
Lately? Weber has 4 points (2G, 2A) in his last 3 games.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:31 PM
  #336
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,809
vCash: 500
I'm pretty happy about being robbed of a point because none of the officials could spot a blatant offside.

__________________
She runs through my veins like a long, black river, and rattles my cage like a thunderstorm.
ThirdManIn is online now  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:32 PM
  #337
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Man, your posts are really hilarious- so because you can see the future and know what's going to happen you give the offense no credit today?? By your standards we could score 20 goals and you would just say, "but watch and see, we will suck again tomorrow".

5 goals scored is a good day for the offense- period

As someone else pointed out, every NHL game is filled with missed opportunities.

You praise Edmonton for their 5 goals on 56 shots but we get no credit at all for scoring the same # of goals in 20 less shots?? All righty then

Defense lost this game
dont worry, your posts make me laugh too. my point is simple .. it was the injury riddled avalanche. their defense is AHL level bad almost right now. if your praising our offense after today, great.. im not. go post on their board and ask about how they feel of their pylon defenseman.

the west is way too competetive to not be picking up 2 points today. lose tomorrow and we could be out of the last playoff slot by thursday. our forwards are still a punchline. 3 of 5 goals from defenseman. and a 4th by wilson who gets a pass from being lumped with the rest of those jokes.

NoNecksCurse is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:33 PM
  #338
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
Lately? Weber has 4 points (2G, 2A) in his last 3 games.
sorry meant the opposite

NoNecksCurse is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:44 PM
  #339
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
dont worry, your posts make me laugh too. my point is simple .. it was the injury riddled avalanche. their defense is AHL level bad almost right now. if your praising our offense after today, great.. im not. go post on their board and ask about how they feel of their pylon defenseman.

the west is way too competetive to not be picking up 2 points today. lose tomorrow and we could be out of the last playoff slot by thursday. our forwards are still a punchline. 3 of 5 goals from defenseman. and a 4th by wilson who gets a pass from being lumped with the rest of those jokes.
Where was our elite defense on McGinn's goal? How about on Kobasew's? How close were they when Duschene crossed the line?

Their "AHL" defense made several saves when their goalie was out of position ... can the same be said for our's today?

101st_fan is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:07 PM
  #340
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
When this offense scores 5 goals there is no reason it should not be a win. PERIOD

I about threw up when we re-signed MAson and this is the very reason. I made the statment I hoped he could be a good back-up, this game does no way prove he can. He can have good games and then he has these. There is a reason hisi stock plumeted most nights it is debatable if he can play in the NHL. This is the same defense that is in front of Rinne But Rinne manages to make the saves to bail out his teammates most of the time.

With Masons history you can just not defend this. An off night should be 4 goals not 6 have to give the blame for that to Trotz.

Byrddog is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:13 PM
  #341
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
When this offense scores 5 goals there is no reason it should not be a win. PERIOD

I about threw up when we re-signed MAson and this is the very reason. I made the statment I hoped he could be a good back-up, this game does no way prove he can. He can have good games and then he has these. There is a reason hisi stock plumeted most nights it is debatable if he can play in the NHL. This is the same defense that is in front of Rinne But Rinne manages to make the saves to bail out his teammates most of the time.

With Masons history you can just not defend this. An off night should be 4 goals not 6 have to give the blame for that to Trotz.
That's why he is a NHL back up.

predfan24 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:14 PM
  #342
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,115
vCash: 500
But yeah Weber's offense is picking up but he still is playing a little lazily I think. I know it's hard to get up for a 2pm game against the AVs but come on man!

predfan24 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:22 PM
  #343
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
When this offense scores 5 goals there is no reason it should not be a win. PERIOD

I about threw up when we re-signed MAson and this is the very reason. I made the statment I hoped he could be a good back-up, this game does no way prove he can. He can have good games and then he has these. There is a reason hisi stock plumeted most nights it is debatable if he can play in the NHL. This is the same defense that is in front of Rinne But Rinne manages to make the saves to bail out his teammates most of the time.

