HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

DW looking for another winger

Old
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Got to take everything DW says with a grain of salt. But based on the article below:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci...on-says-its-up

does not sound like we need any personnel changes at all.
GM talk...nothing more, nothing less.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Squeeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
This is not good news. Wonder if he'll be saying that if we lose more games in a row...

I really think he's mistaken here, he really needs to make a deal for scoring depth.
I actually sort of agree with DW. While I agree that we could use some scoring depth, we have lots of guys who are more than capable of scoring goals. Havlat is a sniper, when Handzus wants to be so is he, Couture and Clowe with his garbage goals. I can tell that with Kennedy's speed he can certainly pot a few. But I'm just not sure that because we're in a slump we need to press the panic button. Burns has a cannon, Boyle has a pretty good shot too and so does Demers, where has that gone? I just think the guys need to get their game back. I think this skid will be over this week.

Squeeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
NWShark*

If "the answer was in that room", the sharks would have won the cup by now....

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
GM talk...nothing more, nothing less.
Agreed. If he says he's missing pieces he's giving up leverage.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:17 AM
Phu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
Burns has a cannon, Boyle has a pretty good shot too and so does Demers, where has that gone?
In the damn pressbox

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:12 AM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeeven View Post
I actually sort of agree with DW. While I agree that we could use some scoring depth, we have lots of guys who are more than capable of scoring goals. Havlat is a sniper, when Handzus wants to be so is he, Couture and Clowe with his garbage goals. I can tell that with Kennedy's speed he can certainly pot a few. But I'm just not sure that because we're in a slump we need to press the panic button. Burns has a cannon, Boyle has a pretty good shot too and so does Demers, where has that gone? I just think the guys need to get their game back. I think this skid will be over this week.
Well, i also think the skid will end soon as we not that bad of a team, we just don't match up well against good teams. Who are we playing next... the Blues (**** ****!!).. anyway, i can't disagree with the fix it from in the locker room way of thinking, the problem that it's not getting fixes based on the game results and we're still losing points in a tight short season where points are important. While we're still in the top 8 it's not time to panic yet, however we are getting close is my point, how long do you go before it's not fixed with the players you have now, we start to fall bellow the 8th position and you got to do something sooner, not later, just to even make the playoffs.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:34 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Well, i also think the skid will end soon as we not that bad of a team, we just don't match up well against good teams.
They dont match up well against good teams and they also dont match up well against defensive teams, so what kind of teams do they match up well with then? More than half the league is eliminated already.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:35 AM
5H4RK5

If we lose one more time Iginla and Ovechkin to the Sharks.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:20 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
They dont match up well against good teams and they also dont match up well against defensive teams, so what kind of teams do they match up well with then? More than half the league is eliminated already.
The Sharks are not a bad team, what they are is a slow team in a fast league. They dont have the explosiveness to get through defensive teams and they dont have the speed to stay with "fast teams".

They are generating enough powerplays that they should be winning more games but the PP is still atrocious because its became stagnate.

If the Sharks add one speedy top six winger and tell their third line what it is they are expected to do the team will become much more consistent.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
VP and GM
Havlat Sucks!

Quote:
..hence they are a mid level team, if they overachieve they might make the playoffs.

VP and GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post

02-19-2013, 04:08 PM
wtfisthis

Quote:
..hence they are a mid level team, if they overachieve they might make the playoffs.
If they need to overachieve just to have a CHANCE to make playoffs in a league where half the teams get in, they arent a good team.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 04:16 PM
Swedish GP
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Yup, that has worked so far.

Swedish GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:43 PM
SFSharkie

Interesting segment on TSN, Dreger mentions that some big names are being talked about on the Sharks for a potential trade (boyle, and thornton among others, it is implied)

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/lates...#pipe42/latest

Last edited by SFSharkie: 02-19-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: link
SFSharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
Interesting segment on TSN, Dreger mentions that some big names are being talked about on the Sharks for a potential trade (boyle, and thornton among others, it is implied)

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/lates...#pipe42/latest
I'm sure teams have asked. I doubt Doug Wilson will take action at that level. One of the depth d-men or the depth forwards but nothing major.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:25 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
I'm sure teams have asked. I doubt Doug Wilson will take action at that level. One of the depth d-men or the depth forwards but nothing major.
I could see wilson moving boyle, but only boyle from the big 3. Considering he has, last time i heard a partial no trade clause where he can choose teams he wont go to or will go to (cant remember which it is)

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
I could see wilson moving boyle, but only boyle from the big 3. Considering he has, last time i heard a partial no trade clause where he can choose teams he wont go to or will go to (cant remember which it is)
He's not going to move Dan Boyle mid-season when they're a playoff team. Off-season, sure, I would actually fully support trading Boyle. But now? No way.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:33 PM
pappaf2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
I would be shocked to see DW trade Boyle. I think he is the most important member on the team except maybe Thornton. Thr team is even worse at breaking out of the zone or working the power play with out him. I was a bit flabbergasted to hear Dreger say the sharks would want a top 9 forward for Boyle. I'd be pissed if he was moved for anything less than a solid top 6 player.

pappaf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 12:02 AM
5H4RK5

........................threat averted for now. If we lose the next game, Tavares and Eberle to SJ.

