HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our first four draft picks,

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Montreal Shadow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedved View Post
Apparently I'm off base with kaberle and weber, both. I would trade weber for a 3rd, wouldn't move kaberle though. I like his value to the habs if someone goes down.
Kaberle has been a liability most of the time I've seen him play this season. I'm starting to wonder if his heart isn't still in Toronto and he just doesn't want to play for Montreal. The man was a complete beast on Toronto's PP and used to give us team nightmares. Still recall when he scored his hat-trick and a shootout goal in the 2006. Against Montreal no less.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:18 AM
yoyo999

AFAIK, Columbus has their pick, LA (Jeff Carter trade) and NYR (Rick Nash trade)

They would get eller, a 1st rounder he drafted, who they wouldn't have to wait on, plus one our 3 second rounders. I think the NYR pick is not out of the question unless it's top 10

Old
02-18-2013, 09:57 AM
bigtimehockeyfan999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
These mostly turns out to be just hype. From recent memory, not many brothers duos are even in terms of skill in the NHL. The Sedins are twins so they're a bit of an exception.

Eric is much better than Jordan.

Jamie is much better than Jordie.

Taylor is much better than Tom.

Paul is much better than Ian was.

Chris is much better than Anthony.

That's just off the top of my head. Although there are indeed brothers of similar skill that currently play/played. Most of the time though, it's the older brother that's really good and people start saying the younger one will be even better just because of the name and because it's a nice story.

Edit: Could we maybe package Eller with the 1st and two 2nd's to move up in the top 10? Maybe throw in a 3rd? Makes me worried as Eller is the biggest center on the team and having a combination of Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk on the top 3 lines doesn't seem like a recipe for success. Might also be quite an overpyament for a top 10 that isn't 100% sure to pan out.

ryan>cal we should go after him

Old
02-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Teufelsdreck

A 16-year-old center named Connor McDavid on the OHL Erie Lakers has displayed Sidney Crosby-like qualities and is warmly praised by his agent, who was wowed by his extraordinary skating and stickhandling at a very early age. The name of his agent is Bobby Orr, by the way. McDavid is predicted to be the #1 overall pick in 2015. He is now 5'10" is is working on his conditioning with Gary Roberts.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
A 16-year-old center named Connor McDavid on the OHL Erie Lakers has displayed Sidney Crosby-like qualities and is warmly praised by his agent, who was wowed by his extraordinary skating and stickhandling at a very early age. The name of his agent is Bobby Orr, by the way. McDavid is predicted to be the #1 overall pick in 2015. He is now 5'10" is is working on his conditioning with Gary Roberts.
How many times are we gonna hear X player projected to be first overall is like Crosby? I don't care if he plays nothing like Crosby. I only care if he's good enough to be worth being drafted first overall.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:04 PM
ScottFC

I don't think Crosby is a good comparisson to McDavid. Crosby scored 135 pts in at the same age while McDavid is just about a point per game.

I don't think their will be another player as good as Crosby for a long time.

Man would I love Drouin though, that kid seems like the real deal!

Old
02-18-2013, 03:53 PM
No Team Needed

I think Montreal should avoid blueliners this draft. Everyone keeps looking at the team now but already in the system are three big, physical D-men (Tinordi, Pateryn, Ellis) and three mid sized guys who can muck if needed (Thrower, Dietz, Beaulieu). We're good on D.

Montreal needs more right handed shots and some size for the left wing. They also need a goaltender with back-up potential. Tokarski was a good start.

No need for a center unless they find a right handed center that could be better than Nattinen and Pribyl or the center is BPA.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:14 PM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFC View Post
I don't think Crosby is a good comparisson to McDavid. Crosby scored 135 pts in at the same age while McDavid is just about a point per game.

I'm not so sure, but at McDavid age, Crosby didn't play in Jr yet. It seems that McDavid is 2 years younger than when Crosby started in Jr. Again, not very sure.

Old
02-18-2013, 04:32 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
I hope Collberg can be a core player in the future. We need a finesse player imo

Old
02-18-2013, 04:35 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:

McDavid plays like Tavares imo

Old
02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
I hope Collberg can be a core player in the future. We need a finesse player imo
Absolutely. Collberg is probably going to take a little longer similar to Danny Kristo. He might not make the NHL until he's 22 but that's okay. He'll be ready to contribute then.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:06 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:

I've never seen him but others have made the comparison. There was a feature article in the New York Times about him.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'd say the Habs could use a right-hand shooting RW power forward to replace Cole in not many years.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:19 PM
samsquanch9*

vCash: 50
Quote:

McDavid had exceptional status, Crosby was playing minor midget at the age McDavid is at now. McDavid is a 97 birth year.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:23 PM
MaxLacoste

McDavid started Jr. one year younger than Crosby. He got the phenomenal player statut and got in the OHL at 15 yr old, something that is not possible in the Q. McDavid is a complete offensive dynamo, like Crosby, but they don't have the same skill set.

Old
02-18-2013, 05:45 PM
Bullsmith

Love to see the habs pick up a couple more picks, but honestly barring an injury debacle, they look good enough to be in the playoff mix this year. In that case, I'll be happy as long as we don't start trading away the picks we've got. it would be a fantastic boost for the franchise to follow up this year's draft with another crop of high-ceiling prospects.

What I'd really like is to get a higher first, or a second late one.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
3hirty6ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
I think Montreal should avoid blueliners this draft. Everyone keeps looking at the team now but already in the system are three big, physical D-men (Tinordi, Pateryn, Ellis) and three mid sized guys who can muck if needed (Thrower, Dietz, Beaulieu). We're good on D.

Montreal needs more right handed shots and some size for the left wing. They also need a goaltender with back-up potential. Tokarski was a good start.

No need for a center unless they find a right handed center that could be better than Nattinen and Pribyl or the center is BPA.
You never draft on current needs. You draft the best player available based on their projection in the future.

Also, what's J. Subban's prospect ranking?

Old
02-18-2013, 07:43 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post
You never draft on current needs. You draft the best player available based on their projection in the future.

Totally agree...you always draft the BPA (high potential).

This way you have more and more prospects with HIGH VALUE (lots of star prospect dmen? could always try and trade one or two for that power forward...all 'cause your dmen have HIGH VALUE...star prospects).

J.Subban...I'm guessing right now he's projected to go in the 2nd Rnd, but...he may be chosen in late 1st Rnd...imo.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Crosby was at Shattucks -St.Mary's at 15, QMJHL at 16.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
McDavid started Jr. one year younger than Crosby. He got the phenomenal player statut and got in the OHL at 15 yr old, something that is not possible in the Q. McDavid is a complete offensive dynamo, like Crosby, but they don't have the same skill set.
Still only 5 months age difference in starting major junior which at 15/16 isn't really that big. Making Crosby's 135 pts all the more impressive.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:10 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Totally agree...you always draft the BPA (high potential).

This way you have more and more prospects with HIGH VALUE (lots of star prospect dmen? could always try and trade one or two for that power forward...all 'cause your dmen have HIGH VALUE...star prospects).

J.Subban...I'm guessing right now he's projected to go in the 2nd Rnd, but...he may be chosen in late 1st Rnd...imo.
What's Subban's scouting report? What's his strong game, his weak game?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:24 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3hirty6ix View Post

You actually draft on the best player for your team. Sometimes the guy with the biggest projection isn't the player who will do best in your system.

If there is a gap between a blueliner, a forward and a goalie where not taking the blueliner would be a mistake then you draft him. Otherwise, you wager who will best fit your team.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
What's Subban's scouting report? What's his strong game, his weak game?
He is fast, but very small for a D has he is 5'9''. I would not touch him in the first two rounds.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
He is fast, but very small for a D has he is 5'9''. I would not touch him in the first two rounds.
Maybe Boston will pick him up.

They need smaller d men

Old
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Andy

For a playoff run, the habs just really need a good solid minute eating D-man. A second rounder + prospect is usually the asking Price for these type of players...see Eric Brewer.

Closed Thread