With Masons history you can just not defend this. An off night should be 4 goals not 6 have to give the blame for that to Trotz.
What do you call it when Rinne gives up four goals to the Yotes without the blown offsides call?

101st_fan is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:24 PM
  #344
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
That's why he is a NHL back up.
Imagine that. And one broken bone from ruining a season. Or an AHL goalie coming up and he sets behind them. The netminder for this team has to stand on his head every night in order to have a chance to win. It has always been that way here. This was a poor signing.

Byrddog is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
  #345
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Rinne's first five games this season ... 0-2-3 ... allowed three or more goals three times including four to the Yotes. All of those games featured far too many defensive lapses. His last five games he is 3-1-1, allowing three or more goals once, one of which was a softie unscreened from the halfboards.

Mason 1-1-1 with three or more allowed one time (today) ... a game with multiple lapses that permitted wide open shots from high percentage areas.


Any goalie can have a bad day. The odds of that are higher when the team defense has holes.

Mason was far from standing on his head today, but, the team as a whole had issues as well which contributed to that.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:35 PM
  #346
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
What do you call it when Rinne gives up four goals to the Yotes without the blown offsides call?
Everyone is going tio have an off night, Rinnne has not had that many. Trotz has always had a pretty quick yank at the 4 goal mark he chose not to today. I find that curious.


Mason made a career from a partial season replacing Vokey. And I fully supported him if you recall that was the reason I started shaving my head. I really wish the guy well but I hate having to depend on him in net.

You may also recall after he lost the starting job to Ellis they both **** the bed and were a mere snowstorm from bopth being benched and Pekka starting then. Two games against a struggling Wild team is no reason to regain confidence in his body of work. I woul;d have prefered to bring up one of the AHL guys and give them a chance, were gonna lose one of them anyway at least they could have been moved for a pick or another 4th liner lord knows we need a few more of them.

Byrddog is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
  #347
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
What do you call it when Rinne gives up four goals to the Yotes without the blown offsides call?
Brodeur, Roy and Hasek had some stinkers during their career too. Does that excuse every poor goaltending performance in the history of the game?

Rinne doesn't get the same level of criticism on his off days, because he has a lot more good and great days to have EARNED more of a pass.

Mason (or any other backup) doesn't have to be great, but giving up 6 goals is pretty terrible for any goalie no matter how they were scored. He definitely earned the flak he took here today, and i'd bet that Mason himself would agree completely that he stunk up the net this afternoon.

Of course I think he's closer to the goalie we saw in Minnesota than the one in Colorado. If the team can go .500 over the course of a full season or even close to it with Mason in net, I call that a success. So there's still another 4-5 starts this year before we can make the definitive call on Chris Mason's Nashville return.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:39 PM
  #348
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Imagine that. And one broken bone from ruining a season. Or an AHL goalie coming up and he sets behind them. The netminder for this team has to stand on his head every night in order to have a chance to win. It has always been that way here. This was a poor signing.
He was great in his other two starts. Made a lot of good saves. All backups in the league have bad games. Our defense sure didn't make it any easier for him.

We're spoiled with good goaltending. That's all this is.

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
  #349
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,282
vCash: 500
I saw an awesome tweet when Pekka had to come in ...

https://twitter.com/HunterArmstron/s...18347180900352

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
  #350
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Everyone is going tio have an off night, Rinnne has not had that many. Trotz has always had a pretty quick yank at the 4 goal mark he chose not to today. I find that curious.


Mason made a career from a partial season replacing Vokey. And I fully supported him if you recall that was the reason I started shaving my head. I really wish the guy well but I hate having to depend on him in net.

You may also recall after he lost the starting job to Ellis they both **** the bed and were a mere snowstorm from bopth being benched and Pekka starting then. Two games against a struggling Wild team is no reason to regain confidence in his body of work. I woul;d have prefered to bring up one of the AHL guys and give them a chance, were gonna lose one of them anyway at least they could have been moved for a pick or another 4th liner lord knows we need a few more of them.
Mason also lead the Blues to a playoff berth, and started off well in Atlanta. Mason's problem is inconsistency. He can definitely bring it. He just tends to fall off.

Paranoid Android is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.