HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you want to lose?

Old
02-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I assumed already in the fall that we will not make playoffs. Our Young Stars struggled against Minnesota's stars. OKC was just above middle of the pack in the standings. It was very obvious that they will lead Oilers below of the pack in the NHL.

Also our vetererans do not get the job done. I revived the old thread about rebuilding just because I am frustrated.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...e=6&highlight=

Probably we need to lower our expectations and trade every veteran who has trade value prior to trading deadline. At least following guys will get some return

1. Hemsky for the first round pick
2. Whitney for the 2-3rd round pick
3. Jones for the 3-4 round pick
4. Nick Schultz for the first rounder or 3nd and prospect.

I would not mind to send RNH to OKC because at this point of his life he has difficulties to take care of 2nd line center duty. Arcobello can do better job if given a chance. If we can get a decent prospect as return from above trades to help in OKC that would be great.

We will pick this year in the range of 3-10 and we need that pick. If we trade away veterans mentioned above the pick will be between 3-5. We should also try to trade for Ryan O'Reilly to secure top3 centers and sign Gagner and Smid for long term.

Next off season is crucial we need to bring here a couple of hieg end UFAs to turn the course. Complementary veterans are not needed any more but should be part of the last house cleaning. Horcoff and someone else maybe Smyth needs to be bought out and sent packing
This is abysmal...if we win the next 2 in a row and all of you blow it up again people will be replanning the parade route. We are missing a few key pieces, size in the top six, a top four dman and some grit and nastiness in our bottom six. And RNH, Hall and Ebs need to get it going. But I wouldn't write off the season yet and none of us should be hoping they lose, it really doesn't help the team build towards winning.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:44 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
We're not in last though, nor are we going to end up in last. Going into this year, the predictions from most people had us improving, but still missing the playoffs. Here we are with a game we should win that will put us in 9th or 10th (depending on if Phoenix wins).

It seems like all offseason people expect a reasonable improvement, and then as soon as the season starts, people are furious we aren't contending for first in the conference. We had an AHL calibre team before the rebuild. Even the 2nd time we finished 30th, our team was greatly improved. Go watch a game from 3-4 years ago, and try to honestly tell me we're not improved.
The team Tambo took over would beat this one quite handily.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Come on, really?? This team is stacked with talent and will be great...my hope is that the Oilers mgmt. can fill in the holes.

Old
02-16-2013, 01:50 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
In 09-10, after Penner and Gags, our leading scorers were
Brule
Horcoff
O'Sullivan
Potulny

none of which cracked 40 points, and only one (Horcoff) is even still in the NHL. Hell, Stortini played 77 games that year. That alone should tell how bad that team was

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 01:55 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
lol.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:25 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Now we are longing for the days of 09/10 again?

Final piece of the puzzle for me in that case would be a half-bottle of cheap whiskey and a rope...

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 02:34 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
In 09-10, after Penner and Gags, our leading scorers were
Brule
Horcoff
O'Sullivan
Potulny

none of which cracked 40 points, and only one (Horcoff) is even still in the NHL. Hell, Stortini played 77 games that year. That alone should tell how bad that team was
Tambo took over in 08 so I don't know why your bringing up the horrendous 09/10 team that Tambo built. In 08/09 we finished 6 points out of the playoffs the closest any of the Oilers teams he's ran have gotten.

Old
02-16-2013, 02:43 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Tambo took over in 08 so I don't know why your bringing up the horrendous 09/10 team that Tambo built. In 08/09 we finished 6 points out of the playoffs the closest any of the Oilers teams he's ran have gotten.
Because our team had been going downhill for years. That was the tipping point that caused us to finally rebuild.

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 05:00 PM
Broilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmco View Post
Seriously? So trade away our Vets for picks, Get ROR (mediocre btw) and send RNH to OKC so Arcobello can do his job?? : handclap:
Don't get sentimental. Arcobello did better job when he played with Hall and Eberle than RNH. That is a statistical fact!

RNH can play in the NHL as a 2nd line center in the good team which has game breaker first line center and top quality 3rd line center.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 06:03 PM
BOUNCE

Quote:
Don't get sentimental. Arcobello did better job when he played with Hall and Eberle than RNH. That is a statistical fact!

RNH can play in the NHL as a 2nd line center in the good team which has game breaker first line center and top quality 3rd line center.

Arcobello was invisible in his only shot in the big leagues. Cut RNH some slack. What he is doing as a nineTEEN year old is nothing short of amazing. He's having a bit of bad luck now/injury issues. He's going to become a top 10 center in this league when he's 23-24... Give him some time... Please stop with the asinine comments. Don't just look and see that Arco was dominating in the AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE with Hall and Ebs. Look at the big picture!

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Tedi

Quote:

Please try again...FAIL

Old
02-16-2013, 07:28 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Because our team had been going downhill for years. That was the tipping point that caused us to finally rebuild.
No the team only went into that cycle after Tambo arrived. The team actually had rebound seasons under Lowe, Tambo has never used an Oiler 1st round pick to pick lower then 10th which is sad considering he's been here 5 years.

Old
02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:

I'm glad you are nowhere near the team, you'd make it worst than it already is.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:08 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
You stay the course. This is only year 3 of the re-build, and everyone needs to show some patience. I'd still love to see Whitney traded for Boyle in some way however, and some other pieces brought in to help with the injuries. All things considered though, we are where i expected us to be.

Too many people panicking already... It's a 5-7 year rebuild plan so we had better learn to deal with it.
Agree with this ,but i think we could be a little better by now . The better question is would it be better to make the play offs only to have our ass kick in round one or stay the course and get a high draft pick again for a long term gain .
I am not sure . I have never lived in Edmonton , but have loved the Oilers since day one in the NHL . I hate seeing this team ice a joke of a team for the last 20 years . Having said that i do love some of our players we have right now . To me there only 2 players out of the big 5 we should keep PRV and Hart . I know some do not like PRV , but he is a good 2 way player that fast defensive and hopefully soon will be able to chip in on the offence . Our bottom 6 is a joke ,most of the time very little energy .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2013, 10:11 PM
supert

Quote:

Really . Have you ever watch RNH passing . He is one of the best in the game at 19

Old
02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
It was decided to go the route of the rebuild near the middle/end of the 2009/2010 season, and it really began in 2010/2011...as far as i can tell it just turned 2013.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...l-of-patience/

Notice the date of this story being published - Jan 24, 2012 4:00 PM ET

This is not new news...
Not real year 4 . It will be year 4 at this years draft .

Old
02-17-2013, 03:20 AM
aqib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I'm just wondering how long some of you guys are going to play the rebuild card as an excuse for being last place. 4th year? 5th year? 6th year?
If we finish last or anywhere close to it this year you would be right. If we are in the playoff hunt in the last week of the season thats progress.

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2013, 03:27 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
If we finish last or anywhere close to it this year you would be right. If we are in the playoff hunt in the last week of the season thats progress.
I think this is what most guys are hoping for. With the shortened season if we're within 4 points of 8th I'll be happy. Give these guys a chance to play under real pressure.

Old
02-17-2013, 11:54 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
1. No.
2. A change in management or head of scouting means nothing. You've gotta get Lowe out of there if Tambo fails. I'd like to see a list of people who've been fired or who've resigned from the Oilers' organization which were hired by Lowe. Don't even need to talk player contracts about this guy. We all know the skinny on that. If this group fails, it's just a further reminder that Lowe is poison.

Can you imagine if we were stuck with Vannek's contract? Seriously. How would the Sabres not had won a cup by now? Almost everything Lowe did blew up in his face. I dare say I'd take Brian Burke over K-Lowe. But not Mike Mulbury. Dammit... I'd take anyone over Mike Mulbury.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 03:40 PM
aqib

One question I have about Lowe, and admittedly I am not as up-to-speed on the inner workings of the Oilers having never lived in Edmonton, but how was the same guy able to put together the 05-06 team in a series of great moves and then not been able to do anything right since then?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib View Post
One question I have about Lowe, and admittedly I am not as up-to-speed on the inner workings of the Oilers having never lived in Edmonton, but how was the same guy able to put together the 05-06 team in a series of great moves and then not been able to do anything right since then?
lightning in a bottle. lowe had just an ok team, but some players got on hot streaks at just the right time, everyone bought in, and they played over their heads for two months, (i.e. Pisani) plus don't forget the Pronger factor.
after that, Lowe was grasping at fairies.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:03 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
lightning in a bottle. lowe had just an ok team, but some players got on hot streaks at just the right time, everyone bought in, and they played over their heads for two months, (i.e. Pisani) plus don't forget the Pronger factor.
Agreed. Guys when discussing Lowe's failures post cup run please let's not forget how every player Lowe went after rejected the Oilers. It's not like we had much choice, we COULDN'T get better because better players refused to sign here. Do you really think that Lowe wanted to sign RFAs like Penner and Vanek? He really didn't have much of a choice. We had no farm team to develop our draft picks and we were picking middle of the pack so it's not like we were getting gems anyway. Rebuilding was the best option. BTW this situation continued into Tambellini's reign. Man some people have such a short attention span.

God knows I've criticized the management plenty of times and I think it's ridiculous to agree with every move they've made but overall this team has improved from last year and the two years before it. We shouldn't be looking to make big moves or replace any of our stars, let them develop and enjoy the rewards when the fruit ripens.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
MacT was brilliant.

Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I'm just wondering how long some of you guys are going to play the rebuild card as an excuse for being last place. 4th year? 5th year? 6th year?
I've wondered the same thing.

What scares me is that if this team finishes lets say 22nd people are going to say "improvement!!!" which is just going to keep the clown here.

It amazes me that people think its ok to finish last, last, second last in a cap league...IN A CAP LEAGUE. You have to build an incredibly ****** team to do that, it actually is the worst in history because when the nordiques did it there was no cap.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:41 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone View Post
MacT was brilliant.
I was never a fan of the guy however the adjustments after game 2 against the sharks were probably the biggest turning point in the playoffs in my opinion.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote