HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 3/11) *Part II*

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 12:03 AM
Joey Bones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSwitch View Post
Jesper Fasth made a really strong game and made 1 goal and was +1 in tonights win over Modo, he also made an great offensive hit which lead up to the GWG 4 - 3 for HV71.

Here´s a Fasth tribute (not included tonights game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxXneRSAu8
He looks like he's got some good hands & skill. Can't wait for him to arrive in NA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Fogarty goal was real sweet, go to 2:05

Holy Christ!!!!!!

Old
02-18-2013, 05:55 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstSwitch View Post
Jesper Fasth made a really strong game and made 1 goal and was +1 in tonights win over Modo, he also made an great offensive hit which lead up to the GWG 4 - 3 for HV71.

Here´s a Fasth tribute (not included tonights game)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxXneRSAu8
For a pretty flashy player, he scores an incredible amount of dirty goals lol.

From just one game, you could put together a pretty thick film of what he really is about. A strong skating player who covers alot of ice and handles the puck really well. He is good at going into the dirty areas and as is seen in those goals he scores his majority of goals from thoose areas. But his real strength's is definitely not seen in that film.

This quote from Hedberg, despite the funny translation, descibes him well IMO:
Quote:
- He is a great skater. That is his best tool. Another important ingredient is that he has "the compass" (great sense of direction) upstairs. He knows what he wants and where he's going. Everyone I talk to says that he works as hard as a galley slave, says Anders Hedberg.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:00 AM
Dorado*

Does he block shots though ?

Old
02-18-2013, 06:08 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

From just one game, you could put together a pretty thick film of what he really is about. A strong skating player who covers alot of ice and handles the puck really well. He is good at going into the dirty areas and as is seen in those goals he scores his majority of goals from thoose areas. But his real strength's is definitely not seen in that film.

Ola, you must not ever have met Mr Hedberg. Translation makes more sense than he usually does...

Old
02-18-2013, 06:09 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
Does he block shots though ?
Nope. And does not grind too well either. TRADE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
02-18-2013, 02:52 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

While researching David Rundblad to see what has become of him, I ran into an interesting name Maxim Goncharov. From the scouting report:
6'3", 215 lbs, 23 years old, RD.
Was a 5th rd pick by Phoenix in 07.
Can play the point on the PP, has a great shot, plays physical and is sound defensively.
The coyotes have a logjam with their D prospects and the Rangers don't have anybody with PP skills in their pipeline.
If nothing else he can help the whale and hopefully develop into something useful on the PP in a couple of years.
If anybody watches the Portland pirates, I would appreciate a first hand account.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
While researching David Rundblad to see what has become of him, I ran into an interesting name Maxim Goncharov. From the scouting report:
6'3", 215 lbs, 23 years old, RD.
Was a 5th rd pick by Phoenix in 07.
Can play the point on the PP, has a great shot, plays physical and is sound defensively.
The coyotes have a logjam with their D prospects and the Rangers don't have anybody with PP skills in their pipeline.
If nothing else he can help the whale and hopefully develop into something useful on the PP in a couple of years.
If anybody watches the Portland pirates, I would appreciate a first hand account.
is he still in North America? he was a solid prospect for them at one point...

Old
02-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
is he still in North America? he was a solid prospect for them at one point...
Yup, he plays for the Portland pirates.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwayry View Post
Yup, he plays for the Portland pirates.
i wonder what his value would be.. Bourque and 3rd (FLA) in 2013??

Old
02-18-2013, 04:41 PM
Kwayry
Take the damn deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i wonder what his value would be.. Bourque and 3rd (FLA) in 2013??
He is falling out of favor in Phoenix, can be had for cheap. To be honest, not sure if he would work out here. I would take a flier on him, but not at the expense of a high pick and prospect.
I would say nothing more than a 5th or a B prospect.

