HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Plekanec on his way to a Selke nomination?

Old
02-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Saundies

vCash: 500
I'd love to see it. Way too underrated. I think if he were constantly in the #2 center he would actually get some recognition for what he does, but where he's our #1 most of the time it's almost expected, and compared to the true #1 centers in the league, even underwhelming.

Heart and soul guy who quietly does his job and more, and remains humble doing it. Gotta love turtle-pleks.

Saundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Love to see him be nominated. Quietest 8 goals in 15 games ive ever seen.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Unfairly or not, his FO% will take him out of contention.
How is that unfair? Face offs are an extremely important part to penalty killing and playing solid defense in general.

I think Plekanec is generally well known around the league as a great two-way center, but you are absolutely right in that he won't get the recognition until he wins more faceoffs. He's doing relatively well so far this season, but FO%s < 50% will not get you a sniff of the Selke, unfortunately.

In fact, the whole team is brutal. We need Carbonneau back to help these guys learn to win a draw.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Bloumeister
Gros chef bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
For all you Plekanec lovers, i will admit this: Plekanec is playing decent this year so far. Good job Plek!!
Don't. Ever. Do. This. Again.

I read this while in the car, almost had an accident.

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Don't. Ever. Do. This. Again.

I read this while in the car, almost had an accident.
LOL! Be careful man!!

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:04 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
Yep.

20 pts in his first 20 games last year.
20 pts in his first 17 games in 2010-11
24 pts in his 24 first games in 2009-10

Even in his terrible 2008-09 season (39 points), he got 10 points in his 12 first games.

That being said, I sure hope he can keep the pace this season!
Exactly what I was going to post. He usually fades into an ultra conservative style at about the 1/4 mark of the season.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:23 AM
SB164

His shutdown abilities are truly underrated. Just ask David Krejci how frustrating it is to play against Pleks. Now, if only we had someone else to stop Patrice F. Bergeron.

Last edited by SB164: 02-19-2013 at 12:34 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:33 AM
Jigger77

I hope so for him. Awesome all around hockey player. Doesn't have top end skill, isn't super physical but makes up for it with his smarts. Kind of guy that can do everything and knows where to be on the ice, knows what to do with and without the puck. Vital player and your prototypical on-ice leader. Lets his play do the talking. In fact, the whole team tonight kind of looked like it was molded around his style of play.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:40 AM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
His shutdown abilities are truly underrated. Just ask David Krejci how frustrating it is to play against Pleks. Now, if only we had someone else to stop Patrice F. Bergeron.
Lars F. Eller

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:50 AM
habtastic

If the season ended today, for sure!

Not sure if he can keep up this pace, particularly if Bourque and Gio don't keep up (more worried about the latter, but not that much).

Pleks is my favourite and it would be awesome if he won the Selke. He's underrated by the whole league, but mostly by Habs fans. If there is ever a role model for a kid growing up learning how to play hockey in MTL (edit: or as a Habs fan), it's Tomas Plekanec. Hockey is about brains and hard work. If you have size, you can ignore the others to some extent.

I hope he does at least get in the running at the end of the season. (Which would put us very comfortably in the playoffs too!)

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:51 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post

"I hate him"
- #46 Boston Bruins
- Plek's teammate on the Czech team

Old
02-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
If the season ended today, for sure!

Not sure if he can keep up this pace, particularly if Bourque and Gio don't keep up (more worried about the latter, but not that much).

Pleks is my favourite and it would be awesome if he won the Selke. He's underrated by the whole league, but mostly by Habs fans. If there is ever a role model for a kid growing up learning how to play hockey in MTL, it's Tomas Plekanec. Hockey is about brains and hard work. If you have size, you can ignore the others to some extent.

I hope he does at least get in the running at the end of the season. (Which would put us very comfortably in the playoffs too!)
Nice commendations on Plecky. I agree about the role model comment and about the brains comment. I felt the same way about Carbonneau growing up. It's nice to see him that get recognition.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:12 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Nice commendations on Plecky. I agree about the role model comment and about the brains comment. I felt the same way about Carbonneau growing up. It's nice to see him that get recognition.
And I'm old enough to have seen Carbo (was at least able to pay attention to his play for the '93 cup at a 9 year old) so it's coming from that same place of appreciating that kind of player. I love the guys who have given everything to this team, including Carbo, Gainey, Pleks and Saku (amongst others). He's (TP) pretty much matured in front of our eyes and you can see how he's learned the game since sporting 35.

Old
02-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 174
Plekanec is also 9th in the league in goals scored this year... could he win the Rocket Richard trophy?

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote