HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Talk

Old
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSanchez View Post
If we're towards the end of the first round, Anthony Mantha might fit that description.
I expect the Sharks to be at the same point that they finished last year. Barely in the playoffs and in the mid-to-late teen range of the 1st round. And this year, for me, is just like last year. They're better off trading back and getting a few more picks. This year probably more than last year with more depth in the draft.

But while it's fun to talk who the Sharks will pick, it's just shots in the dark til we know where they're picking. If they keep up their current play, they'll pick 1st overall.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd View Post

but while it's fun to talk who the sharks will pick, it's just shots in the dark til we know if they're picking. If they keep up their current play, they'll panic and trade their 1st round pick :p
fify

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:25 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Fin Soup View Post
fify
No you didn't. They will pick in the draft, it just depends on where.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
DW loves Germans. You're in good hands.

(It has occurred to me that you know this and that's why you're a Sharks fan. )
Youre thinking of Dean Lombardi.

Evincar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 05:32 PM
DrSanchez
Back it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Youre thinking of Dean Lombardi.
? DW's drafted quite a few Germans over the years. None since Abeltshauser in 2010 though.

EDIT: Actually, forgot Daniel O'Regan was born in Berlin. So I guess you could count him too.

DrSanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

I'm calling a Bo Horvat pick.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 07:57 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I'm calling a Bo Horvat pick.
He seems like a DW pick. Not much upside though. I like Horvat but not in the first round.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Evincar
Your Final Judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSanchez View Post
? DW's drafted quite a few Germans over the years. None since Abeltshauser in 2010 though.

EDIT: Actually, forgot Daniel O'Regan was born in Berlin. So I guess you could count him too.
Well DL drafted Sturm, Goc, and Ehrhoff so he came to mind first. I guess you could say the Sharks love Germans.

Last edited by Evincar: 02-18-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Evincar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 09:40 PM
SFSharkie

I'd like to see to see one of these forwards picked: Anthony Mantha (LW), Max Domi (C) Kerby Rychel (LW), or Adam Erne(RW) for various reasons. Either way I believe we desperately could use a forward prospect like those above. (Assuming we aren't so terrible that we end up with a top ten pick, in which case I'd obviously want the next tier up)

Mantha: goal scorer, big, good speed,skill (knock on him is consistency)
Domi: Excellent skating, Excellent skill/hands (knock is his size mostly)
Rychel : another sniper type but also good playmaker, skating is good not great, physical but not great defensively
Erne: solid all around player who competes and is the type that helps you win (goes to the hard areas) also has size.

Either way we definitely need a youth movement when it comes to the forward group, any of these guys would help.

SFSharkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Bure80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Well DL drafted Sturm, Goc, and Ehrhoff so he came to mind first. I guess you could say the Sharks love Germans.
He should have a eye on the Draft eligables Germans 2014/15.
Best example is Leon Draisaitl.

Last edited by Bure80: 02-18-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Bure80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
I'd like to see to see one of these forwards picked: Anthony Mantha (LW), Max Domi (C) Kerby Rychel (LW), or Adam Erne(RW) for various reasons. Either way I believe we desperately could use a forward prospect like those above. (Assuming we aren't so terrible that we end up with a top ten pick, in which case I'd obviously want the next tier up)

Mantha: goal scorer, big, good speed,skill (knock on him is consistency)
Domi: Excellent skating, Excellent skill/hands (knock is his size mostly)
Rychel : another sniper type but also good playmaker, skating is good not great, physical but not great defensively
Erne: solid all around player who competes and is the type that helps you win (goes to the hard areas) also has size.

Either way we definitely need a youth movement when it comes to the forward group, any of these guys would help.
I'm down with Mantha or Erne, but I have concerns with Rychel and Domi.

