HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Superstar players and their linemates

Old
02-19-2013, 03:34 AM
daver

vCash: 500
Superstar players and their linemates

I hear the argument made quite often that a star player's stats would increase significantly if they had better linemates i.e Crosby, Malkin, Tavares.

I think there are many examples of a average player's stats increasing when playing with a superstar but I am looking for examples of when an established superstar saw his stats jump when paired with a star linemate. To me, it seems the great ones produce regardless of who they are playing with and that the acquisition of a star linemate may make the team better but not necessarily make the superstar stats better.

daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:30 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

vCash: 500
It has more to do with chemistry than anything, but I would say it affects wingers more than centers. Crosby or Malkin will produce regardless of who their wingers are, but if you look at someone like Ilya Kovalchuk, his best year came the only year in his career when he was playing with an elite center (Marc Savard).

DKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2013, 05:44 AM
Follower of Yzlam
OH YEEEEAH

vCash: 134
Well the argument is Stamkos needs Marty to be effective, but there's another argument where Marty needs Stamkos. I can't even tell anymore.

I will say that Stamkos tends to produce no matter who is on his line, but I think a good playmaker is going to benefit from playing with a good finisher. I am curious as to what type of mutual benefit him and a playmaker superstar like Crosby or Thornton. Could you see a 90 assist season again?

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote