HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"NHL dream still alive in Connecticut"

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2013, 07:24 PM
NHL Hartford

vCash: 500
Hutch & Garbage the Wolf Pack brand died for a reason. It was a stale brand.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=6046

Not a very wise business decision if it happens. The XL Center will revert back to being a library, the curtains will be brought back and attendance will once again plummet, but yea the Wolf Pack brand was much better off.

Old
02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo8192 View Post
What all 50 of them? C'mon now.
You realize that under the green jersey, and the Whale logo, it's still the baby Rangers, right?

I don't understand why Whaler boosters are so pleased they hijacked a team and peeved off a group of people who were enjoying AHL hockey when all they could do is complain it wasn't the NHL and wouldn't watch it. If you really care, show up on a Wednesday night once in awhile.

By the by, the Whale Bowl, and it's questionable head count, helped make two years ago look slightly better than it was.

Last edited by GarbageGoal: 02-16-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old
02-16-2013, 11:44 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Hutch & Garbage the Wolf Pack brand died for a reason. It was a stale brand.

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan...h.php?tmi=6046

Not a very wise business decision if it happens. The XL Center will revert back to being a library, the curtains will be brought back and attendance will once again plummet, but yea the Wolf Pack brand was much better off.
you're losing the battle here, bobo, because even the Hartford fanbase is indeed in support of the latest Currant article, and will have the support of President Andrews, the challenge is and was then would MSG operate the arena and the franchise, ie total control, or Gottenschiender who got awarded the rights to XL.... You seem to forget that bit of information, as most AHL Fans, like GG, follow this religiously, the reason it changed is because WSE got the marketing contract, which Baldwin owned the trademark "Whale" BECAUSE "Whalers" IS OWNED and trademarked by the NHL. the issue became why November 2010 and not after the 2010-11 season.

Old
02-17-2013, 03:28 AM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
you're losing the battle here, bobo, because even the Hartford fanbase is indeed in support of the latest Currant article, and will have the support of President Andrews, the challenge is and was then would MSG operate the arena and the franchise, ie total control, or Gottenschiender who got awarded the rights to XL.... You seem to forget that bit of information, as most AHL Fans, like GG, follow this religiously, the reason it changed is because WSE got the marketing contract, which Baldwin owned the trademark "Whale" BECAUSE "Whalers" IS OWNED and trademarked by the NHL. the issue became why November 2010 and not after the 2010-11 season.
Baldwin was brought in by the Rangers, they didn't have to, but why did they? It was because before the 3 year extension was signed in 2010 the Rangers we're ready to pack their bags and leave Hartford. So why are Wolf Pack fans bitter over their parent club simply calling the shots?

Old
02-17-2013, 03:40 AM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
You realize that under the green jersey, and the Whale logo, it's still the baby Rangers, right?

I don't understand why Whaler boosters are so pleased they hijacked a team and peeved off a group of people who were enjoying AHL hockey when all they could do is complain it wasn't the NHL and wouldn't watch it. If you really care, show up on a Wednesday night once in awhile.

The team was hardly hijacked. All the Wolf Pack fans seem to forget that MSG were the ones who handed the keys over to Baldwin thus enabling the re-brand.

Quote:
By the by, the Whale Bowl, and it's questionable head count, helped make two years ago look slightly better than it was.
This bit is hard to decipher, but I'm not sure how it's relevant. The Whale brand doubled the ST holder base and has seen 3 crowds over 13k in 2 1/2 years compared to the Wolf Pack who's only crowd over 13,000 came in 1998.

Old
02-17-2013, 01:27 PM
buketdude

I don't care what the name is, having the Rangers team in Hartford is bad for this area. Global is not making a smart business decision...They should have gone after the Wild to bring there team here... attendance will continue to drop...they will be in the bottom 10 until they get a new affiliate and some building improvments/new concessions vendor

Old
02-17-2013, 02:04 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
I don't care what the name is, having the Rangers team in Hartford is bad for this area. Global is not making a smart business decision...They should have gone after the Wild to bring there team here... attendance will continue to drop...they will be in the bottom 10 until they get a new affiliate and some building improvments/new concessions vendor
All too true. The majority of hockey fans in Greater Hartford are not Rangers fans. Those fans who make up the majority stay away from Hartford because with Yale, Qu, Springfield, Bridgeport and Danbury they have the ability to spend their hockey dollar$$ elsewhere and not have to pay for a product they won't enjoy watching.

A neutral affiliation is in order for this market. Why must MSG put the stranglehold on us? They'd be much better off in New York (Utica, Glens Falls, Albany) and Hartford would be much better off with another affiliate, but it seems even in the world of the ever changing landscape of the AHL, Hartford is somehow ball and chained to the Rangers and it's to this market's detriment.

The Rockcats succeed in large part because of their neutral affiliation, nobody would dare to bring either the Red Sox/Yankees to New Britain, why isn't that same logic applied to an AHL team?

Oh and Hutch, the Rangers also registered HartfordWhale.com, which IMO should have been used in the first place.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-18-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 02:47 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
I would argue the final nail was making the name change to the Whale in the first place, alienating the people who had bought into the Wolf Pack brand for 15 years. It is ridiculous to me that anyone even remotely fell for that nonsense. They still aren't drawing.
Actually, I think the issue was not the name change itself, but the fact that th name change occurred mid season. that's kind of ridiculous in my opinion... its not like if phoenix moved and then had to change its name, its more like the islanders changing their name to the Americans next month, a month before the finals start..

Old
02-17-2013, 03:30 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Actually, I think the issue was not the name change itself, but the fact that th name change occurred mid season. that's kind of ridiculous in my opinion... its not like if phoenix moved and then had to change its name, its more like the islanders changing their name to the Americans next month, a month before the finals start..
I agree the name change was done in haste, but let's remember who/how/why it happened midseason. It all goes back to MSG. If Baldwin hadn't come in the Rangers were gone that's why after he signed the 3 year deal he was in a hurry to turn over to the Whale ASAP and get going with the re-brand. HB ultimately ran out of $$, but low and behold, he was extorted than vilified by the same entities who drained him. MSG with the 1.1 Mil affiliation fee (600k more than they charged AEG for this season, also AEG charged Baldwin 25k per game for use of the XL Center more than double the next highest rent fee in the AHL.) AHL executives correctly labeled this as the most "onerous" lease in the league

In a perfect World the team would have been re-branded Hartford Whale for the beginning of the 10-11 season with a better logo than the current one and HB would have gotten a fair shake from AEG/MSG and the team would be on better footing. The Whale Bowl was hastily done as well, but they only had 3 years on the clock to put some big changes in motion.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-17-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old
02-17-2013, 07:17 PM
NHL Hartford

And now the most ironic part about this whole ordeal? If Baldwin hadn't opened up his mouth/wallet and came to the Rangers and asked them to manage the team so they didn't leave they wouldn't be here in Hartford they would be in Albany right now. Hartford would have found another affiliate and everyone would be happy besides the very, very small portion of Wolf Pack fans who will be gone once the Rangers are gone.

Old
02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 50
Could the Whale be out and the Wolf Pack back in fairly soon?

http://www.icethetics.info/blog/2013...e-no-more.html

Old
02-17-2013, 11:14 PM
NHL Hartford

Go Rangers you know how to incite the anger of an entire market single-handily

Old
02-17-2013, 11:21 PM
NHL Hartford

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...=photo_comment

Just some fans opinion on the situation.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...=share_comment

http://whalers.courant2.com/viewtopi...=1849&start=20

Old
02-18-2013, 07:51 PM
azaloum90

I really can see Hartford in about 5 years becoming another strong NHL market...

I don't know why, or how, but I really do. The NHL seems to be realizing that killing previous solid markets was a bad idea. They jumped the gun on southern expansion, too much too early. Now they are paying the price. I feel like they not only forgive the citizens when returning teams to their original state, but also reclaim previous lost ground and profits... win win, imo...

Why go for seattle when hartford was a market that actually worked?

Just my two cents

Old
02-18-2013, 08:28 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
I really can see Hartford in about 5 years becoming another strong NHL market...

I don't know why, or how, but I really do. The NHL seems to be realizing that killing previous solid markets was a bad idea. They jumped the gun on southern expansion, too much too early. Now they are paying the price. I feel like they not only forgive the citizens when returning teams to their original state, but also reclaim previous lost ground and profits... win win, imo...

Why go for seattle when hartford was a market that actually worked?

Just my two cents
Exactly it was a good market to begin with and if they came back people would go bonkers. I don't know if you can say the same for Seattle considering the NHL would be behind the 4 other leagues in terms of popularity and the NHL would start behind the 8ball. Hartford's a northern, relatively large tv market, has $$ and corporations, has a popular team brand/identity with the Whalers and also has a track record of support for a team that won ONE playoff series, ONE division title and finished with a winning record only 3/18 years of their existence.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:06 PM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
One additional problem Hartford faces...
  • There are currently 16 NHL teams in Eastern Time
  • Barring a miracle, "make it 17" with Quebec next season
  • Adding Hartford would be 18
In the past the NHLPA didn't complain about really strange alignments
  • Philadelphia and Pittsburgh in the West from the days of "the 2nd six"
  • Vancouver played in the EAST during its early years
  • the 1974-75 alignment was beyond insane
  • I could go on and on
Now, under Fehr, they're very argumentative over a much more rational setup.

Old
02-18-2013, 09:28 PM
NHL Hartford

Understand the sentiment Knight, but keep CBJ in the West along with slotting the Jets into the West, expand to Seattle and there's not much of an issue. Seattle, Winnipeg and Columbus would round out the Western Conference with 16 teams.

Last edited by NHL Hartford: 02-25-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old
02-18-2013, 09:39 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Understand the sentiment Knight, but keep CBJ in the West along with slotting the Jets into the West, expand to Seattle and there's not much of an issue. Seattle, Winninpeg and Columbus would round out the Western Conference with 16 teams.
Not only that, but keeping those teams and realigning the conferences would further reduce western travel as well....

Which begs the question... would Hartford be a relocation or expansion market?

I guess it really depends on where Phoenix goes?

Old
02-18-2013, 09:50 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Not only that, but keeping those teams and realigning the conferences would further reduce western travel as well....
And Eastern Conference travel.

Quote:
Which begs the question... would Hartford be a relocation or expansion market?

I guess it really depends on where Phoenix goes?
Believe it or not I've heard expansion, but yea we'll have to wait and see how the Phoenix situation pans out first.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
And Eastern Conference travel.

Believe it or not I've heard expansion, but yea we'll have to wait and see how the Phoenix situation pans out first.
Perhaps they are letting the people of ct get desperate to pay a hefty expansion fee?.... dunno... I think they could get just as big of a fee from Quebec city as well

Old
02-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
There's no way Hartford will be able to get the funds to build an arena and match what Markham and Quebec City would be willing to pay for an expansion franchise.

Relocation is Hartford's only hope...and that's not much of one.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
02-19-2013, 02:40 PM
NHL Hartford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
There's no way Hartford will be able to get the funds to build an arena and match what Markham and Quebec City would be willing to pay for an expansion franchise.

Relocation is Hartford's only hope...and that's not much of one.
I believe relocation is the only route as well and I do believe we'll see 1 other team along with the Coyotes moved in the next 5 years.

I understand the league stands to make a lot of $ for expansion into Canada, I just don't know if I'm buying the league placing more than 8 teams there. 24 American teams and 8 Canadian seems to strike the perfect balance.

Old
02-19-2013, 02:52 PM
NHL Hartford

Old
02-19-2013, 02:54 PM
NHL Hartford

http://youtu.be/g1kHx6ZBfd0 For some reason it won't embed.

Old
02-19-2013, 04:07 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
That video is awesome...

I'm telling you. Whalers in Hartford. It will happen. I am convinced

EDIT: Watching the Video with Molloy talking. He also seems convinced that a team that could work in Hartford would be a relocation, not an Expansion team

Closed Thread