Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 11:42 AM
bloodygoalie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Some people on this board will complain no matter who the Jets draft. Any of Jones, Mac, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, or Monahan would be great. (If we're drafting that low).

Hey a few questions not sure how familiar are you with these kids, but who in the NHL past or present would you compare them to? What would you say the lineup would/could look like with these guys next year? and would they be on our team for the entire season?

Also, I'm thinking it may be a smart move to either trade up back into the first with our second round picks, or if one is there in the 2nd, take a goalie to develop. But nothing wrong with taking the best player available in my opinion...

Thoughts?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:51 AM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodygoalie View Post
Hey a few questions not sure how familiar are you with these kids, but who in the NHL past or present would you compare them to? What would you say the lineup would/could look like with these guys next year? and would they be on our team for the entire season?

Also, I'm thinking it may be a smart move to either trade up back into the first with our second round picks, or if one is there in the 2nd, take a goalie to develop. But nothing wrong with taking the best player available in my opinion...

Thoughts?
It would probably be best to read some of the threads on the prospects board. I don't see these prospects live outside of clips and the major tournaments so I can't act like I have first hand knowledge. There are some other guys on here that get to see junior games though that can help.

It sounds like Jones, Mac, Barkov, and Monahan would be NHL ready next year. And I agree with your last sentence, take the best guy (according to your staff, not the internet).

Old
02-18-2013, 11:56 AM
JetsFan815

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Scheifele and Sutter were risers, but Brassard, Yuen, Lowry, Kosmachuk, and Olsen were all fallers (some by a few picks some by a lot like Olsen who was ahead of Sutter and Kosmachuk in Dec or Feb if I remember right). Trouba and Serville were about were expected (Serville slight reach but not much).

Note: I'm going slightly by memory. I've been tracking all our prospects at home: where they were picked, where they were ranked at different points by multiple draft rankings (TSN, the hockey news, the scouting report, hockey prospectus, future considerations, ISS, Button(more for comical effect)). I also track the g,a,pt/gp of each year of our prospects and have guys on our team/farm where they compare to.
Kosmachuck was definitely a faller, certain rankings had him as a late firstrounder

Old
02-18-2013, 12:06 PM
JetsHomer

I honestly don't think the Jets end up bottom 5. We had close games with Pitt and Boston.

We still have 4 games against Buffalo, 4 against Washington, 3 against Flordia, 2 against the islanders and Philly.

If we play like we did against the Pens and Boston were gonna win a lot of games against those teams I think. I don't think we make playoffs, but end up in our typical 7-11th last place again.

I'm thinking Gauthier or Zadorov will end up being our pick. I can already see us taking Gauthier 8th oa or something and people here freaking out.

Old
02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Good news for the Jets

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279

Sip's prediction, the Jets will have a top 1-5 pick

Old
02-18-2013, 12:40 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

already posted!

but yes good news, and agree with prediction - if not top 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Good news for the Jets

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416279

Sip's prediction, the Jets will have a top 1-5 pick

Old
02-18-2013, 01:14 PM
meedle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I honestly don't think the Jets end up bottom 5. We had close games with Pitt and Boston.

We still have 4 games against Buffalo, 4 against Washington, 3 against Flordia, 2 against the islanders and Philly.

If we play like we did against the Pens and Boston were gonna win a lot of games against those teams I think. I don't think we make playoffs, but end up in our typical 7-11th last place again.

I'm thinking Gauthier or Zadorov will end up being our pick. I can already see us taking Gauthier 8th oa or something and people here freaking out.
After this road trip, I won't be surprised if we are last.

Old
02-18-2013, 01:29 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

Playing afraid to get taken to school by the NHL's elite is one thing, but the JETS cannot sustain that level. To me it seems that far too often the JETS play to the level of their competition.

Like Meedle said, I wouldn't be surprised if they're in last by the time they get back from this road trip and play one home game. (Buf, Car, Phi, NJD, NYR, NJD)

Of these, they'd be lucky to beat Buf and Phi, but with Miller calling out his team yesterday, I'd expect them to play a much better game and Vanek will probably give the JETS fits while racking up 3 or 4 pts. He'll eat up a team that can't defend.

Old
02-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:

I would love Gauthier or Zadorov. Or Valentin Zykov, which will appease all the people who want a "skill player". Aka European, even though Zykov plays a North American style game.

Old
02-18-2013, 03:14 PM
puck stoppa

This may be a bit OT, but I just realized that CBJ could have two picks in the top ten as they have LA's pick. They could be drafting one and another in the top ten. Not saying this will turn them around but I forgot about that trade with LA. And NYR first rounder, wow, are they willing to trade any of these?

Last edited by puck stoppa: 02-18-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old
02-18-2013, 03:32 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck stoppa View Post
This may be a bit OT, but I just realized that CBJ could have two picks in the top ten as they have LA's pick. They could be drafting one and another in the top ten. Not saying this will turn them around but I forgot about that trade with LA. And NYR first rounder, wow, are they willing to trade any of these?
They have 3 first round picks and 4 of the top 35 ish potentially. No wonder they canned Howson.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by meedle View Post
After this road trip, I won't be surprised if we are last.
Ok then, hypothetically what happens should we have the first pick. Jones seems to be the undisputed #1. Do you take him and move him? Or trade an Enstrom, Byfuglien for a forward? I'm sure its been debated on this board, but it would be interesting to know what Chevy is thinking.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channelcat View Post
Ok then, hypothetically what happens should we have the first pick. Jones seems to be the undisputed #1. Do you take him and move him? Or trade an Enstrom, Byfuglien for a forward? I'm sure its been debated on this board, but it would be interesting to know what Chevy is thinking.
For me I go by what my scouting staff thinks is the best player, regardless of position. If my staff thinks that Jones is the best, I take him with no hesitation.

Other people want to take a C no matter what, but I would take the guy that my staff projects to be the best and make other moves accordingly when the time comes.

Bogo, Trouba, and Jones could turn into one of the best trios in the game, and they look like the type that TNSE is building towards.

At some point when those three were ready to handle the load as the main guys, Chevy could move Enstrom and / or Buff to stock the forwards with their "types" as well.

Truthfully I wouldn't be upset with some of the other guys either. Getting a guy like Macinnon could be a game changer also.

But to answer your question, even though we have pretty good D and two good young guys (Bogo and Trouba), if my staff felt that Jones was the best I would take him without hesitation.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:13 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
For me I go by what my scouting staff thinks is the best player, regardless of position. If my staff thinks that Jones is the best, I take him with no hesitation.

Other people want to take a C no matter what, but I would take the guy that my staff projects to be the best and make other moves accordingly when the time comes.

Bogo, Trouba, and Jones could turn into one of the best trios in the game, and they look like the type that TNSE is building towards.

At some point when those three were ready to handle the load as the main guys, Chevy could move Enstrom and / or Buff to stock the forwards with their "types" as well.

Truthfully I wouldn't be upset with some of the other guys either. Getting a guy like Macinnon could be a game changer also.

But to answer your question, even though we have pretty good D and two good young guys (Bogo and Trouba), if my staff felt that Jones was the best I would take him without hesitation.
Yeah you have to go with the best guy available at the time. You can't think too much about positional need at that point in the draft. Edmonton probably didn't need another winger like Yakupov but he was the best player available.

I would love to have Drouin though, if we're talking about need. We have plenty of C depth, albeit nothing high end. If MacKinnon is that good and he's available, great. Drouin fills a lot of holes though. I'd take Jones over both at this point though, needs or not.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:14 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Perhaps you swap picks with the Oilers and pick up someone like Gagner or another young forward and draft somebody nearly as awesome as Jones.

Hard to say with a ton of variables in play.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:25 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
Yeah you have to go with the best guy available at the time. You can't think too much about positional need at that point in the draft. Edmonton probably didn't need another winger like Yakupov but he was the best player available.

I would love to have Drouin though, if we're talking about need. We have plenty of C depth, albeit nothing high end. If MacKinnon is that good and he's available, great. Drouin fills a lot of holes though. I'd take Jones over both at this point though, needs or not.
MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan all look like wonderful young talents.

Anybody picking within the top 6 should land a nice piece.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:15 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm and Monahan all look like wonderful young talents.

Anybody picking within the top 6 should land a nice piece.
Agree, truck.

TNSE also looks like they won't rush prospects which is great. Lots to like about the 'top 6' if you're TNSE and Jets fans.

Jones - arguably, is NHL ready, even if it's a bottom pairing to start. Has familiarity with Trouba and the two have played alot together, and have been paired together before. Those two could be a dominant pairing in a few years.

MacKinnon - love the speed and work ethic. Does some creative things with the puck, but plays a more power/speed game that would lift the butts out of the MTSC seats. Is still a very young player, so who knows were this kid's ceiling is. Would love this pick.

Drouin - roomed and played top line at WJC with Scheifele. Likely a friendship is brewing with those two, that could result in some nice chemistry at the NHL level. He's also only one yr out of Midget AAA hockey, so his development curve is crazy high right now, another thing that TNSE seems to look at. Kid has tremendous hands and could be a dynamite scorer/playmaker.

Barkov - big and skilled. Seems like what TNSE would want, too.

Lindholm - complete player who could be a fantastic 2-way guy, potentially, in a couple of years. Boy, that sounds like Jets 1.0 center and city councilor, I know. No argument here, and we like our Swedes.

Monahan - He got to know Scheifele pretty well last summer during Russian challenge, and is that big body down the middle that TNSE seems to really covet. His 2-way game seems to fit the mold TNSE wants to have and he's a real character kid.

So lots to like, and i agree, i don't think we could go wrong with any of them if they are picking in the top 6.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:04 PM
Whileee

Looking just at the Jets' needs, I think the top priority should be high end talent at forward. At this point, the Jets just are not that difficult to defend. Scheifele will likely be a nice addition, but I don't see him as being a top end dynamic offensive player. I wouldn't pass on Seth Jones, but if drafted we would probably need to trade one of our top three D to balance the forward needs.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:25 PM
tbcwpg

One other thing to consider. Before the Jets came back I always felt that the "Russian factor" was overblown, but I do find myself wondering about Nickushkin (probably getting that name wrong). Did he come over to play for Windsor?

Old
02-18-2013, 10:35 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
One other thing to consider. Before the Jets came back I always felt that the "Russian factor" was overblown, but I do find myself wondering about Nickushkin (probably getting that name wrong). Did he come over to play for Windsor?
Valeri Nichushkin , and no he hasn't . Button has had him really high all year and at 5 on his last/current list. Often compared with Rick Nash , big bodied winger that drives to the net well.

Old
02-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Sweech
COYS!

Write-up on draft eligible Ian McCoshen:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/matur...in-draft-year/

Old
02-19-2013, 12:21 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Write-up on draft eligible Ian McCoshen:

http://futureconsiderations.ca/matur...in-draft-year/

See him as a definite possibility with our round 2 pick , especially if we go forward in round one. Seems to have the traits Chevy likes ... too bad Chicago looks like a lock for the top 4 , but our own second will provide a lot of strong options imo.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

Id go Seth Jones. Imagine having a long-term top 4 of Bogosian, Trouba, Jones!! Also isnt Trouba and Jones bffs?

Old
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Id go Seth Jones. Imagine having a long-term top 4 of Bogosian, Trouba, Jones!! Also isnt Trouba and Jones bffs?
No, that's Trouba and Sieloff (picked by Calgary).

Trouba and Jones are friends through international tournaments however.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:30 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
I wonder how many of the top picks this year can be considered as franchise players? I mean how many of them can change the fortunes of a bad team to a good one?

Closed Thread