HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Zetterberg vs Either Sedin

View Poll Results: Has had the better career so far?
Henrik Zetterberg 54 72.97%
Daniel Sedin 3 4.05%
Henrik Sedin 17 22.97%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

vCash: 500
Zetterberg has the better PPG, is better in the playoffs, and is much better defensively. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Is it just me, or are Canucks fans huge homers when it comes to rating their own players on these boards?

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:29 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Really?

Doesn't PPG or playoffs matter?

And I mean individual performance not team.
Um, did you not see the part where I posted their points, games played, and pointed out Zetterberg's Stanley Cup and Smythe?

Anyways, I think points per game is a factor but it's a little misleading. Zetterberg is given an advantage in that regard because he came into the NHL a developed player at 22. If you compare them since 2002-2003 (when they were all 22), Zetterberg's PPG is 0.94, Henrik Sedin's is 0.93 and Daniel Sedin's is 0.92. Hardly a major difference, and Henrik Sedin has outscored him by 50 points in that timespan.

I also think PPG is hardly the best way to evaluate a career. If the question was, "Who has consistently been the better player?" I might be inclined to vote Zetterberg, as he was definitely the better player early in their careers but "Who has had the best career" is a different question entirely. Compare the names of Hart trophy winners to Conn Smythe winners, the Smythe is probably better for a franchise but the Hart is much more prestigious. These kinds of things are important when evaluating careers IMO.

Last edited by MastuhNinks: 02-17-2013 at 07:36 PM.
MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:42 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Zetterberg
Career PPG: .94
Playoff PPG: .94

Henrik
Career PPG: .83
Playoff PPG: .74

Daniel
Career PPG: .83
Playoff PPG: .69
This post combined with the clearly superior defensive game is why Zetterberg is better, not because hes an HF golden boy...

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 07:51 PM
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Um, did you not see the part where I posted their points, games played, and pointed out Zetterberg's Stanley Cup and Smythe?

Anyways, I think points per game is a factor but it's a little misleading. Zetterberg is given an advantage in that regard because he came into the NHL a developed player at 22. If you compare them since 2002-2003 (when they were all 22), Zetterberg's PPG is 0.94, Henrik Sedin's is 0.93 and Daniel Sedin's is 0.92. Hardly a major difference, and Henrik Sedin has outscored him by 50 points in that timespan.

I also think PPG is hardly the best way to evaluate a career. If the question was, "Who has consistently been the better player?" I might be inclined to vote Zetterberg, as he was definitely the better player early in their careers but "Who has had the best career" is a different question entirely. Compare the names of Hart trophy winners to Conn Smythe winners, the Smythe is probably better for a franchise but the Hart is much more prestigious. These kinds of things are important when evaluating careers IMO.
uhhhhh please don't get hardyvan123 going again...... hes been non stop attacking Canucks players in recent polls.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:38 AM
DatsyukianDeke
Dangle Dangle

I take the guy that was able to shut down the best player in the world.

DatsyukianDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:45 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 50
If you comparing their careers, Sedins have a long way to go before they can be compared with Zetterberg. Especially if he continues to be successful with the Red Wings with a C on his chest.

Sedins need to win something to be taken seriously in discussions like this.

And if you compare the as just players, Zetterberg is still the superior player.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:01 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Hard to not go with Zetterberg. Screw Toews, Z is better.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
No, more saying Zetterberg (almost) can't lose.
He'll lose. The poll needs to be against better players than he is though.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:58 AM
DRWCountryClub

The Sedins might individually be more skilled than Zetterberg(or simply are) but combine Zetterberg's consistent PPG play along with monster playoffs and top 5 defense in the league, he's my pick. He' so much more determined and clearly a better leader than the Sedins. I might go so far to say that replace a Sedin against the Bruins with Z, and they'd win the Cup(and Zetterberg would outscore either).

Sedins are under appreciated, but their overall games just don't compare, in my eyes, to Zetterberg's.

I'd take Zetterberg's 92 points in 75 games(100+ point pace), PPG playoff run, and Conn Smythe and Cup over wither of the Sedins' monster years.

DRWCountryClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty View Post
The Sedins might individually be more skilled than Zetterberg(or simply are) but combine Zetterberg's consistent PPG play along with monster playoffs and top 5 defense in the league, he's my pick. He' so much more determined and clearly a better leader than the Sedins. I might go so far to say that replace a Sedin against the Bruins with Z, and they'd win the Cup(and Zetterberg would outscore either).

Sedins are under appreciated, but their overall games just don't compare, in my eyes, to Zetterberg's.

I'd take Zetterberg's 92 points in 75 games(100+ point pace), PPG playoff run, and Conn Smythe and Cup over wither of the Sedins' monster years.
How so?

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 12:49 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
How so?
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/14...es-cup-victory

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
John McClane

vCash: 287
Nucks fan saying Zetterberg

John McClane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post

when I compare players, I| try to look at as much information as possible.

One of the ways is to compare each players season (both regular and playoffs, although I don't weigh playoffs as high because of the unequal opportunity compared to everyone getting 82 games in the regular season in more similar conditions, ie similar opponents).

On regular seasons, just on production and ignoring defensive games Zetts comes out ahead by a score of 6-3 (and will probably make it 7-3 this year).

That gap is big enough to over ride Henrik's 3 season peak over Zetts.

Basically a lot of the guys voting for the Sedins, or either one, aren't looking at the big picture or the totality of their careers which IMO isn't help full or subjective, it's like trying to make a circle fit into a square hole.

The poll is pretty indicative of which player has had the best career so far.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
uhhhhh please don't get hardyvan123 going again...... hes been non stop attacking Canucks players in recent polls.
Some Canuck fans can be really embarrassing, any subjective analysis of their production compared to others is instantly described as anti Sedin or hate of bashing.

Maybe I just have it wrong and the Sedins are really better than Wayne, Mario and Orr combined but the actual facts (like stats) show that neither player has had a career as good as Zetts.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
when I compare players, I| try to look at as much information as possible.

One of the ways is to compare each players season (both regular and playoffs, although I don't weigh playoffs as high because of the unequal opportunity compared to everyone getting 82 games in the regular season in more similar conditions, ie similar opponents).

On regular seasons, just on production and ignoring defensive games Zetts comes out ahead by a score of 6-3 (and will probably make it 7-3 this year).

That gap is big enough to over ride Henrik's 3 season peak over Zetts.

Basically a lot of the guys voting for the Sedins, or either one, aren't looking at the big picture or the totality of their careers which IMO isn't help full or subjective, it's like trying to make a circle fit into a square hole.

The poll is pretty indicative of which player has had the best career so far.
First of all, stop acting like 13-15 games this season means anything in the grand scheme of things. And sure as hell don't count Zetterberg's early season lead over the Sedins as another won season.

Let's look at since the lockout, since that is when both players broke out.

H. Sedin - 112 (09/10)
D. Sedin - 104 (10/11)
H. Sedin - 94 (10/11)
Zetterberg - 92 (07/08)
D. Sedin - 85 (09/10)
Zetterberg - 85 (05/06)
D. Sedin - 84 (06/07)
D. Sedin - 82 (08/09)
H. Sedin - 82 (08/09)
H. Sedin - 81 (11/12)
H. Sedin - 81 (06/07)
Zetterberg - 80 (10/11)
H. Sedin - 76 (07/08)
H. Sedin - 75 (05/06)
D. Sedin - 74 (07/08)
Zetterberg - 73 (08/09)
D. Sedin - 71 (05/06)
Zetterberg - 70 (09/10)
Zetterberg - 69 (11/12)
Zetterberg - 68 (06/07)
D. Sedin - 67 (11/12)

How does Zetterberg have the Sedins outprodiced 6-3? He has 5 of the lowest 10 seasons scoring between the 3 players over the last 8 seasons, and only 2 of the top 11.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote