Notices

Dany Heatley...

Old
02-18-2013, 07:08 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
id rather have heatr than hav-a-flat. i also believe he is best suited on the 2nd line due to lack of speed. (something yeo fails to realize). seto/ brodz or granlund/ heatr imo is the best position 4 him.
They tried that and it didn't work. The thing with Heater is he pretty much demands to play with players he most likely believes are his caliber of players. He was playing with Thorton and Marleau in San Jose. Spezza and Alfie in Ottawa. Savard in Atlanta. He likes playing with other ****ing all stars

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:12 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMcFatty View Post
There's a lot of talk about buying out Heatley's contract. I think it's an overreaction.

Heatley was our top scorer last year, he's the #3 point scorer this year (#2 for goals), and his contract only has 1 year left.

The guy definitely isn't worth 7.5 mil, but we have a bunch of cap space opening up next year, so it's not really a concern. And there's a strong chance that Heatley's numbers will go up once the team develops more chemistry. It's worth the small risk to hold onto him for the rest of his contract.

Get Heatley an aggressive personal trainer, and trade away some of the many 3rd liners we have instead.
My thought on this is, if we're getting serious about winning, for what we can get with the price of his contract, we buy him out and we can get a player of Perry's caliber. Maybe one on a slightly shorter term, who knows, but we can get a damned fine player.

Heatley is 3rd on our team in scoring, it's true. But no one can deny that he is looking even slower than last year and is on the decline, a fairly steep one it seems. A better player would also compliment Parise and Koivu more. Right now it's the Parise and Koivu show, with Heatley whiffing here and there. Imagine if we had another fast winger with good hands....Just imagine the player we could get for 5-7.5mil...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:16 PM
BigT2002

Honestly,

What makes you think players like Perry are going to leave their teams to be here? You'll be better pressed to get someone from teams that continue to struggle.

Plus what do we have for cap room next year and when are the RFA's going to due for the pay raises? Last thing we want is the headache Chicago had after they won the cup and had to ditch a lot of the depth on the team just to keep Toews, Kane, Keith signed long term along with Sharp, Hossa, and Seabrook.

Not to mention do we want another high priced contract when we are going to have 3 kids that deserve to be on top lines along with many of the other players we have? Zucker on the top. Coyle and Seto on the 2nd. Larrson and Clutterbuck with Brodziak on the 3rd. and Fourth Konopka, Rupp, and *insertscrubhere*

We need another Top 4 dman that actually play the position. If we are going to be serious about winning, we need to keep the opposition from scoring 3+ goals a night because we can't make a breakout pass to save our lives if it isn't Suter/Brodin/Gilbert making that pass from good defensive struggles along the boards or a blocked shot in front. Then again, I'm in the minority here that doesn't think needing to play like Chicago does and requiring 3+ goals a night to hold onto a win is really needed.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:22 PM
DANOZ28

vCash: 500
R-U-sayn heatr makes the rules & the coach has no say? i doubt that. ps note to heatr, your NOT an allstar anymore. but im still happy hes on the team.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:23 PM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
You guys realize that NHLers currently lift light amount of weights with high volume reps and speed...that's why you see Heatley only doing 120 pound squats. Hockey is all about explosion. Squatting 400 pounds makes your legs stronger but not explosive. My high school team program does the same thing modled after these NHLers...
If you're building endurance, yes, high reps of course. Say during the summer though, when you're working on strength, you lower the reps and add weight.

Heatley was barely even sweating during his workout. With doing high reps he should have been sweating like a pig if he had been pushing himself. He is also working out of his place, which never works as well. I'm not basing all of this just on that one episode, you can just look at them and see their battle and endurance, Heatley cannot maintain it well at all.

FYI, Jarome Iginla squats sets of 500lbs. I'm not going into why I know this, but it's pretty reliable, if you feel like trusting me. Hell, Mikko was squatting 450lbs+. These are pro athletes, 120 that Heatley was doing whould be nothing more than a damned warmup. If you're not doing 70-100 reps of that weight, at this level, you're not in the shape you should be in.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:33 PM
MNWILDFAN001

And for those bringing up the fact that Heatley is 3rd in points. In the 09-10 and 10-11 season, Andrew Brunette was ranked 2nd and 3rd in points. Should we have signed Brunette?

MNWILDFAN001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:01 PM
DANOZ28

bottom line when we picked up heatr he scored 26G for SJ, CF knew he wasnt getting a 50G scorer! he has a big cap hit of 7.5 mill however i think were only paying him a little over 5. he lead our pathetic team in goal scoring last year, where would we be without him???? he played all 82 gms last year not many other wild players can say that. how can you say hes not valuable?

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:30 PM
centcougar07

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Honestly,

What makes you think players like Perry are going to leave their teams to be here? You'll be better pressed to get someone from teams that continue to struggle.

Plus what do we have for cap room next year and when are the RFA's going to due for the pay raises? Last thing we want is the headache Chicago had after they won the cup and had to ditch a lot of the depth on the team just to keep Toews, Kane, Keith signed long term along with Sharp, Hossa, and Seabrook.

