HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
  #351
Redstreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
I got a Warrior Widow for christmas while they were on clearance to take the place of a Vapor X:50, and couldn't be happier. The feel for the puck is a lot better than what I had on the Vapor, and my shots are coming off a lot better. Its a bit longer than the Bauer was, but after getting used to it its been nice and I've been able to definitely notice the boost from the extra reach.

Redstreak is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
  #352
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Speaking of Widows on clearance...the one I picked up lasted an entire 2 days. Bottom of the blade at the back of the heel has completely delaminated and cracked off. You can see the insides of the blade, and it makes a lovely rattling noise when you shake the stick. I had heard they had ****** blades but I think 2 skates takes the cake!

Ruhnie is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM
  #353
Redstreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 122
vCash: 500
Yeesh, that sucks. Mine's been pretty solid so far. I've used it in 4 games, plus was using it to practice at some outdoor rinks the last month. Its got a few scratches on it, but nothing to write home about.

Redstreak is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:27 PM
  #354
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Yeah my Diablo blade cracked and broke at the heel in my first game with it. Cot a Covert DT2 from the warranty department and the blade is much, much better.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-12-2013, 04:42 PM
  #355
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah my Diablo blade cracked and broke at the heel in my first game with it. Cot a Covert DT2 from the warranty department and the blade is much, much better.
Wow, I would kill for a Covert replacement! Let's see what I get, I like surprises

Ruhnie is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 07:32 AM
  #356
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
I ordered two Easton 85S II 65 flex intermediates from Hockeymonkey.eu.

Got them for 105€ per stick. How does it compare to my current stick which is the CCM U+ CS? I know both of these sticks are pretty light and have a low kickpoint which is exactly what i look for from my sticks.

MJAYK is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 09:06 AM
  #357
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,078
vCash: 500
The CS is much more durable and loads/kicks differently.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 09:08 AM
  #358
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
Wow, I would kill for a Covert replacement! Let's see what I get, I like surprises
If you had a Widow you'll probably get a Covert DT1.

DT1 -> Widow (one piece construction)
DT2 -> Diablo (fused construction)

DT1 should be a little lighter overall and at the blade end with a little better performance, maybe a bit lower kick point.

My DT2 has been great for puck feel and light weight but I don't like the flex and low kick point...personal preference. I'll give it another shot one of these games.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 09:16 AM
  #359
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The CS is much more durable and loads/kicks differently.
Well i hope the difference is small enough for me to get the hang of these twigs before i end up breaking them both.

MJAYK is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
  #360
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
If you had a Widow you'll probably get a Covert DT1.

DT1 -> Widow (one piece construction)
DT2 -> Diablo (fused construction)

DT1 should be a little lighter overall and at the blade end with a little better performance, maybe a bit lower kick point.

My DT2 has been great for puck feel and light weight but I don't like the flex and low kick point...personal preference. I'll give it another shot one of these games.
That would be awesome, I wish though that I had gone with the 75 SR instead of the Int but no biggie. I also had trouble getting used to the low kickpoint, and still not sure if I like it. That said, I did notice the quicker release on snappers/wristers and overall velocity improvements. Enough for me to keep working on it and see if I can switch full time.

Ruhnie is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
  #361
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhnie View Post
That would be awesome, I wish though that I had gone with the 75 SR instead of the Int but no biggie. I also had trouble getting used to the low kickpoint, and still not sure if I like it. That said, I did notice the quicker release on snappers/wristers and overall velocity improvements. Enough for me to keep working on it and see if I can switch full time.
E-mail them and ask if you can change out the flex and pay the difference. I had my 70 flex swapped for 55, it's not what they regularly do, but they were willing to make an exception.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-14-2013, 11:39 AM
  #362
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
E-mail them and ask if you can change out the flex and pay the difference. I had my 70 flex swapped for 55, it's not what they regularly do, but they were willing to make an exception.
Was thinking of trying it, good to hear they've done it in the past. Communication from them is a bit slow right now though, I created my return on their site 2 days ago and haven't heard back yet

Ruhnie is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 01:43 PM
  #363
Ruhnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Dallas
Country: United States
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Update: Just got off the phone w/ Warrior customer service, and they're doing exactly what I was hoping for. Getting a Covert DT1 replacement, and on top of that they're changing me out to the SR 75 flex. Awesome stuff, can't wait to get my hands on it. If this stick is as durable as I have heard (compared to Widow anyway) then I may be a Warrior guy for life.

Ruhnie is offline  
Old
02-15-2013, 03:42 PM
  #364
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,078
vCash: 500
Glad it worked out, heard nothing but great things about Warrior's customer service. They really get it, and take great strides to cement their rising status, as oxymoronic as that sounds.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
  #365
Royal Canuck
Ronnie Hockey!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,473
vCash: 814
My infamous Bauer Total-One is just about pooched, has a wicked curve and I love it to death.

Any suggestions for a new stick? I want a 87-92 flex stick with a nice big toe curve and I'd prefer it to be under $250.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 05:18 PM
  #366
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Just a quick question:
I'm trying to figure out what stick one of the guys in my league is playing with. Its a base stick, and has green outline lettering, but what really caught my attention was what the shaft seemed to be made out of (or at least wrapped in). It was almost like cloth. Any one know anything else about this stick? I looked on Base's website, but couldnt really get any details on anything like this.

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:17 PM
  #367
Peechis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Just a quick question:
I'm trying to figure out what stick one of the guys in my league is playing with. Its a base stick, and has green outline lettering, but what really caught my attention was what the shaft seemed to be made out of (or at least wrapped in). It was almost like cloth. Any one know anything else about this stick? I looked on Base's website, but couldnt really get any details on anything like this.
Is it by chance The Natural? It looks like it's got a cloth texture to it. ( http://www.basehockey.ca/the-natural/ )
If that's it, they have a little bit on it on the comparison page ( http://www.basehockey.ca/comparison )

Peechis is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:25 PM
  #368
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peechis View Post
Is it by chance The Natural? It looks like it's got a cloth texture to it. ( http://www.basehockey.ca/the-natural/ )
If that's it, they have a little bit on it on the comparison page ( http://www.basehockey.ca/comparison )
Yeah i saw that and it looked similar (same material), but the graphics were definitely different. Maybe it was the same stick, maybe they change the graphics up. Thanks for the response though.

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 07:31 PM
  #369
Peechis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
It looks like the have a Natural line, or have had. Might have been a different model.

Peechis is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:03 PM
  #370
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,078
vCash: 500
It might be the Savoy Special with the texture (possibly Polar Fibre that's on The Natural) on it.

AIREAYE is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
  #371
LarryO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
They have a new stick called the Supernatural. Is that what you saw?


LarryO is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
  #372
Trl3789
Registered User
 
Trl3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
They have a new stick called the Supernatural. Is that what you saw?

Yep thats it, thanks so much.

Edit: i know they aren't on their website yet, but are they on sale anywhere?

Trl3789 is offline  
Old
02-18-2013, 08:58 PM
  #373
LarryO
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Yep thats it, thanks so much.

Edit: i know they aren't on their website yet, but are they on sale anywhere?
I think the best thing to do would be to e-mail them or phone them for information.
http://www.basehockey.ca/contact/

Update: I just read on their facebook page that it will be available March 15. Until now, it was available for "testing".


Last edited by LarryO: 02-19-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update
LarryO is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 06:36 AM
  #374
w00t99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Getting back into the game stick advice

Hey guys, I'm just getting back into the game are being away for a few years and even back then I was only playing pick up and rec leagues. I was wondering your thoughts on possibly picking up an intermediate vs a senior stick, I'm 5'11 and 150 pounds so I'm pretty thin and was thinking the lower flex on the intermediates could be more effective. On seniors I end up cutting like 2 inches off anyway because I like my sticks short so the flex becomes pretty stiff for me even on a 77.

w00t99 is offline  
Old
02-19-2013, 07:36 AM
  #375
deeman
Registered User
 
deeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 57
vCash: 500
welcome back the greatest game in the world

The sticky up top has a great deal of info to answer all your stick questions. I would get a 70-75 flex intermediate stick. I just switched and like it.

deeman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.