Edit: Found recent take on him, including his coach's comment.
Quote:
No. #3 – Maxim Goncharov
Pos. Defenseman
Ht. 6-3 Wt. 216
Date of Birth: 6-15-1989 (Age 24)
Hometown: Moscow, Russia
Last Team: Portland Pirates (AHL)

Bio: Goncharov is an offensive defenseman at a transitional point of his career. He’s entering his third season of his entry-level contract with the Phoenix Coyotes, trying to make the push to the National Hockey League. The Moscow, Russia native is looking to rebound from a poor season last year, scoring only four points (1g, 3a) in 45 games with the Pirates. His career-best season was in 2010-’11 with the Coyotes’ previous affiliate, San Antonio Rampage, where he scored 15 points in 61 games.

Coaches’ Comments: “Goncharov is a big, strong player. There is nobody on the team that probably has the skill set that he has, strength, can shoot the puck a ton. What we need from him is a simpler game. He should be able to produce for us offensively this season, but we need him to play a simpler, more effective game.”

Last edited by Kwayry: 02-18-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

I've always likened Fasth to Patric Hornqvist. I think Fasth has better wheels and slightly better vision, however, the rest of their games are very similar. Both know how to get to the dirty areas and they just seem to find the puck there.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:00 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I've always likened Fasth to Patric Hornqvist. I think Fasth has better wheels and slightly better vision, however, the rest of their games are very similar. Both know how to get to the dirty areas and they just seem to find the puck there.
Good comparision in terms of goalscoring.

Fasth is also up there flirting with a player like say Valteri Filppula in terms of being a two-way force on the ice. Or a player somewhat in the Straka mold.

There are many players in this league who are very good at what they are good at -- so to speak. A player like Straka had his strengths too for sure, but if something was undone on the ice, a player like Straka had the brains to always get that done too. Players with that ability can be extremely valuble, and it shows at Straka's track record which is tremendous. I think a big part of the tremendous +/--numbers of that unit was attributeable to Straka, they scored many goals, but they also gave up very few.

A certain kind of skating ability is also the one of being able to always just stay with the flow of a game. Someguys are great at that, and Zetterberg is a very good example. He isn't always the most pretty looking skater, I am sure many skating coaches would have a problem with his skating in certain areas. But due to a great mix of core strength, skating technique in certain areas, stamina, hockey sense and what not, guys like Straka, Zetterberg, Filpulla and co (and many others of course in this league) are always able to stay with the flow of the game. There is a whole bunch of speed monsters in this league who definitely isn't close to being able to accomplish the same thing. Its simple logic really, if Dereek Boogaard back in the days were skating 3 mph North and Carl Hagelin were skating 3 mph South, its going to take a like a full zone for Hagelin to catch up. So "straight away"-speed is a very small factor in the equation, and a player like say Zetterberg -- who is remarkable in this area -- who always are heading in the right direction and who is awsome at keeping speed under his feet, is able to stay with the flow in a way most players only can dream of. This area is probably Fasth's biggest strength. Especially after breaking his leg, I don't think his skating has been in the Hagelin mold. But, he is still the type who can be caught on the ice for a long shift in the attacking zone, and then all of a sudden there is a transition play and somehow all of a sudden Fasth is basically the lone guy back on a 2 on 1 skating like he can barely lift his legs, but still keeping up with the play and disturbing the attackers. Four other players on his team was standing still when the transition play was executed but Fasth had speed under his skates and saw the play develop.

Hörnqvist got better size and a heavier shot than Fasth, but Fasth's potential is probably higher because he could become that type of player who really makes his line complete.

Last edited by Ola: 02-19-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old
02-19-2013, 06:31 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Stats in first post updated.

It's just pain.
Old
02-19-2013, 07:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Good comparision in terms of goalscoring.

Fasth is also up there flirting with a player like say Valteri Filppula in terms of being a two-way force on the ice. Or a player somewhat in the Straka mold.

There are many players in this league who are very good at what they are good at -- so to speak. A player like Straka had his strengths too for sure, but if something was undone on the ice, a player like Straka had the brains to always get that done too. Players with that ability can be extremely valuble, and it shows at Straka's track record which is tremendous. I think a big part of the tremendous +/--numbers of that unit was attributeable to Straka, they scored many goals, but they also gave up very few.