Not to mention do we want another high priced contract when we are going to have 3 kids that deserve to be on top lines along with many of the other players we have? Zucker on the top. Coyle and Seto on the 2nd. Larrson and Clutterbuck with Brodziak on the 3rd. and Fourth Konopka, Rupp, and *insertscrubhere*

We need another Top 4 dman that actually play the position. If we are going to be serious about winning, we need to keep the opposition from scoring 3+ goals a night because we can't make a breakout pass to save our lives if it isn't Suter/Brodin/Gilbert making that pass from good defensive struggles along the boards or a blocked shot in front. Then again, I'm in the minority here that doesn't think needing to play like Chicago does and requiring 3+ goals a night to hold onto a win is really needed.
Yeah because the headache of having guys like that has lead them to consistent playoffs and a 12-0-3 mark thus far this year, why would we ever want such a thing.

Honestly though if we can get a player like Perry, who cares? Figure out the contract situation through trades etc. if needed. The defense isn't the issue. We're middle of the pack in goals against and dare I say our goaltending is average as well. If the Wild could get forwards to spend any extended amount of time in the offensive zone we would score more and be scored on less. It's that simple. Unfortunately we have no found that ability yet. A guy like Perry would help out immensely in that area. Unlike Heatley he is still capable of 50 goals with the right linemates. We need offense.

centcougar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Perry would go from being a 50 goal scorer on the Ducks to a fringe 30 goal scorer on the Wild. We kill offense.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:42 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Perry would go from being a 50 goal scorer on the Ducks to a fringe 30 goal scorer on the Wild. We kill offense.
30 whole goals? We haven't seen that since Gabby!

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:54 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Post of the year.

Parise seems to be doing just fine though

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:58 AM
ProfessorMcFatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWILDFAN001 View Post
And for those bringing up the fact that Heatley is 3rd in points. In the 09-10 and 10-11 season, Andrew Brunette was ranked 2nd and 3rd in points. Should we have signed Brunette?
There's a difference between resigning and buying out a contract. We didn't buyout Brunette's contract, because he was productive. We also didn't re-sign him, because it was clear that he wasn't a good future investment.

ProfessorMcFatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
30 whole goals? We haven't seen that since Gabby!
I know right? What I wouldn't give just to have someone score 30 goals with us. . . .

Old
02-19-2013, 11:42 AM
grN1g

I don't see a buy out happening with Heater, I believe the management highly value his presence and leadership in the locker room more than his extra couple million he shouldn't be making.

Fletch will show class with heater and ride out his last year, after that heatley will want to stay here, but only way that happens is if he takes a big pay cut, he'll only want that for more years and security imo.

they will agree on a 3-4 year deal at around 4M-5M, with a NMC in first 2 or 3 years.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
If you're building endurance, yes, high reps of course. Say during the summer though, when you're working on strength, you lower the reps and add weight.

Heatley was barely even sweating during his workout. With doing high reps he should have been sweating like a pig if he had been pushing himself. He is also working out of his place, which never works as well. I'm not basing all of this just on that one episode, you can just look at them and see their battle and endurance, Heatley cannot maintain it well at all.

FYI, Jarome Iginla squats sets of 500lbs. I'm not going into why I know this, but it's pretty reliable, if you feel like trusting me. Hell, Mikko was squatting 450lbs+. These are pro athletes, 120 that Heatley was doing whould be nothing more than a damned warmup. If you're not doing 70-100 reps of that weight, at this level, you're not in the shape you should be in.

True...I mean we're high school athletes doing more weight than that...LOL

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Beegoalie

Did anyone ever stop to think that that episode was probably filmed after Heatley had his knee surgically repaired?? I highly doubt he can only squat 120 lbs..Get real people.

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:10 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
Did anyone ever stop to think that that episode was probably filmed after Heatley had his knee surgically repaired?? I highly doubt he can only squat 120 lbs..Get real people.
Exxaccttllyyy

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
KPRGol

Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
I don't see a buy out happening with Heater, I believe the management highly value his presence and leadership in the locker room more than his extra couple million he shouldn't be making.

Fletch will show class with heater and ride out his last year, after that heatley will want to stay here, but only way that happens is if he takes a big pay cut, he'll only want that for more years and security imo.

they will agree on a 3-4 year deal at around 4M-5M, with a NMC in first 2 or 3 years.
Why on earth would we offer Heatley 3-4 more years after the 13/14 season. And for four million! He's a barely effective player as is, you expect him to be a good player for another four years?

KPRGol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post

Where is he squating 450?

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

To put it in perspective, I squatted 270 as a 6'2 160 pound rail thin high-schooler. If you really think Heatley can only squat 120 pounds you're insane, it had to be post-knee surgery.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

now that Zucker has scored one goal, who needs Heatley?!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 09:39 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
Where is he squating 450?
Probably in the most recent Becoming Wild episode featuring Mikko. I seem to recall him squatting quite a bit in that episode but it looked more like 405 to me, not 450.

Old
02-21-2013, 10:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Looked like he had two 10 kg, two 15 kg, and two 25 kg plates plus the bar, lets say 20 kg for the bar, that's 120 kg = 265 pounds.

It's entirely possible Heatley was still rehabbing.

It's all lore by now but Gaborik was said to have squatted 500+ pounds. No firm sources though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:23 PM
theButton

Could someone explain the rationale for having Heatley out front on the forecheck? **** it's like watching a toddler chase rabbits.

theButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 01:45 PM
nickschultzfan

I really don't know where Heatley fits on this team right now. He's just soo slow, turns the puck over a lot, and can't break the puck out of the defensive zone.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote