HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Proposal Devils-Predators

Old
07-11-2006, 01:52 AM
Missionhockey

vCash: 500
Proposal Devils-Predators

This was proposed by one of your own, but I wanted to see how the rest of the population would react to it.

To NJ:
Legwand+Klein/Parent

To Nash:
Scott Gomez

The Devils get a serviceable offensive center and a defensive prospect in a system that is starved of d-men while the Predators get one of the best playmakers in the league.

Flame?

Missionhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 02:14 AM
dulzhok

I do it... but doubt Poile/Leipold would take on another big contract though.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:58 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I do it... but doubt Poile/Leipold would take on another big contract though.
Agreed, we are pushing up against our current budget of $36 million already if you factor in potential RFA salaries. The addition of Gomez would put us closer to $40 million. It'd make us a better team both now and in the long run (if Gomez' were to be signed), but I cannot see Leipold increasing the team salary to that level.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:23 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Or you can wait one year, keep your assetts and sign the UFA Gomez to a deal.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 08:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

That's a mighty tempting offer, payroll aside...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would make the trade, try to sign Gomez to a contract similar to Arnotts....and then look to trade one of the wingers that are going to bust our nuts in arbitration (either Erat or Hartnell) to shore up the new found hole on defense. Salaries would probably be very close to even in that scenario IF the defenseman acquired was at a reasonable price....

Thats too involved for Poile though. Its much simpler to try and resign Greg Classen, etc...and wait for the arbitration hearings, than scour the league for potential trade partners/upgrades. Lou would probably have to propose the deal to us for us to even think about trading with the Devils.

07-11-2006, 10:49 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I love Gomez, one of my fav players, so if somehow we could get him to play for the Preds I say do it (especially if it's an offer like this).

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:00 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I would make the trade, try to sign Gomez to a contract similar to Arnotts....and then look to trade one of the wingers that are going to bust our nuts in arbitration (either Erat or Hartnell) to shore up the new found hole on defense. Salaries would probably be very close to even in that scenario IF the defenseman acquired was at a reasonable price....

Thats too involved for Poile though. Its much simpler to try and resign Greg Classen, etc...and wait for the arbitration hearings, than scour the league for potential trade partners/upgrades. Lou would probably have to propose the deal to us for us to even think about trading with the Devils.
To lock him up long-term, I think it'll cost a fair bit more than what Arnott received. I think he's more valuable than Havlat. He doesn't bring the sheer upside that Havlat brings, but he is going to give you 80 games and you are going to get a lot of assists and a bunch of points. I think he's going to want $6 million to sign long-term.

If we were to land him and sign him long-term to a 5 million for 4 years deal (which he probably wouldn't do), our payroll would sit at around $33.5 million and we'd still have to sign Hamhuis, Hall, Erat, and Hartnell. There's at least 5 million required, in my opinion, to sign all three of the big guns. Hall can be let go. But even if we trade one of Erat or Hartnell, we'd likely received someone back that cost us a similar amount. So we wouldn't be saving any money. So we'd be sitting at roughly $38.5 million and still needing to sign another defenseman to replace Klein (or bring up a minor leaguer).

I would absolutely jump at a Klein/Legwand for Gomez deal. I'd be ecstatic if we pulled it off. I just can't see us landing Gomez and having a roster under $37 million. And because of that, I can't see it happening.

Old
07-11-2006, 11:23 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
To lock him up long-term, I think it'll cost a fair bit more than what Arnott received. I think he's more valuable than Havlat. He doesn't bring the sheer upside that Havlat brings, but he is going to give you 80 games and you are going to get a lot of assists and a bunch of points. I think he's going to want $6 million to sign long-term.

If we were to land him and sign him long-term to a 5 million for 4 years deal (which he probably wouldn't do), our payroll would sit at around $33.5 million and we'd still have to sign Hamhuis, Hall, Erat, and Hartnell. There's at least 5 million required, in my opinion, to sign all three of the big guns. Hall can be let go. But even if we trade one of Erat or Hartnell, we'd likely received someone back that cost us a similar amount. So we wouldn't be saving any money. So we'd be sitting at roughly $38.5 million and still needing to sign another defenseman to replace Klein (or bring up a minor leaguer).

I would absolutely jump at a Klein/Legwand for Gomez deal. I'd be ecstatic if we pulled it off. I just can't see us landing Gomez and having a roster under $37 million. And because of that, I can't see it happening.
But heres the thing Smokey, if we traded Erat and got back a similar salary....more than likely the player we traded for is the defensemen to replace Klein. We lose Legwand's salary (2 million likely) Erat (2 million - 2.5 million), Klein (whats he at 5-750k?).....Thats about what Gomez would cost us 4.5-5.5 million. We have to include whatever defenseman salary we add, but if we are trading Erat, we could trade him for an equally young player at a reasonable salary. What I'm getting at, is that we probably add 2-3 million in this deal. While that is an addition, it is still very very reasonable. I see where you coming from, but if there is a chance to get Gomez with a package of Legwand/Klein...and resigning him for 3-4 years its a must do deal.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 11:31 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
But heres the thing Smokey, if we traded Erat and got back a similar salary....more than likely the player we traded for is the defensemen to replace Klein. We lose Legwand's salary (2 million likely) Erat (2 million - 2.5 million), Klein (whats he at 5-750k?).....Thats about what Gomez would cost us 4.5-5.5 million. We have to include whatever defenseman salary we add, but if we are trading Erat, we could trade him for an equally young player at a reasonable salary. What I'm getting at, is that we probably add 2-3 million in this deal. While that is an addition, it is still very very reasonable. I see where you coming from, but if there is a chance to get Gomez with a package of Legwand/Klein...and resigning him for 3-4 years its a must do deal.
If we traded Erat for a player of similar salary to replace Klein, Erat/Klein/other player are all a wash. So let's throw that out. So we would then need to factor in the other salaries in the deal: Legwand and Gomez. I think Legwand will make around $1.5-1.8 million. He made something like $1.5 last year and had a terrible year. I can't see him getting more than a nominal increase. Gomez, on the other hand, is going to be making around 5 million. At the very least, it's a three million addition in salary, as you've said. With a payroll that promised to be right at $36 million with all of our RFAs signed, we are sitting at $38-39 million with Gomez.

I can't see that happening. Especially when you consider two extra factors. We've already invested $20+ million in the center position. And Arnott came to the Preds to be the #1 center. While he's a more natural fit than Gomez on the first line, he's going to play second fiddle in the overall scheme because Gomez is just a better player. How much is he going to like that? $4.5 million a year is a lot of money for a moody player if you are going to tick him off before he ever dons the mustard.

Old
07-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Bad Karma

Quote:
The Devils get a serviceable offensive center.
Who Legwand???????

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2006, 07:15 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1000
not bad bu i think salary issues aside gomez brings more to the table

Plato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 08:52 AM
SmokeyClause

This was posted on the Devils board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=269847

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketcase78 View Post
Maybe..

To NJ: Legwand + Timmonen, NSH's 4th in 2007
To NSH: Gomez, Matvichuk, NJ's 2nd in 2007
I'd really consider it. Matvichuk isn't the perfect solution, but he adds toughness, grit, affordability, all in a top 4 package. He could be a great complement to someone like Zidlicky on the second pairing. It'll also save us money compared to the previous deal (around $1 million).

Instead of Gomez ($5 million) - Legwand ($1.8 Million) - Klein ($.600) + replacement ($.500) = $3.1 million addition in salary.

Now: Gomez ($5 million) + Matvichuk ($1.4 million) - Timonen ($2.3 Million) - Legwand ($1.8 million) = $2.3 million in additional salary.

Is something like this workable:

Weber - Hamhuis
Zidlicky - Matvichuk
Suter - Klein
Zanon

Old
07-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
This was posted on the Devils board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=269847

I'd really consider it. Matvichuk isn't the perfect solution, but he adds toughness, grit, affordability, all in a top 4 package. He could be a great complement to someone like Zidlicky on the second pairing. It'll also save us money compared to the previous deal (around $1 million).

Instead of Gomez ($5 million) - Legwand ($1.8 Million) - Klein ($.600) + replacement ($.500) = $3.1 million addition in salary.

Now: Gomez ($5 million) + Matvichuk ($1.4 million) - Timonen ($2.3 Million) - Legwand ($1.8 million) = $2.3 million in additional salary.

Is something like this workable:

Weber - Hamhuis
Zidlicky - Matvichuk
Suter - Klein
Zanon
I would do that in a heartbeat.....Plus we could still move a winger for draft picks/prospect to further lower our payroll.

Last edited by Enoch: 07-12-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:22 AM
dulzhok

I'd do it, but it's the kind of deal I'd be shocked if Poile did it (for a number of reasons).

As for the deal....

Didn't see Matvichuk play much last year... don't really know how good he is these days.

Gomez/Arnott would be a great top 2 (in fact, they've won the cup together as the top center duo). But, I think we'd have to add more to the package. Gomez put up over a point-per-game and had a great playoffs. Timonen is more valuable than Matvichuk, but Gomez has considerable value over Legwand.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I'd do it, but it's the kind of deal I'd be shocked if Poile did it (for a number of reasons).

As for the deal....

Didn't see Matvichuk play much last year... don't really know how good he is these days.

Gomez/Arnott would be a great top 2 (in fact, they've won the cup together as the top center duo). But, I think we'd have to add more to the package. Gomez put up over a point-per-game and had a great playoffs. Timonen is more valuable than Matvichuk, but Gomez has considerable value over Legwand.
I think the assumption is that if they get rid of Gomez, they realize they aren't receiving fair value for him because he would be a salary dump. That being said, I think we underpay here. I'd be more than willing to drop the picks from both sides to make it more fair. I'm not sure what else it would take.

As for Matvichuk, most Devs fans have him slated somewhere in their top 4 (several in the first pairing), so he's not exactly scrapheap. Still, the new NHL could not have helped his cause.