A certain kind of skating ability is also the one of being able to always just stay with the flow of a game. Someguys are great at that, and Zetterberg is a very good example. He isn't always the most pretty looking skater, I am sure many skating coaches would have a problem with his skating in certain areas. But due to a great mix of core strength, skating technique in certain areas, stamina, hockey sense and what not, guys like Straka, Zetterberg, Filpulla and co (and many others of course in this league) are always able to stay with the flow of the game. There is a whole bunch of speed monsters in this league who definitely isn't close to being able to accomplish the same thing. Its simple logic really, if Dereek Boogaard back in the days were skating 3 mph North and Carl Hagelin were skating 3 mph South, its going to take a like a full zone for Hagelin to catch up. So "straight away"-speed is a very small factor in the equation, and a player like say Zetterberg -- who is remarkable in this area -- who always are heading in the right direction and who is awsome at keeping speed under his feet, is able to stay with the flow in a way most players only can dream of. This area is probably Fasth's biggest strength. Especially after breaking his leg, I don't think his skating has been in the Hagelin mold. But, he is still the type who can be caught on the ice for a long shift in the attacking zone, and then all of a sudden there is a transition play and somehow all of a sudden Fasth is basically the lone guy back on a 2 on 1 skating like he can barely lift his legs, but still keeping up with the play and disturbing the attackers. Four other players on his team was standing still when the transition play was executed but Fasth had speed under his skates and saw the play develop.

Hörnqvist got better size and a heavier shot than Fasth, but Fasth's potential is probably higher because he could become that type of player who really makes his line complete.
Straka! Loved that guy!

Now that you mention Straka, I can see that type of comparison.

Old
02-19-2013, 07:41 AM
NYR Viper

St Croix has to be one of the quietest Ranger prospects ever. 74 points in 60 games. I never hear anything about him.

McColgan with 43 assists in 56 games? 59 points? That's pretty good, hope he gets a contract. I think people will love his tenacious style.

Noreau still continuing his great season. Guy is a monster. I think he will be in the NHL.

Fogarty is picking up his production. Great to see for a freshman to finish the season strong.

Skjei has gone from a healthy scratch to playing in the Minnesota top-4. Very good development year for him.

Spelling is another guy I was intrigued with. The Rangers traded for that specific pick to grab him. I have heard very little.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:29 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
St Croix has to be one of the quietest Ranger prospects ever. 74 points in 60 games. I never hear anything about him.
Eh, he's all flash, IMO. If he can't do the hard and dirty work to score his points, he won't thrive as a professional. We had Brendan Shinnimin, an UDFA, in our camp a couple years ago. He scored like 130 points in 70 games his final WHL season. But his game isn't really suited to the pros, and he's a middling prospect in the AHL. I don't think St. Croix is a bad prospect, but I don't think he's anything to get excited about.

His offense has dipped this year as well. I will say, in his defense, that he has shown more of a focus on his two way play and defensive responsibilities in the two or three games I've watched this year (HockeyStreams is great, BTW ). He's just kinda "meh" to me. A fourth round pick that looks like a fourth round pick.

Quote:
McColgan with 43 assists in 56 games? 59 points? That's pretty good, hope he gets a contract. I think people will love his tenacious style.
He's another guy that I've never been impressed with. He basically plateaued offensively as a 16-year old. The lack of progress is sort of alarming. I do need to watch him though...haven't seen him this year.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Eh, he's all flash, IMO. If he can't do the hard and dirty work to score his points, he won't thrive as a professional. We had Brendan Shinnimin, an UDFA, in our camp a couple years ago. He scored like 130 points in 70 games his final WHL season. But his game isn't really suited to the pros, and he's a middling prospect in the AHL. I don't think St. Croix is a bad prospect, but I don't think he's anything to get excited about.

His offense has dipped this year as well. I will say, in his defense, that he has shown more of a focus on his two way play and defensive responsibilities in the two or three games I've watched this year (HockeyStreams is great, BTW ). He's just kinda "meh" to me. A fourth round pick that looks like a fourth round pick.

He's another guy that I've never been impressed with. He basically plateaued offensively as a 16-year old. The lack of progress is sort of alarming. I do need to watch him though...haven't seen him this year.
From the young stars game I saw, St. Croix looked willing to do the dirty work, skated well, didn't look timid, made a few good defensive plays. I obviously don't watch him all the time but with his skill and vision one would assume he would have at least a shot at the NHL at some point.

With McColgan I go all the way back to right after he was drafted. He looked great in camp. Little ball of energy. Drove hard to the net, hit, blocked shots, used his speed to create turnovers. If he plays like that, the stats won't matter all that much.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

MSC's point production has dipped and that has turned a lot of people off. Fortunately, a lot of that is due to his emphasis on playing a more complete game. I like the progression I've seen from him. I just want to see more intensity at the next level. In the Dub, he can almost coast by and still be a 1.5 PPG player. That won't fly in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Future RW. PA Parenteau / Ted Purcell / PM Bouchard upside if he can reach his ceiling. Top-six or bust.

Old
02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
MSC's point production has dipped and that has turned a lot of people off. Fortunately, a lot of that is due to his emphasis on playing a more complete game. I like the progression I've seen from him. I just want to see more intensity at the next level. In the Dub, he can almost coast by and still be a 1.5 PPG player. That won't fly in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Future RW. PA Parenteau / Ted Purcell / PM Bouchard upside if he can reach his ceiling. Top-six or bust.
That I agree with. From what I saw of him, he reminded me of Tim Connolly.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

Noreau still continuing his great season. Guy is a monster. I think he will be in the NHL.

Fogarty is picking up his production. Great to see for a freshman to finish the season strong.

Skjei has gone from a healthy scratch to playing in the Minnesota top-4. Very good development year for him.

Spelling is another guy I was intrigued with. The Rangers traded for that specific pick to grab him. I have heard very little.

MSC is having a down year offensively and nobody here watches him, so we don't know how he's doing in other assets. His offense shouldn't be cited as proof of a great season because with prospects, you are looking for progress and his offense failed to show that.

-----

McColgan's stats are not good at all. First, scoring ppg in your last junior season is not good unless you are a defenseman. Second, he's been scoring the same for 4 years. He probably won't get a two-way contract. I don't see how he fits into the Hartford team next year, especially with the addition of Lindberg, St. Croix and maybe Fasth.

10 players are signed for next year (Noob, Haley, Thomas, Jean, Bourque, Yogan, Lindberg, Hrivik, St. Croix) who are better than McColgan and Wilson (#11) is also better suited to be a 4th liner than McColgan.

Palm, Ferriero and Wiebe are RFAs who are likely to be resigned. That makes the list 14-long.

There there are Mash, Segal and Tessier, who are UFAs, but the Rangers will try to sign at least 1-2 of them.

The team will be deep enough without McColgan to the point where they'll be able to afford to move an F for a D.

------

I hope Noreau's skating improved a lot since September 2011 when he was in Traverse. It was acceptable for a recently drafted 18 year old big kid, but nowhere near pro levels. We haven't seen reports on this. To be honest, I'm expecting another Purinton, but would love to be surprised.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I will always swing my bat in the 4th round at a guy who can get 100 points in the WHL. Love the idea of these types of picks. If one of our offense-first 4th rounders work out... we'll trade him for Jan Hlavac. Dammit, still mad over that trade.

Old
02-19-2013, 12:37 PM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:

Sounds like a Torts guy to me .

Really pumped to see this guy in action. Hopefully he comes over this summer and sticks around.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:13 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I will always swing my bat in the 4th round at a guy who can get 100 points in the WHL. Love the idea of these types of picks. If one of our offense-first 4th rounders work out... we'll trade him for Jan Hlavac. Dammit, still mad over that trade.
Who did we trade for Hlavac?

Old
02-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Who did we trade for Hlavac?
New York Rangers traded Mark Savard and 1st round selection (Oleg Saprykin) in 1999 to Calgary Flames for the rights of Jan Hlavac, 1st (Jamie Lundmark) and 3rd (Patrick Aufiero) round selections in 1999.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:21 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
New York Rangers traded Mark Savard and 1st round selection (Oleg Saprykin) in 1999 to Calgary Flames for the rights of Jan Hlavac, 1st (Jamie Lundmark) and 3rd (Patrick Aufiero) round selections in 1999.
Wow, that's terrible. A little before I started watching.

Closed Thread