HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jake Allen vs. Brian Elliott

View Poll Results: Who stays?
Jake Allen 23 41.07%
Brian Elliott 33 58.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-19-2013, 02:14 AM
underslept
well-informed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Not only have I also felt the way you guys do about Halak's relationship with the team, but I also had a weird thought about Halak not actually being injured. In this crazy scenario of mine, he wasn't able to handle the pressure the media was putting on his return with Elliott and the team's struggles...I imagined him puking in a trash can and wimping out last second, throwing Elliott right back to the wolves. I know that's not what happened, but Oshie seemed uber pissed.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 02:53 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

For people asking about the Halak-was-healthy or Oshie-hates-Halak conspiracy theories, Bernie asked Oshie about the news that Halak wouldn't start and Oshie said, "For whatever reason, Jaro didn't want to go or didn't think he could go..."

Out of context, that sounds like Oshie thinks Halak is faking or won't play through some pain, but in context, the Blues had just lost against LA and he was upset about losing. Is it possible that's really what Oshie thinks? Okay, sure. Is it possible that's really what's going on with Halak? Anything's possible.

But I hope we can all agree that's a lot to deduce from very little. I wouldn't be surprised if some far worse accusations were said among the team during the losing streak. Hell, when Backes said that guys on the team were looking at the stat sheet, counting cookies instead of taking hits to make plays for the team, that's not a small claim and I have no problem with it, even if it's untrue. You don't have to be counting your points to play bad hockey. But when Hitch, Backes, and Pietro talked publicly about turning it around immediately, the team actually did it. I'm sure even the players who were already working hard wanted to prove that they weren't the guys Backes was talking about.

An interesting thing to me is in Burnside's recent Blues articles, quoting Hitchcock about making Allen a part of the team as quickly as possible. Combine that with his choice to keep playing Allen and I think that says more about the situation than a brief, out of context, post-game, five game losing streak quote. The Blues obviously lost confidence when Halak went down and they now have some of it back in front of Allen. I have no need for a conspiracy beyond that.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 03:09 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by underslept View Post

It played out cartoon-ish in my head. If Hall can do it, so can Jaro.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Renard

Allen has created quite a problem for Armstrong. It seems that they will keep putting Allen out there until he lays an egg. Then they can justify it to the team and the fans to return him to the minors.

So, its really up to Allen. If they keep playing him, and he keeps playing well, it will force the Blues to try to trade Elliott ( the Blues seem dedicated to Halak as the NO. 1 goalie, altho it has been more Elliott's slump that Halak's stellar play that cements Halak's status.)

I have sympathy for Elliott, who played in the all star game just a year ago. But that's life.

One final thought. What exactly was Halak's injury? He left the game in Detroit after taking a shot to the mask. I don't recall the telecast crew saying anything about a groin injury, and I assumed he went out because he was dizzy from the shot. Later, I recall Rutherford saying that Halak was in the locker room after the game, walking without discomfort. What was the injury and where did it occur?

Last edited by Renard: 02-19-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:53 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Voted for Allen.

But of course Allen will go back to Peoria to work on staying up since he is going down too much. At least Allen stopped the bleeding.

As for Elliott, he is and always will be a backup, Elliott's proven that. I hope they trade Elliott for a bag of pucks in the offseason.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 09:57 AM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

would elliott for a third? be a decent trade in this deep draft this year? and it would save us a few hundred thousand dollars in salary.

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renard View Post
Allen has created quite a problem for Armstrong. It seems that they will keep putting Allen out there until he lays an egg. Then they can justify it to the team and the fans to return him to the minors.

So, its really up to Allen. If they keep playing him, and he keeps playing well, it will force the Blues to try to trade Elliott ( the Blues seem dedicated to Halak as the NO. 1 goalie, altho it has been more Elliott's slump that Halak's stellar play that cements Halak's status.)

I have sympathy for Elliott, who played in the all star game just a year ago. But that's life.

One final thought. What exactly was Halak's injury? He left the game in Detroit after taking a shot to the mask. I don't recall the telecast crew saying anything about a groin injury, and I assumed he went out because he was dizzy from the shot. Later, I recall Rutherford saying that Halak was in the locker room after the game, walking without discomfort. What was the injury and where did it occur?
JR said it happened on Zetterberg's breakaway goal. I originally thought it had something to do with the puck to the face, but apparently he tweaked his groin going side to side trying to stop Z.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Renard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
JR said it happened on Zetterberg's breakaway goal. I originally thought it had something to do with the puck to the face, but apparently he tweaked his groin going side to side trying to stop Z.
Thanks for the information. Its odd that he didn't leave the game after the Zetterberg goal, which came at 11:53 of the first period (8 minutes and seven seconds into the game). According to the offical stats, Halak played almost another half a period (he played 16:09 in the game, so he left the game at 3:51 of the first period). I don't recall seeing him in the game after the shot to the mask. He must have left the game during a commercial break because I don't recall seeing him leave or Elliott coming in.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 12:51 PM
HooliganX2

I hope Oshie doesn't really think Halak is faking. Groin injuries suck and until you've had one you really wouldn't understand. I personally want Halak to rest as long as needed to be healthy. For a goalie a groin injury would make him a real liability. The whole side to side movement for a goalie would be extremely limited.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Guys, i really don't think Elliott is getting traded...this year. Allen can go down without clearing waivers. If Halak comes back in and plays well, Allen is going back to Peoria. He gave us a huge shot in the arm and gave us some confidence. The team will start playing better and the goalies will look better. Everybody is jumping on the "dump Elliott" bandwagon too quickly. Allen has played well, but the team in front of him was playing better. I don't remember who mentioned it, but Elliott didn't play over the lockout. That killed him. He'll be better. But I truly believe that if Allen continues to play well for the rest of the year, we will see him with the big club next year full time.

Vladys Gumption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses

I didn't vote here because I don't think there is even an option.

I do not see much value in trading Elliott while his value is not at its top potential. He is still a great backup and now we know after this years skid and last years playoffs, he is not at his best when he has the whole workload. I think Halak and Elliott make each other better which worked last year and should continue to work this year.

The main reason I do not think we have an option is if we put Elliott through waivers and he gets picked up, we will be in a terrible position if Halak gets re-injured. How would you feel with Allen and McKenna going into a final stretch or even the playoffs?

We have depth, lets continue to use it.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Bluesome

I've been telling my friend for a a few weeks now that I felt that Allen was NHL ready, but he was quick to point out his lackluster performance in the AHL. Looking over his stats quickly you'll see that he's traditionally one of those "Slow Starter" types, but brings it on in the final leg of the season, leading into the playoff races and what not.

Psychologically to me that says that Allen is bored in the AHL and is looking for the next step, and challenge in his career. Typical underachiever, but someone who possesses the raw talent to generate the type of excitement and hype that he has this past week given that he has the ability to "steal" games.

My buddy points out that I shouldn't be too excited because all in all, Allen's Save% isn't that great, but I'm still intrigued by his ability to win when it mattered. To me it's just an intangible skill that he has and I think everyone else recognizes that too.

The problem is when you leave Allen up to be Halak's backup this year, does that same boredom set in that will result in complacency and poor performance. It's a tough call.

It should be noted though that my opinion is very skewed in favor of the youth movement and has been since the start of our rebuilding process. Guys like Schwartz, Tarasenko, Rattie, Jaskin, Allen, Cole... all coming onto the team in waves as they are help create such a stable flow of talent, it's hard to say no to Allen. The future is now and Jake is a key component of that future.

Bluesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 07:22 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBLUES44 View Post
would elliott for a third? be a decent trade in this deep draft this year? and it would save us a few hundred thousand dollars in salary.
I really don't see how trading Elliott for a draft pick helps us at all.

The only way I trade Elliott is if we are trading for an impact defenseman and throwing him in helps get the deal done (unlikely).

It's too risky to trade him right now. Allen has a good future and his time will come (he could possibly be here next season). I think there's a chance Elliott is gone in the offseason, but not right now. He'll stay the rest of the season. It's just the easiest, safest option.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote