HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

"All the President's Men" Edition - Nashville Predators @ Colorado Avalanche - 2pm

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2013, 06:42 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

vCash: 500
God dammit, stop talking about Mason. He's the backup goalie, and he's 1-1-1. We've been spoiled with good backups and/or tandems over the years, with people like Ellis and Lindback now starting for other teams. We're not always going to be in a situation where we have a starter-capable backup.

Look around the league...the teams with high quality backups are few and far between.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
He was great in his other two starts. Made a lot of good saves. All backups in the league have bad games. Our defense sure didn't make it any easier for him.

We're spoiled with good goaltending. That's all this is.
Of course were spoiled. We have always had to ride the goalies hard in order to have a have for a win.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Of course were spoiled. We have always had to ride the goalies hard in order to have a have for a win.
True. But to me, that is a problem with our overall style, not with the quality of our goalies. Putting all your eggs into 1 basket is way too risky

Old
02-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Mason also lead the Blues to a playoff berth, and started off well in Atlanta. Mason's problem is inconsistency. He can definitely bring it. He just tends to fall off.
Thats my whole point when hes one life is good but he is off far too often his career 2.64 is not good enough for this team to win consistantly. If the offense were like The Bolts giving Lindy 3.9 goals a game I would have little to argue. Even with the last two games goals, the Preds are just 2.06 goals a game.

Old
02-18-2013, 06:58 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Brodeur, Roy and Hasek had some stinkers during their career too. Does that excuse every poor goaltending performance in the history of the game?

Rinne doesn't get the same level of criticism on his off days, because he has a lot more good and great days to have EARNED more of a pass.

Mason (or any other backup) doesn't have to be great, but giving up 6 goals is pretty terrible for any goalie no matter how they were scored. He definitely earned the flak he took here today, and i'd bet that Mason himself would agree completely that he stunk up the net this afternoon.

Of course I think he's closer to the goalie we saw in Minnesota than the one in Colorado. If the team can go .500 over the course of a full season or even close to it with Mason in net, I call that a success. So there's still another 4-5 starts this year before we can make the definitive call on Chris Mason's Nashville return.
Mason had two bad goals against him today .. the kick in and the stuff in. The PP goal was one fans would like to have him save .. but the type screened play that gets in even against the elites enough that we keep screaming for our players to do the same type of thing every game. The other two real goals were complete lapses that put scorers in quality position with time and space to pick a spot and put an absolute laser where they wanted it. Then there was Duschene's off side play ... still a pretty good shot on a goalie, and team, that completely let up expecting a whistle.

We're ignoring that McGinn's goal was set up by what started with a hell of a play behind the net against our $14million star and great pass to a wide open shooter in the low slot. We're overlooking that we failed to account for Kobasew as he came onto the ice. Our PK was completely off to the defensive left with McGinn able to control Mason's ability to see the right point, and no pressure on either point before Barrie's shot that Mason reacts a fraction of a second late to.

The dismissal of Mason's play against the Wild overlooks that Minny has scored in regulation every single game this season ... something we can't claim. Mason held them to one goal in regulation each time ... something Jimmy Howard and Corey Crawford can't claim. The egg he left in the crease today doesn't taint his earlier solid play. If it does, we have to let the Yotes game taint Pekka's play in his last few starts.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:01 PM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
One bit of good that came out of Mason allowing 6 goals, Rinne came in and now has a 1.58 GAA good for first in the league.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Byrddog

If we had the offensive talent that The Wild have we would be raising just as much hell as there fans are. That are just ahead of the Preds at 2.07 goals per game to our 2.06.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:04 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
One bit of good that came out of Mason allowing 6 goals, Rinne came in and now has a 1.58 GAA good for first in the league.
Silver lining is nice, isn't it?

He also got me the early lead in goalie fantasy stats in this week's matchup.

Old
02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourqueBourqueBork View Post
God dammit, stop talking about Mason. He's the backup goalie, and he's 1-1-1. We've been spoiled with good backups and/or tandems over the years, with people like Ellis and Lindback now starting for other teams. We're not always going to be in a situation where we have a starter-capable backup.

Look around the league...the teams with high quality backups are few and far between.
its being talked about because mason gave away 2 points. that could be killer this season. those same saves, rinne makes them 90% of the time. so either talk about mason or talk about how great rinne makes our team looks. pick one. that's always the story of this team. the goalie. not surprising mason is getting the criticism. he will have a few more games to prove if he can still hack it.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:12 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
its being talked about because mason gave away 2 points. that could be killer this season. those same saves, rinne makes them 90% of the time. so either talk about mason or talk about how great rinne makes our team looks. pick one. that's always the story of this team. the goalie. not surprising mason is getting the criticism. he will have a few more games to prove if he can still hack it.
Mason gave them away all on his own? OK. The defensive lapses must not have actually happened ... and Duchene was onsides too.

So, using your logic Rinne gave away what, 1 point with his 33sv% in the shootout vs Anaheim, 2 points giving up 3 goals to Chicago, 2 points when he gave up 4 goals to Phoenix, another 2 points giving up 3 goals to St Louis, 1 point to St Louis at home with his 0sv% in the shootout, and another 1 point with his 67sv% in the season opening shootout. If we're going to blame the goalies exclusively, that's 9 points given away by Peks using your logic.

Mason's bad game was not the only one in our defensive end today. Sorry if I refuse to get into the simplistic, blame one player crowd but the multiple factors that contributed to each goal deserve discussion and that takes more than ranting about one player.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:15 PM
Biggun35
Bender

Quote:
Mason did not give away two points, the defense gave them away. He had little chance on goals 3-6, he should sue for lack of defensive support.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:31 PM
Legionnaire11

According to Bob McKenzie the linesman knew it was offsides, but he though the Preds had played the puck into the zone. Still no excuse for that one, 4 refs on the ice have got to be more aware than that.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:33 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Yeah that seems legit. The Preds played the puck into their own zone with Duchene obviously wide open for a breakaway. Nice excuse, guy.

02-18-2013, 08:38 PM
adsfan

Quote:
According to Bob McKenzie the linesman knew it was offsides, but he though the Preds had played the puck into the zone. Still no excuse for that one, 4 refs on the ice have got to be more aware than that.
So that negates the guy being 4 feet over the blue line when the puck was still well behind it? That rule needs to be changed!

Old
02-18-2013, 08:45 PM
roseyc

Quote:
That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. The refs should be suspended for that call.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:46 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Technically that's true as after Parenteau passed the puck it hit Hannan's stick, but it wasn't as if Hannan passed it to Duchene.

Old
02-18-2013, 08:54 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Technically that's true as after Parenteau passed the puck it hit Hannan's stick, but it wasn't as if Hannan passed it to Duchene.
Still everybody stopped including the Avs and Duchene just shot the puck which somebody should handed him his lunch for doing that that's unwritten rule don't shoot the puck on a offsides.. Then the refs allowed it is unbelievable.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Rule 83 requires the defending team pass the puck into the zone for a waive off. Deflections only matter if the attacking team is already in the zone and an attempted clear deflects off of a defensive player in the neutral zone and back into the attacking zone ... 83.2 uses the term "back into"

Old
02-18-2013, 09:15 PM
roseyc

That's two calls that has had imperative effect on the games. The overtime against Minnesota and Colorado today

Old
02-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Nitrous Mafia

i was at work listening

only now am i seeing pics and the video of the offsides goal

someone should not have a job tomorrow

Old
02-18-2013, 09:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Still everybody stopped including the Avs and Duchene just shot the puck which somebody should handed him his lunch for doing that that's unwritten rule don't shoot the puck on a offsides.. Then the refs allowed it is unbelievable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Rule 83 requires the defending team pass the puck into the zone for a waive off. Deflections only matter if the attacking team is already in the zone and an attempted clear deflects off of a defensive player in the neutral zone and back into the attacking zone ... 83.2 uses the term "back into"
Oh for sure I totally agree with you both, all I meant is perhaps the linesman was thinking along those lines when he didn't make the call in the first place.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:29 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
dont worry, your posts make me laugh too. my point is simple .. it was the injury riddled avalanche. their defense is AHL level bad almost right now. if your praising our offense after today, great.. im not. go post on their board and ask about how they feel of their pylon defenseman.

the west is way too competetive to not be picking up 2 points today. lose tomorrow and we could be out of the last playoff slot by thursday. our forwards are still a punchline. 3 of 5 goals from defenseman. and a 4th by wilson who gets a pass from being lumped with the rest of those jokes.
I'm not throwing a party because we had a good offensive game against a depleted defense- we all get that the Avs stink. We weren't facing a Predators style, top notch defense- but the offense was really good today- you cannot deny that- almost 40 shots on goal and 5 goals.

The problem people have with you is that you are your same critical self regardless of the outcome- if we get shutout and have 14 shots, you are critical- if we get 5 goals and 40 shots, you are still critical because you are convinced they won't do it the next game. What kind of thinking is that?

Tell me again why Edmonton gets praise for their game against Colorado and we don't, when we actually were more efficient??

Again, the offense did its job today- the defense and Mason did not- it is utterly ridiculous that anyone would spend time criticizing the offense after losing a 6-5 game

Old
02-18-2013, 09:30 PM
roseyc

Bad goals happen and even accidents happen and but that game turned on that horrible call. That made it 3-0 and it was like a snowball from there. Mason had a bad game so what. If Klein or somebody put a goal in when there enough time we still could have won that game. The league right now has to look at itself in the mirror and be ashamed of itself to allow a call like that. If this would have happen in Toronto officials would be suspended. They should be anyways.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:48 PM
drwpreds

Reading this board after a loss, I just have to repeat what I have said a few times before- I truly believe this is one of the most negative message boards I have ever been on, and I have been on a bunch of them.

I know its just a sign of the times we live in- everyone wants to be critical all the time.

It was a horrible loss today- a game we had no business losing- there is no doubt about that.

But I am telling you, if I just woke up from a coma without any knowledge of this season, or the franchise history, I would swear I must be on the Blue Jackets or even the Atlanta Thrashers board, a certain perennial loser, and not one of the most successful franchises in the NHL the past 9 years.

(We had a great shutout win over Phoenix, and the game day thread is 5 pages, lose today and its 15 pages long.)

I am not directing this at everyone- thankfully, there are some level headed people on here- but also a lot who are not......

And before the usual suspects come back at me by saying I'm always positive- I am not- see above- we stunk today, and if we stink tomorrow, I will be on here saying so............

Old
02-18-2013, 10:33 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I'm not throwing a party because we had a good offensive game against a depleted defense- we all get that the Avs stink. We weren't facing a Predators style, top notch defense- but the offense was really good today- you cannot deny that- almost 40 shots on goal and 5 goals.

The problem people have with you is that you are your same critical self regardless of the outcome- if we get shutout and have 14 shots, you are critical- if we get 5 goals and 40 shots, you are still critical because you are convinced they won't do it the next game. What kind of thinking is that?

Tell me again why Edmonton gets praise for their game against Colorado and we don't, when we actually were more efficient??

Again, the offense did its job today- the defense and Mason did not- it is utterly ridiculous that anyone would spend time criticizing the offense after losing a 6-5 game
edmonton gets no praise from me. im simply noting Colorado's previous game. and people can think whatever of me. im being realistic. our offense is crap and is in no way good enough to win a cup. rinne would have to stand on his head for us to win 16 games in the playoffs.

we will do the same as always. we will squeak into the playoffs in around 6th place.. (have my doubts if we even get in) .. we will then face a tough opponent and have an early exit. trotz and poile will then get kudos for "getting the most out of so little" .. we'll be drafting mid to late in the first.. wont get any help offensively. no free agents will want to sign here cause its Nashville. we will be in the same spot next year and ill be shouting the same damn things. people like you and 101 can bash me, i truly dont give 2 ****s. im not sure if some of yall are still in "don't want to lose the team" mode. but im sick of the same **** every year. YES, we are beyond blessed with such a well run organization but i want more. im tired of the current state.. same crap, different year. i have watched this team for a very long time and the NHL, and I think both you and I know that we are multiple pieces away from being a real contender. unless rinne turns to JS Giguere. im calling it like i see it.

Closed Thread