While Domi has tons of offensive skill, he's a horrible neutral zone player and defensive player. He puts up numbers in the OHL, but he has almost no two-way play. And the biggest issue is of course, his size, which leads me to believe that he can't develop a passable two-way game. He's extremely sheltered in London with Chris Tierney and Bo Horvat playing difficult defensive minutes, and Domi playing almost exclusively in the offensive zone. And, of course, London is an amazing team, so that certainly effects Domi's numbers. Also worth taking into consideration is Domi's a diabetic, although he seems to be managing it fine.

As for Rychel, my concern is that he can't put up numbers unless he's playing with an elite playmaker. Last season, he put up great numbers playing with Alexander Khokhlachev. This season, Khokhlachev went to play in the KHL and Rychel's numbers absolutely plummeted. Then Khokhlachev came back after the WJC, and Rychel's numbers ballooned. I haven't seen him play much, but that would be a serious concern for me. Besides skating and defensive issues, I just don't know if he has the offensive upside worthy of a first rounder. Plus, he's a really early birthday, 3 weeks from being drafted in 2012.

Old
02-18-2013, 10:24 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
I'm down with Mantha or Erne, but I have concerns with Rychel and Domi.

While Domi has tons of offensive skill, he's a horrible neutral zone player and defensive player. He puts up numbers in the OHL, but he has almost no two-way play. And the biggest issue is of course, his size, which leads me to believe that he can't develop a passable two-way game. He's extremely sheltered in London with Chris Tierney and Bo Horvat playing difficult defensive minutes, and Domi playing almost exclusively in the offensive zone. And, of course, London is an amazing team, so that certainly effects Domi's numbers. Also worth taking into consideration is Domi's a diabetic, although he seems to be managing it fine.

As for Rychel, my concern is that he can't put up numbers unless he's playing with an elite playmaker. Last season, he put up great numbers playing with Alexander Khokhlachev. This season, Khokhlachev went to play in the KHL and Rychel's numbers absolutely plummeted. Then Khokhlachev came back after the WJC, and Rychel's numbers ballooned. I haven't seen him play much, but that would be a serious concern for me. Besides skating and defensive issues, I just don't know if he has the offensive upside worthy of a first rounder. Plus, he's a really early birthday, 3 weeks from being drafted in 2012.
There've been quite a few people, who have been watching London, that like Horvat more than Domi. It also seems like the thing with Horvat is either spend time on the 4th line with Tierney and forecheck the hell out of everything or spend top 6 time and score like one. Seems like they have him spending more time in a forechecking role than scoring role. That's all I really have to add.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:37 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
I think you've missed the memo on Lazar. Was a top-10 lock to start the year, but he seems to not have much offensive upside, so he's in the 20-30 range. I want to stay the hell away from him we have enough 3C prospects.

But he hits good. So yeah. Truculence.
yeah i musta missed that. i thought he had 25-30-55 upside...

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:52 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

I don't have any problem with drafting skill over size. The problem is drafting that skill player who is durable enough to stay in the NHL, has the work ethic, and doesn't have character issues.

I am a big fan of the Nieto pick.

This Hurley kid does look like he has skill, but doesn't look like his hands are good enough. Doesn't look like top line talent to be quite honest.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:59 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowDash View Post
I don't have any problem with drafting skill over size. The problem is drafting that skill player who is durable enough to stay in the NHL, has the work ethic, and doesn't have character issues.

I am a big fan of the Nieto pick.

This Hurley kid does look like he has skill, but doesn't look like his hands are good enough. Doesn't look like top line talent to be quite honest.
Well, it's not like Hurley's projected as a first rounder or anything. He's usually projected late 2nd or early 3rd.

As for Lazar, he's still worth taking in the first round as he's a really safe pick and probably a sure-fire NHLer, he just doesn't have much upside and we need upside.

Old
02-20-2013, 07:41 PM
stalockrox

I'm assuming the Sharks won't be drafting higher then 18, probably in the bottom third again so I'm only listing players that could be available where the Sharks are drafting.

As of today, the two guys that should available that are at the top of my 'want' list are Anthony Duclair and Jason Dickinson.

A couple of other players that interest me are Gauthier and De La Rose. Also really like Erne, Domi and Shinkaruk who could all 'slip' in the draft for different reasons but I doubt they'll be available.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 07:43 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I'm assuming the Sharks won't be drafting higher then 18, probably in the bottom third again so I'm only listing players that could be available where the Sharks are drafting.

As of today, the two guys that should available that are at the top of my 'want' list are Anthony Duclair and Jason Dickinson.

A couple of other players that interest me are Gauthier and De La Rose. Also really like Erne, Domi and Shinkaruk who could all 'slip' in the draft for different reasons but I doubt they'll be available.
Really like Duclair, I think he'd be available, the only question is that he doesn't seem like a DW type of player. Haven't heard too much about Dickenson recently, what's the story with him?

Erne would be my ultimate middle ten pick if he slips.

Old
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Really like Duclair, I think he'd be available, the only question is that he doesn't seem like a DW type of player. Haven't heard too much about Dickenson recently, what's the story with him?

Erne would be my ultimate middle ten pick if he slips.
What about Duclair do you think DW wouldn't like? Hardworking, high hockey IQ, skilled, I'd think he's very much a typical Sharks pick.

Dickinson has some big time upside. A couple of scouts who cover the OHL that I've chatted with absolutely love him. He does everything very well, size, skating, grit, skill, smart - I guess he's kind of come a bit out of nowhere this season.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2013, 08:07 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
What about Duclair do you think DW wouldn't like? Hardworking, high hockey IQ, skilled, I'd think he's very much a typical Sharks pick.

Dickinson has some big time upside. A couple of scouts who cover the OHL that I've chatted with absolutely love him. He does everything very well, size, skating, grit, skill, smart - I guess he's kind of come a bit out of nowhere this season.
Specifically, Duclair's size and lack of notable two-way play. To which I say, **** it, we need a guy with blazing speed, hands, and skill, but this is DW.

I'll have to keep trade of Dickinson, I've seen him mentioned favorably, but I just haven't had the chance to see him play or even get an in depth scouting report.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:33 PM
SFSharkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzj6i9p72TA

Let me also say, I "kinda" like this kid too...

Old
02-24-2013, 02:48 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSharkie View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzj6i9p72TA

Let me also say, I "kinda" like this kid too...
Of the projected top 3, he's the guy the Sharks could use most right now
Ruined for Drouin; pass it on.

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:58 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Kid's got monster upside, but he's also got severe effort issues. He's also not super physical for being 6'4''.

However, if those effort issues make him slide like they did Brandon Saad, then we ought to pick him up.
I don't want anyone with effort issues. The Sharks haven't turned one around yet. The org is not suited to instilling motivation. Part of it is that they rush prospects, giving them their payday too soon.

Effort issue draftees:
Kaspar
Bernier
Seto
Wishart

It is very typical for big players to have effort issues because they can dominate with size alone when playing in junior or equivalent. It only becomes a problem when they face stiffer competition and by then it is too late to develop the work habits.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:13 PM
SFSharkie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7YDx...ature=youtu.be

More Drouin.... jeez that kid is talented. Also of note is the fact that Lalancette (our prospect) is the kid guarding him (or attempting to)

Old
02-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Alaskanice

Throw my hat in the circle for Jason Dickinson. I like hearing about his huge upside. No jokes, please.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 04:30 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't want anyone with effort issues. The Sharks haven't turned one around yet. The org is not suited to instilling motivation. Part of it is that they rush prospects, giving them their payday too soon.

Effort issue draftees:
Kaspar
Bernier
Seto
Wishart

It is very typical for big players to have effort issues because they can dominate with size alone when playing in junior or equivalent. It only becomes a problem when they face stiffer competition and by then it is too late to develop the work habits.
I had a feeling that you might say so. I'm curious; what is your opinion on how Getzlaf turned it around? He slid in the '03 draft because of perceived lack of effort. He was a big dude, just like Mantha. He sure as hell turned it around.

Also, holy mother of Jonathan Drouin. I'd kill to get him. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong at first overall this year, between Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, even Barkov.