5H4RK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
He's not going to move Dan Boyle mid-season when they're a playoff team. Off-season, sure, I would actually fully support trading Boyle. But now? No way.
it all depends on just how ugly this streak of bad play can get. 1 win in 8 games isn't going to cut it for the playoffs.

if wilson thinks they need a shake up mid season to get them over that hump and into the playoffs i can see it.

but i do agree on normal terms trading boyle mid season isn't going to happen.

the sharks got helped by that hot streak at the start of the season, which in turns makes it a bit easier to make the playoffs.

roughly for a normal 82 game season, it takes 50 wins to about 40 wins to make the playoffs.

so in a shortened 48 game season it will most likely be about 23-30 wins to make the playoffs.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

Quote:
The only two teams in the league that the Sharks don't match up well with are the Blackhawks and Blues. Even the Blues are only then included because of last year, when they were a better team and the Sharks were a worse team than they respectively are today. It's really only the Blackhawks that fit the horrible matchup bill for the Sharks. Fast, physical puck possession teams that have top end talent capable of matching up with (and consistently beating) the Sharks' top line and depth far superior to that of the Sharks' bottom six. The Sharks went 13-5-2 against Vancouver, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, and LA last year. They destroyed the Canucks earlier this year. The Sharks have always fared well against the good teams. It is the mediocre teams that kill them. They will often dominate the game against a fellow puck possession team like Vancouver or Detroit, but tend to have trouble against less-talented teams that employ painfully boring (and effective) defensive systems. The Coyotes, Predators, etc. I know that the last 3 weeks have been hell, but they were never as good as they were prior and never nearly as bad as they were in the last 7 games.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
I would probably do it if I could get some young speedy top six talent in return.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 10:59 AM
Chubbs
Toasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
........................threat averted for now. If we lose the next game, Tavares and Eberle to SJ.
I would kill for Tavares on the Sharks. He's probably on the best contract in the league (besides Giroux, but his contract is up after next year).

Chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:35 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
The only two teams in the league that the Sharks don't match up well with are the Blackhawks and Blues. Even the Blues are only then included because of last year, when they were a better team and the Sharks were a worse team than they respectively are today. It's really only the Blackhawks that fit the horrible matchup bill for the Sharks. Fast, physical puck possession teams that have top end talent capable of matching up with (and consistently beating) the Sharks' top line and depth far superior to that of the Sharks' bottom six. The Sharks went 13-5-2 against Vancouver, Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Boston, and LA last year. They destroyed the Canucks earlier this year. The Sharks have always fared well against the good teams. It is the mediocre teams that kill them. They will often dominate the game against a fellow puck possession team like Vancouver or Detroit, but tend to have trouble against less-talented teams that employ painfully boring (and effective) defensive systems. The Coyotes, Predators, etc. I know that the last 3 weeks have been hell, but they were never as good as they were prior and never nearly as bad as they were in the last 7 games.
Even against the Blues, I remember the Sharks failing because of their special teams. At even strength, the Sharks drew even with Blues...

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 11:40 AM
SJeasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of Glory View Post
Good pickup. Pre-Heatley, they were almost perfect against bottom feeders with mixed to poor results against better competition. At the time teams like Detroit would have let downs against the lesser lights while the Sharks feasted. The pattern for now is those defensive teams with extreme backchecks plus a couple of other teams (eg Chicago) that destroy the Sharks.

I think the current problem is worse because it is a very specific backcheck type that is killing them and they are not countering. At the outset of the season, it looked like they were trying to vary their breakouts (the answer to the issue), but in the losing streak it hasn't happened. Even the coaching comment on execution/precision is spot on in that regard. They have to make the right choices and do it quickly and accurately. Because of the glimpses of the answer, I am less inclined to blame the coaches and more to blame the players with a side helping of blame on the GM for who those players are.

I would also question team work habits. Vets don't want to wear out in practice but repetition is the way to "quick and accurate". It isn't a light switch that just flips on.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote